PDA

View Full Version : Black Canyon + much more. July 12-13. [UPDATED]

summit82
Mon May 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM
UPDATED README UPDATED

I’m planning an awesome two-day ride for July 12-13 which is packed full of twisty canyons, steep mountain passes, etc and features a visit to the Black Canyon. See maps below. I road almost this same route solo last summer and had a blast. Each day is about 300 miles or 7 hours. The pace will be fast/spirited as there's a lot of ground to cover, but we won’t be rushed to beat the clock. We'll spend the night in a hotel near the Black Canyon in Delta (see hotel details below). There should be time Saturday evening or Sunday morning to walk around and take pictures at the Black Canyon Park (free).

Please be a proficient motorcyclist if you decide to join the group. Also, please don’t be a douchebag.

At the moment, it looks like there will be around 8 people on this ride

HOTEL

Rodeway Inn
2124 S. Main Street, Delta, CO, US, 81416
(970) 874-9726

~$70 per room and has a pool

Hotel is your responsibility. If you’re serious about coming, book a room ASAP. I’ve booked two extra rooms (4 people). PM me if you want a bed in one of these two rooms.

MEETING TIME AND LOCATION

Moco
8:15am 12 July, KSU 8:30

THE ROUTE

Day1: Bear Creak, Kerr Gulch, Squaw Pass, Guanella Pass, Loveland Pass, Swan Mountain, Freemont Pass, Independence Pass, McClure Pass, Hotchkiss

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Morrison,+CO&daddr=Kerr+Gulch+Road,+Evergreen,+CO+to:Squaw+Pass ,+CO+to:39.7026327,-105.6097786+to:Guanella+Pass,+CO+to:Loveland+Pass, +CO+to:Swan+Mountain,+CO+to:Leadville,+CO+to:Aspen ,+CO+to:Hotchkiss,+CO&hl=en&ll=39.291797,-106.45752&spn=2.571905,4.202271&sll=39.110883,-106.853027&sspn=1.297839,2.101135&geocode=Fd8QXQIdROm6-SnDT0W9F3hrhzFoElgtTVUA7w%3BFelqXQIdwAy5-Skp1CoFoJ5rhzHmcGiCUXcfcg%3BFYp9XQIdb4W2-SnDNi1u-6NrhzE-YzMk7anskA%3BFWjQXQIdzoW0-SmreXNVma9rhzFOYo_fdWGjKw%3BFesrXAId9Pmy-Sl_ZfkGNqprhzFCsjqry5uPTA%3BFe43XQIddmmw-SktpVnehlFqhzEHXfr8oqadJw%3BFRJHXAId0ISu-SGXn0xd5jF99ykd8pCpJ1pqhzGXn0xd5jF99w%3BFYfrVgId1B qq-Smdlwg7JJFqhzEh7ejfiTCkRQ%3BFToCVgId_Rei-Sl9PEH3fDlAhzFy9ix43EIrwQ%3BFVsJUAIdsVSU-SknyiEtE7lAhzHuz_0NtOxukw&oq=Hotch&mra=ls&via=3&t=m&z=8

Day2: Black Canyon, Hwy 50 East, Teller County Roads, Cripple Creek, Deckers, Pine Junction, Home

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hotchkiss,+CO&daddr=Gunnison,+CO+to:Salida,+CO+to:38.588013,-105.418212+to:38.774248,-105.287555+to:Cripple+Creek,+CO+to:Woodland+Park,+ CO+to:Deckers,+CO+to:Sedalia,+CO&hl=en&ll=38.899583,-106.342163&spn=2.586246,4.202271&sll=39.019184,-106.452026&sspn=2.581886,4.202271&geocode=FVsJUAIdsVSU-SknyiEtE7lAhzHuz_0NtOxukw%3BFaEpTAId93Kg-SmfW4P1w5I_hzHskqdFEJ12zA%3BFT_-SwIdypWu-SldLrhRwBcVhzG24a8hAO8rug%3BFW3OTAIdHHK3-Q%3BFeilTwIdfXC5-Q%3BFR86TwIdNRu7-SlNzMF7haQUhzEDxiUnbcNK0Q%3BFdn_UgIdXvW8-SlBvg3Fy6oUhzFvYb-VdC4fzQ%3BFe78VgIdKly6-SnrNA3rLkNrhzHgQczcaJXAiQ%3BFYbCWQIdJ3G--SkNuLnjAlxrhzH0cbooWBMcSw&oq=Hotch&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Possible addition (Grand Mesa Byway): It would be really cool to incorporate this road somehow at the end of the 1st day or beginning of the 2nd

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hotchkiss,+CO&daddr=4899+Grand+Mesa+Scenic+Byway,+De+Beque,+CO+8 1630&geocode=FVsJUAIdsVSU-SknyiEtE7lAhzHuz_0NtOxukw%3BFf7gVQIdBMKL-SnJv5XzfNhGhzEz0OFtaDSR3w&t=m&z=10

Clovis
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Black Canyon is my favorite day ride. It's a 500 mile loop from Colorado Springs or Denver that can easily be done in a day.

Normally with a small group, plan for 12 hours with a long lunch in Crawford; solo I got it down to 8 hours and 45 minutes.

Every year we do a "Firecracker 500" which is the black canyon 500, but when done on the 4th of July it becomes the 'firecracker'. This year's 4th is conveniently on a Friday (3 day weekend!).

Anyhow, if you want to make a weekend of it and can stand a tad under 500 miles per day over 2 days, you should check out the Durango trip. This trip will probably happen in June or July.

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Have fun iron butts

summit82
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Clovis, I was expecting you’d chime in on a post about a long ride, especially one that includes the Black Canyon. Thanks for the comments.

This route is best done in two days because it covers a LOT more than the Black Canyon and mostly excludes highways/interstates. Plus, it allows plenty of time to experience the Black Canyon in the morning of the second day.

Glad you mentioned the Firecracker 500. Might adjust the date of my ride to avoid conflict. 400 miles is about the max I can do in one day before my body and mind shut down.

Do you know of any alternate routes to get from Gunnison to Cripple Creek?

summit82
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Have fun iron butts

A real adventure like this isn't for everyone

Native
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:42 PM
yep I'm in, no inputs though I'm a follower

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:44 PM
YouR right J.M.

mdub
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:45 PM
A real adventure like this isn't for everyone

Ur right J.M.

summit82
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:55 PM
yep I'm in, no inputs though I'm a follower

Cool!

I think I found a van for track days. Could hold two bikes, but would be snug

summit82
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Ur right J.M.

Dubster, don't knock it so quickly. I'm sure you'd have fun

Native
Mon May 5th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Cool!

I think I found a van for track days. Could hold two bikes, but would be snug

yeh I'm up for that since your buyin lol

Nolan
Tue May 6th, 2014, 12:34 AM
This might be above my level but definitely interested.

Redline
Tue May 6th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I am down for a nice long ride, but not two days of it. I would need to come home in between days.

mdub
Tue May 6th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Dubster, don't knock it so quickly. I'm sure you'd have fun

I might just go

Native
Tue May 6th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I might just go

I might even pitch an getcha a tank of fuel, provided it's at reasonable city prices :vader:

mdub
Tue May 6th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I should be ok . I have aluminum cans and scrap metal piling up behind my trailer. This Friday gonna recycle.

summit82
Tue May 6th, 2014, 08:23 AM

You'll be fine Nolan. Pace will be fast but not balls to the wall

I am down for a nice long ride, but not two days of it. I would need to come home in between days.

You could ride with us on the first day to Carbondale and then book it home on I70

Generic
Tue May 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I'm going to think about this one.

-Murdock

JimDog
Tue May 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Same here.

Nolan
Tue May 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm in. More than likely.

Drama2
Tue May 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Possible x 2....well rpmwfo is in.

Clovis
Tue May 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM
To be honest, I think you will have better luck modifying the route and doing it over 1 day.

I took your starting location of Morrison, CO and finishing location of Sedalia, CO and then modified the route for what I would ride.

This cuts out I-70 all together (replaces with 285) and is 544 miles which is a solid 12-13 hours of riding. There is also a short cut between Crawford and Panoia which cuts out Hotchkiss and saves

http://goo.gl/maps/gvUu1

For long rides, my goal is to cover an average of 50 miles per hour. So 544 milese "should" take 11 hours plus an hour for lunch and an hour for time wasters (pictures). If you can cover 50 miles every hour, then you are making great time.

I ride Black Canyon myself 15-20 times per year, sometimes with a small group but usually solo. I'm just waiting for Indie Pass to open on 5/22 :)

If I'm by myself, figure 9 to 10 hours but I don't stop for lunch. I either bring my own or do without.

With a group 12 hours or so.

Usuaully what we do, if we have groups leaving from Denver and Colorado Springs is we meet at Jan's Resturant in Buena Vista, CO.

They have kick ass breakfast, lots of seating and friendly service. Also directly across from the Shell gas station in town (with the ice cream cone sign).

Buena Vista is roughly 122 miles from Denver 93 milesl from the Springs so it works out.

From Buena Vista you you will do a loop of the black canyon. It's just a matter of do we hit Indie Pass first or Monarch Pass first.

http://goo.gl/maps/0yhge Counter-Clock wise (Indie Pass first)-- It's 317 miles from Buena Vista to Buena Vista

http://goo.gl/maps/ycwHF - Clockwise version (Monarch first). This has the route ending at the stop sign of 82 and 24. From here the Denver peeps usually go left and take 24 to I70 and the Springs peeps turn right and head to Buena Vista and then take 285/24 home. 297 miles starting in Buena Vista and ending at this point.

http://goo.gl/maps/gxVgb Clockwise version (Monarch first) - ends in Buena Vista, also 317 miles.

http://goo.gl/maps/Am97R This is my own personal route when riding solo or just leaving from Colorado Springs and not meeting folks in Buena Vista first. 495 miles.

Pro tip: Check the weather forecast. If afternoon rain is in the forecast hit Indie Pass first. Going up Indie in the rain sucks. Going up Monarch in the rain sucks a lot less.

If weather isn't a factor and it's clear skies all day here are the differences:

I typically refer to do the clock wise ration (Monarch Pass > Gunnison > Black Canyon > Crawford > McClure > Carbondale > Indie Pass.

The primary reason is I like going up Indie Pass a little more from from Aspen to Twin Lakes.

This is also a little better for the Denver people because from the interesection of 82 and 24 they can either go left and head to Leadville and I70 home or they can go to Buena Vista and take 285 home... rather then coming out at Salida and having to trek north a bit.

BUT -- the other way is 95% as much fun. Hitting Monarch late in the day is also fun. Monarch has a lot of wide sweepers on the western side that you get to climb up and that's always a blast.

In any case, this is a fun ride and definately my favorite Colorado ride.

troydba
Tue May 6th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Awesome Route! I'm going to steal it LOL!

guambra2001
Tue May 6th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I'm interested in joining, one question though what's is the pace of this ride? And I only ask because I got turned down for a ride last year for the fire cracker 500 due to my motorcycle being a Ninja 300 (still went on my own though!). Don't get me wrong I'm not a newbie but I'm limited in the high speed stuff. I'm familiar with the ride so even if I'm left behind a little I'll eventually catch up no prob.

Ph03niX
Tue May 6th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I need a gel seat before I fill my gas tank twice in one day LOL.

Clovis
Tue May 6th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Screw the gel seat, just get an Air Hawk seat cushion. That's the best thing if you're not going to go all out and get a Russell Day Long Saddle.

Clovis
Tue May 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Matt (Drift) who isn't on CSC anymore (I think he moved) did a Firecracker with us in 2008 on his 250 and again in 2011. That was the last time I saw him unfortantely. Great rider!

With that said, the little 250 struggled to keep up. The top speed is around 95mph and less at higher altitude but he still did fine. He was probably glad he had the 250 when a group of 6 of us got popped on Highway 24 by good ole' Park County and he hummed by doing 65 :)

I'm interested in joining, one question though what's is the pace of this ride? And I only ask because I got turned down for a ride last year for the fire cracker 500 due to my motorcycle being a Ninja 300 (still went on my own though!). Don't get me wrong I'm not a newbie but I'm limited in the high speed stuff. I'm familiar with the ride so even if I'm left behind a little I'll eventually catch up no prob.

Shawnzy
Tue May 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I'm totally in. Also screw a 1 day ride. 12-13 hours? Yeah, no. That's just not fun for a lot of us. I agree with the 2 day set up. Plus I HATE riding at night so I like to avoid it. I'm pretty shot after 6-8 hours of spirited riding. I think I'd probably die from making a mistake in a turn or something at hour 12.

summit82
Wed May 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Pace will be fast but not insane. I don't see a problem if you're an experienced rider and know how to push that bike. Probably unnecessary but we could establish beforehand a few meetup locations to use in case you fall behind. It’s sad to hear about someone being rejected from a ride for the reason you stated.

troydba
Wed May 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
*** peace

Native
Wed May 7th, 2014, 07:45 AM
fyi you just insulted one of the most sane, reasonable persons here

Drano
Wed May 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I don't know how long the Firecracker 500 has been going, but it's not something new that's just emerging within CSC. That being said, it's 500 miles, so there's not much that can be done to lessen the speeds necessary to accomplish this ride if the plan is to get it done in a day. So, it more or less implies an imperative to ride fast since it's essentially a race against the clock. It's a fun ride, but you will be worked by the end due to the intensity of the pace.

Not all rides posted will have requirements that all riders, or their rides, can meet. There will be rides for experts that newer riders should avoid, and not all rides will be at sane speeds. It may seem unwelcoming to discourage attendance for certain rides, but it's better to be warned beforehand rather than ride into a potentially dangerous, uncomfortable situation completely unaware. I wouldn't be insulted by this. Take it for what it is: a ride that is not for everyone, and move on.

I will say this: I have done the 1-day, 500 miles route twice, and both times I got to have lovely conversations with law enforcement officers. One time I even got to pay the fun tax. Ironically, both times were also due to law enforcement being called in by civilians due to reckless behavior (illegal passes) by the group. I've found that I'm not comfortable with this style of riding due to the negative attention it draws, so I simply choose not to go on those rides any more. However, if you want to ride those roads at a more comfortable pace, plan accordingly. Book a hotel and do it over two days which is, last I checked, exactly what summit82 has planned. It sounds like it will be a nice enjoyable ride without the stress of pushing the limits, and there's nothing wrong with that.

troydba
Wed May 7th, 2014, 08:15 AM
fyi you just insulted one of the most sane, reasonable persons here

It was not my intent to "insult" anyone, but consider the otherside...

Pushing to keep up. Maybe the ride should come with a warning label --> FAST PACE
This may not be for me...

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone. I just can't get down with the "Push to keep up with ME" approach that I INFER from the postings. This just may be my sensativity to the concept. I own my "stuff" LOL!

This is my burden...I'll hush up... LOL!

Nolan
Wed May 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I was going to comment but whatever....

Clovis
Wed May 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Drano speaks the truth.

He and I got pulled over the "last time" because some haters called ahead that we passed them on a (safe) double yellow.

But that incident was more about road rage... two pick up trucks towing a trailer of fire wood, traveling below the speed limit, holding up traffic on Hwy 24 west of Divide. There was a caravan of cars backed up behind these two on this single lane road.

When Drano and I went to pass them, we passed the first truck without incident but the lead truck swurved out into the oncoming lane in an attempt to block the pass (or run us off the road).

Couple of red necks got their precious egos hurt and called the Teller County Sheriffs that we were "speeding and passing on double yellows".

By the way, if you ever find yourself in that situation the correct response is "No, I did not make any unsafe passes".

Anyhow, not all rides are for all people and "The Pace" varies from group to group.

There are noob friendly rides, intermediate rides (such as my Durango trip in June, posted up last night) and other rides are expert such as The Devil's highway trip.

The difficulty level comes from not just the difficulty of the roads and experience required to navigiate them safely while also having fun, but the number of miles to cover.

The firecracker 500 is a yearly tradition (started back in 2008). It's a race against the clock in regards of you only have so much day light. You don't need to run at an insane pace to make it. By November 2012 I was covering the complete route in 8 hours and 45 minutes riding at my normal pace which for me feels normal and easy paced but others would call it fast. It all depends on your experience level and riding style.

I'm also used to riding that many miles. A short day trip for me is 350 miles and full day is a Black Canyon 500 mile ride. The bikes I own make this possible.

I have an FJR and FZ1 and before the FZ1 I had an FZ6 but I started on an R1. All Yamahas. If you're not familiar with the FZ, they are Yamaha's "budget" sport bikes but the share the previous model R1 and R6 engines, retuned for more mid-range power as opposed to top end power.

On the R1 I was pretty much done after 200 miles and I rarely went beyond Evergreen on a single day. The FZ6 and FZ1 however have standard riding positions and are a hell of a lot more comfortable. The FJR is a sport touring bike and is even more comfortable for eating up miles, yet all of these bikes can "get down" and do very well in the twisties.

Anyhow, I encourage anyone who goes to enjoy yourself. The Black Canyon is a lot of fun and there's lots of photo opportunities. Take your time, take lots of pictures, have a blast!

Btw, looks like I may be running a Yellowstone 3 or 4 day trip this 4th July weekend instead of the Firecracker 500.

Bash usually hosts this ride, but I'm not sure if he'll be around this summer. Anyone can do it. I've posted the routes earlier in this thread.

Regarding the Ninja 250/300. That bike is fine in the twisties but the entire ride is not all twisties but the entire ride is not twisties. There is just a limit to how fast the bike can go and keep up with the group.

In the 2011 run, we used a buddy system and I paired up with Drift (on his 250). I've always liked riding with Matt, he formally had a 600 before getting the Ninja in 2008 but it was a little frustrating being unable to pass cars if more then 1 car in front of us. The bike just lacks the power, especially at 8000-10000 feet elevation to quickly and safely pass cars.

He still made the trip though and finished with the group. There was just a lot of waiting for him to peddle and catch up :)

I don't know how long the Firecracker 500 has been going, but it's not something new that's just emerging within CSC. That being said, it's 500 miles, so there's not much that can be done to lessen the speeds necessary to accomplish this ride if the plan is to get it done in a day. So, it more or less implies an imperative to ride fast since it's essentially a race against the clock. It's a fun ride, but you will be worked by the end due to the intensity of the pace.

Not all rides posted will have requirements that all riders, or their rides, can meet. There will be rides for experts that newer riders should avoid, and not all rides will be at sane speeds. It may seem unwelcoming to discourage attendance for certain rides, but it's better to be warned beforehand rather than ride into a potentially dangerous, uncomfortable situation completely unaware. I wouldn't be insulted by this. Take it for what it is: a ride that is not for everyone, and move on.

I will say this: I have done the 1-day, 500 miles route twice, and both times I got to have lovely conversations with law enforcement officers. One time I even got to pay the fun tax. Ironically, both times were also due to law enforcement being called in by civilians due to reckless behavior (illegal passes) by the group. I've found that I'm not comfortable with this style of riding due to the negative attention it draws, so I simply choose not to go on those rides any more. However, if you want to ride those roads at a more comfortable pace, plan accordingly. Book a hotel and do it over two days which is, last I checked, exactly what summit82 has planned. It sounds like it will be a nice enjoyable ride without the stress of pushing the limits, and there's nothing wrong with that.

One-ops
Wed May 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Looks Fun!!!
Im in for the two day!

Aaron
Wed May 7th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Depending on how many people go, put me in (2 day). I'll probably have trouble keeping up in the corners.

Tiutis
Wed May 7th, 2014, 06:29 PM
The dates don't work for me but I'd love to do the 2-day trip and see spend more time at the Black Canyon sometime. That place is too gorgeous just to fly by.

summit82
Wed May 7th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Drama on CSC…lol

Drano and Clovis both presented some very good points

Troybda: No hard feelings about your deleted post. You must have misinterpreted my reply to guambra2001. I meant that if he’s an experienced rider and knows how to safely push his 300cc bike, then he shouldn’t have a problem keeping up with the group. I was not implying that he should push beyond his skill level. These are two very different things.

To all: On this ride I certainty do not want anyone to crash because they feel pressured into riding above their skill level while struggling to stay with the group. Even if you don’t crash, you will feel uncomfortable and not enjoy the ride. Furthermore, riding beyond your limits jeopardizes the safety of others in our group and on the road. It might seem cliché, but there is much wisdom in the old motorcycle group riding adage “ride your own ride”. Please be a proficient motorcyclist if you decide to participate.

We probably scared off guambra2001 :applause:

FZRguy
Wed May 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Hotchkiss Inn was fine last time I stayed there for a basic motel room. Also a grocery store directly across the street and a couple diners in town. If you want to go upscale, the Bross B&B in Paonia nine miles up the road is very nice. Also more and better dining choices in Paonia. Delta 20 miles to the west has more of everything.

Aaron
Wed May 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
What about liquor? And hookers? Good availability and selection?

summit82
Wed May 7th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Hotchkiss Inn was fine last time I stayed there for a basic motel room. Also a grocery store directly across the street and a couple diners in town. If you want to go upscale, the Bross B&B in Paonia nine miles up the road is very nice. Also more and better dining choices in Paonia. Delta 20 miles to the west has more of everything.

Thanks for the info. Any preferred restaurants?

What about liquor? And hookers? Good availability and selection?

It sounds like we have a volunteer to organize the most important aspects of our trip

Just noticed you have S1000RR listed.... Trouble keeping up in the corners? Really?

Aaron
Thu May 8th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I can definitely take care of the highlights.

Haha I won't have any trouble keeping up, but there are faster riders out there for sure. I don't like to push it on the street. If traction control intercedes, I'm riding way too fast.

troydba
Thu May 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Drama on CSC…lol

Troybda: No hard feelings about your deleted post. You must have misinterpreted my reply to guambra2001. I meant that if he’s an experienced rider and knows how to safely push his 300cc bike, then he shouldn’t have a problem keeping up with the group. I was not implying that he should push beyond his skill level. These are two very different things.

To all: On this ride I certainty do not want anyone to crash because they feel pressured into riding above their skill level while struggling to stay with the group. Even if you don’t crash, you will feel uncomfortable and not enjoy the ride. Furthermore, riding beyond your limits jeopardizes the safety of others in our group and on the road. It might seem cliché, but there is much wisdom in the old motorcycle group riding adage “ride your own ride”. Please be a proficient motorcyclist if you decide to participate.

You are right...I did misinterpret the "push" language.

I have been frustrated trying to find the front door to this sportbike world.
Alienating people is probably not the way to go about it LOL, and I seriously do not want to be "That Guy"!

I just wanted to thank you for being so gracious.

Again, I sincerely apologize.

-Troydba

Drano
Thu May 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Drama on CSC…lol

I've ridden with Guambra before, and even for being on that 300, he can hang with big bikes for sure.

Generic
Thu May 8th, 2014, 08:47 AM
So everyone knows, I'm not an aggressive rider and I've never felt pressure on CSC rides. I just go at my pace and I catch up with the faster riders at junctions and the people slower than me catch up with me. We all have our pace and you'll quickly identify who rides near your level and just cruise with them. I never had anyone pressuring me to keep up or ride faster.

JimDog
Thu May 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
So everyone knows, I'm not an aggressive rider and I've never felt pressure on CSC rides. I just go at my pace and I catch up with the faster riders at junctions and the people slower than me catch up with me. We all have our pace and you'll quickly identify who rides near your level and just cruise with them. I never had anyone pressuring me to keep up or ride faster.

Hearing that makes me more inclined to join in....with all the back and forth in this thread I was starting to think I'd just avoid this ride and wait for some more newbie rides. I'll get a better feel for where I'm at with relation to others in a few weeks on a newbie ride I've already signed up for :)

Nolan
Thu May 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Be realistic in your abilities. Post your own rides and show up to the ones you can. The season is just starting FINALLY and there's plenty of time to get egos and feelings hurt.

Aaron
Thu May 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM
And that's what The Pace is all about, and the way it should be. I don't discourage slow/new riders from joining on the belief that they'll hold us all back, that doesn't bother me at all.

Why I think some rides should be separated by ability is we all know what happens to the male when the male in front of him decides to step it up. And that's when people get hurt. I know we've all seen it. And while minor delays while we wait at a junction is no big deal, blocking Hwy 7 while Flight For Life lands kind of is.

So if you honestly think you can avoid the competition complex we all have, by all means leather yourself up and join. It is possible, I've ridden with a lot of riders who recognize the guy ahead is barely faster, and they let him walk away. I'd like to think I'm this way too, but I know I'm also very competitive. Plus no one walks away from my bike.

Nolan
Thu May 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Nobody walks from my bike..... It's more like theirs is rocket powered.

summit82
Thu May 8th, 2014, 05:18 PM
:horse: There is a whole chapter in Nick Ienatsch's book "Sport Riding Techniques" about "The Pace" and group riding. For those who haven't read it, I highly recommended it. Here are a couple links

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/become-a-better-street-rider-with-the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills/

Drama2
Thu May 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Why did you have to bring my name into it. ; (

[QUOTE=summit82;756157]Drama on CSC…lol

The Black Knight
Thu May 8th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I can definitely take care of the highlights.

Haha I won't have any trouble keeping up, but there are faster riders out there for sure. I don't like to push it on the street. If traction control intercedes, I'm riding way too fast.

LOL!! dude you would have hated riding with my old group of guys. Back in the day when I got into serious canyon riding, we had one pace and that was "Alien" pace. I look back now at how many close calls, near misses and speed limits that were obliterated and just realize that I'm glad I made it to an older and wiser age. Saw a lot of guys go down, which is why I eventually took that kind of riding to the track. Which the best thing, because believe it or not, we were actually getting our tires to show small amounts of abrasion. The same abrasion you get on the track where the tires get little balls of rubber on them. Obviously we didn't get it to the same level as track riding, but there was more than one ride I can recall were my tires were starting to show some abrasion.

I look back now and realize that if you have to be constantly bleeding off speed at every corner(with the brakes), you're probably riding too fast for the street. Now, I ride a way more reserved pace and let the engine do the slowing for me in the corners and rarely use the brakes. But back in the day, I'd have my brakes just scorching to the touch.

Bueller
Thu May 8th, 2014, 06:34 PM
LOL!! dude you would have hated riding with my old group of guys. Back in the day when I got into serious canyon riding, we had one pace and that was "Alien" pace.

I rode with that guy,once..... that was enough.

guambra2001
Thu May 8th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Pace will be fast but not insane. I don't see a problem if you're an experienced rider and know how to push that bike. Probably unnecessary but we could establish beforehand a few meetup locations to use in case you fall behind. It’s sad to hear about someone being rejected from a ride for the reason you stated.
Ok cool thanks for the heads up, one of the things I have to do is clarify the pace just so I don't show up and be denied. I totally understand some rides are meant for fast speed and others are more mellow, that's one thing I miss about having a bigger bike. The last thing I want to do is hold up anyone but I realize I won't keep up with sustained tripple digit speeds. Last year I believe I was the only one that showed interest but Clovis was great in telling me the ride and routes, I think I made it in about 9 hrs or so. So now I know to ask for future reference no biggie.

Drama on CSC…lol

Lol not scared yet, Thanks for the good points.

I've ridden with Guambra before, and even for being on that 300, he can hang with big bikes for sure.
Thank you Drano, that pace through Deckers was wonderful.

Aaron
Thu May 8th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I think I speak for most when I say no one minds waiting for a couple minutes at a junction, you won't hold anyone up. No offense of course, but if I want to ride faster, I'll go around you. What I'm afraid of is a new rider trying to keep up when it's beyond his ability as a rider, and he ends up on the pavement.

GMR
Fri May 9th, 2014, 02:05 AM
*if* I'm not working and still have a license, I'll be going

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I rode with that guy,once..... that was enough.

lol!! yeah Todd had a rather fast pace

Repsol a095
Fri May 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I wish I was as fast as Aaron. He is quick.

mdub
Fri May 9th, 2014, 09:20 AM
this ride is more of a Shinko 230 Tour Master Tire kinda ride....So all go get your

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/OG/633039331768556250230tmrear.jpg

installed...

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
That's why I don't go to the track, everyone there just gets in my way.

Repsol a095
Fri May 9th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Aaron looks for the checkered flag every time. Now that is what I call fast

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Aaron looks for the checkered flag every time. Now that is what I call fast

doesn't even bother with the race, just shows up and they hand him the trophy. Also he sets all the fastest laps. Last lap? please!! Fastest lap of the race by 1.1sec!

Repsol a095
Fri May 9th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I love you, Aaron

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Townie gonna get all jealous and drag you behind his tow truck if he finds out about us

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Aaron + BMW > Marc Marquez and RC213V

:D

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Shit that's Aaron on anything with wheels. Except a Ducati. I just can't race MotoGP because I'm not Spanish. Their racists.

madvlad
Fri May 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Aaron + BMW > Marc Marquez and RC213V

:lol:

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Shit that's Aaron on anything with wheels. Except a Ducati. I just can't race MotoGP because I'm not Spanish. Their racists.

That's not what I heard. Word is several of the Factory manufactures(specifically Honda and Yamaha) were in protest of you and the BMW entering into MotoGP. Honda knew if you entered, their domination of the sport would come to an abrupt end. Though they are reported as willing to dump zillions of dollars into R&D just to bring the RC213V on par with the BMW S1000RR.

But it wasn't just the manufactures that protested. Several high profile riders called in question your imperious riding ability. Here are several quotes from the riders taken during the recent Jerez Gran Prix asking about Aaron's addition to MotoGP:

Marc Marquez -

“I am really happy,” said Marquez at the end of his 100th career GP race. “It is a different victory because Aaron wasn't here on the BMW during the weekend as my level, the level of Dani, Valentino and Jorge was so close, but then in the race if Aaron were to run his BMW, with his pace, we have no chance."

“Anyway, I am in good form at the moment, but I can see that Aaron if he enters MotoGP will win in every race. I'm sure that sooner or later will come a race in which we are unable win(because of Aaron), but we will have to learn from that and try to take important points.”

Valentino Rossi -

“I'm very happy because Jerez is one of my favourite circuits and race weekends and because Aaron is not competing, also for the people around the track and the atmosphere. We worked very well during the weekend and improved the bike, also this morning and it looked like I could be quite competitive for the race.

I'm very proud and happy to arrive in second position here as it was 2010 the last time I stood on the Jerez podium. But for sure if Aaron enters into MotoGP, I will have to work very hard to try for the first position. Even the podium would look out of reach. Is possible he take all three positions on the podium!!”

Jorge Lorenzo -

“I did a bad start today, this weekend we didn't have a good practice start in any session. I tried all my effort to keep up with Valentino, but I was struggling a lot in the early laps, would struggle moreso if Aaron were here today, so when Dani passed me I needed to push more physically and to the limit to keep up with Dani, so I decided to finish the race and not crash, so I could get some points. But if Aaron were here, the advantage he carries is too much and not sure how many points I could take."

“The race was worse than I expected but better than expected as Aaron and his BMW were not on the grid and my physical condition was worse than I expected also so we need to work more on that and wait for our moment. But if Aaron decides to race, our moment may never arrive. Right now, from what I keep hearing he is very fast."

“At this level, if you lack something a rider will exploit it, look at what Aaron does to everyone else on the track when he's there. It is very difficult to fight with the best riders on the planet or Aaron for that matter who is quite possibly the best. Today the Honda is very strong and Marc is very strong, so the combination makes the difference. But the combination of Aaron and the BMW are the best combination. He just has too many advantages."

Even Casey Stoner was on site for a quick comment about Aaron. He merely smirked and said,

"I'm glad I've gone fishing, you know, the guy is way too dangerous and fast to be challenged. If here ever makes it to the track, it doesn't look good for everyone else."

So with that said, it's probably a good thing you stay out of MotoGP. You've got the manufactures and riders in overdrive trying to find ways to compete at the level of the BMW.

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
You sir need a life.

guambra2001
Fri May 9th, 2014, 04:22 PM
That was awesome.

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
You sir need a life.

Haha!! :headbang:

One-ops
Fri May 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Wth is going on in here?

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Wth is going on in here?

just the usual. Discussing how B.A. Aaron would be in MotoGP :)

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM
And how B.A. I am in general. You know I drive a BMW 5 series right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/AaronZ34/BMW/DSCF2315.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AaronZ34/media/BMW/DSCF2315.jpg.html)

The Black Knight
Fri May 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM
And how B.A. I am in general. You know I drive a BMW 5 series right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/AaronZ34/BMW/DSCF2315.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AaronZ34/media/BMW/DSCF2315.jpg.html)
Epitome of B.A. Didn't know you drove one, now I do. You're a beast!! :up:

mdub
Fri May 9th, 2014, 06:29 PM
That is pretty sweeeeet ride... Police impound lot?

Aaron
Fri May 9th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Nope, bought it from the junk yard before they squished it. Thing has so much BA-ness that they were going to total it for a bad water pump. I gave it a second life.

mdub
Fri May 9th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Can't beat that

summit82
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 11:10 PM
SEE UPDATES TO ORIGINAL POST

Jmetz
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't see an issue running up Grand Mesa and Back down at the end of your ride. You could even adjust your end point to GJ if you didn't want to run back down in the same day and just run it down the next morning.

summit82
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't see an issue running up Grand Mesa and Back down at the end of your ride. You could even adjust your end point to GJ if you didn't want to run back down in the same day and just run it down the next morning.

How much time on hwy65 between hwy92 and I70 at a good pace? Want to keep the daily mileage and seat time at the level most people will enjoy

Nolan
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I can't be a douchebag? Well shit. There goes my weekend.

FZRguy
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 12:50 AM
How much time on hwy65 between hwy92 and I70 at a good pace? Want to keep the daily mileage and seat time at the level most people will enjoy

Most def ride the Grand Mesa on day 2 if you stay in Delta. It's only 68 miles from Delta to De Beque/I-70. Or stay on Hwy 65 back to I-70 for some of the best sweepers in the state, which is 79 miles.

Jmetz
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Don't listen to John. Reach down into your pants, you should feel 2 little bumps, those are called balls. Don't be afraid to use them. :lol: Nah. :) If memory serves I think it's about an hour and half each way. See how you guys are feeling when you get into Delta and decide then. You'll have the hotel so if some feel like running it and some don't it won't be an issue. :)

Aaron
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I'm out, my schedule rotated to working weekends.

summit82
Wed Jun 25th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the tips. We'll figure it out

Sorry you won't be joining us Aaron

Generic
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I am in

Jmetz
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Should be fun!

Generic
Wed Jul 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
So, who's coming on this adventure?

Nolan
Wed Jul 9th, 2014, 12:13 PM
ME!

Native
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 05:33 AM
So, who's coming on this adventure?

Nolan
Native
Summit
MDub
JSlew
and yourself

I think

summit82
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Nolan
Native
Summit
MDub
JSlew
and yourself

I think

Right, 6 confirmed with hotel rooms. A few backed out (or crashed).

I have 1 open hotel room (2 queens) reserved, so PM or call me if you want to join us.
806-928-4974

Jmetz
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Have an awesome trip guys! Btw I just ran the Mesa and I want to say it was about 35-40 min between I-70 and and 92.

Clovis
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Very tempted to go actually but I don't think Mrs. Clovis will let me take off for a whole weekend.

mdub
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Right, 6 confirmed with hotel rooms. A few backed out (or crashed).

I have 1 open hotel room (2 queens) reserved, so PM or call me if you want to join us.
806-928-4974

the hookers know which hotel , right?

Slo
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Damn, missed this thread all this time, would have liked to join, too short of notice now and have kids events planned this weekend. Be safe and have fun everyone.

Clovis
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Have a fun and safe trip guys! May possibly see you out around the black canyon on Sunday.

If you see a black FJR with 2 up (both black leathers) and bright LED front auxilary lights that's us.

summit82
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM
the hookers know which hotel , right?

Shit! Aaron was going to arrange hookers and boose but he bailed out

summit82
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
DAMN TRIPLE BYPASS. Of all weekends...
https://www2.triplebypass.org/
Might need to cut out a couple passes along I70

summit82
Fri Jul 11th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Have a fun and safe trip guys! May possibly see you out around the black canyon on Sunday.

If you see a black FJR with 2 up (both black leathers) and bright LED front auxilary lights that's us.

Yeah thanks. That would be cool. I'm on a yellow GSXR600. We might be out West a bit sooner than the original plan due to the peddlers along 70. But that means there should be plenty of time to hit the Mesa too!

Glad to hear your ride last weekend went well (minus the harassment). Did you encounter any road construction/hazards, etc worth mentioning?

Native
Sun Jul 13th, 2014, 06:17 PM
another 5/5 star ride, excellent planning

Nolan
Sun Jul 13th, 2014, 06:24 PM
755 miles door to door.

mdub
Sun Jul 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM
780 fer me . That was an amazing ride to say the least. But I think I can only do such a ride once in a great while..

Generic
Mon Jul 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I'm probably around 760 based on Nolan's 755. Great ride guys, lots of fun and good news! The front camera mount worked out better than expected! Now I just need to edit the video

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/1909512_10152212228742045_8130144510420124852_o.jp g

mdub
Mon Jul 14th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Chris is that the pic on the way to our overnite stay? That was a great section to end the day. The next day was grt as well, but I was not feeling it in comparison to Saturday. Glad you brought your camera. Can't wait for the final product.

Generic
Mon Jul 14th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Chris is that the pic on the way to our overnite stay? That was a great section to end the day. The next day was grt as well, but I was not feeling it in comparison to Saturday. Glad you brought your camera. Can't wait for the final product.

Yea, that was coming down off the Mesa on those giant sweepers.

summit82
Mon Jul 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Glad you all had fun and got to experience some new roads! This was a solid group of riders. Can't believe how lucky we were to completely miss the rain. Grand Mesa was a blast! ... just wish it wasn't so far away. Please send me some pics. And, someone should start planning out our next adventure ride.

Caught a 7am flight this morning for work. Felt totally exhausted until about noon

Generic
Tue Jul 15th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, I made an album on Imgr - http://imgur.com/a/Vbh3v#0

If you want me to upload any images to that, shoot me a PM and I'll get you my email address. I'd like to get the one at Black Canyon with me in it at least.

Thanks!

Generic
Tue Jul 15th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Glad you all had fun and got to experience some new roads! This was a solid group of riders. Can't believe how lucky we were to completely miss the rain. Grand Mesa was a blast! ... just wish it wasn't so far away. Please send me some pics. And, someone should start planning out our next adventure ride.

Caught a 7am flight this morning for work. Felt totally exhausted until about noon

This was so amazing, I really got to work on my technique and I feel like by the end of day two I had improved a lot even though I was tired. Nolan and I caught a little rain when we hit 285 but nothing bad at all, really lucky. I appreciate the pace and you all giving me tips, plus you guys are just fun to hang out with. Looking forward to our next ride!

Oh, as a follow-up, I pitched the "trailer the bikes to North Carolina" idea to Cat. She loved it, my friend and I bought a 3-place trailer today and we are going to plan to go out to NC in September or over Thanksgiving to hit up Blue Ridge, Deals Gap and some other rides.

mdub
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Cool pics Chris!! Especially of my ride.. That was the intersection at Powderhorn entrance, right?

Generic
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Cool pics Chris!! Especially of my ride.. That was the intersection at Powderhorn entrance, right?

Yep, you had it there and it looked good so I just grabbed that with the phone.

mdub
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I should have taken a pic of the one laying dwn..haha

Gramps
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 11:17 AM
This was so amazing, I really got to work on my technique and I feel like by the end of day two I had improved a lot even though I was tired. Nolan and I caught a little rain when we hit 285 but nothing bad at all, really lucky. I appreciate the pace and you all giving me tips, plus you guys are just fun to hang out with. Looking forward to our next ride!

Oh, as a follow-up, I pitched the "trailer the bikes to North Carolina" idea to Cat. She loved it, my friend and I bought a 3-place trailer today and we are going to plan to go out to NC in September or over Thanksgiving to hit up Blue Ridge, Deals Gap and some other rides.

Just a few words of advice from someone who has done a lot of Deal's Gap trips.

September-October time frame is pretty good. Lot's of reasons to stay away during the summer and winter. Thanksgiving there can be a toss up. Could be very cold and rainy or it could be beautiful but there is one thing for sure. The leaves will be all over the road around Thanksgiving. Wet leaves in the morning are like riding on ice.

I can, and several others on this forum, can give you some advice on the NC-GA-TN area that will save you time and money as well as make a huge difference in the success of your trip.

Just ask.

big_sur
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I love the gap in the summer...Tuesday through Thursday from 7-9a and 5-8pm

Gramps
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I love the gap in the summer...Tuesday through Thursday from 7-9a and 5-8pm

Hot and humid but not a lot of people for sure. Give and take I guess. I hear ya though. Let's face it the Gap is pretty great about anytime.

Clovis
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Wouldn't the Devil's highway be a better option? It's only 630ish miles away (from Colorado Springs) to get to Alpine.

It's like the gap but way longer and absolutely no tourist (other than a few motorcycles) and no cops.

Nolan
Wed Jul 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Maybe in August...... Hmmm

Gramps
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 07:05 AM
It's like the gap but way longer and absolutely no tourist (other than a few motorcycles) and no cops.

Nothing is like the Gap. I've seen it debated over and over but the Gap and the surrounding areas are the mecca. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is one road you are driving 24 hours to get to. You can spend a week out there and never ride the same road and most are better than anything most have been on before.

Just saying.

Generic
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Nothing is like the Gap. I've seen it debated over and over but the Gap and the surrounding areas are the mecca. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is one road you are driving 24 hours to get to. You can spend a week out there and never ride the same road and most are better than anything most have been on before.

Just saying.

And that's our plan, she has family in Kentucky so we'll trailer the bikes to her parents then ride from Kentucky down to NC and spend a few days cruising around. It's sightseeing and adventures on the bikes with some amazing roads thrown in.

Gramps
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Nice

Generic
Fri Jul 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I updated the imgur album with some pics Jeff took.

FZRguy
Fri Jul 25th, 2014, 03:16 AM
I agree with Tom, there are lots of amazing roads all over the USA but no place is quite like Deals Gap. Avoid the heat of the summer if you can and ride the Dragon on a weekday. The Microtel in Robbinsville is very nice and motorcyclists get a discount with cont. breakfast included.