PDA

View Full Version : New Toy...

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:20 AM
...hauler. Susan and I picked this up yesterday:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/camper2.jpg

We want to do some traveling and take the bikes with us. I'm hoping I can get two street and two dualsport bikes in it, and it has some nice amenities. My first drive with it was during rush hour in pouring rain on I-25. The dually does the job quite nicely. Very smooth and stable at 65.

One-ops
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Yeah that's nice!!!! Congrats man!

j0ker
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Wow! Looks like you guys are ready for the great outdoors! :)

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Awesome! Where'd you buy it?

BTW: http://www.keystonerv.org/ is a good site for Keystone owners.

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys. We got it at Windish RV in Longmont and had a very good buying experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We're planning a trip down to northern AZ to see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. The hydraulic leveling system on that thing is amazing and very convenient.

Gramps
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM
That's a nice setup!

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Right on, Dirk!! You're gonna love traveling with that thing. Nothing better than dragging around your portable house! Fifth-wheels pull so much better than anything else. And, it's legal to ride in a fifth-wheel. It's the only style of trailer that is legal to ride in. Get one of those portable, automatic satellite dishes and you're set. The three S's are very important; Shower, Shitter and Satellite!

Every time we're on our way home with ours, we're wishing we had somewhere else to go instead of home!

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys. We got it at Windish RV in Longmont and had a very good buying experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We're planning a trip down to northern AZ to see the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert. The hydraulic leveling system on that thing is amazing and very convenient.

We bought ours there as well, from Josh. Good place. Not much to look at (facilities) but the techs seem to know there stuff.

~Barn~
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Awesome Dirk! :up:

madvlad
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Party at dirk's! Lol nice man

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Right on, Dirk!! You're gonna love traveling with that thing. Nothing better than dragging around your portable house! Fifth-wheels pull so much better than anything else. And, it's legal to ride in a fifth-wheel. It's the only style of trailer that is legal to ride in. Get one of those portable, automatic satellite dishes and you're set. The three S's are very important; Shower, Shitter and Satellite!

Every time we're on our way home with ours, we're wishing we had somewhere else to go instead of home!

Some states do allow passengers in travel trailers but CO doesn't appear to. I'm surprised that anyone would ride in any type of camper myself.

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM

I definitely wanted a 5th wheel for a bunch of reasons that you know. I'll be looking into the satellite setup. And I'm sure that'll be our reaction too!

Matty
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Nice... Katie and I want to do that in years to come!!! Have fun!

bulldog
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Awesome....congrats Dirk!

Some states do allow passengers in travel trailers but CO doesn't appear to. I'm surprised that anyone would ride in any type of camper myself. Curious why you feel that way as I'd think riding in the would be way more fun than a cramped truck. Is it safety?

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Awesome....congrats Dirk!

Curious why you feel that way as I'd think riding in the would be way more fun than a cramped truck. Is it safety?

Safety as well as the potentially rough ride. The larger 5th wheels may ride OK, but there are times when stuff gets flung around, doors open, etc in mine, and it's 25' feet long.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Some states do allow passengers in travel trailers but CO doesn't appear to. I'm surprised that anyone would ride in any type of camper myself.It's fifth-wheels only, and Colorado does allow passengers in a fifth-wheel. We've never had passengers in ours, but my buddy, Doug, fills his everywhere he goes. All his friends and their dogs on every trip. We tow our boats behind our fifth-wheels, so when we're traveling together we take-up the whole gas station. Therefore, we usually have to hit truck stops to fill-up. There are always cops around that come up to check out our rigs. They've confirmed it's legal and so does our Good Sam web site. Only fifth-wheels are legal to carry passengers.

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 09:56 AM
It's fifth-wheels only, and Colorado does allow passengers in a fifth-wheel. We've never had passengers in ours, but my buddy, Doug, fills his everywhere he goes. All his friends and their dogs on every trip. We tow our boats behind our fifth-wheels, so when we're traveling together we take-up the whole gas station. Therefore, we usually have to hit truck stops to fill-up. There are always cops around that come up to check out our rigs. They've confirmed it's legal and so does our Good Sam web site. Only fifth-wheels are legal to carry passengers.

Sorry, my post wasn't worded correctly. CO doesn't allow passengers in hitched travel trailers, but they are allowed in 5th wheels and in-bed campers. Some states do allow passengers in hitched trailers. Every state is different.

Rabbie303
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
GAH!!! I have RV envy!!! Nice setup man.

asp_125
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
+1 on the auto-leveling system. Beats those old manual setups hands down! We pull in, unhitch and press a button. Then stand back and have a beer while it self levels. ;) The only problem we've occasionally come against is finding an RV site long enough! :D

Watch those overhead cabinet hinges though. The gas struts are too powerful and I've had 3 of the doors pop their hinges already. Cheap repair with some epoxy however.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/12094981273_5767bb4599_b.jpg

#1Townie
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Nice setup man!! I would ride in a camper. With a trusted driver.

Captain Obvious
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Man, you guys and your big rigs. Makes me feel dinky.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/funksouljon/Camping%20Trips/DSC_0252_zpsd91f755d.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/funksouljon/media/Camping%20Trips/DSC_0252_zpsd91f755d.jpg.html)

Captain Obvious
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Nice rig BTW Dirk. Perhaps one day when I can justify....

birchyboy
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Me too
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz330/Birchy_Boy/Camping/BA1BEE16-3E14-4616-94A2-53494B212354_zpsdxebqrxw.jpg

rybo
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 01:16 PM
It's fifth-wheels only, and Colorado does allow passengers in a fifth-wheel. We've never had passengers in ours, but my buddy, Doug, fills his everywhere he goes. All his friends and their dogs on every trip. We tow our boats behind our fifth-wheels, so when we're traveling together we take-up the whole gas station. Therefore, we usually have to hit truck stops to fill-up. There are always cops around that come up to check out our rigs. They've confirmed it's legal and so does our Good Sam web site. Only fifth-wheels are legal to carry passengers.

Dean,

Correct me if I"m wrong, but I believe that one of the requirements is that the passengers in the trailer have to have some way to signal to the driver that they need to stop. A two-way radio, or a light on the front of the trailer that the passengers in the trailer can activate would do.

Captain Obvious
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Arrrrrhhhhh, thats huge too! ;) We actually decided to go small for a while. I expect to expand when the girls are bigger. And don't want to camp, then I will get what I want and go play in the woods by myself.

Me too
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz330/Birchy_Boy/Camping/BA1BEE16-3E14-4616-94A2-53494B212354_zpsdxebqrxw.jpg

Bueller
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Pretty nice Dirk, I sometimes wish I had a bigger one but I am actually thinking of going smaller. I like the hitched hauler since it allows me the full use of my truck bed. The roomy comfort of a large rv is nice but now I wish I would have gone with a slide in and bought a larger enclosed trailer.

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Dean,

Correct me if I"m wrong, but I believe that one of the requirements is that the passengers in the trailer have to have some way to signal to the driver that they need to stop. A two-way radio, or a light on the front of the trailer that the passengers in the trailer can activate would do.
Ya know, I'm not sure. There's a chart that lists all the states that displays all the rules, such as, maximum length, is double towing allowed, minimum weight for brakes, yadda, yadda, yadda. Never read anything about being in contact with the driver. Although, that's
exactly what we do when one of us has to hit the bathroom, cell phone or radio...

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Dean,

That is my understanding as well.

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Pretty nice Dirk, I sometimes wish I had a bigger one but I am actually thinking of going smaller. I like the hitched hauler since it allows me the full use of my truck bed. The roomy comfort of a large rv is nice but now I wish I would have gone with a slide in and bought a larger enclosed trailer.

Yeah, there are many ways to go about it. We thought about it quite a bit before going for this setup. This one isn't too big but still has a decent sized garage and will serve us well for the kinds of things we want to do. You should know that hanging out with you and Renata at HPR got Susan thinking about all this...

Kim-n-Dean
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM
You should know that hanging out with you and Renata at HPR got Susan thinking about all this...
That's too funny!! The last time Kim and I slept in a tent was around 2006. We were at Rampart and ended up sleeping in Dave's back bunk the last night of the trip. I don't think Kim had introduced Dave and Renata, yet, but less than a year later, we bought our fifth-wheel. It's all Dave's fault!!!!!

bulldog
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 03:21 PM

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/funksouljon/Camping%20Trips/DSC_0252_zpsd91f755d.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/funksouljon/media/Camping%20Trips/DSC_0252_zpsd91f755d.jpg.html)

Still nicer than mine
http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/7280344924_d21a507255_o.jpg

Nguyen
Thu Jul 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Wow! Nice! that has adventure and fun written all over it.
Riding around the U.S. is first on my bucket list. Looks like you can do that all while with your family too.

bulldog
Fri Jul 18th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Wow! Nice! that has adventure and fun written all over it.
Riding around the U.S. is first on my bucket list. Looks like you can do that all while with your family too. Yeah I went all out for the honeymoon...$50 at Hobby Lobbies decoration dept! :lol:

~Barn~
Fri Jul 18th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I think he was saying that to Dirk...

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Resurrecting this thread to show the new tow rig I got last week. I had been keeping an eye out for a while for a newer F350 since my '02 was only rated to pull a 12,500# 5th wheel and our RV is 13,000# empty. The '02 did pretty well, loved that 7.3 motor, but I was worried about going over the big passes and having some safety margin on the downhill run. Finally found what I was looking for:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~terrell/images/2011_tow_rig.jpg

It's a 2011 with 53K miles and set up nicely inside with navigation, etc. Last summer we moved to the new place and did get out in the RV much. This year we'll be hitting the road quite a bit more.

Gramps
Tue Mar 15th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Nice!

Clovis
Tue Mar 15th, 2016, 09:00 PM
That's a man's truck, LOL.

Congrats Dirk :)

birchyboy
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 06:38 AM
Great looking truck!

#1Townie
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 09:22 AM
how are you enjoying that 6.7 block? I haven't heard much about them.

dirkterrell
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 11:31 AM
how are you enjoying that 6.7 block? I haven't heard much about them.

So far, so good. Noticeably more power, with a little more turbo lag than the 7.3, but when it kicks in, it really goes.

#1Townie
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 03:49 PM
thats how my 6.4 is but I trust my 7.3 more.

JKOL
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 09:15 PM
The 6.7 is a monster. The father in law has the same truck as Dirk and the wife has an '11 F250. The wife's 250 pulls a 30' trailer loaded with 4 sleds effortlessly even at higher altitudes like Kremling or Granby. There is noticeable lag, but like Dirk said once boost starts building you have to get off the gas or you will run right up the ass of anyone in front of you. It is fun to drive because it has so much power. Even with all the extra weight and significant power increase over my F150, it has better fuel economy than my smaller truck.

Aaron
Wed Mar 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM
I just wish all of this power would translate to not clogging up every road ever.