PDA

View Full Version : The MOST fund...What should we do with it

bornwildnfree
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 01:06 PM
So, I was just appointed to the CDOT Motorcycle Operator Safety Advisory Board as the member who represents the motorcycle community as a whole. This is what I get for showing up to things lol. That being said, I need to know what you folks think the MOST fund should be used for.

The MOST program is paid for by Colorado M endorsments on licenses and a small fee per motorcycle/scooter registration and earns about $800,000/year in revenue. The program promotes motorcycle safety awareness, does studies on all motorcycle accidents in Colorado, and provides vendors who provide motorcycle training a rebate per student who takes a safety class. The rebates for 2013 were as follows: $70.00 for each student in the Basic Rider Course, $50.00 for each student in the BRC 2 Course, $200.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Preparation Course and $50.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Instructor updates. 15% of the fund is kept for administration costs, 20% is held back for if a new vendor joins the MOST program or if a vendor has more training than projected, 10% is used for the motorcycle safety campaign (ie the CDOT signs and the safety billboards) and the rest is supposed to be used to give Colorado residents a break on tuition. It is the tuition that is the most controversial.

So, what say you all? How should the money be used?

#1Townie
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Strippers and coke?? Lol

But no really. It would be nice to see our troops that enjoy to ride see some of that. Not sure what all they get now for benefits when it comes to riders training classes. I know they have to have it to ride on post or something like that. But it has always saddened me to see a soldier make it back from war without a scratch to crash and either get really jacked up or even killed.

Also promoting more to the look twice save a life kind of adds.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

big_sur
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 01:32 PM
So 55% is going to training, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time, it's also probably a huge subsidy to the training operators. How are they regulated? Do they disclose financials?

madvlad
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Off topic but motorcycle sensitive light sensors lol sick and tired of sitting there for an hr

Matrix
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I don't have the answer as to how, but their needs to be more advanced training. Something that a proficient street rider would not be embarrassed to take every year.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM
These are the updated rules that went into effect as of July 1, 2013 - https://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=5547

The tuition reimbursement is now $35 per student for the BRC, not $70. The tuition reimbursement for all other classes has been eliminated. When CDOT releases the 2014 MOST Annual Report for the fiscal year ending June 30,2014, it will undoubtedly show the percentage going to training as much less than the 55% reported in previous years.

Generic
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Studies are being done of the accidents, but where are those results published? I'd like to see an open data set of the information for other researchers to use an analyze.

Also, I'd like to see study on the affects of possible lane splitting in Colorado or at least the major metro areas. Colorado population is expected to grow 20% by 2020 and I don't think the roadways will be keeping up.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I don't have the answer as to how, but their needs to be more advanced training. Something that a proficient street rider would not be embarrassed to take every year.

Joe, This course is the closest they have - http://www.msf-campus.org/AdvancedRiderCourse.aspx I doubt you would gain anything from the riding portion but I think you would benefit from the classroom exercises.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Studies are being done of the accidents, but where are those results published? I'd like to see an open data set of the information for other researchers to use an analyze.

Also, I'd like to see study on the affects of possible lane splitting in Colorado or at least the major metro areas. Colorado population is expected to grow 20% by 2020 and I don't think the roadways will be keeping up.

You can find this information in the MOST Annual Report - http://www.coloradodot.info/library/AnnualReports/2013-most-annual-report/at_download/file

Generic
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:15 PM
You can find this information in the MOST Annual Report - http://www.coloradodot.info/library/AnnualReports/2013-most-annual-report/at_download/file

Thank you, easy answer for that first one. I'd love to get the actual data set as well though if that's possible in the future.

Generic
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Here's why I want the raw data.
The report says:

Motorcyclist fatalities represented 17% of Colorado’s total traffic fatalities (79 of 472)
Motorcyclist fatalities increased by one from 2011 (78 fatalities), but are 20% lower than the record high of 98 fatalities in 2008
The slight increase in motorcyclist deaths corresponds with trends in overall traffic fatalities, which increased by 4% in 2012

Here's what the data shows:

Deaths by % of registrations

Overall deaths are on a downward trend based on the number of motorcycle registrations which I'm assuming is corollary to riders on the road.

big_sur
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM
+1 for open data

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Contact Glenn Davis - http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/safety-data-sources-information

bornwildnfree
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Jim for the information!

teamextreme
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I would vote for continued/increased subsidies for the training programs, particularly more for advanced classes.

TFOGGuys
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Driver awareness of bikes and distracted driver prevention. I have some idiot try to change lanes into me at least once a week, because they are too lazy/distracted/apathetic to bother looking out their side window in addition to checking their mirror. I wear a jacket and helmet that Stevie Wonder could see from orbit, and have an HID headlight that can roast a chicken at 50 paces, so visibility probably isn't the issue. I don't cruise in people's blind spots, I'm usually right alongside the driver's window when they start moving over...

gator4life108
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Strippers and coke?? Lol

But no really. It would be nice to see our troops that enjoy to ride see some of that. Not sure what all they get now for benefits when it comes to riders training classes. I know they have to have it to ride on post or something like that. But it has always saddened me to see a soldier make it back from war without a scratch to crash and either get really jacked up or even killed.

Also promoting more to the look twice save a life kind of adds.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Most Air Force bases like Buckley reimburse us for the BRC course and now the ARC course. You have to complete the BRC course in order to ride on base and the ARC is required after a few years. Money is paid from the government and most companies like ABATE offer a discount to military.

I strongly think a helmet law should be enacted. When compared to states with the same amount of riders Colorado has more fatalities, mostly due to lack of head protection.

FZRguy
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Are distributions from the Fund for street purposes only, or are dirt riders included? COHVCO does excellent work and they are in dire need of funding.

http://cohvco.org/

Matrix
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM
No amount of awareness is going to fix stupid. Outside of years of experience, the riders best defense is training on how to avoid these crazies. Joe L. gave a link above that is really good for advanced training but I still think there is more to be done there.

Driver awareness of bikes and distracted driver prevention. I have some idiot try to change lanes into me at least once a week, because they are too lazy/distracted/apathetic to bother looking out their side window in addition to checking their mirror. I wear a jacket and helmet that Stevie Wonder could see from orbit, and have an HID headlight that can roast a chicken at 50 paces, so visibility probably isn't the issue. I don't cruise in people's blind spots, I'm usually right alongside the driver's window when they start moving over...

Nolan
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 06:54 PM
A Canyon sweeper program to clean up after storms and to clean up problem areas during the riding "season."

Or something... Definitely more ads for drivers, though driving a semi around I still get squeezed on three sides by mommy wagons and phone jockeys.

BikesRider777
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I would definitely agree with the canyon sweeper idea. I've already heard stories from 3 people this year that have crashed due to sand/crap on the road.

Not sure if they'd go for it though, Golden Gate has all this new gravel they put down recently and it's almost like they intended it to make its way out into the corners (obviously, so the motorcycles wouldn't want to ride there as much).

FZRguy
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I rode Golden Gate today, it's fine and easy to see what little gravel is still on the road.

BikesRider777
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Sure would be nicer if they swept it though...

#1Townie
Mon Aug 4th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I would definitely agree with the canyon sweeper idea. I've already heard stories from 3 people this year that have crashed due to sand/crap on the road.

Not sure if they'd go for it though, Golden Gate has all this new gravel they put down recently and it's almost like they intended it to make its way out into the corners (obviously, so the motorcycles wouldn't want to ride there as much).

You do understand that to keep the sand off the road there would have to be sweeper on those roads at all times.. Right?

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Use the money to get the ball rolling on banning non-hands free cell phone call while driving! Many other states have done it and we should follow suite with all the motorcycles we have here.

If that is not possible I guess more awareness on the dangers of talking on a cell phone and driving.

That is always my biggest issue with people....I think someone is drunk, but catch up and see they are 99% into their phone conversation and 1% on autopilot driving!

bornwildnfree
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM
When I become a millionaire, Golden Gate will always be swept so my ride down in the morning will be gravel free. The money can't be used for road improvement or street sweeping. It can be used for educational classes, motorcycle awareness campaigns and refunds for students to take classes.

@FZRGuy, I will ask about using the funds for dirt as well.

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Contact Glenn Davis - http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/safety-data-sources-information

I emailed Glenn yesterday and we are working to determine what data is available and how I can get it. Thank you!

Nolan
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Oh well.

How about a study on how to get a drivers attention when they are playing with their phone so you can get them to be aware? Kicking the door seems to be a 50/50 solution and usually after the fact. A campaign to get people to take the class (even if they never ride, just to understand the concept).

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Use the money to get the ball rolling on banning non-hands free cell phone call while driving! Many other states have done it and we should follow suite with all the motorcycles we have here.

If that is not possible I guess more awareness on the dangers of talking on a cell phone and driving.

That is always my biggest issue with people....I think someone is drunk, but catch up and see they are 99% into their phone conversation and 1% on autopilot driving!

Actually, please don't do this! Studies have shown there is no real difference between talking while holding the phone or hands free, it would be a waste of the funds to initiate such a law. Distracted Driving is already against the law and if anything happens they can be charged under that.

TFOGGuys
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Off the top of my head: A campaign to encourage riders to get their endorsements, a campaign to encourage use of protective gear (especially young sport bike riders), alcohol awareness for riders.

tecknojoe
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
spend some on motorcycle awareness. example: the highway signs that sometimes say "stay alert for bikers" when there's no traffic to report. Things like that

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Actually, please don't do this! Studies have shown there is no real difference between talking while holding the phone or hands free, it would be a waste of the funds to initiate such a law. Distracted Driving is already against the law and if anything happens they can be charged under that. Did this study take into account driving with one hand is as effective as with two hands.....because I was taught 10 and 2 o'clock on steering wheel.....impossible to do with one arm :lol: Pretty common sense man!

What about people with manual transmissions that have to shift....again that one hand driving must be epic skills!!!

I stand with what I said and want this done!

UglyDogRacing
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM
spend some on motorcycle awareness. example: the highway signs that sometimes say "stay alert for bikers" when there's no traffic to report. Things like that

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride

They have greatly stepped up the campaign since last year including commercials, billboards, etc

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Did this study take into account driving with one hand is as effective as with two hands.....because I was taught 10 and 2 o'clock on steering wheel.....impossible to do with one arm :lol: Pretty common sense man!

What about people with manual transmissions that have to shift....again that one hand driving must be epic skills!!!

I stand with what I said and want this done!

Yes, they did, summary conclusion on page 62 - http://www.distraction.gov/download/811757.pdf

The results from this study present a clear
finding: VM subtasks performed on HH cell phones
degrade driver performance and increase SCE ris
The results from this study present a clear finding: VM (visual-manual) subtasks performed on HH (hands free) cell phones
degrade driver performance and increase SCE (safety critical event) risk.

I stand by my statement, that it has been studied and I'd hate to see funds wasted on enacting useless legislation when pre-existing laws can be enforced.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Yes, they did, summary conclusion on page 62 - http://www.distraction.gov/download/811757.pdf

The results from this study present a clear
finding: VM subtasks performed on HH cell phones
degrade driver performance and increase SCE ris
The results from this study present a clear finding: VM (visual-manual) subtasks performed on HH (hands free) cell phones
degrade driver performance and increase SCE (safety critical event) risk.

I stand by my statement, that it has been studied and I'd hate to see funds wasted on enacting useless legislation when pre-existing laws can be enforced.

DISCLAIMER (from your article): The opinions, findings, and conclusions expressed
in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the
Department of Transportation or the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration.

Ok, buddy...one handed driving is a safe as two handed:

http://ronrosstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Common-Sense.jpg

Skitz
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Off topic but motorcycle sensitive light sensors lol sick and tired of sitting there for an hr

I always have my camera on me, I just always record a couple minutes of me sitting there before I decide to blow the light. Or turn right.. and pop that U.

birchyboy
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:13 AM
How something like a rebate for buying a new SNELL/DOT approved helmet and turning in one that has reached its max life or isn't approved?

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM
DISCLAIMER (from your article): The opinions, findings, and conclusions expressed
in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the
Department of Transportation or the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration.

Ok, buddy...one handed driving is a safe as two handed:

I'm not being snarky and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be either. Look, I understand that it seems logical that something in your hand is more distracting than just talking to the air. However the studies show it isn't the item in the hand that is the distraction, it's the actual converstation. Myth Busters has covered it if you want the entertaining version. Here is yet another study that has the same information: http://www.nsc.org/Pages/Hands-FreePhonesNoSaferThanHandheldPhones.aspx

My point is that again, the legislation would be costly and simply not the most effective use of limited funds. Enforcing existing laws tends to be more effective that writing new ones. I'd much rather see it put into something else like education as others have mentioned or gathering data on lane-splitting as a possible safer way to ease congestion.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not being snarky and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be either. Look, I understand that it seems logical that something in your hand is more distracting than just talking to the air. However the studies show it isn't the item in the hand that is the distraction, it's the actual converstation. Myth Busters has covered it if you want the entertaining version. Here is yet another study that has the same information: http://www.nsc.org/Pages/Hands-FreePhonesNoSaferThanHandheldPhones.aspx

My point is that again, the legislation would be costly and simply not the most effective use of limited funds. Enforcing existing laws tends to be more effective that writing new ones. I'd much rather see it put into something else like education as others have mentioned or gathering data on lane-splitting as a possible safer way to ease congestion. Look, the point of this thread was to give ideas bornwildnfree. I don't think this was about shooting down people's ideas unless somehow you are bornwildnfree! So maybe go spend that energy on YOUR suggestions instead of criticizing others!

I've tried driving my manual transmission with one hand and I can tell you it is not easy; one hand has to shift while steering wheel is not manned. Again, common sense to me...I don't believe everything I read online though.

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Look, the point of this thread was to give ideas bornwildnfree. I don't think this was about shooting down people's ideas unless somehow you are bornwildnfree! So maybe go spend that energy on YOUR suggestions instead of criticizing others!

I've tried driving my manual transmission with one hand and I can tell you it is not easy; one hand has to shift while steering wheel is not manned. Again, common sense to me...I don't believe everything I read online though.

I'm not trying to shoot down ideas, I'm trying to provide well thought out information as to where those funds should go to benefit us most. If you have empirical data such as I've been linking to that shows this would be a good use of said funds, feel free to share.

As for "I don't believe everything I read online" this isn't me making up or using anecdotal evidence. These are well funded, well controlled studies with clear sources for their data and conclusions. This is exactly the type of thing you should believe on the internet.

I just want to re-inforce, this isn't a personal attack against you or your ideas. I just happen to be familiar with these studies and information and I'm trying to relate that.

Generic
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:49 AM
At any rate, I'll stop now.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I'm not trying to shoot down ideas, I'm trying to provide well thought out information as to where those funds should go to benefit us most. If you have empirical data such as I've been linking to that shows this would be a good use of said funds, feel free to share.

As for "I don't believe everything I read online" this isn't me making up or using anecdotal evidence. These are well funded, well controlled studies with clear sources for their data and conclusions. This is exactly the type of thing you should believe on the internet.

I just want to re-inforce, this isn't a personal attack against you or your ideas. I just happen to be familiar with these studies and information and I'm trying to relate that. My education comes from 17+ years of riding sportbikes....not some lame studies. When I see people year and year again on cell phones nearly killing me because they are not paying attention then yes I find it a problem! Sure I'd like all cell phones banned while driving, but let's face it that is not going to happen so this was the best I came up with.

Not sure how long you have been riding, but seeing as you joined a year ago makes me wonder if you are paying attention more to studies than what you experience on the road :dunno:

P.S. I personal train people like you all the time that come in with articles they read on how the best way is to get in shape. They find out quick that reading studies is not the same as getting in their and experiencing it. Same as with sportbikes...someone can read articles all day, but it is the experience that really matters

birchyboy
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
It sure would be nice to have one thread with a potentially positive outcome for the motorcycle community not turn into a pissing contest.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 11:17 AM
It sure would be nice to have one thread with a potentially positive outcome for the motorcycle community not turn into a pissing contest. I apologize if this was meant for me. Again I made a suggestion to try to help and then got criticized for it and didn’t appreciate being told my idea was not good when I believe in it

birchyboy
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I apologize if this was meant for me. Again I made a suggestion to try to help and then got criticized for it and didn’t appreciate being told my idea was not good when I believe in it

Not at you in particular.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Well to keep it positive and ideas rolling in, maybe since my issue is with people not paying attention, money could be spent educating the community on why loud exhausts are about more than just a cool sound and why we need these. I’ve actually been pulled over and a cop let me go because he asked me why I had that pipe and I explained it was because people didn’t see me and this is the only way. Or maybe to get the Denver exhaust ban lifted.

Hard one since it is about noise pollution, but I personally have nearly been hit by over 5 cars that just come into my lane and then swerve back and say sorry that they didn’t see me. After getting that loud arse Yoshi exhaust it never happened again and I felt safer.

Not sure if this was one set up, but similar to this:
http://www.tiptopsigns.com/images/D/FUN_loudpipes.jpg

EDIT: Seems like it is a campaign.....maybe we could join them...just shooting out ideas https://www.facebook.com/LoudPipes2014

big_sur
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I apologize if this was meant for me. Again I made a suggestion to try to help and then got criticized for it and didn’t appreciate being told my idea was not good when I believe in it

He's not criticizing you, he's trying to relate new information, which while not intuitive, is backed by a scientific study. Ignore and ignorance are formed from the same root for a reason.

Well to keep it positive and ideas rolling in, maybe since my issue is with people not paying attention, money could be spent educating the community on why loud exhausts are about more than just a cool sound and why we need these. I’ve actually been pulled over and a cop let me go because he asked me why I had that pipe and I explained it was because people didn’t see me and this is the only way. Or maybe to get the Denver exhaust ban lifted.

Hard one since it is about noise pollution, but I personally have nearly been hit by over 5 cars that just come into my lane and then swerve back and say sorry that they didn’t see me. After getting that loud arse Yoshi exhaust it never happened again and I felt safer.

Read this: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements/excessivemotorcyclesound.aspx

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
He's not criticizing you, he's trying to relate new information, which while not intuitive, is backed by a scientific study. Ignore and ignorance are formed from the same root for a reason.

Read this: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements/excessivemotorcyclesound.aspx :slap: See post #43

Brainstorm - Brainstorming is a group or individual creativity technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_technique) by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its member(s).

big_sur
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Well, despite the current trend in our schools to praise all children for anything, not all ideas are good ideas. That's why people debate, criticize, and discuss them. Good ideas come to the top through open discussion and bad ideas are discarded. Part of that process is not attaching yourself to ideas, assimilating new information, and judging actions on the basis of merit.

In any event, how about subsidizing track days like the State Patrol does with Bandimere? Like a "Take it to the track" promotional day out at HPR. Gets some unsafe riding out of the canyons, introduces more people to the track, promotes riding fast in a safe environment, etc...

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Well, despite the current trend in our schools to praise all children for anything, not all ideas are good ideas. That's why people debate, criticize, and discuss them. Good ideas come to the top through open discussion and bad ideas are discarded. Part of that process is not attaching yourself to ideas, assimilating new information, and judging actions on the basis of merit.

In any event, how about subsidizing track days like the State Patrol does with Bandimere? Like a "Take it to the track" promotional day out at HPR. Gets some unsafe riding out of the canyons, introduces more people to the track, promotes riding fast in a safe environment, etc... Yet here is the law passed in many states....maybe you should go argue with legislation then......

Not even going to argue with you...I will just put this link so you can see how many states have passed this and disagreed with you! Come on Colorado next!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_cell_phone_use_while_driving_in_th e_United_States

No state bans all cell phone use for all drivers. However, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Washington, West Virginia (plusWashington, D.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.), Puerto Rico (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico), Guam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam) and the U.S. Virgin Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Virgin_Islands)) prohibit all drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving. 36 states and Washington, D.C. ban all cell phone use by newer drivers; while 19 states and Washington, D.C. prohibit any cell phone use by school bus drivers while children are present.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_cell_phone_use_while_driving_in_th e_United_States#cite_note-Governors-2)

UglyDogRacing
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 01:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a0xJKJR.png

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Again man...not sure why people have to criticize people's ideas when they are just trying to help....

Can we just now leave this to bornwildnfree please.....if she wants opinions I am sure she will ask for them.

I really apologize bornwildnfree as I know this is a good thing you are doing. I hope you see I was just trying help but got caught up defending myself. This is why this club is just not like it used to be....so sad

I'll stay out now :D

#1Townie
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 02:29 PM
My turn. Now this is coming from from a professional driver stance. It doesn't really matter what distraction it is distracted driving is all the same. It can even be what's playing on the radio.

While some people feel its safer to talk on a Bluetooth it can and has been proven to be just as distraction as hand held. Period. No its and or buts.

Now being that there is already a law on the books about hands free devices I see no point in arguing for more. There is no point. But Nate if you want to argue the point of being able to drive with one hand or two I will counter with this. And before we really get into it I drive a ten speed. I shift.... All the fucking time. Not like a car where you shift from time to time.

Driving with one hand is just as effective as two. While yes you are instructed to hold at ten and two you just can't maintain that position for long periods of time. But this is a really mediocre conversation. If you want to really talk distracted driving some of the most common and untalked about distractions is passengers. Passengers are very distractive. When you carry a conversation with a person you typically look at them. Taking focus off the road. Taking focus off mirror checks. Taking focus off the cars around you. But that's a whole other conversation to be had.

Guess I will end this with if the current laws aren't going to be enforced why bother wasting money on more? Even cops still drive with a cell in their hand. Waste of time and money.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 02:41 PM
My turn. Now this is coming from from a professional driver stance. It doesn't really matter what distraction it is distracted driving is all the same. It can even be what's playing on the radio.

While some people feel its safer to talk on a Bluetooth it can and has been proven to be just as distraction as hand held. Period. No its and or buts.

Now being that there is already a law on the books about hands free devices I see no point in arguing for more. There is no point. But Nate if you want to argue the point of being able to drive with one hand or two I will counter with this. And before we really get into it I drive a ten speed. I shift.... All the fucking time. Not like a car where you shift from time to time.

Driving with one hand is just as effective as two. While yes you are instructed to hold at ten and two you just can't maintain that position for long periods of time. But this is a really mediocre conversation. If you want to really talk distracted driving some of the most common and untalked about distractions is passengers. Passengers are very distractive. When you carry a conversation with a person you typically look at them. Taking focus off the road. Taking focus off mirror checks. Taking focus off the cars around you. But that's a whole other conversation to be had.

Guess I will end this with if the current laws aren't going to be enforced why bother wasting money on more? Even cops still drive with a cell in their hand. Waste of time and money.
We don't have that law in CO Townie....only for texting!

Not sure in Nevada, but my family lives in NM, and they enforce that law hardcore! Even for out-of-towners.

We should race the exact same WRX with a manual transmission. You with one hand and me with both and see who wins....oh yeah on turns!

Ok, ok...now I am out. :lol:

#1Townie
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 03:19 PM
We don't have that law in CO Townie....only for texting!

Not sure in Nevada, but my family lives in NM, and they enforce that law hardcore! Even for out-of-towners.

We should race the exact same WRX with a manual transmission. You with one hand and me with both and see who wins....oh yeah on turns!

Ok, ok...now I am out. :lol:

Meh... Wrxs are slow.

bulldog
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Meh... Wrxs are slow. I mean they are slow compared to bikes, but I would think compared to most average cars they are fast. Same engine/turbo as STI with a 5 speed so it is actually faster than a STI in a 1/4 mile. 265HP to 305HP (depending if I change my map to get that higher HP) with a curb weight of 3200lbs

I am sure you got that I only meant shifting around turns would be harder with one hand....

It would be interesting to see how it does against your BMW 535. Not saying a WRX would win, but I'd think it would be pretty close. It is a 2014...came with catback and short shifter.

PunyJuney
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I would like to see the training dollars earmarked for education to continue to be used in education. I don't know how many people (non-riders) have said "what does look twice save a life really mean?"
I would like it to be part of getting a drivers license in Colorado. Not an M class but the cager kind.
I would like a second question on the written exam to include what the apex of a corner is and how much room a motorcycle needs at speed to get around a corner that includes a double yellow descending radius turn. I can assure you that the driver that killed Greg (a 40 year old very experienced rider) on Squaw Pass while passing a bicycle on a double yellow did not expect a motorcycle to actually occupy his rightful place in the lane. Instead the car passed the bicycle (obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers) in spite of the motorcycle rider that was obeying all traffic laws and simply riding in his designated lane. I personally have almost been hit countless times since the new bicycle law went in to practice. There have also been numerous fatalities with cars turning left into oncoming bikes that are just going straight through a green light.

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE is a catchy bumper sticker, but if you don't ride it really does not resonate. If there's noting riding on in it (like a pass/fail on your drivers license test) then people simply don't pay attention to the facts, the requirements or what is actually at stake...which is our lives.

Christi, I cross posted this on the other forums I ride with and will send you any useful feedback as soon as I see any.
Good luck and thank you for your continued service to the motorcycle community.

Nolan
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I would like to see the training dollars earmarked for education to continue to be used in education. I don't know how many people (non-riders) have said "what does look twice save a life really mean?"
I would like it to be part of getting a drivers license in Colorado. Not an M class but the cager kind.
I would like a second question on the written exam to include what the apex of a corner is and how much room a motorcycle needs at speed to get around a corner that includes a double yellow descending radius turn. I can assure you that the driver that killed Greg (a 40 year old very experienced rider) on Squaw Pass while passing a bicycle on a double yellow did not expect a motorcycle to actually occupy his rightful place in the lane. Instead the car passed the bicycle (obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers) in spite of the motorcycle rider that was obeying all traffic laws and simply riding in his designated lane. I personally have almost been hit countless times since the new bicycle law went in to practice. There have also been numerous fatalities with cars turning left into oncoming bikes that are just going straight through a green light.

LOOK TWICE SAVE A LIFE is a catchy bumper sticker, but if you don't ride it really does not resonate. If there's noting riding on in it (like a pass/fail on your drivers license test) then people simply don't pay attention to the facts, the requirements or what is actually at stake...which is our lives.

Christi, I cross posted this on the other forums I ride with and will send you any useful feedback as soon as I see any.
Good luck and thank you for your continued service to the motorcycle community.

ALL OF THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

06xbss
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
obeying the new 3 foot law for the pedal pushers

Don't think the problem is the new law, problem is that cagers have no idea how little three foot is. If the bicycle is along the white line then most cars can give them 3+ feet with just running there driver side tires on the yellow line. They want to give them 10+ feet for some reason and are running their pass. side tires on the yellow line!!!

I know it's a long shot, but I would like to at least see some signs and maybe some education about pedel pushers staying along the white line and cagers giving them no more then 3 feet. Also be nice to see some signs/education/enforcement about passing bicycles on blind corners.

Be nice to see if something could be done about c-dot and county workers covering corners in gravel. It's either deliberate or done out of complete stupidity.

big_sur
Tue Aug 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Be nice to see if something could be done about c-dot and county workers covering corners in gravel. It's either deliberate or done out of complete stupidity.

They have to backfill the edge of the road so it doesn't erode and destroy the road itself. They do typically sweep afterwards, but cars inevitably drop a tire off the side and pull a bunch of gravel onto the road. It's just something they have to do and we have to watch for.

Generic
Wed Aug 6th, 2014, 08:25 AM
ALL OF THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good suggestions. In an ideal world anyone getting a drivers license would have to also ride to know what it's like and so they become aware of motorcycles. Since that isn't going to happen it would be nice to see some more specific education focused on motorcycle and car interactions.

06xbss
Wed Aug 6th, 2014, 08:32 AM
They have to backfill the edge of the road so it doesn't erode and destroy the road itself. They do typically sweep afterwards, but cars inevitably drop a tire off the side and pull a bunch of gravel onto the road. It's just something they have to do and we have to watch for.

I realize that they need to maintain the edge of the road, but there are a lot cleaner/longer lasting solutions then just dumping some road base along the edge.