PDA

View Full Version : new ride

#1Townie
Sun May 11th, 2014, 10:52 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/nvrider/IMG_20140511_184243_224_zps9b5201c6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/nvrider/IMG_20140511_184256_136_zpscf5b0516.jpg
Picked up a new ride today.

GMR
Mon May 12th, 2014, 12:39 AM
thought you couldn't get any tickets or something?

mdub
Mon May 12th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Moving on up to the east side. Townie finally getting a piece of the pie......

grt tow job . When do you have to return it????

#1Townie
Mon May 12th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Hahahaha.. NEVAAAAHHHH!!!

birchyboy
Mon May 12th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Nice car. Always thought you were a guy, though!

:)

mdub
Mon May 12th, 2014, 07:47 AM
here is townie backing up to pick up a tow

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/GhostStory07/More%20Family%20Pictures/2008_0424RubysBowlingLeague0055.jpg

bulldog
Mon May 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Congrats.....So what model of BMW is that? I considered the 335Xi for a long time and was close to buying one, but then I test drove a new WRX Limited and had never drove a more fun car and went with that.

Wow, are those 20's? Just sold my 19's from my last car and those look even bigger!

Just hit 2500 miles and got some new rims on it (stayed with 17's; getting old).....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/bulldog420/NewRims2_zps8405eac8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/bulldog420/NewRims_zps22d7a57a.jpg

Drama2
Mon May 12th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I dont know whats more scary the bright pink lipstick or the fact you posted a picture of your wife mdub. :)

here is townie backing up to pick up a tow

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/GhostStory07/More%20Family%20Pictures/2008_0424RubysBowlingLeague0055.jpg

mdub
Mon May 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I dont know whats more scary the bright pink lipstick or the fact you posted a picture of your wife mdub. :)

Haha.... No that is Townie and she loves that pink

here are the mdubs yrs back

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee491/walkermi/RoadTripVacation2002153_zps6e14ae7b.jpg

Drama2
Mon May 12th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Ok.....lovely family.

Haha.... No that is Townie and she loves that pink

here are the mdubs yrs back

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee491/walkermi/RoadTripVacation2002153_zps6e14ae7b.jpg

mdub
Mon May 12th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks Drama2.

Sweet ride Nate...

I found this Japanese truck and tweek it a bit

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee491/walkermi/image_zpsdfb55174.jpeg

#1Townie
Mon May 12th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Congrats.....So what model of BMW is that? I considered the 335Xi for a long time and was close to buying one, but then I test drove a new WRX Limited and had never drove a more fun car and went with that.

Wow, are those 20's? Just sold my 19's from my last car and those look even bigger!

Just hit 2500 miles and got some new rims on it (stayed with 17's; getting old).....

Thanks bro its the 335i and yes its sitting on 20s. I'm really enjoying it.

Man the pic of that chick... just howt!! Dont let grim see that pic. He would fall in love!!

The Black Knight
Mon May 12th, 2014, 10:29 AM
very nice Mr. Townie!! :up:

I've considered getting a BMW and trading in my Camaro. But not sure yet, really love my Camaro and I don't think I could drive a BMW as then I'd be encroaching on Aaron's territory, and we can't have that lol!!

bulldog
Mon May 12th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks bro its the 335i and yes its sitting on 20s. I'm really enjoying it.

Figured that was a 335i. My buddy just got the BMW 535xi msport and that thing is sick....he just traded his 335xi for it.

Mdubb...sweet ride too...I want a Japanese truck...always wanted a lifted Toyota Tacoma. Wish they made that Honda truck in a longer bed and non-four door.

mdub
Mon May 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Man the pic of that chick... just howt!! Dont let grim see that pic. He would fall in love!!

photobucket hawt......

yeah dude have fun with ur new ride. dont pick up chicks with adam apples...

Ezzzzy1
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:03 AM
BULLDOG is in the HOUSE!

Aaron
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Nice car Townie, I love the 35's. Not sure how someone could pick a WRX over one, must have white rimmed sunglasses, but I guess they are halfway fun to drive. 35 owns it in every other way.

By the way, coming from someone who may or may not have been in a position to enforce such laws, get rid of those brake light covers ASAP. They were always one of my pet peeves, and I've watched a judge put 100% fault on the owner of them after getting rear ended. Huge liability, and the tickets are easy to write!

By the way: tune, down pipes, intercooler, and you're sitting at 450whp. That 3.0 loves the boost.

bulldog
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:25 AM
photobucket hawt......

yeah dude have fun with ur new ride. dont pick up chicks with adam apples...
Got married April 16th in Cozumel man.....my days of picking up chicks are done. Was a pimp 9 day all inclusive at a 5 star resort.

I see same ole Aaron on here..... the armpit of this site. Was hoping you went away by now...damn. Pretty obvious a new 335xi is quite a bit more than a new WRX....

Aaron
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Ya new to new prices are quite a bit different. But the new 3/4 series suck. The 09-13 can be priced similarly, but if you want new then WRX it is.

longrider
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:41 AM

I don't know if i would call it getting old (even though I am old) as much as being practical. 20's don't bother me on something like a 1/2 ton truck where the tire is 30 - 35" so you still have 5 - 7" of sidewall. On a car like that where you only have maybe 2" of sidewall I would be constantly nervous about destroying a rim on our great roads. You cant dodge every pothole

bulldog
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Ya new to new prices are quite a bit different. But the new 3/4 series suck. The 09-13 can be priced similarly, but if you want new then WRX it is. Yeah I was looking at a used 335xi vs a new WRX. I'd love to get a new 335xi, but was more than I wanted to spend and honestly the "used" scared me because of the lack of warranty; warranty was about to expire on the BMW. I posted a thread about the 335 and appears they are great cars, but if something breaks down out of warranty it gets pricey. Townie seems a bit more mechanical than me, so I bet he can deal with issues I could not.....I can do simple things like oil, belts, sparkplugs, etc. Forgot who on this site told me something that stuck "anyone can afford a German car, but not everyone can afford to keep one". And not dogging on your car at all Townie...I love the 335...I am just getting old and tired of taking risks.

Aaron, glad we could just talk...so much more enjoyable :) Still drooling over my friends BMW 535xi msport...

I don't know if i would call it getting old (even though I am old) as much as being practical. 20's don't bother me on something like a 1/2 ton truck where the tire is 30 - 35" so you still have 5 - 7" of sidewall. On a car like that where you only have maybe 2" of sidewall I would be constantly nervous about destroying a rim on our great roads. You cant dodge every pothole Yeah that was my issue why I gave them up...I felt every bump and crack on road, the roads in CO suck for potholes and ruined a few rims/tires, and unless I spent $3K on Volks I was not going to get a lightweight 19-20" like I could with a 17". I don't know what it is, but the older I get the more I think about things like this. I used to be all about looks on cars, but now I am getting all practical....at least I went with a WRX over like a Prius.

Aaron
Mon May 12th, 2014, 11:56 AM
And unfortunately the 335's reputation for reliability isn't so great. The engine itself is great, but between fuel pumps, coils, water pumps, it's got some issues. And shops will rape you to replace these parts even though thy aren't very difficult.

If you got a Prius I'm pretty sure you'd be banned from here.

Rabbie303
Mon May 12th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Someone was in front of the Qdoba taking pics lol. You live over there?

bulldog
Mon May 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM
And unfortunately the 335's reputation for reliability isn't so great. The engine itself is great, but between fuel pumps, coils, water pumps, it's got some issues. And shops will rape you to replace these parts even though thy aren't very difficult.

If you got a Prius I'm pretty sure you'd be banned from here. Yeah I did my research and found those issues you stated and then called up a few BMW dealerships to see what they would charge to replace them....I nearly feel out of my chair at how much they wanted for repairs. 335xi I was going to get needed new brake pads and were nearly double what I pay for them on a Japanese car. Not sure how true it was, but they stated I had to get BMW parts as many have sensors that know if you used something else. The buddies I know that get BMW's get them new and then trade them in when warranty expires as it is a risk.

Someone was in front of the Qdoba taking pics lol. You live over there? Yup, that was right in front of Qdoba; had just washed the ride and remembered I had not got a pic with the new rims on (as I walked back with my burrito). I live right by there off of Belleview and Windermere.

Rabbie303
Mon May 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Yup, that was right in front of Qdoba; had just washed the ride and remembered I had not got a pic with the new rims on (as I walked back with my burrito). I live right by there off of Belleview and Windermere.

How funny man, I'm down the street from you. Prentice St just before the "S" curve.

#1Townie
Mon May 12th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Well as of now its all under warranty for a few years. But those issues stated wouldn't bother me much. Plus this isn't going to be a daily driver. Its just a toy to enjoy sunny drives around tahoe and maybe along the 101 in Cali.

As for the taillights here in nv all that is required is that they reflect red at a certain distance. As long as I don't associate the car with the racers it won't be much of a issue with local leos. But thanks for the heads up.

I still have to see how far under my truck I can park this car. Lol.

UHATEIT
Tue May 13th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Something's wrong with the taillights, they wont be seeable during the daytime and at night the brake lights will look the same as normal lights :( Looks like someone already asked about those

bulldog
Tue May 13th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Something's wrong with the taillights, they wont be seeable during the daytime and at night the brake lights will look the same as normal lights :( Looks like someone already asked about those How are you guys even seeing the taillights? I see two pics and barely a side view of the taillights. Guess maybe you are all just hating on light covers, yet never thought those were illegal. For all I know maybe there are some super bright LED's in tail/brake lights in that BMW.....

Aaron
Tue May 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM
You can't see much, but you can see that either the lenses are tinted or they have tinted covers on them. Quite simply there's almost no way to do this and stay legal, and it was one of my pet peeves at work, along with license plate covers.

I'd generally make a deal with drivers, they let me remove the covers, and they get a warning. They also got a flag noting zero tolerance for the covers in the future.

bulldog
Tue May 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
You can't see much, but you can see that either the lenses are tinted or they have tinted covers on them. Quite simply there's almost no way to do this and stay legal, and it was one of my pet peeves at work, along with license plate covers.

I'd generally make a deal with drivers, they let me remove the covers, and they get a warning. They also got a flag noting zero tolerance for the covers in the future. I've just never seen a clear answer on whether these were illegal. Some cops say they are while others say they are not. Even a google search I cannot find a concrete answer. Plus with technology changing daily there could be brighter taillight bulbs or different tint used now. LED's are huge now in the mod world and those things get pretty bright, so if you can level the tint out with brighter bulbs, it basically the same.

UHATEIT
Tue May 13th, 2014, 01:25 PM

I'd generally make a deal with drivers, they let me remove the covers, and they get a warning. They also got a flag noting zero tolerance for the covers in the future.

Agree with Aaron. Tinted taillights is one of my biggest pet peeves as well. To each their own tho. But I hate seeing Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers with badly done covers so much that you cant see them hitting their brakes during the daytime and at night the brake lights look about the same as normal running lights.

~Barn~
Tue May 13th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Nice ride, Townie. Welcome back to the internet, Nate. =)

bulldog
Tue May 13th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Agree with Aaron. Tinted taillights is one of my biggest pet peeves as well. To each their own tho. But I hate seeing Chrysler 300 and Dodge Chargers with badly done covers so much that you cant see them hitting their brakes during the daytime and at night the brake lights look about the same as normal running lights. True, not seeing tailights is bad! I guess I've been hanging in the tuner world too long though because I have seen some super bright LED taililights nowadays. This place sells some http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/

It is hard to see in pics, but there is a huge difference, so it could be used to offset the tinted covers. Look how bright these look!
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/263216/fullsize/img_0017.jpg

Got to remember we are talking like 60+ LED's vs a single regular bulb
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/emrankazi2000/asdf.png

Aaron
Tue May 13th, 2014, 03:22 PM
You're right, LED's can get really bright, I've got some of the brightest V-LED's sells in my Jeep. But even on the Jeeps the LED's don't cut through the tint nearly to the factory level.

As as far as their legality, they are illegal, if not one way then another. First state law specifies a distance they must be seen at. Of course this is a difficult law to interpret, but that's where dash cameras come in handy. However there is also a state law that says no covers that inhibit their visibility by glare or tint. Third there are daytime state statutes which specify red color and/or red reflectors.

And if those laws aren't enough, most Municipalities have ordinances prohibiting them. Let's put it this way, somewhere there's a statute that prohibits the dark tinted covers you see all over the place. Now if it's a real light tint, and you have much brighter LED's, you'd probably be ok.

In the case of license plates, any cover, even the clear ones, is illegal.

bulldog
Tue May 13th, 2014, 03:40 PM
You're right, LED's can get really bright, I've got some of the brightest V-LED's sells in my Jeep. But even on the Jeeps the LED's don't cut through the tint nearly to the factory level.

As as far as their legality, they are illegal, if not one way then another. First state law specifies a distance they must be seen at. Of course this is a difficult law to interpret, but that's where dash cameras come in handy. However there is also a state law that says no covers that inhibit their visibility by glare or tint. Third there are daytime state statutes which specify red color and/or red reflectors.

And if those laws aren't enough, most Municipalities have ordinances prohibiting them. Let's put it this way, somewhere there's a statute that prohibits the dark tinted covers you see all over the place. Now if it's a real light tint, and you have much brighter LED's, you'd probably be ok.

In the case of license plates, any cover, even the clear ones, is illegal. Good to know as I never could figure this one out for CO. I am sure Nevada where Townie is at is different as that state usually has few laws like that; NM was same way and people use to tint their front windshield there.

Personally, nowadays I have tried to attract as little attention to myself as possible; hence why I got the WRX over STI (yet will get the COBB tuner to pull out the STI power), kept stock 17 inch rims, got the STI exhaust vs aftermarket. and even didn't go with illegal tint this time. To me any way I can not attract attention is good for me so even though I said all this I was just putting s spin that maybe it could still be done without limiting the brake lights. I've learned the hard way that cops usually win no matter how good your excuse is...like bright taillights...not worth it to me anymore....like I said I am getting old :lol:

madvlad
Tue May 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Most cops really don't care here about upgrades even though it's on the law unlike other states unless you're being a douche on the road. I had some dumbass on 470 in an Escalade and his tails were tinted so dark you could barely see the brake lights come on. That's just plain dangerous but to each its own and congrats on the Bimmer.

#1Townie
Wed May 14th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Its nice to see cops take such a strong stance on something as simple as taillights. We don't have other things they could be doing.........

Had to make a ftp jab at you guys.... you made it waaaaaaay too easy. Lol

madvlad
Wed May 14th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Simple enough to cause accidents so it's a pretty legit thing to get pulled over for imo but whatever.

bulldog
Wed May 14th, 2014, 07:50 AM
So to change it back, what all is done to that BMW? I see rims, but anything done for performance? Just curious because my buddies was done up before he sold it and was pulling some great power out of it with a new tune. He had suspension and brake upgrades too.

Any audio upgrades? Got any plans for it?

As for me, I am still debating to risk my warranty, The car is already fast enough, but one simple COBB tuner and I get the full power that the STI has; same exact engine and turbo (just minus the 6 speed; which actually makes for faster 1/4 mile times). Plus so much I can do on these cars....yet a warranty is a hard one to risk. I got nervous to do that yet so instead I totally just redid the stereo system; kept the factory navigation deck, but used a LC2I to tap out RCA outputs and installed a 4 channel amp. Changed the stock speakers to JL Audio 2ways,then added a pair of sick Infinity Kappa side edge driven tweeters, 10' Infinity Kappa titanium woofer (with sub control in on dash), and finished it off with dynamat through the entire car. And yup, did it all myself...scary taking apart a brand new car!

Ph03niX
Wed May 14th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks Drama2.

Sweet ride Nate...

I found this Japanese truck and twerk it a bit

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee491/walkermi/image_zpsdfb55174.jpeg

Fixed Hahahahaa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LO6uxy11I

mdub
Wed May 14th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Fixed Hahahahaa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LO6uxy11I

Sweet.. Love Big Ass Booties shake like that... Hahah....

#1Townie
Wed May 14th, 2014, 05:36 PM
So to change it back, what all is done to that BMW? I see rims, but anything done for performance? Just curious because my buddies was done up before he sold it and was pulling some great power out of it with a new tune. He had suspension and brake upgrades too.

Any audio upgrades? Got any plans for it?

As for me, I am still debating to risk my warranty, The car is already fast enough, but one simple COBB tuner and I get the full power that the STI has; same exact engine and turbo (just minus the 6 speed; which actually makes for faster 1/4 mile times). Plus so much I can do on these cars....yet a warranty is a hard one to risk. I got nervous to do that yet so instead I totally just redid the stereo system; kept the factory navigation deck, but used a LC2I to tap out RCA outputs and installed a 4 channel amp. Changed the stock speakers to JL Audio 2ways,then added a pair of sick Infinity Kappa side edge driven tweeters, 10' Infinity Kappa titanium woofer (with sub control in on dash), and finished it off with dynamat through the entire car. And yup, did it all myself...scary taking apart a brand new car!

To be 100% honest it was kind of spur of the moment. I was actually looking for a 2010 escalade. Have been for a little bit now. Went on my weekly tour of the dealership and this bad boy was there.

I know its lowered but that is about all I can see that is done to it. From the pull it has I don't think the ecu has been touched. Its truly stock. I'm already looking into stereo stuff. Haven't made any plans on adding too much to it. My 97 civic is getting the bulk of my upgrade money for now.

Aaron I was truly just making fun of the situation. Just so you know.

Buuuuut I might come on back to co just so YOU can give me a ticket for them. Lol

mdub
Wed May 14th, 2014, 06:15 PM
2010 escalade!?!!?? Pfffttttt

Better off with the Bavarian ride, even though it is a convertible... but that is you

bulldog
Fri May 16th, 2014, 07:47 AM
To be 100% honest it was kind of spur of the moment. I was actually looking for a 2010 escalade. Have been for a little bit now. Went on my weekly tour of the dealership and this bad boy was there.

I know its lowered but that is about all I can see that is done to it. From the pull it has I don't think the ecu has been touched. Its truly stock. I'm already looking into stereo stuff. Haven't made any plans on adding too much to it. My 97 civic is getting the bulk of my upgrade money for now.

Cool. Well if you do end up doing any work on it, let me know and I can ask my buddy what he had done as he is very skilled in this stuff and I trust his advice. If you need any advice on stereo stuff let me know....I am a big fan of Infinity's line of Kappa! Those would be in my door too, but the magnet was too big to fit even with a extension kit, so went with JL Audio, but I swear these Kappa tweeters out perform all the JL Audio's in my car (vocal/treble wise)...and they are like 2 1/2's.

Aaron
Fri May 16th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I'm glad you didn't get an Escalade too. I hate those cars. Total ghetto-rich cars, and they're nothing more than a reworked Tahoe. And don't get me wrong I like the Tahoe, but an Escalade costs twice as much and is hardly better. The same money could land you a much nicer German SUV.

#1Townie
Fri May 16th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I'm glad you didn't get an Escalade too. I hate those cars. Total ghetto-rich cars, and they're nothing more than a reworked Tahoe. And don't get me wrong I like the Tahoe, but an Escalade costs twice as much and is hardly better. The same money could land you a much nicer German SUV.

No no no no. You dont buy them new you buy them used. Much cheaper. Let some moron take the hit. I had an escalade a few years ago and miss it. Its why I was looking for one.

I will still be buying one just not this year. If my game plane of paying this off in a year works out then this time next year I will be looking for the escalade again.

Aaron
Fri May 16th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Buying them used is even worse! Ghetto rich.

Why not buy a Tahoe? Same car for half the price, and you don't look ghetto rich (Unless that's what you're going for). Sorry man it's not personal I just hate those cars. Like Chrysler 300s, ignorant people buy them to try and look rich in the ghetto.

longrider
Sat May 17th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I found one:

http://www.cadillaccountryclub.com/images/pinkescaladebumper.JPG

:) :)

#1Townie
Sat May 17th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Buying them used is even worse! Ghetto rich.

Why not buy a Tahoe? Same car for half the price, and you don't look ghetto rich (Unless that's what you're going for). Sorry man it's not personal I just hate those cars. Like Chrysler 300s, ignorant people buy them to try and look rich in the ghetto.

I understand your hate for them. I was never into them either until I repod one. After bringing it in I fell in love.

I was able to buy it from the bank for 8500. That thing was amazing. My brother has the tahoe and while I will agree with you that they are basically the same they are also very different.

Also I have a very different take then you on buying used. While you may feel that buying used is ghetto its actually smarter to buy used. Let someone else take the hit on the price. Why anyone would buy a car just to see it worth half as much in four years is beyond me.

Same thing with bikes. I will never buy a bike new. Fuck that. Its just dumb.

Longrider that's my shit right thur. Lol