PDA

View Full Version : HWY Shoulder Legal Question

gator4life108
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
In my last ABATE ARC class the question got brought up about riding the shoulder in traffic jams on the highway. Nobody had a solid answer and some were saying they read it is officer discretion. I checked the Colorado statutes and couldn't find anything. I have a buddy that I ride with who is always wanting to ride the shoulder in traffic jams on the highway, but I'm always hesitant.

Anyone have anything or know anything concerning this?

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Definition of Roadway:
""Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk, berm, or shoulder even though such sidewalk,
berm, or shoulder is used by persons riding bicycles or other human-powered vehicles and
exclusive of that portion of a highway designated for exclusive use as a bicycle path or reserved
for the exclusive use of bicycles, human-powered vehicles, or pedestrians. In the event that a
highway includes two or more separate roadways, "roadway" refers to any such roadway
separately but not to all such roadways collectively."

"Under no condition shall an attempt be made to pass upon the shoulder or any portion
of the roadway remaining to the right of the indicated right-hand traffic lane."

1503. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.
(1) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a traffic lane, and no motor vehicle shall be
driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a traffic lane. This
subsection (1) shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.
(2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake or pass in the same lane occupied by
the vehicle being overtaken.
(3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent
lines or rows of vehicles.
(4) Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.
(5) Subsections (2) and (3) of this section shall not apply to police officers in the
performance of their official duties.
(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic
infraction.

Generic
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251800113662&ssbinary=true

WHITE LINES:

Separate lanes of traffic moving in the same direction.

• Broken White Line:
You may change lanes if it is safe to do so.

• Solid White Line: Requires you to stay within the lane and also marks the shoulder of the roadway.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM
"Under no condition shall an attempt be made to pass upon the shoulder or any portion
of the roadway remaining to the right of the indicated right-hand traffic lane."

Whoever wrote this has obviously never sat in a traffic jam, on a motorcycle, for 30 minutes, in 95 degree heat! :lol:

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
I was in a bad jam on 470, past Morrison going north (where there isnt an off ramp for like 7 miles) and I rode the shoulder out of it. Passed the accident and waved at State Patrol... He waved back :hibye:

Another time at I25 and 225 and some dick pulled into the shoulder when he saw me coming. It got pretty shitty and there happened to be a cop a handful of cars back that saw it all. Dude got a reckless endangerment ticket for it. Cop said that he was a motorcyclist :eyebrows:. He also said that riding the shoulder is illegal but that hes never seen a cop write a motorcyclist up when stuck in traffic.

I think the moral of the story is to use your head. I usually will kick it in traffic until the bike is really hot and I cant stand the heat anymore. Then I will go 5mph down the shoulder.

bulldog
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:48 PM
Whoever wrote this has obviously never sat in a traffic jam, on a motorcycle, for 30 minutes, in 95 degree heat! :lol: I believe the issue is more the carbon dioxide you breathe in during those traffic jams and not so much the heat....swore that is what I read why CA allows lane splitting.

Grim2.0
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I will go 5mph down the shoulder.

This, I did it a few times because of overheating, as long as you aren't hauling ass "usually" nobody cares.

bulldog
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Found it:

The California Highway Patrol authorized lane sharing to protect motorcyclists from carbon monoxide exposure and being rear-ended by other vehicles, and Camp Pendleton authorized the practice in 2009.

So basically we are probably under similar situations here in a traffic jam and the issue is we are sitting breathing in toxic fumes that could kill us. So yeah I think most cops understand as long as you go like 5mph down the side.

big_sur
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 02:55 PM
It'd be sweet if we could get lane splitting legalized here. Doubt carbon monoxide is any different from sitting in a car breathing it though.

bulldog
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:13 PM
It'd be sweet if we could get lane splitting legalized here. Doubt carbon monoxide is any different from sitting in a car breathing it though. Maybe on older cars, but most newer cars have cabin filters that need to be replaced...my car has one.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Lane splitting is seriously over rated and massively dangerous. You think the squids are dumb now just think about them if they are now allowed to lane split. Give an inch and take mile.

There is no difference sitting in traffic on a bike or in a car with the windows down.

big_sur
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
That's just removing dust, pollen, etc. There's no filter that can remove carbon monoxide as it's a gas, not a particle, and it will pass through any filter. Carbon monoxide can be removed by reacting it with oxygen and converting it to harmless carbon dioxide, but that's not really filtering it. This is what some NASCAR teams do.

big_sur
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Lane splitting is seriously over rated and massively dangerous. You think the squids are dumb now just think about them if they are now allowed to lane split. Give an inch and take mile.

I don't really care what squids do. Lane splitting reduces traffic congestion overall and gets me as a motorcyclist where I want to go more quickly while reducing the chance that I get rear ended sitting in traffic. It works wonderfully everywhere else in the world but Americans are just too retarded to get over the "he's cutting the line" fallacy.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:36 PM
I don't really care what squids do. Lane splitting reduces traffic congestion overall and gets me as a motorcyclist where I want to go more quickly while reducing the chance that I get rear ended sitting in traffic. It works wonderfully everywhere else in the world but Americans are just too retarded to get over the "he's cutting the line" fallacy.

Well you should because its going to be the however many morons in front of you that piss someone off to the point where they swerve at you or open a door at you. Sure they will get in trouble but you're going to get jacked.

Grim2.0
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Well you should because its going to be the however many morons in front of you that piss someone off to the point where they swerve at you or open a door at you. Sure they will get in trouble but you're going to get jacked.

I'll split your lane............

bulldog
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 03:54 PM
Yeah I suppose the law was just made for no reason then.... CSC scientists at work here...they should have just consulted you guys and saved tons of money! :lol:

I just posted the law segments, so you guys go argue with the person that signed it in :dunno:

The California Highway Patrol authorized lane sharing to protect motorcyclists from carbon monoxide exposure and being rear-ended by other vehicles, and Camp Pendleton authorized the practice in 2009.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Yeah I suppose the law was just made for no reason then.... CSC scientists at work here...they should have just consulted you guys and saved tons of money! :lol:

I just posted the law segments, so you guys go argue with the person that signed it in :dunno:

Hahahaha because California has proven itself to be so reliable with fact finding research before creating laws right? You do know Frisco tried to kick the military out of the bay right?

Bro 90% of my job is driving in Cali. How often are you there driving? I'm in Oakland almost every day.

And from what I remember its not about a rider breathing the carbon its about bikes putting out more carbon or some shit. They want the bikes to get off the road asap.

Simmer down dude.

Grim in love when you split my lane!

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 04:15 PM
Correction it dates back to when most bikes were air cooled and would over heat. I see absolutely nothing in reference to co2.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:13 PM
I dont think lane splitting is necessary in Colorado.... until 10 million more Californians move here that is :bs:

Just let me cruise the shoulder when I need to.

big_sur
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:25 PM

I don't think there is any CA law authorizing lane splitting, it's just not prohibited. High school chemistry says you can't filter carbon monoxide, but the chief benefits of lane splitting are typically the reduced rear end motorcycle fatalities and the increased overall efficiency.

I try to be a generally reasonable person when I ride\drive\live and generally speaking, I feel like that comes back in the form of courteous behavior from others. That whole do unto others thing... I don't ride 100 on the highway, I don't get all up in people's shit, I wear gear, I don't ride a stretched 600 with ghettoboys lighting, and while there is occasionally someone who is just having a shitty day and I somehow aggravated them, I generally just keep on going and that's the end of it. In my experience lane splitting in CA and Italy, it works perfectly fine and people are generally courteous and give you all the room they can. Obviously don't be an ass about it and do 50mph faster than the flow of traffic, but 5-10mph faster in slow traffic and everything is perfectly fine. Yes, there are psychopaths out there, but is respectful riding really going to trigger that? From the Hurt report, "Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause" and they get charged with attempted manslaughter and sent to jail before they and their insurance company get sued to kingdom come and back.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM
I don't think there is any CA law authorizing lane splitting, it's just not prohibited. High school chemistry says you can't filter carbon monoxide, but the chief benefits of lane splitting are typically the reduced rear end motorcycle fatalities and the increased overall efficiency.

I try to be a generally reasonable person when I ride\drive\live and generally speaking, I feel like that comes back in the form of courteous behavior from others. That whole do unto others thing... I don't ride 100 on the highway, I don't get all up in people's shit, I wear gear, I don't ride a stretched 600 with ghettoboys lighting, and while there is occasionally someone who is just having a shitty day and I somehow aggravated them, I generally just keep on going and that's the end of it. In my experience lane splitting in CA and Italy, it works perfectly fine and people are generally courteous and give you all the room they can. Obviously don't be an ass about it and do 50mph faster than the flow of traffic, but 5-10mph faster in slow traffic and everything is perfectly fine. Yes, there are psychopaths out there, but is respectful riding really going to trigger that? From the Hurt report, "Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause" and they get charged with attempted manslaughter and sent to jail before they and their insurance company get sued to kingdom come and back.

A few things I just learned today is that as of this year it is now legal to split lanes in Cali and yes its because of rear ending. Another thing I learned is that if there is a accident with lane splitting it is always the riders fault. Part of lane splitting is using the proper speed for the conditions. If there is a accident the rider is blamed for not being able to stop.

So in other words a car can cut you off and bam you're down. All driver has to say is that he didn't see you and not only does he not get in trouble but you get a ticket.

Lane splitting just isn't worth the issues.

big_sur
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:02 PM
It's just not an issue though if you're splitting in very slow\stopped traffic, which is really the only time you should be splitting. There's nowhere for cars to move to or reason for them to move over. Yes, youtube videos of bikes doing 120 through stopped traffic make it seem really dangerous and stupid, and yes, doing it that way is really dangerous and stupid. If practiced within reason though, it's just not an issue and it works so well for getting around in congestion. At a societal level, it improves congestion and reduces motorcycle fatalities. What's not to like about that?

Drano
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Lane splitting just isn't worth the issues.

I would definitely agree with this in regards to the United States. Splitting can work, but it is culturally dependent. For example, lane splitting is legal in most, if not all, of Europe. It is something about here that is the problem, and it ranges from the same mentality of individuals who feel they can block the passing lane to prevent speeders from breaking the law, to road-ragers, you name it! During the 3 years I lived in the UK I noticed a drastic difference in how the people there drive versus here. It was efficient, methodical and, for the most part, no-drama driving at its finest. The passing lane was generally open, except in gridlock, and people could drive at the speed they please if they were willing to risk the ticket. Here, it's just trouble.

gator4life108
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
While I lived and rode in Spain where lane splitting is legal I noticed a couple of things. Cars were more courteous to motorcycles and allowed room for them to pass. I was shocked the first time a car moved over in his lane on a two lane road to allow me to pass him using part of his lane, this was a normal occurrence. Lane splitting in heavy traffic seemed just as dangerous as it did in Cali. Something I never tried nor wanted to try. I think people abuse lane splitting. Should not be used to speed through traffic like a maniac. Going at 5 or 10 mph I can understand, still not something I want to try.

Onto the main subject of using the shoudler I have done it twice in deadlock traffic going about 5-10 mph, but I was a little nervous doing it. Once we did it because some cager kept coming up on us really fast and close. Wanted to see what people felt about using the shoulder in traffic jams on highways since I have seen cops like others have stated not care about riders using the shoulder.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 06:45 PM
It's just not an issue though if you're splitting in very slow\stopped traffic, which is really the only time you should be splitting. There's nowhere for cars to move to or reason for them to move over. Yes, youtube videos of bikes doing 120 through stopped traffic make it seem really dangerous and stupid, and yes, doing it that way is really dangerous and stupid. If practiced within reason though, it's just not an issue and it works so well for getting around in congestion. At a societal level, it improves congestion and reduces motorcycle fatalities. What's not to like about that?

You are trying to use reason. There is no reason when it comes to angry dumb people. I'm just saying it isn't worth it. It just isn't.

JKOL
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:14 PM
I drove from San Diego to Fresno when I arrived in CA to run a solar project last summer. Going through LA I had 4 CHP split lanes between myself and another vehicle while in a curve at full highway speed.....not in a traffic jam, at 70+mph. Dumbest shit I have ever seen and made even better by the fact that it wasn't squids in backwards hat with spine protectors, but Seven Mary 3 & 4.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
I drove from San Diego to Fresno when I arrived in CA to run a solar project last summer. Going through LA I had 4 CHP split lanes between myself and another vehicle while in a curve at full highway speed.....not in a traffic jam, at 70+mph. Dumbest shit I have ever seen and made even better by the fact that it wasn't squids in backwards hat with spine protectors, but Seven Mary 3 & 4.

Hahahaha I loved that show as a kid!

JKOL
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hahahaha I loved that show as a kid!

I was hoping someone would get the reference.

Aaron
Tue Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM
Lane splitting and riding the shoulder is illegal in Colorado, and probably always will be.

That being said, in traffic, I personally wouldn't have a problem with bikes doing either. You're risking the cop's discretion.

AOK303
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:15 AM
I try to not ride the shoulder but pulling off and stopping on your bike on the highway not great or legal too. last year i had to do it 4 times i always exit first ramp so its not like im crusing the lane.
Ive had 2 do it twice this year once on six once on i25 Knock on wood that will be it on i25 a cop did watch me do it but didnt flash lights or siren or try to fallow i was only going about 5 mph

bulldog
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 07:32 AM

I try to be a generally reasonable person when I ride\drive\live and generally speaking, I feel like that comes back in the form of courteous behavior from others. That whole do unto others thing... I don't ride 100 on the highway, I don't get all up in people's shit, I wear gear, I don't ride a stretched 600 with ghettoboys lighting, and while there is occasionally someone who is just having a shitty day and I somehow aggravated them, I generally just keep on going and that's the end of it. In my experience lane splitting in CA and Italy, it works perfectly fine and people are generally courteous and give you all the room they can. Obviously don't be an ass about it and do 50mph faster than the flow of traffic, but 5-10mph faster in slow traffic and everything is perfectly fine. Yes, there are psychopaths out there, but is respectful riding really going to trigger that? From the Hurt report, "Deliberate hostile action by a motorist against a motorcycle rider is a rare accident cause" and they get charged with attempted manslaughter and sent to jail before they and their insurance company get sued to kingdom come and back. I admit i was wrong about the filters and they do not filter carbon monoxide. I guess am juts thinking common sense wise though and what stops carbon monoxide.....steel and panes of glass....exactly what a car is :dunno: Yeah windows rolled down defeats that purpose, but I would think a cage of glass and steel/aluminum would shied most carbon monoxide. No idea if the actual law was about this, but I just put the exert from what I remember reading about it.

P.S. Townie, no need for me to simmer down....you can probably tell I kind of enjoy arguing :lol: At least this is what my wife tells me....

This article is stating that CHP did finally put out rules for lane splitting in January (cracking down on speed of lane splitters; which I agree with):
The new rules, which the CHP introduced in January after consulting with other state agencies and motorcycle-rider groups, apply to city streets, highways and freeways across the state.
"Basically, what we're most interested in is the speeds," Pope said. "You should lane-split no faster than 10 mph over the speed of traffic around you, and we recommend (motorcyclists) not split at all if the traffic is faster than 30 mph."
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Motorcycle-lane-splitting-rules-unveiled-4270272.php

Tons of info on it here: http://lanesplittingislegal.com/

Slo
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
I don't think there is any CA law authorizing lane splitting, it's just not prohibited.

When I was in CA, DMV motorcycle handbook, right on the inside of the cover mentioned something along the lines of, although not recommended it is legal to split lanes.

bulldog
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:53 AM
When I was in CA, DMV motorcycle handbook, right on the inside of the cover mentioned something along the lines of, although not recommended it is legal to split lanes. I did see Senate Bill 350 was introduced to try to stop lane splitting. Now sure how it works, but I'd assume if a Senate bill is needed to stop it, then at one point it had to be issued as legal...I don't get into politics though

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB350

Bill 350 died though! http://lanesplittingislegal.com/tag/sb-350

big_sur
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
For decades, California has been the only state to permit lane splitting. While not specifically permitted or prohibited in the California Vehicle Code, lane splitting authority comes from the California Highway Patrol. In early 2013, the CHP published lane splitting guidelines4 for the first time. While the guidelines do not carry the force of law, they provide clear indicators under which a motorcyclist might be cited for unsafe or imprudent behavior.
Legislatively, there has been state-level activity on lane splitting, although to date no bill has been enacted5.

And in related news, the CHP dropped the guidelines from their website etc yesterday - http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/18904/Motorcycle-Article/AMA-Petitions-for-CA-Lane-Splitting-Guidelines.aspx

You can see the guidelines here - http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Libraries/Rights_Documents_State/lanesplitting_guidelines.sflb.ashx?download=true

teamextreme
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Now sure how it works, but I'd assume if a Senate bill is needed to stop it, then at one point it had to be issued as legal...I don't get into politics though

Laws are written to make things illegal, not written to make things legal. If a law was required to make things legal, everything you do everyday would require a law to make it legal. Want to pick your nose? Better be a law stating it's legal, otherwise you're busted! In CO we (unfortunately) have a law that specifically states you can't lane split (as posted above). A similar law doesn't exist in CA.

#1Townie
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:30 PM
I did see Senate Bill 350 was introduced to try to stop lane splitting. Now sure how it works, but I'd assume if a Senate bill is needed to stop it, then at one point it had to be issued as legal...I don't get into politics though

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB350

Bill 350 died though! http://lanesplittingislegal.com/tag/sb-350

The bill was shot down after chp stepped up and said no.

While there has never been publicly written guidelines it has and always will be up to the officer to make judgement calls if a rider is splitting unsafe.

bulldog
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Laws are written to make things illegal, not written to make things legal. If a law was required to make things legal, everything you do everyday would require a law to make it legal. Want to pick your nose? Better be a law stating it's legal, otherwise you're busted! In CO we (unfortunately) have a law that specifically states you can't lane split (as posted above). A similar law doesn't exist in CA. Funny as a new law was just put into affect in Colorado to make that illegal marijuana legal now :D

Wrider
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
Funny as a new law was just put into affect in Colorado to make that illegal marijuana legal now :D

Technically the new law simply repealed the old law, so it didn't "legalize" anything.

Aaron
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:02 PM
And it didn't repeal the old law, just certain subsections of it.

AOK303
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
and it didnt give me pie

#1Townie
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
and it didnt give me pie

Or ice cream.

Wrider
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:30 PM
and it didnt give me pie

Or ice cream.

I want my damn pie a la mode!

#1Townie
Wed Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:59 PM
I want my damn pie a la mode!

And wedding cake!!!!!

GMR
Thu Jul 24th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I was sitting in traffic a week ago going south on 25 and saw another bike go cruise onto the shoulder..I wonder if it was someone on here? Seems harmless enough... definitely on the cager if that upsets them at all--haters will hate. I hated lane splitting in California though, and hope it's never legal here. Too many people work 12+ hour shifts, had a shitty day, or are on vacation after driving a dozen+ hours that day. It's just not safe, and although we hate cagers it's really not their fault for not seeing a motorcycle driving down the middle of the lane often going in and out of blind spots. Keep it to the shoulder. I've been tempted to split lanes before, but no matter what mood I'm in or how much of a hurry I still haven't, and probably never will.

What about splitting lanes coming up to a red light? I'd be too worried that an angry driver would throw something at me or spit on me, but that's tempting.

big_sur
Thu Jul 24th, 2014, 08:11 AM
It IS safer though. It's like airplanes. Yes, emotional monkey brain sees a million pounds of metal hurling through the air at 475 mph and says, "bad, not safe, will fall and die", but in actuality, it's much safer than driving a car. Similarly, monkey brain sees motorcycle lane splitting, "objects too close together, will crash and die," but really the reduction in fatalities from getting crunched between two cars in a rear end collisions in stop and go traffic outweighs the minute amount of accidents caused by lane splitting and is actually safer overall than not splitting.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it, but it's silly to stop others from doing it out of irrational fear.

rush4theyeho
Thu Jul 24th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I've gotten close to riding the shoulder before, never did it though. Sitting in 95+ degree heat, leather jacket in standstill traffic is enough to push anyone to roll up on that nice and wide shoulder. I do recall one morning on my way from Downtown --> Denver Tech Center on I-25, there was a guy just rolling down traffic on the side on his ducati.

UHATEIT
Thu Jul 24th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I was in a bad jam on 470, past Morrison going north (where there isnt an off ramp for like 7 miles) and I rode the shoulder out of it. Passed the accident and waved at State Patrol... He waved back :hibye:

Another time at I25 and 225 and some dick pulled into the shoulder when he saw me coming. It got pretty shitty and there happened to be a cop a handful of cars back that saw it all. Dude got a reckless endangerment ticket for it. Cop said that he was a motorcyclist :eyebrows:. He also said that riding the shoulder is illegal but that hes never seen a cop write a motorcyclist up when stuck in traffic.

I think the moral of the story is to use your head. I usually will kick it in traffic until the bike is really hot and I cant stand the heat anymore. Then I will go 5mph down the shoulder.

Thats a good story right there. Did you actually pull over and talk with the cop and the driver? I assume so sinc eyou mentioned what the guy got the ticket for. I drive the 225 home everyday up to Parker Rd and I always see Harleys hauling as son the shoulder. I would not be hauling ass but maybe riding at 15-20 or so but I too have been worried about a cop giving me a ticket. I guess it's up to their discression, but technically it IS illegal per that cop.

Colorado S14
Thu Jul 24th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I have ridden the shoulder once and it was because we got stuck in traffic on 25 southbound and a couple of the bikes were overheating. I was the first rider in the line and we were doing maybe 15-20mph with traffic at a standstill we did have one dipshit somewhat pull into the shoulder to try to stop us. I agree with what has been said on here about how Americans are lunatics when it comes to "cutting in line," when I was in Europe no one cared that bikes passed on the shoulder or split a lane.

FZRguy
Fri Jul 25th, 2014, 04:08 AM
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- A single complaint from a Sacramento man has forced the California Highway Patrol and other state government agencies to remove information from their websites that was intended to help motorcyclists safely execute the allowed lane-splitting maneuver.

Kenneth Mandler, a longtime state employee who now conducts training sessions on how to get a state job, petitioned the California Office of Administrative Law in 2013, claiming the CHP created an "underground regulation" by formulating and distributing guidelines for safe lane splitting.

Lane splitting, also called lane filtering, is the practice of riding a motorcycle or scooter between lanes of stopped or slowly moving traffic. The practice has been permitted in California for decades and no statute prohibits it. No other state allows the maneuver.

The CHP posted its guidelines with the intention of helping motorcyclists and motorists understand safe practices and to discourage unsafe lane splitting.

"Some have interpreted the recently published Motorcycle Lane Splitting Guidelines as rules, laws or regulations that could or would be enforced by the department," according to a CHP statement. "The guidelines were never intended for this purpose and were prepared simply as common sense traffic safety tips and to raise public awareness."

The Office of Administrative Law sided with Mandler, noting that CHP Commissioner J. A. Farrow certified that his department would not "issue, use, enforce, or attempt to enforce the public education information." The OAL determined that posting the guidelines on the website was "issuing" them.

"By forcing the California Highway Patrol to remove its guidelines, Mr. Mandler and the Office of Administrative Law are denying the public vital safety information," said Nick Haris, AMA western states representative and a member of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee, which helped write the guidelines.

"Lane splitting is still allowed, and motorcyclists are still using this long-recognized riding technique to relieve traffic congestion and improve safety," Haris said. "But now, neither riders nor motorists have a place to turn for authoritative guidelines on the practice."

The AMA supports the continued use of safe lane splitting in California and the implementation of lane-splitting laws in other states, coupled with extensive rider and driver education programs.

The AMA position statement reads, in part: "Reducing a motorcyclist's exposure to vehicles that are frequently accelerating and decelerating on congested roadways can be one way to reduce front- and rear-end collisions for those most vulnerable in traffic."

Denny Kobza, of the Bay Area Riders' Forum and a member of the California Motorcyclist Safety Program Advisory Committee, said he was extremely disappointed that the CHP was forced to take down the guidelines.

"It is very disturbing that one person can affect three years of hard work," Kobza said. "We put a lot of hard work into those guidelines, because lane splitting is a safer way to go than waiting for a motorist to make a mistake."

Kobza said he has full faith in the California Highway Patrol's continued advocacy for motorcycle safety, and he hopes the guidelines can be reposted to state government websites soon.

The complete AMA lane splitting position statement is available here: http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/PositionStatements/LaneSplitting.aspx (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001Zkpg0y6ijuS_qbOymW9Ycppt-xqtoAsGEsYD0sBS9xqYbim10kSwBJzBuNYx5BquGrBF45KPw9k FalJtW83doypRA8LhxfXp6mWvxkNPIcFIwxxFPcdzlRAhTsiNq SMO-YDzmNAfqvv0-LKkg9wIAZmBulqvaAZ8WmknfKp6A0HmUM0o4usdXDVIHzTgK-wwsxxFJNn7JhnigUdoRNStFWNDm9M0gGSBtGBxGa5qHXUXYqUS 3cKdGw==&c=NBiWH5AV2vYiFqywkXEQNQNC0qKF16vX-DtqQoUvzU_q2MI1p0Ut1A==&ch=0p7YwThrJbb8KejGcYkXtC9YEFxVQ4CuqAFKcowWBhbcQgQ s_1_VaA==).

The deleted CHP guidelines can still be downloaded here: http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Libraries/Rights_Documents_State/lanesplitting_guidelines.sflb.ashx?download=true.

UHATEIT
Sun Jul 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Whether its legal or not I just cruised the shoulder for around 10 miles on the 70 on Saturday coming back from Squaw Pass/Idaho Springs. It was backed up all the way from the top of Floyd hill down to the 470. Reason why... a giat group of Ruff Ryders was pulled over by the cops. There were 4 cop cars there including 2 parked the opposite direction on the damn 70. The Freeway was down from 4 lanes to 2. I dont know if there was an accident or not or if the cops were just pulling over a whole group of bikers to give them a hard time. But I couldnt stand waiting in the line as it was raining too so cruising the shoulder at 20-25 got me through it it maybe 5 minutes or so.

teamextreme
Sun Jul 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
the 70

Someone's from CA.

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 29th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Someone's from CA.

hahahahaha I get that all the time. Yes I'm from CA. Born and raise for 26 years, moved here 4 years ago. I get shit from my local coworkers when I say the 70, the 25, the 225, the 270.

Slo
Tue Jul 29th, 2014, 10:09 AM
hahahahaha I get that all the time. Yes I'm from CA. Born and raise for 26 years, moved here 4 years ago. I get shit from my local coworkers when I say the 70, the 25, the 225, the 270.

How long did it take you to stop calling them freeways and change to highways? Took me a while haha.

Ted
Tue Jul 29th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I got a 4 point ticket in June 2012 for "passing on the right" on Foothills in Boulder on my gixxer. To those familiar with foothills parkway in Boulder, I had just made a left turn from Colorado Ave onto Foothills around 8:45am and the traffic was backed up with no cars moving. Right turn on Arapahoe was going to be my next turn, so I got on the should and rode at about 10 mph. There happen to be a Boulder PD officer on duty stuck in traffic as well and he certainly didn't fancy what I was doing...so he pulled me over.... and the result was a 4 point ticket for passing on the right. ..... so depending on who pulls you over, a citation could be issued.

I think all of foothills parkway is a state highway....don't remember...could be wrong....

UHATEIT
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
How long did it take you to stop calling them freeways and change to highways? Took me a while haha.

I still call then freeways!

07D675CO
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
It IS safer though. It's like airplanes. Yes, emotional monkey brain sees a million pounds of metal hurling through the air at 475 mph and says, "bad, not safe, will fall and die", but in actuality, it's much safer than driving a car. Similarly, monkey brain sees motorcycle lane splitting, "objects too close together, will crash and die," but really the reduction in fatalities from getting crunched between two cars in a rear end collisions in stop and go traffic outweighs the minute amount of accidents caused by lane splitting and is actually safer overall than not splitting.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't do it, but it's silly to stop others from doing it out of irrational fear.

Exactly.

#1Townie
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
Exactly.

Blaahahaha.. So he makes a decent comparison of lane splitting to airplanes?

I will take that same great example for the noobs and raise them this simple part. Airplanes are all monitored by a "traffic controller". Without someone sitting at the desk and telling these there would be crashes almost every day. At almost every airport. Making driving a car safer. There is a ton that goes into aviation. Its not like street traffic where just about anything and everything can happen.

If you are paying proper attention to your surroundings you will NEVER get smashed in traffic by that car behind you. Just won't happen. Its called knowing how to ride and situating yourself for an escape route. Simple as that. Head should always be moving. You should always be watching 360 degrees.

It is far easier to react to a car coming in hot behind you than car changing lanes when you're just feet away. Can't go left.. Can't go right. Can't stop in time. Done.

07D675CO
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM
Blaahahaha.. So he makes a decent comparison of lane splitting to airplanes?

I will take that same great example for the noobs and raise them this simple part. Airplanes are all monitored by a "traffic controller". Without someone sitting at the desk and telling these there would be crashes almost every day. At almost every airport. Making driving a car safer. There is a ton that goes into aviation. Its not like street traffic where just about anything and everything can happen.

If you are paying proper attention to your surroundings you will NEVER get smashed in traffic by that car behind you. Just won't happen. Its called knowing how to ride and situating yourself for an escape route. Simple as that. Head should always be moving. You should always be watching 360 degrees.

It is far easier to react to a car coming in hot behind you than car changing lanes when you're just feet away. Can't go left.. Can't go right. Can't stop in time. Done.

I really meant his last sentence. I should have just quoted that I suppose. I lane split for years every day to and from work in CA with never an issue because I'm not an idiot. If you do it safely there really is no additional risk to that already taken on by riding a bike to begin with. For people that don't have a lot of experience doing it to say anything negative about it is BS and they just need to keep their uninformed opinions to themselves.

#1Townie
Sun Aug 3rd, 2014, 07:10 AM
For people that don't have a lot of experience doing it to say anything negative about it is BS and they just need to keep their uninformed opinons to themselves.

Care to elaborate further?

07D675CO
Sun Aug 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM
Care to elaborate further?

What I am saying is if you have not done it for any period of time then you can't know what you are talking about. Would you take the word of a soldier returned from Afghanistan on how dangerous it was over there or some second hand account I gave you having never been there? Clearly the soldier would know what he is talking about while I wouldn't.

#1Townie
Sun Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:27 PM
What I am saying is if you have not done it for any period of time then you can't know what you are talking about. Would you take the world of a soldier returned from Afghanistan on how dangerous it was over there or some second hand account I gave you having never been there? Clearly the soldier would know what he is talking about while I wouldn't.

So I'm guessing you're referring to me with those comments?

07D675CO
Wed Aug 13th, 2014, 08:10 PM
So I'm guessing you're referring to me with those comments?

If you have not done it for months or years daily then I suppose what I said might include you. If someone that has done it for a long time has something bad to say about it let them speak up.

#1Townie
Thu Aug 14th, 2014, 03:22 AM
Or maybe you shouldn't make assumptions. okay.. Rookie. My very first day riding was a ride around tahoe. Cali side we split. Very first time. Cars started swerving at us and running us onto the dirt.

I have more then anough experience to make my comments. The shit creates a level of anger with drivers that is amazing. And its not the guy doing it respectfully. Its the 20 tards in front of him that pissed that one person off who decides fuck it. All to save you 15 min. Its just not worth it.

PS don't talk to about cali traffic until you have driven a semi in Friday rush hour in LA.

07D675CO
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 08:16 AM
Or maybe you shouldn't make assumptions. okay.. Rookie. My very first day riding was a ride around tahoe. Cali side we split. Very first time. Cars started swerving at us and running us onto the dirt.

I have more then anough experience to make my comments. The shit creates a level of anger with drivers that is amazing. And its not the guy doing it respectfully. Its the 20 tards in front of him that pissed that one person off who decides fuck it. All to save you 15 min. Its just not worth it.

PS don't talk to about cali traffic until you have driven a semi in Friday rush hour in LA.

Clearly you need some reading comprehension lessons. I said it only applies if you haven't done it for a long period of time. If that applies it applies. I in years never had any issues with it and never saw anyone else have issues with it. My guess is you were doing it wrong. But that is just a hunch. Driving a truck has nothing to do with anything in this discussion, so cool story bro.

usmcab35
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 09:30 AM

:hibye: oh I can talk I guess haha, ive driven a semi all over SoCal and used to commute on a bike when I was in the marines there. I see its goods and bads, personally I think it should only be used when traffic is at a near standstill like under 15mph, it makes it far easier as a rider to navigate the tight confines between cars. However I think its dumb to lane split at freeway speeds, for what really? most cali freeways are 4+ lanes, its to easy to just chose another lane and get by. I agree with others that while I find it nice during rush hour, Im almost positive a squid would do something dumb and get it taken away pretty quick.

07D675CO
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 11:27 AM
:hibye: oh I can talk I guess haha, ive driven a semi all over SoCal and used to commute on a bike when I was in the marines there. I see its goods and bads, personally I think it should only be used when traffic is at a near standstill like under 15mph, it makes it far easier as a rider to navigate the tight confines between cars. However I think its dumb to lane split at freeway speeds, for what really? most cali freeways are 4+ lanes, its to easy to just chose another lane and get by. I agree with others that while I find it nice during rush hour, Im almost positive a squid would do something dumb and get it taken away pretty quick.

Squids do stupid things on bikes already, they haven't been taken away. If squids can ride around without a helmet I don't see how riding in between vehicles not moving is nearly as dangerous as that. I would trade the stupid no helmet law for one making lane splitting legal in a split second.

I never really did it if traffic was moving, but at rush hour on Business 80 traffic doesn't move. Super easy to do 15mph through all the cars that are parked on the freeway.

packman5280
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 03:10 PM
I got a 4 point ticket in June 2012 for "passing on the right" on Foothills in Boulder on my gixxer. To those familiar with foothills parkway in Boulder, I had just made a left turn from Colorado Ave onto Foothills around 8:45am and the traffic was backed up with no cars moving. Right turn on Arapahoe was going to be my next turn, so I got on the should and rode at about 10 mph. There happen to be a Boulder PD officer on duty stuck in traffic as well and he certainly didn't fancy what I was doing...so he pulled me over.... and the result was a 4 point ticket for passing on the right. ..... so depending on who pulls you over, a citation could be issued.

I think all of foothills parkway is a state highway....don't remember...could be wrong....

got the exact same ticket back when i lived in boulder, actually it was when i was moving out, last trip, truck packed leaving town. awesome going away present.

UHATEIT
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM
Squids do stupid things on bikes already, they haven't been taken away. If squids can ride around without a helmet I don't see how riding in between vehicles not moving is nearly as dangerous as that. I would trade the stupid no helmet law for one making lane splitting legal in a split second.

I never really did it if traffic was moving, but at rush hour on Business 80 traffic doesn't move. Super easy to do 15mph through all the cars that are parked on the freeway.

Agree with your last comment. I would rather have CO be a helmet law state and a lane splitting allowed state. I would never ride without a helmet so I could care less about having the freedom in CO to go helmetless, but would love the option to do shoulder riding or lane splitting. I have already partaken in riding the shoulder on 70 and 225 and came close this last weekend to doing it on the 25. I don't see that as a problem riding the shoulder since the damn shoulders here in CO are so wide. In CA there is almost nonexistent shoulders because most freeways have had to be streteched so wide to incorporate as many lanes as possible in congested areas. I don't know if I would feel comfortable even lane splitting at all, but shoulder riding I could do for sure.

#1Townie
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 06:39 PM
Clearly you need some reading comprehension lessons. I said it only applies if you haven't done it for a long period of time. If that applies it applies. I in years never had any issues with it and never saw anyone else have issues with it. My guess is you were doing it wrong. But that is just a hunch. Driving a truck has nothing to do with anything in this discussion, so cool story bro.

No clearly you were implying I didn't have the experience. You were just the passive aggressive way of doing. I was picking up what you were trying to put down but I'm on to people like you. You want to say something but you try to word it just right so when you get called out on it you can be like you need to go reread because I never said that.

Fuck that pussy bullshit. Say what you want and put your foot in your mouth. Its okay it happens all the time to everyone. At least you won't be looked at as a coward for getting caught kind of saying something and hiding behind the "you're dumb" argument.

Be a man dude.

#1Townie
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 06:41 PM
Wait did you just day in rush hour traffic doesn't move on 80? Blaaahahahaha. LIE!!!!

#1Townie
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM

I was more being a smartass with someone who thinks they are the only person who has experience with Cali roads. Lol

UHATEIT
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 08:12 PM
I'm not trying to be rude Townie but you are getting very worked up and reading too far into what he said. I don't see him being rude or calling you out on anything. I am from California as well and dont take any offense to anything even if it is directed to say no one else in the thread has California driving experience but I didn't read it as that's what he was doing. Maybe I'm not reading enough into it to try and find something negative in what he says.

#1Townie
Thu Aug 21st, 2014, 08:47 PM
I'm not trying to be rude Townie but you are getting very worked up and reading too far into what he said. I don't see him being rude or calling you out on anything. I am from California as well and dont take any offense to anything even if it is directed to say no one else in the thread has California driving experience but I didn't read it as that's what he was doing. Maybe I'm not reading enough into it to try and find something negative in what he says.

No no no. I've watched for years how people will carefully word things so to say something but not say it. Its what he was doing. Its why I pulled the fifty questions on him.

Just wanted to get the door open enough to slam him with it.

07D675CO
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 08:35 AM
No no no. I've watched for years how people will carefully word things so to say something but not say it. Its what he was doing. Its why I pulled the fifty questions on him.

Just wanted to get the door open enough to slam him with it.

I don't think the world revolves around you like you seem to think so I made a general statement. I don't happen to know everyones riding background so instead of calling specific people out I said what I said. You got butthurt because you thought it applied to you. Hence my first sentence in this post. I rode I80 and B80 back and forth to work for years and lane splitting cut my commute each way from an hour down to about 15-20 mins. That is significant. My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it. You appear to be one of those. It is safe if done correctly. The argument that squids will do it wrong and in a stupid manner could apply to all riding so based on that argument I guess we should just not allow people to ride at all. Problem solved. You as a rider should be on the side of riders not against them. I question your loyalties.

#1Townie
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
I don't think the world revolves around you like you seem to think so I made a general statement. I don't happen to know everyones riding background so instead of calling specific people out I said what I said. You got butthurt because you thought it applied to you. Hence my first sentence in this post. I rode I80 and B80 back and forth to work for years and lane splitting cut my commute each way from an hour down to about 15-20 mins. That is significant. My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it. You appear to be one of those. It is safe if done correctly. The argument that squids will do it wrong and in a stupid manner could apply to all riding so based on that argument I guess we should just not allow people to ride at all. Problem solved. You as a rider should be on the side of riders not against them. I question your loyalties.

My loyalties? Blaaahahahaha. And butthurt? You're a little too new to know anything. You got baited and called out on it. First off stop making things sound worse.

You may have traveled 80 a few times but your idea that it comes to this screeching vault is laughable. In Berkeley it gets backed up a bit for a min but nothing major.

My loyalties.... Blaaahahaha. To who? You?? Random fuck bags that ride around in shorts and tank tops? Blaaahahaha. Yeah no.

Drano
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 09:38 PM
My whole point of my post was people that haven't done it don't understand it and shouldn't be trying to keep experienced people from doing it.

In contrast, some of us have been riding in Colorado for many years, and some, like myself, for less than a few. I can bet the odds are pretty high that most of us can recount an instance where drivers have gone out of their way to be more than a mere nuisance to us. I've had vehicles swerve at me while trying to pass them, and I was in a completely different lane. I wouldn't even dare count the number of times I've dealt with distracted drivers, and that problem continues to worsen. I've had cops called on me for passing a line of traffic in a legal, and safe, place to do so. Others here have had drivers try to chase/run them down. So I have a hard time believing lane-splitting in CO would be any safer than the existing nonsense we already have to deal with and would be hesitant to support any current initiative to legalize it. Frankly, there are greater safety concerns (like helmet laws) that deserve more attention.

07D675CO
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Interesting reading about Lane Splitting in CA.

http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/LaneSplittingReport.pdf

“What we learned is, if you lane-split in a safe or prudent manner, it is no more dangerous than motorcycling in any other circumstance,” Office of Traffic Safety spokesman Chris Cochran said. “If you are speeding or have a wide speed differential (with other traffic), that is where the fatalities came about.”

Which is exactly what I said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article3204990.html#storylink=cpy

#1Townie
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Interesting reading about Lane Splitting in CA.

http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/LaneSplittingReport.pdf

“What we learned is, if you lane-split in a safe or prudent manner, it is no more dangerous than motorcycling in any other circumstance,” Office of Traffic Safety spokesman Chris Cochran said. “If you are speeding or have a wide speed differential (with other traffic), that is where the fatalities came about.”

Which is exactly what I said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article3204990.html#storylink=cpy

And yet you clearly want to ignore the fact that if it were to be randomly implemented into co you would have a shock/rage value. Even in California there is a rage point where people snap and do stupid things like open car doors. And from the last thing I read about all this the rider is always found at fault in a lane splitting accident.

Lane splitting is 90% of the time never done safely or maturely. Too many squids that the general public already lumps riders as a whole with.

Lane splitting would be a powderkeg of issues for Colorado. Just for the simple fact cars wouldnt be looking for riders splitting after years of no splitting.

You have to remember life isn't black and white and just because something "seems" to work one place doesn't mean it will in others.

Aaron
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Townie is right there would definitely be those issues. I'm not afraid to admit in heavy traffic I have been know to safely split lanes. I do it safely and courteously, but I'm a California kid, that's where I grew up, so that's how I ride. I haven't had any problems with rage, but mostly that's because by the time someone sees me and gets pissed, I'm already a few car lengths ahead and there's nothing they can do.

CA is more progressive, and they actually base things on study results. A good example is cop car lighting. Notice how every year CSP puts more lights on their cars and make them flash faster and crazier? The new Chargers gave 2 full lightbars out back! Anyways, California has determined that the most effective lighting to the rear uses a single light bar, with only blue/yellow lights, that flash very slowly if even at all.

07D675CO
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM
And yet you clearly want to ignore the fact that if it were to be randomly implemented into co you would have a shock/rage value. Even in California there is a rage point where people snap and do stupid things like open car doors. And from the last thing I read about all this the rider is always found at fault in a lane splitting accident.

Lane splitting is 90% of the time never done safely or maturely. Too many squids that the general public already lumps riders as a whole with.

Lane splitting would be a powderkeg of issues for Colorado. Just for the simple fact cars wouldnt be looking for riders splitting after years of no splitting.

You have to remember life isn't black and white and just because something "seems" to work one place doesn't mean it will in others.

I am not ignoring anything. While the rider is the more responsible party it is illegal to open ones door to traffic per statutes. If someone opens a door in front of a motorcycle that isn't going to be the fault of the motorcyclist. And that person in the car could very well be charged criminally for the intention. Lane splitting is done by some in a less than safe manner but that should not stop the rest of us responsible people from doing it. Read the statistics. They speak for themselves.

We have had this argument. As for CO drivers not being aware, as Aaron said you are past them before they realize it. I have lane split here and did not have a problem with all these "unaware" cagers. Frankly if the stupid ones die, it really isn't a hit to society. It is called natural selection. I still do not understand why you are so opinionated about something that is taking place in a state you don't live in.

07D675CO
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Townie is right there would definitely be those issues. I'm not afraid to admit in heavy traffic I have been know to safely split lanes. I do it safely and courteously, but I'm a California kid, that's where I grew up, so that's how I ride. I haven't had any problems with rage, but mostly that's because by the time someone sees me and gets pissed, I'm already a few car lengths ahead and there's nothing they can do.

CA is more progressive, and they actually base things on study results. A good example is cop car lighting. Notice how every year CSP puts more lights on their cars and make them flash faster and crazier? The new Chargers gave 2 full lightbars out back! Anyways, California has determined that the most effective lighting to the rear uses a single light bar, with only blue/yellow lights, that flash very slowly if even at all.

Who needs stats when you have a gut......:dunno: As for the lights I have to agree. I feel like I just dropped E listening to rave music when I see the police cars here. JFC.

Matrix
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Travelling to other countries helps put a little perspective on how conservative we are here. In China, each lane is shared by a 1.5 cars, three scooters and a bicyclist , all of which are moving at different speeds and directions. Its really impressive when you think about the amount of miles traveled. But here, each car has to be given twice its width just to make sure we don't bang into each other.

Having ridden in (stop and go) CA traffic, I see the benefits of it and am in heavy favor under the guidelines that CA produced (speeds at which it is legal, sides of the lane to use, and so forth).

Ph03niX
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Here's my little story. My mom and I (separate bikes) were cruising towards i25 and were going to pass over it. I ended up hitting the first light and she went forward and hit the second light. While I was at the first light, traffic piled in behind my mom. My light went green and I decided to go slow to the red light my mother was at because I was going to lane split the stopped traffic to get right next to her. Well there was a lady in a tiny chevy sedan that was right next to me at the first light and sped up to the second light before I got to lane split. I proceed to lane split and get honked at by this random woman. I was no way endangering her or anyone else. I was next to my mother and once the light went green, the lady managed to speed around the cars and get right next to us. We ended up hitting a third light, my mother and I in the right lane and the lady in the left lane. The road ahead of us went from 2 to 1..

And guess what happened.. My mother being a bad ass, wasn't going to let this bat get ahead of her. So the light went green and she floored it, and little did I know, the crazy lady did too!! My mom's 103CI motor whooped the lady. But now she was being tailgated like shes doing 20 under the limit. The lady actually used the small shoulder next my mom and sped around her! Her car was in the dirt going 60+mph speeding around a cruiser..

She was fucking crazy and about 40 years old. Take from that what you will :lol:

#1Townie
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hahahaha California and its "studies". That state is so backassward its not even funny. But hey they have to justify all those taxes right? Lol.

But tell you what go ahead and bring lane splitting there. Go ahead and cry when some raged out retard opens the door and pulls in front of you. IF!! your still alive you can enjoy the he said she said fight.

Not saying the driver wouldn't get into trouble I'm saying the cost to be right would be too high in my book.

GMR
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 06:24 AM
People just suck. Why are Americans so full of rage? There is a discussion on facebook about lane splitting right now and there are so many people who vow they will open their door or merge into you and put you in the dirt if you're lane splitting.

Why can they drive in such shitshows like in China and India, the Autobahn works so effectively in Germany, but out here people get so raged up if you go faster than them. No wonder we have so murders in this country, people just hate their life. Do we blame Eminem, or divorce? Hate to bring race into this, but is it just me or are the road ragers almost always caucasian? Same with serial killers. wtf :confused:

07D675CO
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
People just suck. Why are Americans so full of rage? There is a discussion on facebook about lane splitting right now and there are so many people who vow they will open their door or merge into you and put you in the dirt if you're lane splitting.

Why can they drive in such shitshows like in China and India, the Autobahn works so effectively in Germany, but out here people get so raged up if you go faster than them. No wonder we have so murders in this country, people just hate their life. Do we blame Eminem, or divorce? Hate to bring race into this, but is it just me or are the road ragers almost always caucasian? Same with serial killers. wtf :confused:

People here just can't have someone else do their own thing. They think they are somehow getting left behind. It really is sad. You watch these videos from Oz and Britain and people don't give a second glance to people lane splitting and going around cars that I wouldn't attempt here. America is just a sad sad country quite frankly.

Edit: And yes the white people need to take a chill pill...or more of them because they are wound up tighter than 2 year old.

07D675CO
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Hahahaha California and its "studies". That state is so backassward its not even funny. But hey they have to justify all those taxes right? Lol.

But tell you what go ahead and bring lane splitting there. Go ahead and cry when some raged out retard opens the door and pulls in front of you. IF!! your still alive you can enjoy the he said she said fight.

Not saying the driver wouldn't get into trouble I'm saying the cost to be right would be too high in my book.

None of that would be your problem would it? And people can talk crap all they want. They wouldn't do it and I wouldn't be caught by it because I pay attention while riding. There would be no he said she said, the facts would pretty clearly show what happened along with the video from my go pro. As I posed in another post people talk a lot of crap on the Internet or to their friends but when it really came down to it they won't do it.

Edit: Post number 69 woot woot.

Skitz
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 11:35 AM

Because since kids we had the "no cutting rule" which is why people rage about it.

EDIT: I also believe that you should always pass on the persons passenger side, just to avoid the driver being able to easily open the door.

07D675CO
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Because since kids we had the "no cutting rule" which is why people rage about it.

EDIT: I also believe that you should always pass on the persons passenger side, just to avoid the driver being able to easily open the door.

People in other countries say Britain are taught these same things, yet they don't go ape shit when people lane split there. In fact they move over. So I don't think that is necessarily the reason.

bulldog
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I think it is because people here are suddenly tough guys inside their cars! My guess is because they know if shit goes down they can always drive away.

I just had some guy that was driving crazy and almost hit me so I honked at him. He got all pissed and started yelling at me and actually followed me all the way home. As soon as I got out of my car and he realized I was way bigger than him and ready to throw down, he suddenly became all apologetic and said he thought I told him to follow me.... Yeah right guy was super tough until shit got real. See it over and over here; people are just tough guys in their vehicles....even down to old ladies flipping people off.

95% of people that say they would hit a lane spliter are just talking out their asses....and if they did they would never confront a person face to face...got to have that cage protection.

Aaron
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I'm no small kid, and can certainly defend myself, but you'd be amazed how few people are tough when I open carry. It has so much of an impact that I pretty much open carry whenever I ride.

FZRguy
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 01:49 AM
I did some discreet shoulder riding on Hwy 93 out of Boulder on Thursday afternoon. Couple right turn lanes helped with the discreet part. No one seemed to get upset, but not likely I made any friends.

Nolan
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 07:49 AM
From Youngsfield to Wads last Friday I did the whole lane split thing. Kept it under 20 and nobody honked, pulled a gun, opened their door, or cut me off. I wouldn't ride the shoulder around here just because there is tons of shit that could make quick work of my tires.
Would it be nice if lane splitting was legal? Yes. Realistically though this isn't a massive City with traffic jams 24/7. I think we will mostly get away with being smart, cautious, and less than obnoxious while we are doing things that are less than legal.
IMHO

#1Townie
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm no small kid, and can certainly defend myself, but you'd be amazed how few people are tough when I open carry. It has so much of an impact that I pretty much open carry whenever I ride.

Funny... I feel the same way and I never even carried while doing repo. Lol.

Yeah people are dumb ass fuck in this country when it comes to cars. Just look at the way people merge. I will post a video next week sometime of a epic incident.

UHATEIT
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 12:33 PM
I've ridden a few times on the shoulder (25 NB, 25 SB, 70 EB, and 225 NB) when things come to an absolute stop. Three times were due to an approaching rain storms I wanted to try and get myself moving to avoid them and one of them still caught up with me. I was riding the 225 SB to work the other day and a blue R6 came screaming down the right shoulder due to stupidly slow traffic. I would hope that if I do it I just don't get pulled over, tho in this thread someone did mention trying it on 225 and getting pulled over and the cop actually gave him a ticket

Skitz
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 06:51 PM
People in other countries say Britain are taught these same things, yet they don't go ape shit when people lane split there. In fact they move over. So I don't think that is necessarily the reason.

But they're proper. We no comprahand g00d.

Funny... I feel the same way and I never even carried while doing repo. Lol.
Yeah people are dumb ass fuck in this country when it comes to cars. Just look at the way people merge. I will post a video next week sometime of a epic incident.

That's it. I'm going to carry a shotty on my back, and my XD under my armpit.

Ph03niX
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 08:28 PM
No one sees my open carry haha everything I have and wear is black..

Nolan
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 08:38 PM
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/NolanL1/unnamed_zpsismccuvc.jpg (http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/NolanL1/media/unnamed_zpsismccuvc.jpg.html)

Does this count?

07D675CO
Fri Nov 7th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Saw a good example of what not to do this morning. CBR flying down the shoulder on 225 probably 40+ with cars stop and go. Would have had nowhere to go if a car decided to pull over quickly. Not bright.

Nolan
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 10:45 AM
To revive a dead thread... I was on Kipling and 20th around 330 Friday. Traffic was absolutely shit headed North. I took the opportunity to split the two lanes and made quick work of a couple miles of traffic to I70. Only one gut in his civic seemed upset.
Who knows what group to contact to make lane sharing NOT illegal but not expressly legal. As in California? Or is there something in the works now?

#1Townie
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Fuck yeah do it. Can't wait to see all the posts crying about the road rage after everyone splits lanes.

Nolan
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 11:08 AM
They have to look up from their cell first to know what happened.

#1Townie
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'm sure if you get it okayed this year in about 20 years it won't be too bad.

But honestly even in Cali I get to see a lot of riders who should be shot for their actions as they lane split. Clipping mirrors. Banging on windows. Its retarded.

Nolan
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I'm not arguing people's stupidity. I'm sure you get cut off driving the big truck as much or more than in any other vehicle. As if they can't see the 80000lb bomb rolling along the highway. I'm just being selfish. I don't need or want a ticket for being intelligent enough to not sit for 5 light cycles.
Oh well.

#1Townie
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Well to be honest if you are smart about the whole situation you can get around the Denver traffic relatively easy.

Oh people around semis are fucking retarded. Don't ever expect a semi to slow down so you can merge or move over for you.

Oh and my pure rant. That space I leave in front of me... That's a not a hole for you to jump into. That's the room I need to not kill someone.... So yeah jump in there and slam on your brakes. My safety department loves getting hard braking events from my truck.

bulldog
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Well to be honest if you are smart about the whole situation you can get around the Denver traffic relatively easy.

Oh people around semis are fucking retarded. Don't ever expect a semi to slow down so you can merge or move over for you.

Oh and my pure rant. That space I leave in front of me... That's a not a hole for you to jump into. That's the room I need to not kill someone.... So yeah jump in there and slam on your brakes. My safety department loves getting hard braking events from my truck. The funny part is who wins this regardless; the semi. I laugh when I see people cut them off and then flip the semi off like they are not lucky the semi driver was paying attention. Sure there may have been room for your car, but you are basically putting your hands in another person's reaction when you people play that game against a 60+ ton semi....that is not even considering how much harder it is to stop with a full load.

Goes for when I see motorcyclists tailgating a car to make them go faster; buddy you will lose this one regardless and a motorcycle may not be the right time to tailgate!

Nolan
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 01:58 PM
My personal favorite is when I am actually signalling to move over and they sit right at the dot bar and you get to guess how close they are. It gets really fun with doubles and triples..... Just another reason I am a yard jockey anymore.

#1Townie
Mon Mar 16th, 2015, 02:10 PM
My personal favorite is when I am actually signalling to move over and they sit right at the dot bar and you get to guess how close they are. It gets really fun with doubles and triples..... Just another reason I am a yard jockey anymore.

Meh they get three blinks and I start moving over slowly. They figure it out. Lol.

HG Dude
Wed Aug 26th, 2015, 10:06 AM
It'd be sweet if we could get lane splitting legalized here. Doubt carbon monoxide is any different from sitting in a car breathing it though.
coming from CA, its is incredibly annoying to have to sit and wait when you could easily and safely move thru traffic, it doesn't slow anyone down in a car- there is really no reason to disallow it........its standard practice in CA and the rest of the world

HG Dude
Wed Aug 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Fuck yeah do it. Can't wait to see all the posts crying about the road rage after everyone splits lanes.

they can get over it.....its not like a motorcycle slows them down. its one less vehicle sitting in traffic making the traffic jam worse.

done properly its safer than sitting parked waited to get rearended, having split lanes daily in CA for years on 405....i never once hit a car, never once got hit, we would have 4-5 bikes lined up going 15 mph while everyone else was stopped, riding the line between the HOV lane and the rest of traffic, and the bike in the lead was CHP

#1Townie
Wed Aug 26th, 2015, 02:20 PM
they can get over it.....its not like a motorcycle slows them down. its one less vehicle sitting in traffic making the traffic jam worse.

done properly its safer than sitting parked waited to get rearended, having split lanes daily in CA for years on 405....i never once hit a car, never once got hit, we would have 4-5 bikes lined up going 15 mph while everyone else was stopped, riding the line between the HOV lane and the rest of traffic, and the bike in the lead was CHP

Like I said do it. Make the vote. Tell your representative to make it happen.

HG Dude
Wed Sep 2nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
Like I said do it. Make the vote. Tell your representative to make it happen.

i've contacted them........zero response

then again i'd be a fool to think they actually represent me or anyone else

#1Townie
Wed Sep 2nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Hit the streets. Get signatures.

Wrenchin
Wed Sep 2nd, 2015, 01:15 PM
In my last ABATE ARC class the question got brought up about riding the shoulder in traffic jams on the highway. Nobody had a solid answer and some were saying they read it is officer discretion. I checked the Colorado statutes and couldn't find anything. I have a buddy that I ride with who is always wanting to ride the shoulder in traffic jams on the highway, but I'm always hesitant.

Anyone have anything or know anything concerning this?

In the state of Colorado, this is illegal! I have received warnings for doing just this... The cop recited me the law and then issued the said warning. I have also found that a one month period must pass before another warning can be issued. Good Luck!