PDA

View Full Version : Bike Overheating

Drama2
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 05:56 PM
So here is my situation and not sure if they are connected since my low spread accident or perfect timing. My GSXR keeps over heating since the accident, Jim has burped the coolant the radiator cap looks good but she keeps getting hot. Highest temp was 244 and just after a 6 mile ride down I70 she got up to 238. So some or anything would help to figure this out.

madvlad
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM
Are the fans kicking on? Maybe the thermostat is not opening up. Was it slow traffic or highway speeds?

Native
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM
get a BLUE rad cap from ebay and a USED waterpump, add some gigantic cooling fans and wire them to run at all times, either that or snug down the hose clamps

Drama2
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 06:48 PM
The fan kicks on at 219...I was freeway high speed going about 75 at which the temp doesnt go below 200, but once in town she rises quickly above 225 fast.

Hi11Zone
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 06:53 PM
The fan kicks on at 219...I was freeway high speed going about 75 at which the temp doesnt go below 200, but once in town she rises quickly above 225 fast.
ya my fan kicks on around 220 as well. Mine is usually, always around 170-190 which seems warm , but that's only in town when I get on highway or canyon riding It drops to 160-170

madvlad
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
My K7 always ran in between 221 and 228 in the city, few times in between in heavy traffic she'd get up to 231 but drop down rather quickly. Sounds to me like the thermostat but that's just me. Her bike seems to new to have a water pump failure imo but well never know. Look on the gixxer forums and see if there's common issues for those symptoms

Ezzzzy1
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 07:19 PM
It could very well be the pump. Any white smoke from the exhaust?

Native
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM
bike is done for, I'll give you $1200 for it no more <== sarcasm

Drama2
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM
Haha your funny...no way....I will ride her until she is silent like a burnt out hooker....ok which she is doing right now, except for the exhaust.
Thanks everyone...no white smoke, so must be radiator cap or thermostat. ...no one told me when I bought a bike I had to learn how to fix them....damn it.

madvlad
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 08:24 PM
Start with the radiator cap and move on to the rest. Could be something as simple as that.

FZRguy
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 10:41 PM
Could the sending unit or rad been damaged in your mishap?

Aaron
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 10:51 PM
get a BLUE rad cap from ebay and a USED waterpump, add some gigantic cooling fans and wire them to run at all times, either that or snug down the hose clamps
Don't do any of these. Your radiator cap is fine. If your water pump isn't leaking, it's fine. The stock coolant fans are more than adequate. And if the hoses aren't leaking, they're fine.

Id is say it's likely your sending unit, which could have easily been damaged in the accident. It could be a t-stat, although those are designed to fail open they can still fail closed.

rybo
Fri Aug 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM
I had this problem on the Aprilia and it was the sensor that was bad and sending bad info to the ECU / Dash.

That at being said, apply Occam's razor. Replace the radiator cap first, it's the simplest and most likely cause.

Whlie you're doing that drain / refill and bleed the cooling system.

Check the radiator and make sure there aren't a bunch of bugs or other road grime plugging it up and preventing adequate airflow.

Thats where I would start.

milehizx6r
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 05:42 AM
If the radiator cap isn't holding pressure it would be leaking out the overflow tank. If it's running hot 215 or higher on highway, you have an airflow problem or a flow problem. I would take the cap off and let it idle, when the temp get to around 150 to 170 you should notice coolant flowing through the radiator. Look inside from cap area and see. If you notice good flow, tstat and water pump are ok. Let me know.

Native
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
better run right out and replace this sending unit RIGHT, so all the sensors are damaged from this crash or just this one?

Don't do any of these. Your radiator cap is fine. If your water pump isn't leaking, it's fine. The stock coolant fans are more than adequate. And if the hoses aren't leaking, they're fine.

Id is say it's likely your sending unit, which could have easily been damaged in the accident. It could be a t-stat, although those are designed to fail open they can still fail closed.

Drama2
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:18 AM
Ok....feeling overwhelmed. ..mechanic clothes on and headed to take her apart. :(

Drama2
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
New radiator cap with increase 1.4 bar check, flushed and bled coolent and burnt the fuck out of boyfriends hands check. Now hand feeding him since I spewed hot radiator fluid all over him.

madvlad
Sat Aug 2nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
Ouch, hope it's nothing serious and that it fixed the issue

Slo
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 09:05 AM
New radiator cap with increase 1.4 bar check, flushed and bled coolent and burnt the fuck out of boyfriends hands check. Now hand feeding him since I spewed hot radiator fluid all over him.

Damn..... ouch Pat!!

Generic
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Ouch, sorry Pat!

I had this same issue after rebuilding my Z750, it was the sending unit, I discovered this after replacing everything else.

Native
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 08:22 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mpo/4610663973.html

Drama2
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks Native....I have a 2009...have to see if it will work.