PDA

View Full Version : Well f***.

Tylar
Sun Jun 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Blew up the motor in my 08 R1. Riding to Silverthorne with the family following me, slowly acquired a vibration and going up a 7% incline (Genesee Hill just past Lookout Mtn exit) at 80mph maintaining speed in 6th gear, heard a large crack followed by constant rattling and a complete loss of power. Immediately grabbed the clutch and killed power. The aftermath is below. Nothing like an oh-sh1t moment on I-70 heading up to the Eisenhower in traffic.
:down:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/2008%20R1/1555307_10204014590823998_6181153903911242115_n_zp sf0da337f.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Tylar77/media/2008%20R1/1555307_10204014590823998_6181153903911242115_n_zp sf0da337f.jpg.html)

Probably spending some time tomorrow finding out how much a new motor costs. How this came to be is beyond me, and some feel I should bring it up to Yamaha whether I have them replace the motor for me or not. Not sure it's worth it.

Bike has 14k miles, A&R Baffles and K&N filter are the only mods on for the drivetrain. Fresh oil and was running strong all they up to the C-470 exit before it had a load on it for the climb.

...drowning my sorrows as I type this.:drink:

Wrider
Sun Jun 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Well hell man I'm sorry to hear about that! Are you going to take the motor apart so you can figure out what went wrong?

JimDog
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Wow...that would have scared the crap out of me too. Bummer about the engine, but glad you're OK. Engines are replaceable...humans are not :up:

If you do find out what happened, would love details (just out of curiosity).

Tylar
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Wow...that would have scared the crap out of me too. Bummer about the engine, but glad you're OK. Engines are replaceable...humans are not :up:

If you do find out what happened, would love details (just out of curiosity).

The goal is to get a new motor in and find out what happened with the stock one. I know this year of R1 has a valve weakness and I've heard of this type of thing happening. I hope to have all the infos and pics of the destruction, but no real course yet.

~Barn~
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Craziness. Glad it didn't dump you off though!

Slo
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Wow, that is crazy, glad you didn't get hurt on it, good luck on a replacement motor.

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I know there's some used motors up on the R1 Forum right now. Could have Bart go through it when you get one in, just to make sure everything is tip top.

Tylar
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Craziness. Glad it didn't dump you off though!

:hump: Thanks. It was on the straight, so I was fortunately upright and just maintaining speed on the incline. When it went I immediately clutched it and hit the kill switch.

Wow, that is crazy, glad you didn't get hurt on it, good luck on a replacement motor.

:up:

I know there's some used motors up on the R1 Forum right now. Could have Bart go through it when you get one in, just to make sure everything is tip top.

Yeah. We're going to see. Moto-Garage is looking in their stock to see if they have a motor laying around. I may just run it up to Jensen and have him diagnose it...if I buy a new motor and put it in, then that'd give me more piece of mind than I currently have. :shocked:

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah. We're going to see. Moto-Garage is looking in their stock to see if they have a motor laying around. I may just run it up to Jensen and have him diagnose it...if I buy a new motor and put it in, then that'd give me more piece of mind than I currently have. :shocked:

If you had that PC3, this wouldn't have happened. ;) jk. If you need any help with anything, lemme know.

Tylar
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
So, went to move the bike after hearing a dose of reality that I was afraid of and noticed that the case that popped IS NOT the crank, it's the transmission:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/2008%20R1/photo1_zps9aad70cb.jpeg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Tylar77/media/2008%20R1/photo1_zps9aad70cb.jpeg.html)

Soooo, that changes things (I hope). I'm more encouraged to have it professionally diagnosed and fixed. :wait:

Tylar
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:38 PM
So the bike is now at Moto-Garage under the care of Scott Jensen. Assuming all goes as planned, the needful will be repaired and I'll have a y-pipe and a PC3 with a custom map afterwards. All is not lost....

It looks like the generator for the bike, or the stator, literally exploded. Assuming no parts made it to the crankcase, I'm golden.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:48 PM
So, went to move the bike after hearing a dose of reality that I was afraid of and noticed that the case that popped IS NOT the crank, it's the transmission:

Soooo, that changes things (I hope). I'm more encouraged to have it professionally diagnosed and fixed. :wait:Not really. The engine and tranny share the same case, use the same oil, etc. If you grenaded something, all that debris is most likely though the entire engine. The cover that is cracked is your generator stator cover, not the transmission. Still, what caused it? That is the mystery. Open it up...

EDIT: I see we were typing at the same time...

Tylar
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Not really. The engine and tranny share the same case, use the same oil, etc. If you grenaded something, all that debris is most likely though the entire engine. The cover that is cracked is your generator stator cover, not the transmission. Still, what caused it? That is the mystery. Open it up...

EDIT: I see we were typing at the same time...

So I took the bike to Moto-Garage and confidence is high. Yes, it's the stator housing that blew. Only time will tell after he opens the bike up, but i'm hopeful my baby will be salvageable. what caused it....man, i'd love to know.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Jun 16th, 2014, 09:16 PM
So I took the bike to Moto-Garage and confidence is high. Yes, it's the stator housing that blew. Only time will tell after he opens the bike up, but i'm hopeful my baby will be salvageable. what caused it....man, i'd love to know.
I have my fingers crossed for ya!! The rotor on the '08s look like a deep-dish pizza. It's also your starter clutch assembly. If you got it shut down super quick, you might be okay. So hard to tell with mechanical stuff until you get it apart. The way that rotor interacts with the stator is a huge problem if one of them comes loose. It appears they hit each other and broke the cover...

Tylar
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I have my fingers crossed for ya!! The rotor on the '08s look like a deep-dish pizza. It's also your starter clutch assembly. If you got it shut down super quick, you might be okay. So hard to tell with mechanical stuff until you get it apart. The way that rotor interacts with the stator is a huge problem if one of them comes loose. It appears they hit each other and broke the cover...

Scott said he's seen it before and the engine is likely not garbage. After I hit the kill switch on I-70 that night, the bike had not been started so hopefully I was quick enough in the heat of the moment.

Even so, I was at 6k rpm when it blew and even if it took me 1 second to hit the kill switch, that's a lot of rotations. If the engine is garbage, I'm screwed...unless I throw caution to the wind and buy an internet used motor and pray it is functional.

Jmetz
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Hopefully it won't cost you a ton.

Tylar
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hopefully it won't cost you a ton.

If the motorcycle gods smile on me, I'll still be out at least a grand....for starters (no pun intended).

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM
If the motorcycle gods smile on me, I'll still be out at least a grand....for starters (no pun intended).A grand?!? Is that just for the cover, stator and rotor? As long as you didn't send debris through the engine or hurt anything else, this is a simple fix. $580 in parts from Ron Ayers... ..well, it could be a little more with gaskets and miscellaneous stuff...

Knowing how to do this stuff is invaluable. I've given quite a few people, over the years, the confidence to do these kind of things. It's really just reading your shop manual. I'll read mine for a couiple weeks if it's something I've never done. There isn't anything on these bikes that a fairly intelligent person, who can read, can't do! I understand it's intimidating, but even Kim does some work after reading the manuals.

Here's a good example; I dropped an exhaust valve on my boat (350 Magnum MPI in a 2000 Rinker 192) and the cheapest shop repair was $4,000 to fix the one combustion chamber on the one head!! I did it myself and completely rebuilt both heads for under $400.

When you know how to fix your own toys, you can afford more toys:eyebrows:

rforsythe
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 11:57 AM
So it's not the immediate killing the motor and clutching it (all good reactions) that concern me, it's the fact that you felt the vibration for a while beforehand. I was on a GSX-R 750 that did the exact same thing one day except the stator remained on; enough small metal bits made it past the pickup screen to spin a crank bearing. The stator has some powerful magnets, and occasionally the epoxy can break causing them to ride free which usually results in some level of catastrophic failure on the stator at a minimum. It's the ancillary potential for damage that would concern me here, and prompt a full engine tear down.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jun 17th, 2014, 12:15 PM
So it's not the immediate killing the motor and clutching it (all good reactions) that concern me, it's the fact that you felt the vibration for a while beforehand. I was on a GSX-R 750 that did the exact same thing one day except the stator remained on; enough small metal bits made it past the pickup screen to spin a crank bearing. The stator has some powerful magnets, and occasionally the epoxy can break causing them to ride free which usually results in some level of catastrophic failure on the stator at a minimum. It's the ancillary potential for damage that would concern me here, and prompt a full engine tear down.Good point, Ralph. And, if you part your hair just right, you can't see it.

Hi-Jack: After we hung-up the other day, we made a London Broil on the smoker. Last night we did another Rib-eye. I'm convinced that higher temps are better, it renders the fat down and these babies melt in your mouth. 6 hours on a 3 1/2 lb. London Broil and 3 hours on a 1.4 lb. Rib-eye. We use only cherry wood on an indirect, side firebox smoker.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

sprtbkbabe
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hope it gets sorted, Tyler. Scott's done work on my CBR and I can attest to his thoroughness

Tylar
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Hope it gets sorted, Tyler. Scott's done work on my CBR and I can attest to his thoroughness

Thanks.

Just got off the phone with Scott. #2 rod shot through the case and penetrated the stator...the crank is in multiple pieces and it's possible at least one other rod is bent. Scott characterized it as a "freak event" as he feels the OEM rods in this motor are stout and that the motor is complete trash now. Suffice to say...I'm in shock. :cry:

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:13 PM
:( I do not approve of this thread now.

Chaos
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM
:puke:

Not good! I was just on CL last night and there was a guy parting out an '08 R1 in the springs, the engine was part of the part out just an FYI

Dasaxman6
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Sad day :(

Chaos
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:26 PM
This one, guess it's an '07 and in aurora? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4517316147.html

Tylar
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:45 PM
:puke:

Not good! I was just on CL last night and there was a guy parting out an '08 R1 in the springs, the engine was part of the part out just an FYI

Looking.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks.

Just got off the phone with Scott. #2 rod shot through the case and penetrated the stator...the crank is in multiple pieces and it's possible at least one other rod is bent. Scott characterized it as a "freak event" as he feels the OEM rods in this motor are stout and that the motor is complete trash now. Suffice to say...I'm in shock. :cry:Holy shit! Didn't see that one coming!! Pull the head off and turn it into a four-place beer can holder...

sprtbkbabe
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Holy shit! Didn't see that one coming!! Pull the head off and turn it into a four-place beer can holder...

I'm with Dean-O on this.

Or let the dogs piss on the motor and send the pic into Yamaha and say, "Arigato Fookers"

Tylar
Wed Jun 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I'm with Dean-O on this.

Or let the dogs piss on the motor and send the pic into Yamaha and say, "Arigato Fookers"

So I called Vickery and gave them the deets. They think I have a solid case with Yamaha but only two things are against me, per Vickery: 1) I'm not hte original owner, i bought it with 782 miles on it. 2) It's not under warranty.

I'll be calling Yamaha Customer Care in the morning.

Tylar
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Soooo, I have a motor and it's not from Yamaha Customer "Care". After 1-in-5 attempts you don't get randomly disconnected, I was politely told tough-shit, thanks for your business. Had a feeling it'd go that way, but needed to try for my conscience.

Homie in Green Valley Ranch had done a 5mph curb-hop-and-dump after drinking more beer than he had gas in his tank and I now have an 07 motor with 9k miles, even the ECU and wiring harness...all at a pretty good price ($3k under his asking, too).

So, the plan is to have the shop that has my 08 do the swap, valve-guide check and hopefully a PC3, map and y-pipe delete. Worst case i'm swapping myself and then still paying for the valve work.

Slow and steady as she goes...:turtle:

JimDog
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 07:18 PM
So.... Celebratory ride once she's back up and running? :)

Tylar
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 07:29 PM
So.... Celebratory ride once she's back up and running? :)

Yeah, something like taking a day off to ride Peak-to-Peak sounds just groovy. :rock:

~Barn~
Tue Jun 24th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Good for you, for seeing it through like you are. You'll have her back soon! :up:

Mother Goose
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah, something like taking a day off to ride Peak-to-Peak sounds just groovy. :rock:

Maybe I'll have mine street legal-ish by then. ;)

madvlad
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I still have that brake light too :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Maybe I'll have mine street legal-ish by then. ;)I'm guessing you're doing the same thing I did. Switch bodies back and forth between race and street?

I did a ride to Estes during race season, so I just put my stock tail on so I would have a brake light and a place to hang a license plate. The rest of the bike was full race body. No head light and no mirrors. Actually, I think I did put the mirrors on for convenience. Every cop I sat next to at red lights told me how nice the bike looked.

Every time we would stop, everyone would start shootin' the shit. I was getting nervous the farther we got out and the later it got. So, now we're in Estes and the sun is going down fast and I have no lights. I got home by riding just to the side and six inches off Buellers tail, hoping you couldn't really tell I didn't have head lights. It worked, Dave drug my happy ass all the way home. That was a great day!!

Mother Goose
Thu Jun 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I still have that brake light too :lol:

I should probably get that from you sometime. :lol:

Tylar
Mon Jun 30th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Here is the #2 rod poking into where the stator lives.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/2008%20R1/rod_zps48367ffd.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Tylar77/media/2008%20R1/rod_zps48367ffd.jpg.html)

Here you see the #2 piston resting on the crank.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/2008%20R1/piston_zps3f2089bd.jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Tylar77/media/2008%20R1/piston_zps3f2089bd.jpg.html)

Expecting to have the bike back next week.