PDA

View Full Version : What about this bike for track days?

Generic
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:01 AM
If Cat and I wanted to get more serious about track days, should we start with a 250 or would and older 600 suffice?

I was eying this CBR600F4

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4545548162.html

madvlad
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
Saw that bike run at HPR 1st round and it did well.

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
I heard that the owner is a dick. ;) :lol:

Generic
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
So for an experienced rider but new to track (on a motorcycle) person (me) and a newer rider (Cat) is the 600 just going to make the learning curve difficult? I have no problems hoping on a 250

asp_125
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I had a 600 as my first track day bike, it was a natural transition since I rode a 600 on the street. $1900 asking for a track ready bike seems like a good price.

But if I had to do it over again, I'd get a newer Ninja 250 and ride the tires off it. I took our old Ninja 250 around HPR and had a blast, it's not the fastest on the straights but taught me a lot about being smooth.

rybo
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
My advice -

Pick an inexpensive bike with good parts availability and something that's pretty much already track prepped.

Older bikes require more attention and maintenance
Newer bikes are typically more expensive to fix, but require less fixing

The CBRF4i is a super easy bike to ride, but not even close in terms of ultimate performance to a similar year R6 (which is also harder to ride).

You and Cat are both riding really well and would be fine on this bike. Honda is great about maintaining parts availability for older models, so no major concern there.

Here is a really good modern 250 that's totally ready to go if that's something you are interested it. Super cheap to maintain, easy on tires and a bunch of folks running them in the MRA right now. This is one of the cleanest ones in the paddock.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/showthread.php?12548-2008-Kawasaki-ninja-250-race-ready!-3k-firm

Radek
Thu Jul 3rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
I heard that the owner is a dick. ;) :lol:

yeah ,looks like wolfeyez's van

aspenbum
Fri Jul 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Dani Lee is a really nice guy who has put a lot of work into this bike!

Radek
Fri Jul 4th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Dani Lee is a really nice guy who has put a lot of work into this bike!

he needs change his price to $1600 , because we all nice when it comes to money. No test rides speaks for it self .By the way I don't like yellow .

diz
Sun Jul 6th, 2014, 01:27 PM
If Cat and I wanted to get more serious about track days, should we start with a 250 or would and older 600 suffice?

I was eying this CBR600F4

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4545548162.html

I had a similar issue when I got my first bike. Unfortunately, I went with the latter option. I think it depends on your motivations and how much money you have to spend. If you're trying to get good as fast as possible, then the smaller the better. My older R6 just had too much power to handle. No amount of street or canyon experience will prepare you for a 100+ hp bike on the track.

Personally, I would look for something that has a lot of cheap used parts available and is easy to work on. Crashing can get expensive and it's inevitable. Also, the smaller bikes are more fun at IMI. I think learning the basics at somewhere like HPR is too dangerous.

Radek
Sun Jul 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I had a similar issue when I got my first bike. Unfortunately, I went with the latter option. I think it depends on your motivations and how much money you have to spend. If you're trying to get good as fast as possible, then the smaller the better. My older R6 just had too much power to handle. No amount of street or canyon experience will prepare you for a 100+ hp bike on the track.

Personally, I would look for something that has a lot of cheap used parts available and is easy to work on. Crashing can get expensive and it's inevitable. Also, the smaller bikes are more fun at IMI. I think learning the basics at somewhere like HPR is too dangerous.

hpr is not more danger then IMI .If you crash or someone will crash in to you at IMI paramedics are not there ,They are allways at HPR.

diz
Sun Jul 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
What do paramedics have to do with physics? F=ma. The force you hit the tarmac with is directly proportional to your acceleration.

hpr is not more danger then IMI .If you crash or someone will crash in to you at IMI paramedics are not there ,They are allways at HPR.

Radek
Sun Jul 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM
What do paramedics have to do with physics? F=ma. The force you hit the tarmac with is directly proportional to your acceleration.

its your choice,sooner or later they will show up at IMI anyway.Just comment to your dangerous riding