PDA

View Full Version : Newb, Noob Ride ????

Spooph
Thu Jul 31st, 2014, 01:05 PM
Anybody interested in doing another one of these?

The previous one: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?52669-Newb-Noob-ride-Saturday-5-31

If so, I can lead on 8/23, 9/14 or 9/28.

Drama2
Thu Jul 31st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Sure....

JimDog
Thu Jul 31st, 2014, 08:11 PM
I could be in if it's 8/23 :up:

Nolan
Thu Jul 31st, 2014, 09:56 PM
I might try and shove my better half onto these.... Those are all the weekends I have my son. I'll see if I can get her comfy with the double nickel beforehand.

Generic
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 09:08 AM
Cat and I could tag along on the 23rd

Nguyen
Sun Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:06 PM
Just so you know, 36 from Lyons to Estes Park there is about a 1/2 mile of rough dirt road. It's not too bad, but hopefully it'll be paved by 8/23.
If not then going thru Hwy 7 to Estes is just as good. I'll try to make this ride.

DriverDave
Sun Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:24 PM
Just so you know, 7 is and always been the best motorcycle route from Lyons to Estes Park, so I wouldn't worry about 36 :)

Slo
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Just so you know, 7 is and always been the best motorcycle route from Lyons to Estes Park, so I wouldn't worry about 36 :)

This..... Just went up yesterday, however, was flooded with bicyclists, didn't know there was a race going on. Out of a few hours, got mayb 10 minutes or so of decent riding in. Either traffic from bicyclists, or there chase vehicles, or a cruiser doing 30 the entire way holding up massive traffic.

rush4theyeho
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I rode P2P this weekend, and while everything is alright up to 7, 7 is nearly unrideable. Tons of traffic and the roads are extremely bumpy in a lot of the area where there's new road.

*Another note on the traffic - going up is an exercise in pure frustration. Pretty much a never ending stream of cages. Coming back down is only marginally better.

Nguyen
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Yea there was a warning sign about a bicycle race on Sunday, wish I could've posted that sooner. I went on Saturday afternoon from Boulder to Estes and back, and the roads were pretty clear, no bicyclists at all. Weird, I guess they all were preparing for the Sunday ride lol.

Spooph
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 02:33 PM
good info folks! That's 2 votes for the 23rd... shall we nail it down?

Sully
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 03:09 PM

ahem.. it was before the floods... now it's sadness :cry:

DriverDave
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
It's not that bad...I just rode it a couple weeks ago. Yes there are a few corners that were fixed and repaved in a hurry and therefor not as good, but overall, it's still a good road.

Nguyen
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Hwy 7 is actually good now, should be a good ride if there's no bicycle race going on :)
8/23 works for me.

JAY_EX300
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM
If I'm not working I'm in for the 23rd. I'll know for sure as it gets closer.

Spooph
Fri Aug 15th, 2014, 11:31 AM
So, things changed a bit... In the mean time I've moved up to Longmont for a few months... I would like to be able to go back to Longmont when we get back to Boulder. Anybody have a problem with this?

Nguyen
Fri Aug 15th, 2014, 12:00 PM
It'll be ok. I'll be going back to Westminster from Boulder.

JimDog
Fri Aug 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Same start location? Just end in Boulder? That's fine with me.

UHATEIT
Mon Aug 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Is this still happening. I am free saturday the 23rd if it is still that date and would like to ride. What is the KSU and official meeting spot

Spooph
Mon Aug 18th, 2014, 04:14 PM
mmkay.... Ride is official.

map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zRp3DF2phoQs.klR_2rDdfVV8

Meet at the Quaker Steak and Lube on 104th/Church Ranch Blvd and Hwy 36.

KSU @ 8:45, safety briefing at 8:30, I'll be there at 8:00.

Slo
Tue Aug 19th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I should be in for this

justinyzfr6
Tue Aug 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Are you limiting the number of riders that can go on this ride?

Spooph
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
@justinyzfr6 - no limit. If we have to we'll split up the group with the people that show up... I have a back-up leader coming too, and since we'll be going nice and slow shouldn't be an issue...

Also folks, just checked the weather for the route, there is a huge change of rain, so bring your rain gear.. This is Colorado, and if you haven't ridden in the rain, you will, so come prepared with warmer layers and appropriate rain gear - maybe rainx your shield and anti-fog "cat crap" type stuff... If you have not the anti-fogging, you can have some of mine...

Warm gloves in a tank bag is not a bad idea either...

A reminder to all who will be attending... This is a legit newb ride, not Vellos type newb stuff... We will not be going more than 5mph over the limit, slow at intersections and such forth.... If you think this is too slow for you, it probably is... If you think you're the person always slowing down the group, or people are waiting on you, this is the PERFECT ride for you....

With that said, everybody of all skill levels are welcome to come, but I know what it's like to get frustrated on a group ride going to slow and want everybody to understand what's expected....

Otherwise I'll be there around 8am tomorrow morning if you want to shoot the shit before the ride...

Clovis
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Hope the rain isn't too bad. Basically forecasted for cloudy in the morning and lots of rain (including "heavy rain") in the afternoon.

Route suggestion: Why not take 7 from Lyons to Peak to Peak instead of going through Estes Park? Aren't they still doing construction on 34/36 to Estes Park? I was in Lyons on Monday and took 7 to Peak to Peak and they had signs advising not to go to Estes from Lyons due to road work.

JimDog
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 04:14 PM
I'm going to wake up early and check the forecast (I don't trust the forecast in Colorado more than a day out haa haa)...but if there is call for heavy rain, I'm probably going to skip. Whether I go or not, have a fun and safe ride!

UHATEIT
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
I am the same. I would like to attend this, my cell phone isnt showing rain up there however. I will see what the forecast says in the morning and if there is rain I too am out but if no rain I am all over it, as long as I can get out of bed and be out the door that direction by 8am. If the rain is later in the day, I will likelt follow up to Lyons or Nederland then head back myself

Nguyen
Fri Aug 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
The weather should be pretty good tomorrow; low chance of rain and still 60F+ in Estes by noon. And it gets warmer in Nederland and Boulder after that, according to the 'Internet' anyway LOL. Tomorrow weather looks to be fair, cloudy with a little chance of rain, perfect for a motorcycle ride :)

JimDog
Sat Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:42 PM
Another great CSC ride! Thanks for putting this together!

Nguyen
Sun Aug 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Awesome ride! Nice to see more riders show up on this one. Weather was near perfect, too.