PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the Northern Sand Dunes?

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 11:22 AM
We've got a trip planned to the Northern Sand Dunes outside of Walden and I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge of the area. Normally, I would never go up to that litter box, but a very dear friend and his family are going and they want us to go, too.

Are there any good trails for dirt bikes around the dunes? From the satellite view, the dunes look very small. In other words, very boring!!

I guess if all else fails, we can walk out to the middle of the dune and play "find your wedding ring"

Thanks...

Bueller
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Kwads would be fun :)

Dasaxman6
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I haven't been there but my brother and sister in laws camped there last August, with around 40 ATVs and they had a blast. So I would think a dirt bike would have a good time there as well.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Kwads would be fun :)Can I borrow yours?

I haven't been there but my brother and sister in laws camped there last August, with around 40 ATVs and they had a blast. So I would think a dirt bike would have a good time there as well.Been on dunes before, it doesn't do a damn thing for me. We really like rock-crawlin' and technical stuff. Sand is easy.

We'll have fun because we are going with some really good people, just trying to find more fun!

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:23 PM
We go 2-3 times a year. It's awesome! Best camp site is to take the first left after the bathrooms and camp on the east side. Very quiet and peaceful. The dunes are not huge, but there are a lot! of little trails and things hidden in the trees that keep us entertained for hours on end. Plus there are 4 wheeling trails back behind the dunes. Dirt bikes are hard to ride on the sand unless you have paddle tires, but there were a few up there on memorial day weekend. There's lots of little hidden trails in and around the dunes to explore and that's where they spent the majority of the time. It's BLM land so the rangers are a little more relaxed than some of the other parks we've been too and Larime is only an hour away if you need parts...we usually make at least one trip because someone's rig always breaks lol. We have a great time and since the south dunes are closed to vehicles this is the only place to play in the sand. Make sure you bring a waterproof tent and if you set up a separate kitchen, make sure you bring a tarp to enclose two sides of the kitchen. It rains every afternoon between 2-6 usually. Helps cool things off.

Drama2
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Some good staeaks and cold beer should be fun while waxing up a sled to rslide down the hills.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:34 PM
... The dunes are not huge, but there are a lot! of little trails and things hidden in the trees that keep us entertained for hours on end. Plus there are 4 wheeling trails back behind the dunes.Cool! Kim and I will be the only ones on bikes. Everyone else will be in their rock buggies.

Dirt bikes are hard to ride on the sand unless you have paddle tires, but there were a few up there on memorial day weekend. There's lots of little hidden trails in and around the dunes to explore and that's where they spent the majority of the time.We don't need no stinkin' paddles! Good to hear there are lots of trails!!

Make sure you bring a waterproof tent and if you set up a separate kitchen, make sure you bring a tarp to enclose two sides of the kitchen. It rains every afternoon between 2-6 usually. Helps cool things off.Our tent is definitely water-proof!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/thram.jpg

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Some good staeaks and cold beer should be fun while waxing up a sled to rslide down the hills.
True dat!!

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Cool! Kim and I will be the only ones on bikes. Everyone else will be in their rock buggies.

We don't need no stinkin' paddles! Good to hear there are lots of trails!!

Our tent is definitely water-proof!!

http://home.comcast.net/~tk4480/CSC/thram.jpg

That's our next purchase I think because I'm not sleeping in a wet tent again...that was not fun. When are ya'll going?

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jun 19th, 2014, 12:58 PM
That's our next purchase I think because I'm not sleeping in a wet tent again...that was not fun. When are ya'll going?We've always had bad-ass tents because of our mountaineering days. We would hike up to A-Basin in the winter and pitch-a-tent just for something to do, so we're not afraid of tents. I just got to a point where I need the three S's - Shower, Shitter and Satellite.

Going 4th -o- July

Chris
Fri Jun 20th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Try to score/borrow a paddle tire if you have a dirt bike, bought mine at performance.

Do the hill climb by the creek

Chris
Fri Jun 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM
And there are a bunch of trails towards the hills (east) but it's dirt not sand so you can't run the paddle there.

The paddle would be fun but you want a powerful bike. If its a slower trail bike Id stick to the trails.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Jun 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
And there are a bunch of trails towards the hills (east) but it's dirt not sand so you can't run the paddle there.

The paddle would be fun but you want a powerful bike. If its a slower trail bike Id stick to the trails.WR450 and I've never had a problem riding dunes on knobbies. Doesn't mean I won't have issues at these dunes. We'll see...

Matrix
Sun Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:51 AM
I took my crf250 there last year. Knobbies worked fine an as mentioned, some of the trails are dirt and rock. Keep it pinned and you should be fine.