PDA

View Full Version : Fork Seals

mdlb
Thu May 1st, 2014, 09:34 AM
Hey-
Wondering if anyone knows of a shop that could do a quick turnaround on replacing a set of fork seals on a 2005 SV 650? I noticed a leak last monday when I had the bike the back of the truck to go out to HPR and now that they have openned another day this Monday I would love to get out there. I have called the two shops I have used in the past and they are both booked. Any help would :headbang:.
Thanks
Matthew

WolFeYeZ
Thu May 1st, 2014, 09:40 AM
Call TFOG maybe. He did mine off the bike fairly quickly. He might be swamped with the season through.

mdlb
Thu May 1st, 2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks, already called, he is booked till the second week in June.

mdub
Thu May 1st, 2014, 10:00 AM
I bought Seal Mate. No mo leak. Fay sells then for six bucks

UglyDogRacing
Thu May 1st, 2014, 10:01 AM
Try http://www.imperialsportbikes.com/

Jmetz
Thu May 1st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Do it yourself. It's not terribly difficult. Took me about a half day not really knowing what I was doing. Just make sure you get or borrow a seal driver.

Richie-Rich
Thu May 1st, 2014, 09:51 PM
I bought Seal Mate. No mo leak. Fay sells then for six bucks

+1

Try it! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350982813258?lpid=82

some times a little dirt can get up there and break the seal.

BushyAR15
Fri May 2nd, 2014, 05:11 AM
Its not hard, but if you are going to do it yourself, make sure you take the time to to do it right… You can make the tool for the seal; check youtube. Just make sure you get the seals in there the correct direction. I got one installed upside down so I got to do it again on one fork… Also I would probably change the fork oil in the other tube to make sure both had fresh oil and the same quantity…

mdlb
Fri May 2nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
I bought Seal Mate. No mo leak. Fay sells then for six bucks Thanks for the info, grabbed one yesterday and it appears to be holding well. No more oil residue.

mdub
Fri May 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/squidbilly1/Funny.jpg

UHATEIT
Sat May 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
What is this fork seal stuff for $6. I wish i had seen that before. I also have a 2005 sv650 and my seals were leaking but the cost of replacing them was expensive. I just ended up buying fresh forks of bueller replacing and them sold my leaking forks for less than i paid for the full replacement forks. Shops wanted like $250 to replace the seals alone but o bought mesh forks for $140 and sold the leaky seals ones for $180. But a can of $6 stuff would have been a can nice option

Jmetz
Sat May 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
What is this fork seal stuff for $6. I wish i had seen that before. I also have a 2005 sv650 and my seals were leaking but the cost of replacing them was expensive. I just ended up buying fresh forks of bueller replacing and them sold my leaking forks for less than i paid for the full replacement forks. Shops wanted like $250 to replace the seals alone but o bought mesh forks for $140 and sold the leaky seals ones for $180. But a can of $6 stuff would have been a can nice option

It's Scott's magic fork sealer in a can. Just one spray and it seals those babies up tighter then a nuns legs!

Aaron
Sat May 3rd, 2014, 05:13 PM
Personally I wouldn't go near a bike with that stuff. Maybe as a temporary emergency fix to get me home, but that's it. Leaking fork seals can be a really dangerous thing to leave to a $6 can of spray sealer. It's leaking for a reason, it'll leak again.

I wish I would've seen this earlier, I'd offer to do it for you and save you a bunch of money, but I can't until next weekend now.

#1Townie
Sat May 3rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Dub this guy is trying to jack your name bro!!

FZRguy
Sat May 3rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
It's nothing in a can, a tool to clean the seal.

http://sealmate.net/

mdub
Sun May 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM

Its all all cool man!!!

NZ Darren
Sun May 4th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Have a leaking seal as well.
I ordered a sealmate, would be an easy fix if it works, worth a shot to see if its just a dirty seal causing the leak.
Otherwise its to the shop for me :(

#1Townie
Sun May 4th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Its all all cool man!!!
Oh heeellllll naaaaaaahhhhhhh. ... we need to get crazy!!

Native
Sun May 4th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Its all all cool man!!!

Oh heeellllll naaaaaaahhhhhhh. ... we need to get crazy!!

tis the season

#1Townie
Sun May 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I'm going to start a riot and run at the police roadblock naked diving right into my ass whooping!

Aaron
Sun May 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Ass whooping? I'm thinking they skip right to shots fired for you. Call it a special gift!

#1Townie
Mon May 5th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Stop undressing me with your eyes Aaron.

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Ya gurls need to pm each other naked boob pics...

#1Townie
Mon May 5th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Naaa I'm not into cops.... but you on the other hand.....

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:18 PM
tis the season

Tis the season you get up on dee nutz mutha fker!!!!

Native
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Tis the season you get up on dee nutz mutha fker!!!!

let's take it to the track poser!

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Haha.... Gotta get me a lil 250 to start off first ....

milehizx6r
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Aaron is right. To use a chemical like that to Band Aid a leak is crazy. Spend the money and replace the seals and change the fluid. I'm doing mine myself this weekend. It's not that difficult.
Personally I wouldn't go near a bike with that stuff. Maybe as a temporary emergency fix to get me home, but that's it. Leaking fork seals can be a really dangerous thing to leave to a $6 can of spray sealer. It's leaking for a reason, it'll leak again.

I wish I would've seen this earlier, I'd offer to do it for you and save you a bunch of money, but I can't until next weekend now.

Bueller
Tue Jul 8th, 2014, 03:10 PM
It's not a chemical, it's a "tool". I use a very thin feeler gauge or we used to use 35mm film (negatives). I would imagine a playing card would work too.
I always try cleaning them before replacing. I have good success with the cleaning but some times they just need to be replaced.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jul 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Personally I wouldn't go near a bike with that stuff. Maybe as a temporary emergency fix to get me home, but that's it. Leaking fork seals can be a really dangerous thing to leave to a $6 can of spray sealer. It's leaking for a reason, it'll leak again. Too funny!! Where do people get their info?!?

It's not a chemical, it's a "tool". I use a very thin feeler gauge or we used to use 35mm film (negatives). I would imagine a playing card would work too.
I always try cleaning them before replacing. I have good success with the cleaning but some times they just need to be replaced.Kim's WR had a tube leaking, ran a feeler gauge around the tube, no more leak. That was over five years ago.

Jmetz
Tue Jul 8th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Too funny!! Where do people get their info?!?

I may or may not have had anything to do with it. :lol:

It's Scott's magic fork sealer in a can. Just one spray and it seals those babies up tighter then a nuns legs!

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Jul 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I may or may not have had anything to do with it. :lol:Damn it Kyle.

We saw a couple trucks with your stickers this last weekend on our way to the sand hills. I've seen them around town, but it was cool to see them that far away...

Jmetz
Wed Jul 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM
It's what I do. :lol:

I saw my first one on Sunday while sitting in traffic on I-25 out of the Springs. It was cool to see.

FZRguy
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM
How did you like the Walden dunes?

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM
How did you like the Walden dunes?Actually, it was pretty cool. I would definitely go back. We were wishing we hadn't sold our quads, though!!! There was some stuff for the dirt bikes, but not a lot.

Had a blast with the RC trucks and Kim's quad-copter has lights, so you can fly at night. I was flying over every one's camp and people loved it. It totally looks like a UFO with all the red a blue and other LEDs. Brought the smoker and smoked up some chickens and 4" thick rib-eyes with cherry wood. DAMN!!!! That was good!!

All-in-all, an excellent trip!!!