PDA

View Full Version : Lost my tag

j0ker
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I went to TFOG to get new shoes for the VStar and on the way home my tag must have blown off. This bike is tagged in Kansas and its going to take about 2 weeks to get a replacement. My question is this, how much trouble would I get in if I get pulled over with no tag? I see people in Colorado driving with no tags on their cars daily, is there some law here I do not know about for not having a tag on your vehicle?

Thanks for any understanding you can bring to this situation.

Bueller
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 01:32 PM
You can be stopped and ticketed for no plate.

Generic
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 01:44 PM
also, they'll get annoyed if you have an instate DL and out of state tags or if you've been instate for a while but haven't gotten a license/tags. I'm not sure if that applies at all.

birchyboy
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Isn't state law something like 30 days to get your vehicle registered after moving here?

Edit: 90 days after becoming a resident.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM
You can get a temp Colorado plate if you are going to be switching over to here.

Rabbie303
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I believe a temp tag/plate is about $6.00 for 90 days. That's what I did with my truck when I got it from a private party.

j0ker
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. So, is it just me, or does anyone else see a bunch of vehicles with no tags driving around here?

milehizx6r
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I don't think they will give you a 90 day tag for aNY vehicle unless you just bought it. You can get a 7 day temp if you ask. But all you can do is go to our Lovely, Speedy (ha, ha) DMV and talk to them bout a temp.

FZRguy
Fri Aug 8th, 2014, 11:49 PM
That would be your county tag office, which ain't bad wait-wise compared to a state DMV office.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 03:09 AM
That would be your county tag office, which ain't bad wait-wise compared to a state DMV office.

Fact! I seriously contemplate suicide everytime I need to go to the state office. Then I realize that I could be at the post office and everything is cool! :lol:

j0ker. Its funny you asked because I almost said that I vent seen someone without a tag in a while. Even then I think the last one was an "in transit" deal.

Im surprises that you have seen asana as you have.

longrider
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I think what you are seeing with the "no tags" is the fact paper tags are almost always taped in the rear window now and with the prevalence of tinted windows you cant see the tag. I dont know why the cardboard and plastic tag holders went away (except for motorcycles)

DriverDave
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I take it you've never been to a Denver county office....at least an hour no matter when you go. And I've found some of the suburban DL offices to be almost empty sometimes.

milehizx6r
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Longmont office on south main isn't bad, just get there around 730 am and you should be out within 30 min.

FZRguy
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Taj is usually not bad for Jeffco, or make a ride out of it and head up the canyon to the Evergreen office. Never seen a line there.

Clovis
Sat Aug 9th, 2014, 11:47 PM
My advice is register / transfer title to Colorado.

In the mean time, carry with you: Drivers license, registration, insurance and title (if you own your bike). This way if you get pulled over for no plate you can explain it blew off and document on the spot you are the owner of the bike.

I think you'll be fine. I've ridden my last 3 bikes without a plate during the 60 day grace period between purchasing a vehicle and having to title/register it. I've never been stopped. The closest I've come to being stopped was in Aspen I saw a cop behind me so I pulled over into a lot as if to check my directions and he pulled in behind me and just asked if there was a reason I didn't have a plate. I told him it was a paper temp tag and blew off somewhere in the New Mexican desert (true).

He said okay, cya later and didn't check anything else.

So I think you'll be fine.

j0ker
Sun Aug 10th, 2014, 01:04 AM
My advice is register / transfer title to Colorado.

In the mean time, carry with you: Drivers license, registration, insurance and title (if you own your bike). This way if you get pulled over for no plate you can explain it blew off and document on the spot you are the owner of the bike.

I think you'll be fine. I've ridden my last 3 bikes without a plate during the 60 day grace period between purchasing a vehicle and having to title/register it. I've never been stopped. The closest I've come to being stopped was in Aspen I saw a cop behind me so I pulled over into a lot as if to check my directions and he pulled in behind me and just asked if there was a reason I didn't have a plate. I told him it was a paper temp tag and blew off somewhere in the New Mexican desert (true).

He said okay, cya later and didn't check anything else.

So I think you'll be fine.

Thanks Clovis.

#1Townie
Tue May 19th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Nope