PDA

View Full Version : Chiro and/or Deep Tissue Massage Advice/Opinions

bulldog
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Had my first chiro and deep tissue massage yesterday because a pain I have in shoulder blade I can't get rid of. Deep tissue massage was pretty intense and was amazed how hard this guy was pushing down to release what he called "trigger points", but I was game as long as it helps my issue. I was really sore after and a bit today so I hope this is normal. Anyone know? Supposed to go back next Wednesday.

Any people here use chiros and/or deep tissue massage? Opinions or advice?

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Had my first chiro and deep tissue massage yesterday because a pain I have in shoulder blade I can't get rid of. Deep tissue massage was pretty intense and was amazed how hard this guy was pushing down to release what he called "trigger points", but I was game as long as it helps my issue. I was really sore after and a bit today so I hope this is normal. Anyone know? Supposed to go back next Wednesday.

Any people here use chiros and/or deep tissue massage? Opinions or advice?I would be leery of someone who worked you over like that the first time. I'm certainly no expert, but I do have a friend who does message/deep tissue, whatever, therapy. She told me to not let it hurt, to stop her if anything was beginning to hurt. I never said a word and let her go waaaaay too far. Among other things, she was lifting the muscles off my neck and said, "WOW!! It usually takes weeks to get someone this far!" I figured it was no big deal. I hurt for weeks and found that it was a little dangerous letting her go that far, can't remember the exact reason why. I'll never let it go that far again, though!!

...and, no happy ending!! You believe that shit!!

bulldog
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:12 AM
I would be leery of someone who worked you over like that the first time. I'm certainly no expert, but I do have a friend who does message/deep tissue, whatever, therapy. She told me to not let it hurt, to stop her if anything was beginning to hurt. I never said a word and let her go waaaaay too far. Among other things, she was lifting the muscles off my neck and said, "WOW!! It usually takes weeks to get someone this far!" I figured it was no big deal. I hurt for weeks and found that it was a little dangerous letting her go that far, can't remember the exact reason why. I'll never let it go that far again, though!!

...and, no happy ending!! You believe that shit!! Yeah that is why I am a bit leery now as I was hoping for less pain and not more. I do feel like the pain is easing up a bit now. I guess to be fair he did say if he was hurting me to tell him and I never did; mainly out of pride and hoping the pain then would lessen it later. I guess I'll see if I feel better and if not I'll cancel my appointment for next week and just go back to letting time heal it. He claimed it will be normal to hurt as a lot of something was released when he got the trigger points to release...all new to me though...hate going to any doctor as it is and always been weary of chiros, but at a lost what to do as I can't get this pain to go away for two weeks (doesn't help I wtill workout 5 days a week)

Yeah no happy ending for me either...sucks as their receptionist was cute and very capable of providing this service...that prude! :lol:

Jmetz
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Never hurt after a message but have felt sick due to built up toxins being released by the manipulation.

bulldog
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Never hurt after a message but have felt sick due to built up toxins being released by the manipulation. Did you go in for a specific problem or just a massage? Mine was for a specific problem and I was hurting when going in there so trying to figure out if that is the difference.

Jmetz
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:42 AM
When I go it's for tension in my back and I would get a deep tissue. How ever it was not specific like yours.

bulldog
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
When I go it's for tension in my back and I would get a deep tissue. How ever it was not specific like yours. Thanks Josh, just trying to figure out if this is normal like they said. I do have to say it is feeling better the more time that goes by.

UHATEIT
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
As far as places for a good price if looking to save. I recommend "The Joint" they have a few around town its a nationwide chain and they charge $49 for 4 visits for chiropractic adjustments since they dont do all the insurance billing crap so its just straight up get the adjustments and youre good to go. But the first visit they will do a physical type exam about the areas you want them to focus on and give education on things to try at home. Sounds cheap I know but I've had lots of experience over the years and this place is great. The one I go to is off Smoky Hill and 470 in Southlands but there is another in Greenwood Village as well. I am a bodily injury attorney negotiation for a majjor company and deal with crazy ass demands all day long with ridiculous charges from chiropractors upwards of $500/visit that they charge the insurance companies. If your primary healthcare insurance doesnt cover chiro visits (most don't) then The Joint is the way to go. They're all licensed chiropractors they're just not working for a practice. its more of get in get out and your good. One of the guys at the Southlands one is a sportbike rider himself, he has a GSXR1000 and seems to know the right areas to work out on the back that always seem to help. For me it's my lower back that kills after long riding.

For low cost massages, if you ever go to the Denver School of Massage Therapy which is off exposition behind the Aurora Mall, they do 1 hour massages for $25 on the weekends. Oftentimes they'll do 2 for 1 specials so you can get a massage and your spouse can get the other. Granted these are school students so they are not the top end people you'd see at a place like Spavia (yet) they all have to incur a certain amount of hours on different body types and thats where they get their experience. I have NEVER had a bad experience from one of the students and for $25 for an hour heck yeah it feels great to release that tension from long bike rides or snowboarding. They work hard there and at the end you fill out a quick survey of what they did well so that you can tell when how to improve. I always find each person to have different styles that they use so it has never dissappointed.

bulldog
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
As far as places for a good price if looking to save. I recommend "The Joint" they have a few around town its a nationwide chain and they charge $49 for 4 visits for chiropractic adjustments since they dont do all the insurance billing crap so its just straight up get the adjustments and youre good to go. But the first visit they will do a physical type exam about the areas you want them to focus on and give education on things to try at home. Sounds cheap I know but I've had lots of experience over the years and this place is great. The one I go to is off Smoky Hill and 470 in Southlands but there is another in Greenwood Village as well. I am a bodily injury attorney negotiation for a majjor company and deal with crazy ass demands all day long with ridiculous charges from chiropractors upwards of $500/visit that they charge the insurance companies. If your primary healthcare insurance doesnt cover chiro visits (most don't) then The Joint is the way to go. They're all licensed chiropractors they're just not working for a practice. its more of get in get out and your good. One of the guys at the Southlands one is a sportbike rider himself, he has a GSXR1000 and seems to know the right areas to work out on the back that always seem to help. For me it's my lower back that kills after long riding.

For low cost massages, if you ever go to the Denver School of Massage Therapy which is off exposition behind the Aurora Mall, they do 1 hour massages for $25 on the weekends. Oftentimes they'll do 2 for 1 specials so you can get a massage and your spouse can get the other. Granted these are school students so they are not the top end people you'd see at a place like Spavia (yet) they all have to incur a certain amount of hours on different body types and thats where they get their experience. I have NEVER had a bad experience from one of the students and for $25 for an hour heck yeah it feels great to release that tension from long bike rides or snowboarding. They work hard there and at the end you fill out a quick survey of what they did well so that you can tell when how to improve. I always find each person to have different styles that they use so it has never dissappointed. Thanks. Luckily I have great insurance and they cover 20 visits a year and I'll pay at the most 15%. Even the massage is covered as billed under physical therapy. The company I work for hooks up great insurance...saves me so much

UHATEIT
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Thats good your insurance covers that many. My old insurance covered up to 26 a year (once every 2 weeks) and was only a $20 copay. But my current insurance does not do that but I dropepd to the much cheaper insurance since I was never sick nor was my wife so it's $15/paycheck for me rather than over $100/check like before.

Deep tissue massages do seem to hurt, I don't necessarily like those types but sometimes those are what is needed to get everything out. One skill I have raved about that I received from a student at the Denver School of Massage Therapy was from a girl that pushed on the sore muscle, asked me to give her a pain scale verbally, and as she presseed, eventually the pain went away and then she worked the muscle after that. The muscles do not see to like the initial pressure and if you press on it long enough the muscle then gets used to the force and then can be worked out. Hard to explain, but this girl did an excellent job. The students there once again are in training and are learning lots of styles from their instructors and trying lots of different body types based on who comes in. It's a very comfortable setting there and they usually seem to have 15-20 therapists running each day on the weekends, it's pretty quick in and out. Longest I've waited was 15 minutes before they've taken me in and for $25 for the hour I can't complain.

WolFeYeZ
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Being sore is normal. Drink lots of water.

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
I agree with Wolfy. Soreness the next day is totally normal. My wife gets chiropractic treatment every other week or so, and she's always been sore the day of into the next, and this is after three different chiros in two different states.

Grim2.0
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
The point is to lift in a jerking twist motion Nate......figured you would know this.

Clovis
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
maybe Ezrider will chime in, he's a chiro and always gives his clients a happy ending!! :)

derekm
Mon Aug 11th, 2014, 11:45 PM
A good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold...
www.omnichiropractic.com
massuse there as well and still the best "medicine" from my l3 burst fracture 7 years ago