PDA

View Full Version : Theft Protection

JMoney
Mon Oct 31st, 2005, 02:06 PM
I'm moving to AZ for the Spring semester and want to get some imput from you on what you think is the best type of theft protection.

I've heard that the steering lock doesn't do much, and that chains and wheel locks don't do much either. I was thinking that perhaps a bike alarm would be a good idea, but I sleep though smoke detectors.

I plan on keeping it covered with the steering on lock, and it very close to my apartment, but what else is there besides :guns: ?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Oct 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM
park it in your apartment.

swademaster
Mon Oct 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Get a garage.

JMoney
Mon Oct 31st, 2005, 08:01 PM
I'll see if they'll allow me to park it in the apartment. Might be a chore to get it up some stairs, but that's why I go to the gym.

Project Sh*tbox
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 12:42 PM
Wherever there's apartments, there's storage facilities. I had one when I was in Westminster that cost me $37/mo, and I had my bike, bike stands, toolbox, shelves, and alternate wheels/tires for my car, and it was only 6' x 7'. If your stuck in an apt, it's money well spent IMO.

-ASC

konichd
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM
This goes for anybody. I had my R6 stolen from my apartment in Lakewood in June. I decided to pay the 100 bucks for a Public Storage unit that allows me access from 6am to 9pm 365. I only have my bike and a couple boxes in there so anyone is more than willing to store it there for the winter alongside my R1. I could probably fit 2 more bikes (8'x10'), however if you have a Honda I might have to think about it! :lol:

PM me if you want to store your bike there, first 2 to contact me get the spots! Hell there even free! :shock:

Call 720-217-6820 David

The public storage is located off of Hampden and Sherridan.

99GSXR750
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 04:39 PM
I live in an apartment and i haven't had any problems. I use a disk lock, alarm, and i cover it every night. I ride year round so it never just sits there. Another option is to get a big chain. I have the NY Fahghetaboutit chain. Then lock that chain to something solid.

CHuck U Farley
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM
I'll see if they'll allow me to park it in the apartment. Might be a chore to get it up some stairs, but that's why I go to the gym.

Dont ask them they will say hell no its they dont want gas in the house and I believe the fire department has laws but not sure do like i do with my dog dont ask dont tell.

Derek
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
I would put it in your apartment only if you have no other option because it is gonna stink up your place. Definitely better than having it boosted, but something to think about.

That being said..I trust garages and only garages. I have had two bikes stolen from apartment complexes. The first had no protection to speak of, but the second was disc locked and chained like you wouldn't believe. Hell, I lost a couple hundred in locks and chains alone. The bottom line is that if they want it, they will get it. Your job is to make that as difficult as possible.

If you are just leaving it for a few months and won't have the need to constantly access it, seems like a storage unit would be your best bet...or find a friend with a garage.

JMoney
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM
Have any of you had any luck with those alarms with motion sensors and all the fancy gadgets?

~Barn~
Tue Nov 1st, 2005, 10:37 PM
It's not terribly complicated really. Your best bet is to have it locked within an structure, like storage/garage/your apartment living room.

2nd best would be to have it chain locked to something relatively immovable, like a light post, or a tree, etc. Run the cable/chain/whatever, through the frame of the bike, not a wheel.

After that would be non-chained locks. A disk lock, or lever locks. Something to make the operation of the bike mechanically difficult.

4th after that I would say would be an alarm. As far as I know, they are a deterrent, and may very well disable the engine temporarily, but if the bike will roll away, it will roll away. Catch my drift?

Lastly would be to use the motorcycles built in steering lock. I guess that's kind of a given though.

Derek said it best... if they want it bad enough, it's theirs. End of story. The more physically difficult you can make that, the better. Hope that helps.

salsashark
Fri Nov 4th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Get a garage.

and a gun! :guns:

RReddnek81
Fri Nov 4th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I think I have gone overboard then.

I have the scorpio alarm that transmits up to 3 miles if the bike is even touched and I also have the kryptonite lock cable and it's in the garage.

Being so close to Tijuana makes it to easy to ditch anything. I'm not taking chances.

FZRguy
Fri Nov 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I have a Xena disc alarm (www.xenasecurity.com) and it works very well without the hassle and expense of a hard-wired system. As for storage units, better than just out in the open but not nearly as secure as a private attached garage. There is absolutely no one around your basic Public Storage during the overnight hours. They will tell you that they have gates and video, but no one is watching said video after hours and the gate codes are easy to get. If someone wants your bike, a storage unit is an easy heist. Short of moving it into your apartment (yeah, don’t ask), an alarm plus a NY chain/lock (attached to something solid!), and a cover is your best bet.

Lee
Sun Dec 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM
We have a Scorpio system on our FJR but unless we're on a trip, we NEVER leave that bike outside.

I recommend that you either put your bike in a garage or find a small, inexpensive storage unit and keep it there.

It's too easy for 2-4 guys in a van to pull up, pick up your bike, alarm system and all, and stuff it in the back of a van.

Lee

the real carbon fiber gab
Fri Dec 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
most times its a crime of opportunity. I used to run 2 monster size chains throught the frame and up around the rafters of my car port. It would take to long to try and steal it so they would move on. Except there was that one day it was no locked :cry:

Monkey
Fri Dec 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
It's against fire code to park it in your apt.. I got a letter from the fire dept stating it after my apt people asked them.. i'll try to find it.. i even had it on my patio and still.. i'd hate to see it inside.

Brahma
Fri Dec 30th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Jmoney, if you need to keep it in a safe place you can store it in my garage. it won't be lonely...i have the R6 and the GSXR600 in there now...my brother will me more than happy to make sure the engine is ran if it is not prepped for storage...just let me know when and if that is an option.