PDA

View Full Version : Blood Letting w/ ~Barn~

~Barn~
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM
So I'm due for another blood donation with Bonfils, and I thought I might try and make a pseudo-event out of this, and invite all the non-pansies out there.

I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment here in the next couple weeks, so if anybody wants to join, let me know.

The two donation centers that I'm kind of fond of, are the Lowry location, and the one out by Jillians. I'm okay with either one, so if anybody does want to go, I'll probably just make a ride out of it. Unless of course the weather is lousy.

Hopefully I don't have to tell you the benefits of giving blood (both to the recipients and the donor, in the case of males), but if you have any questions about it, I imagine I can answer them.

You can post up or PM me if you're interested, and we can coordinate our appointments. :up:

EDIT: I'll also just bump this thread every 52 days (or whatever the waiting time is, between donations), so if you don't go on this one, there will be more occassions.

Project Sh*tbox
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 08:52 PM
HOORAY FOR FREE STD TESTS!

-ASC

~Barn~
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 09:12 PM
:spit:
That is definitely true! If you've F'd up, and done caught something, your blood will be discarded and they will let you know to stop donating.

I'm guessing that they won't tell you why, which would lead me to being seriously freaking nervous, but I guess atleast then you could go to your normal doc, and have them tell you what the story is.

:lol:

Good call, Aaron. :up:

King Nothing
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM
glad I'm a pansy!

Project Sh*tbox
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I think the letter they send you tells you what it's "contaminated" with.

-ASC

Monkey
Sun Nov 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
My doctor told me i'm not allowed to give blood till they fix my heart.. i have an excuse!

ebazyl
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
My doctor told me i'm not allowed to give blood till they fix my heart.. i have an excuse!

Now remember POSSITIVE results are not always good on all tests.

busagirl
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Because of my trip to Tulum earlier this year I cannot donate for one year!! :cry: It sucks because Performance Cycle does a blood drive the 1st thursday of every month and the more you donate the more you get entered into drawing for cool prizes!! :up: Oh well maybe next year sometime after March 2006...!!

ebazyl
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Tulum? ;)

rforsythe
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.differentworld.com/mexico/places/tulum/tulum.htm

~Barn~
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
No problem Ree, another time.

~Barn~
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Over 100 views, and nobody (with the exception of Reean) wants to donate a little time and blood, that might verywell end up saving somebody's life!?

Another motorcyclist, someone's Mom.... Someone's child?!

Wow. I guess I won't even ask if ya'll are organ donors. :lol:

Feathered upstart!
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Its my blood and the only thing I hold on to harder is my money

FZRguy
Mon Nov 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I’m an organ donor but can’t donate blood b/c I don’t weigh enough.

Stuart Little
Tue Nov 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I'm down barn (internets been down), lowry is the one closest to me, and we may have to schedule a weirder time to go with my schedule but give me a call.

Stu

Mel
Tue Nov 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Depending on day and time I would be down with this (has to be a day I am not working, and a time that kiddo wouldn't be with me, which pretty much leaves some evenings or weekend).
And yes, I am an organ donar, and several time recepient of blood and tissue donations :P

~Barn~
Tue Nov 8th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Sounds fine by me. My schedule is rather open, so why don't you and Stu coordinate, and let me know what looks good for the both of you. I'm down for whatever.

*MV* #33
Thu Nov 10th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Because of my trip to Tulum earlier this year I cannot donate for one year!! :cry: ..!!

Ditto. I was there in July. is it one year? or a year and half you half ? When they called me last and asked for a donation. They told me that a visitation to that area requires a 1.5 year wait for donation.

Either way no donation from me.

MV

Mel
Wed Nov 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I am out Barn, no can do. You and stewie make the plans. I will see if I can get Richard to go, but he is a pussy when it comes to needles

~Barn~
Wed Nov 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Well this has been an overwhelming success. :lol:

Stew, if you still wanna go, PM me with the various "weird" times/days that suit your schedule.

I'll make my appointment, based on my complex schedule, and I'll tell you what the details are. You can join if you wanna.

~Barn~
Wed Nov 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I got your PM Stuart, so I called 'em and I'm all scheduled.

It's going to be at the Lowry location, this coming Monday, the 21st.

The appointment is at 1:40, and I told 'em that I may have somebody coming along. They said that you could just walk-in with, or if you wanted to call for the pre-screen you could do that too.

The number is: 303-363-2300.

Stuart Little
Thu Nov 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
What time you wanna go tuesday, I have an appointment from noon-2:30ish at the gym, but I'll go anytime after that...

~Barn~
Thu Nov 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM
See if they are taking donations on Thanksgiving Stuart. I can't give blood that late in the day on Tues. and still go to practice, but we don't have practice on Thursday.

And I'm guessing you still can't do anything Wednesday/Monday, so maybe Thursday is our best bet. :dunno:

Anyway, if they are taking donations sometime Thursday, and you wanna do Thursday, book us. Just tell them that you're rescheduling me. (Brandon Muniz) If they need to give me a call to verify this, they have my number. :up:

Stuart Little
Thu Nov 17th, 2005, 12:24 PM
No donations on thursday, I have a workout and body fat test at noon so I shouldn't be low on blood tuesday, you may be on your own for this round, but by the next time it comes around I will be graduated from college and more than willing to shed some blood

~Barn~
Mon Nov 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
I'm going for a ride. Last minute invite to anybody who wants to join.

Meeting spot is 717 Yosemite St. in Denver.

:D

~Barn~
Fri Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Got anoth'run scheduled. Call and make an appointment if you wanna roll with. :up:

Day: Saturday January 7th
Time: 14:00

This time it's going to be at the Westminster location, at:
960 West 124th Ave
Westminster, CO 80234

If you want more info, click:
http://www.bonfils.org/bonfils.php?section=donor&page=donor&drill=westminster

JOE!!!!!!
Fri Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Last time there was a meeting, and they said there'd be punch and pie, there was only la resistance.

~Barn~
Fri Dec 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
I promise there will be none of that this time. :D

Stuart Little
Fri Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Hey, I'll probably be working that day, and I work on 92nd and sheridan so i'm down, should I call and let them know I'm coming or just show with you?

~Barn~
Fri Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
I've been told in the past that you can just show, but I'd call 'em and at least let'em know.

~Barn~
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:01 PM
This is still on for this coming Saturday.

:bloody bumpity:

~Barn~
Fri Jan 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Okay.... So Bonfils called me today and somehow they managed to schedule me, before I'm actually eligible for a donation. I have to wait X number of days between donations, and this got missed somehow.

Anyway... I've rescheduled for Saturday the 21st of January at 14:00. Not like I'm expecting a huge turnout, but hey.... you never know.

Incidentally, if you were planning on going on the 7th (Stuart), please do still go. Or at the very least, reschedule. Please don't "not go", because of my appointment change.

That is all. :D
-Brandon-

~Barn~
Sat Jan 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Okay... See you all there in an hour!

Oh wait.... No I won't.
:lol:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 30th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Due to overwhelming response and my general desire to eat free snack food and make sure I still haven't contracted anything, Blood Letting w/ ~Barn~ is back for another go-round!

If you haven't tried it yet, I highly suggest it! They basically take your blood and give it to somebody else who could use it. Sweet, huh?

I'm all hooked up for a week from Saturday, on *APRIL 8th!* My appointment is at 12:20, and I'm gonna be riding there. (the Westminster location)

So anyway... if you enjoy soft Mother's cookies, Cheez-It's, or juice boxes, this will be the place to be! Call them and get yo shit booked!

See the top post on this page for the Westy Bonfils info. :yes:

Lee
Thu Mar 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Good post and good idea, Barn. Giving blood is a great community service.

The last 3 times I've tried, I've been rejected. The last time I was rejected because one of my cats had scratched me within the past 6 weeks. (Dang cats! It's a good thing they're so cute.)

For the guys: A little known fact is that some men have a tendency to accumulate too much iron in their bodies. Over a period of years, this can cause organ damage. Giving a pint of blood every now and then is one way for men to lower their serum iron count.

Lee

Keyser Soze
Thu Mar 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
You cant do it if you've had a recent tat...can you?

~Barn~
Thu Mar 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
They ask you, but I don't know how much time has to pass, since it was done. I'm kinda thinking 1 year, but I don't know for sure.

Fly boy
Wed Jul 12th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I can't :( stupid rule about tattoo's and piercings

Flip
Thu Jul 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I can be there. I'm a regular donor. Missed last time at Performance. Can we do it in memory of Gene?

salsashark
Thu Jul 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Doh... 1 week off, I can't bleed for Bonfil's until 8/5

But I like Flip's idea of "Blood Letting For Bazyl"

~Barn~
Thu Jul 13th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I can be there. I'm a regular donor. Missed last time at Performance. Can we do it in memory of Gene?

In memory of Gene... In honor of whoever it's going to help... Whatever you'd like, Flip. That'd be great to see you there.

Sorry we beat you by a week Salsa, how about after you get yours done and wait your 60some-odd days, you pick. I'll be thurr. ;)

towneh
Thu Jul 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I am an automated doner with Bonfils. The process takes about 80 minutes and it is ready for surgical patients immediately.
Haya Henry

~Barn~
Fri Jul 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Don't book your flights just yet folks.... I'm thinking I may have to put this off for a week. Maybe you can join us afterall, Salsa!

~Barn~
Fri Jul 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Okay, so I did have to reschedule, but it just put me out 1 week.

So!.. Here are the new specs.
Saturday August 5th, 2006
The Westminster Bonfils (location info at the top of this page)
1:20 PM

If you're reading this I hope you can make it! Just give them a call, and schedule your appointment. :up:

~Barn~
Tue Jul 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM
So I got a +1

Anybody else?... Plenty of time to sign up. We can go have lunch afterwards, and show people our gauze!

~Barn~
Mon Jul 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Bump it!

This Saturday... Yeah-yeah-yeah...

~Barn~
Thu Oct 5th, 2006, 09:41 PM
This Saturday.
October 7th.
Westminster Bonfils.
09:00

As usual I will expect none of you, hence the 48 hours notice.
:cheers:

~Barn~
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
So is anybody down for this Saturday, or next weekend (the 13th)?

I have the day off on the 15th also, but a teeth cleaning at 11:00, so I'll have to work around that. Anyone?
Bueller?.. Bueller?..

(Not you, David)
(Unless you want to.)

Suki
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
not i, my blood is tainted with evil.

DevilsTonic
Thu Jan 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM
If I tried to donate blood, all they would get is vodka.

~Barn~
Fri May 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Welp... I'm eligible to go again, so I'm gonna do a walk-in over at the Westminster Bonfils, just off of 120th and Huron, on Saturday. If you wanna join me, I'm gonna head over around 12:00.

I'll see ya there! (or maybe not).

~Barn~
Wed Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Back at it again for anybody who wants to come with!
This Saturday at 1:00, at the Westminster Bonfils.
We'll do lunch afterwards. :yumyum:

~Barn~
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah-yeah-yeah. Nobody wants to go, I get it.

But!.... In keeping with my long standing tradition of post-whoring, I'm planning on doing a walk-in this Saturday at the Westminster location. Time is TBD, but I'm guessing it will be sometime around 11:00'ish or so. Lunch is always yummy after a good blood-letting, so if you want to come with, let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, Bonfils current gift du jour is a long sleeve T-shirt.

64BonnieLass
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I might come Barn. I can get a massage, give blood, then have a nice lunch. Very good deal for me. :)

~Barn~
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I might come Barn. I can get a massage, give blood, then have a nice lunch. Very good deal for me. :)

Well if you're pretty serious about it, gimme a call tomorrow and we can talk about a good time to just make an appointment. They never have a problem taking me as a walk-in, and I don't think 2 people would stretch them too much, but an appointment is always nice, too.
:D

64BonnieLass
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Okay, I'll hit you up tomorrow.

motorcycleman
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.differentworld.com/mexico/places/tulum/tulum.htm

I have been there! back in the day...

Shortcake
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I wanna come!!!!! Call me Barn!

Sortarican
Thu Jan 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Can I get a withdrawl?:bat:

~Barn~
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Can I get a withdrawl?:bat:

Probably not, but I'll sneak out an extra bag of White Cheddar Cheez-It's for ya.

Mother Goose
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I gave blood on 6th Ave. :lol:

~Barn~
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I gave blood on 6th Ave. :lol:

I'm taking this to mean like I did, outside Sports Column. I still don't think that counts though.

It doesn't count unless you're given snacks.

Mother Goose
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm talking this to mean like I did, outside Sports Column. I still don't think that counts though.

Damn, I'm out then. :lol:

Jmetz
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Do ice chips count?

~Barn~
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Ugh... ice chips... Talk about teasing a person who desperately just wants a cup of water! :lol:

Judges?? Ice chips?

salsashark
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Ice chips only count if your prego...

gave in Dec, so I'm out... otherwise I'd be down to bleed for Bonfil's

Mother Goose
Fri Jan 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Ugh... ice chips... Talk about teasing a person who desperately just wants a cup of water! :lol:

Judges?? Ice chips?
http://sts.synflood.de/dump/fun/normal_ban_him.jpg

~Barn~
Wed Jun 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Yes-yes.... Once again; you know the routine.

I saw how pumped everybody got the last time there was a need for blood, so this (being my... oh... 9th or 10th) attempt at getting people to go with, has high expectations!

I was thinking not this weekend, but the next. Who's comin' with me?!

Who's Comin' With Me?!....

[/Half Baked]

~Barn~
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So nobody, eh? Nice.

Maybe hopefully soon somebody will die again, and we can all get enthused!
:roll:

suzinpink
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I used to be a surgical procument tech... whick means I was the one who took out the parts for donation..... so don't get me started on doantion.

salsashark
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Had tattoo work... I'm out for the next year or I would be there. I have no problem bleeding for Bonfil's

Come on peeps... it takes like 20 minutes and you get cookies!

Squisha
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I just gave last Monday...so our schedule's pretty close. Maybe we can double up next time! 5-gallon donor right here baby!

~Barn~
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Sounds good Squisha, I'm down! Congrats on your 5-gallons mark, by-the-way. :cheers:

Shortcake
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
When are you thinking of going? I'll probably be in.

~Barn~
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
When are you thinking of going? I'll probably be in.

Just for the sake of flexibility, lemme know what works for you, and I'll accomodate that. There's probably a Bonfils site somewhere between you and me, that we can meet at, so we can split the drive.

And any Saturday (late morning) works good for me. Maybe have lunch or something afterwards. (?)

Shortcake
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Saturday should work. I'll get a hold of you this week.

Sortarican
Mon Jun 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
No can do, my HIV's is acting up.

suzinpink
Tue Jul 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
There is a Bonfils on 70 and denver west... used to give Platelettes there.... Think they do blood drives there also????

~Barn~
Tue Jul 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yup, the Denver West office is still operational.

And Jeanna, just gimme a call, and we'll come up with something between us. If we go to Denver West, we're going to Blackhawk afterwards. :D

Lucky
Thu Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Barn, i would be down to go with you. I have the good blood.... O-

~Barn~
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM
It's that time again!

Planning on donating sometime after 3:00, at the Bonfils down off of Broadway and Highlands Ranch Parkway (http://www.bonfils.org/contact_us/donor_center_directory/highlands_ranch.cfm).

If you think you can make it, reply here or gimme a ring or something. Right now, it looks like it's just Jeanna and me, but the mo the colors, the mo better.
:up:

Anyway.... Once we get a more concrete donation time set, I'll bump this.

~Barn~
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Okay, we're locked in at 3:40 today. Give them a ring and schedule an appointment, if you're interested in joining us.

Shortcake
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
We changed to 4:00pm.... who's coming with us!:slappers:

longrider
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
i saw this too late, but seeing we are on the same eligibility schedule I will try to hook up next time. (my appointment is for Thursday morning)

Shortcake
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
We decided pretty last minute, but YES!! definatly come with us next time!

wazemoto07
Mon Sep 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Can't take mine been through cancer twice and Married!!!!!!!:hump: They could though benn poked and proded enough to make anyone sick!!!!

~Barn~
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
It's that time again!

When: Next Wednesday, the 12th. Sometime after 5:00 PM.
Who: Just Jeanna, Longrider, and me, so far.
Why: Cause we're ga'damn givers like that, that's why!
Where: The Bonfils just south of 470 on Broadway. Highlands Ranch.

PM me if you wanna get in on this.

PROFLYER
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
they don't want my blood

chad23
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
they will not take my blood either. I have to wait a year after a tattoo
have fun and we'll be thinking of you

Snowman
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Barn, feels the need...
The need to bleed...

PROFLYER
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
have fun and we'll be thinking of you Really? I have other, extra curricular reasons :alien:

chad23
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
what do you like heron, or is it your muscles are so big that they cant get the needle in your skin

200sr20
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
have fun and we'll be thinking of you
same here

longrider
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I'm in but evenings are rough for me. Morning 8 to 9 or so works a lot better

~Barn~
Tue Nov 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Just wanted to give a quick TTT for this thread, incase anybody else is down.

Longrider.... You still in? Did you get a chance to give them a call and make an appointment, or you just going to do a walk-up?

longrider
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Sorry, I can't do the evening hours, we don't even close until 6. I will probably be going tomorrow morning if they still have appointments open. Maybe January if you can schedule in the morning or I am off on Monday so any time works

~Barn~
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Ah!... Well no worries then. Maybe in a couple months I'll shoot for a Monday slot. :up:

Shortcake
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
See you there Barn!!!

~Barn~
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
See you there Barn!!!

:yes:

~Barn~
Wed Feb 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
- Tonight.
- 5:00.
- Bonfils in Highlands Ranch.
- Me, Wayne-Mob, and The Shortcake.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Okay... Not everybody at once!

- Saturday, the 25th.
- 1:00 PM
- Bonfils in Highlands Ranch (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=541+West+Highlands+Ranch+Parkway,+Highlands+Ranc h,+CO+80129&sll=39.597223,-104.951363&sspn=0.179362,0.2314&ie=UTF8&ll=39.551012,-104.994278&spn=0.022435,0.028925&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1).
- Me, Wayne-Mob, and Red.
- You?

2009RavenR1
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
just curious do you know where your blood is going with this org?

Wyck
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'm in for the next one.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Bonfils is the organization that supplies the blood bank in this region. Elsewhere the Red Cross does it, but they are only disaster relief here. So no worries, there isn't any funky experimentation going on here - tis all fo the good of the community!

EDIT: Oh and Barn - I'll be in pending how my other plans for the day go!

~Barn~
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:03 AM

Not particularly. Just hopefully to somebody who needs it. :lol:

2009RavenR1
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
The reason I was asking is that some places sell the blood over seas... Not that it doesn't save a life there.... but I would rather save an americans life (just me i dunno?).... I donate as much as possible, being O neg I am the universal blood giver. I try to donate to places that keep the blood in the military. Also, synthetic blood should be available to the public within the next few years, this will almost eliminate the need for human blood donations.

Shortcake
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yippie!! Needles and Free Ice Cream :)

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ah..I see.
Yes...Bonfils only supplies the local banks and maybe neighboring areas when a disaster or something happens.
Synthetic blood has been being used in Denver for a bit now in an FDA experiment. Denver Health ambulances are doing the study on their trauma patients. There has been a bit of controversy over the matter since the patients are typically unable to refuse to take part in the study at the time. The way to opt out was to wear some bracelet that a lot of folks simply didn't know about. I'm not sure whatever came of that whole deal. If I recall correctly, the study hit some snags anyway and they are finding that it may not be as beneficial as previously thought? Once we find something that works tho, it will be great and us field personnel will be able to do so much more for our patients!!!

Sean
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Okay... Not everybody at once!

- Saturday, the 25th.
- 1:00 PM
- Bonfils in Highlands Ranch (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=541+West+Highlands+Ranch+Parkway,+Highlands+Ranc h,+CO+80129&sll=39.597223,-104.951363&sspn=0.179362,0.2314&ie=UTF8&ll=39.551012,-104.994278&spn=0.022435,0.028925&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1).
- Me, Wayne-Mob, and Red.
- You?
I was just thinking of this. With the Jason Britton show coming up, it's one year ago that we lost Randy to that terrible accident. That was the first time I had donated blood, and I think it's time I did again, just in case someone else needs it :up:

Don't know if I'll join you down there Barn, but I'll get the job done in B-town.

2009RavenR1
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Well the US military is usually the guinnai pigs for stuff like this. It works well in a healthy person.. ie enough white and red blood cells, enough platelets.... But people who are sick with still need human blood for all of the antibodies and cells in the blood. it is synthetic plasma, not really blood... guess it was easier to call it blood than plasma

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
I was just thinking of this. With the Jason Britton show coming up, it's one year ago that we lost Randy to that terrible accident. That was the first time I had donated blood, and I think it's time I did again, just in case someone else needs it :up:

Don't know if I'll join you down there Barn, but I'll get the job done in B-town.
Something else you may want to consider Sean is apheresis donation. You can do it more often since they don't take all of the blood, they actually just take different components depending upon your blood type. This can actually help a lot more people with a single donation too! I don't have a super common blood type, so they actually prefer I do the apheresis vs. whole blood donation. It takes a little bit longer, but they tell me that my one donation helps at least three folks as opposed to the one person in whole donation.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM

Good deal man. Somebody will benefit from it. :up:

inkahootz
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
ill go -- even tho i 'gave' blood every week for 10 weeks during that f'n phlebotomy thing -- ill be there! maybe i can draw on myself, haha!

Shortcake
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
I would call for an appointment Lindsey!
(303) 341-4000
We have appointments at 1:00 and 1:10pm, anything around that time'll work.

We could go for a late lunch after or something

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Well the US military is usually the guinnai pigs for stuff like this. It works well in a healthy person.. ie enough white and red blood cells, enough platelets.... But people who are sick with still need human blood for all of the antibodies and cells in the blood. it is synthetic plasma, not really blood... guess it was easier to call it blood than plasma
Oh I know! But how many healthy/stable folks are needing these infusions? I understand that we have to start somewhere...but the majority of both military patients and the patients I'm seeing are hypovolemic/shocky due to trauma and need the hemoglobin and cellular structures for it to do any good. Cellular metabolism just can't happen w/out 'em! lol Anyhoo... enough thread jacking - sorry Barn! lol
Raven - I'd really love to talk to ya more about the studies and such if ya want in PM land (I find this stuff fascinating).

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Oh crap!!! I just went on the website to set up an appt with you guys and just saw the reminder on eligibility. I can't do it for a year now since my piercings weren't done at a Dr's office....grrrrr!

Squisha
Wed Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Dammit! I'm not eligible until NEXT wednesday. Keep the dialogue going on this one so maybe I can get the timing right next time!

dapper
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
We have appointments at 1:00 and 1:10pm, anything around that time'll work.

We could go for a late lunch after or something
I will join ya for blood letting by 1:20pm

:)

Shortcake
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
I will join ya for blood letting by 1:20pm

:)

SWEET! See you there!

~Barn~
Thu Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
We'll see you there, Dan.

Sean
Fri Apr 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
fyi: Bonfil's @ Boulder community hospital (Broadway and Balsam) on Thursday April 30th. Just got the email today. I'm gonna try and make it, but that's a really bad day, we'll see.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
This coming Saturday (the 8th) at between 10:00 and 10:30, at the Highlands Ranch Bonfils.

I have a 10:10 and Tanya has a 10:30, so anytime around then is good. Lunch afterwards is a given. :up:

~Barn~
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
If you didn't make it out to donate on Saturday (which includes all of you), you missed out on a nice freebie....

salsashark
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:up: got mine in July... nice little bottle.

~Barn~
Tue Aug 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
:up: got mine in July... nice little bottle.

Noyce! And you're right, it is a gooder; Bonfils always has some cool swag!

I'm not elgible to go again for a bit, but if anybody is interested in the next one, it'll be sometime in October.

~Barn~
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
So... Who is ready to dust this one off again with me again?

I'm thinking sometime in the late morning on Saturday the 9th of October [2010 just to be clear], down here at the Highlands Ranch Bonfils.

Sarge
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Not to be all selfish about it, but how exactly does this place work? Do they pay you, or just give you cookies, etc? I donate fairly regularly when the Red Cross comes to post, etc, but I've heard good things about places off post that actually put up money. Mostly just rumors, but I've also heard that blood with certain immunizations, i.e. Typhoid, Smallpox, Anthrax, etc is actually worth more. I'm current on all of these and have the paperwork to prove it.

~Barn~
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Bonfils doesn't pay you, but I do enjoy the free snacks and the occasional free swag. But yeah, I just do it, to do it.

salsashark
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I've been feeling guilty about bailing on our onsite donation last week... They don't have the most skilled vampires and after the last couple of times, the bruising has convinced me to not want to go back.

Anyways... I'm down.

birchyboy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm up for it. If anyone wants to ride together from SE Aurora PM me.

salsashark
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
appt set for 10:30

~Barn~
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:54 AM

10:30 at the HR location on 10/9/2010 ?

If so, I'll get booked today.

salsashark
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
yep

birchyboy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM

10:30 at the HR location on 10/9/2010 ?

If so, I'll get booked today.

Are we making individual appt's or are you making group appt's?

Sorry - haven't been there so don't know how they work.

salsashark
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
They work on individual appts. and walk ins. Walk-ins get bumped for appts so on a weekend, you could wait for a long time. It's best to set an appt.

birchyboy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
They work on individual appts. and walk ins. Walk-ins get bumped for appts so on a weekend, you could wait for a long time. It's best to set an appt.

Cool. I'm going to make an appt then.

~Barn~
yep

Done and done; I'm penciled in for 10:40.

I say we go to The Ballet afterwords for some extra "care". :yes:

~Barn~
Nice Alan! :up:

birchyboy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm in at 11:00 and also made an appt for my wife at 11:20. I'm not sure if she will go or not.

What's the Ballet?

~Barn~
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM
The "Glendale Ballet". AKA the strip club. :D

birchyboy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ahhh. Even if she does come she'd probably be up for that :-)

longrider
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Sorry, I just gave a couple weeks ago so I dont think they will take me again just yet...

~Barn~
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
It's not too late to get on Saturday's festivities!

bornwildnfree
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I wish! I'm O something and they always want to suck my blood, but alas, two tattoos in a year rules me out. Thanks for doing this and I will be all over it next year!

Sean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Can't make this one. But it's a good reminder that I should find out when the next one is in my area. I haven't given since we lost Randy (budwsr).

~Barn~
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Just to prove that it actually went down! =)

Be on the lookout for the next one, sometime in early/mid December!

salsashark
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WENF5AxFUtU/TLDbMmHFWrI/AAAAAAAALng/I5dUjdOy-mY/s576/photo%20%281%29.JPG

~Barn~
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry for the short notice, but the next one is on the map!

Tanya and I tried to do a walk-in this past weekend, but they were fully booked so they couldn't fit us in. She and I are now setup for the Highlands Ranch Bonfils this coming Saturday (1/8/2011) at 12:20 and 12:30.

If you think you'd like to join us, give the appointment line a call and let them know you're wanting to donate around that time, and you'll be meeting us, blah-blah-blah.... I imagine they may have some openings, since it's only Tuesday.

salsashark
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
doh... dance card's full for this saturday... next time though.

birchyboy
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
doh... dance card's full for this saturday... next time though.

Same with me

bornwildnfree
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I wish I could give blood as I'm the kind they always need, but alas I have had two tattoos in the last year and can not for another year. Thanks for doing this though!

bulldog
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I wish I could give blood as I'm the kind they always need, but alas I have had two tattoos in the last year and can not for another year. Thanks for doing this though! +1 Kind of stupid rule since I have never been to a tattoo shop that doesn't pull a sterile needle right out of the packaging.....

~Barn~
Tue Jan 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Maybe worth giving them a call. I think they may have eased up on tatoo restrictions somewhat here lately. :dunno:

Actually nevermind that... I'll ask them when I head in and post up! :yes:

~Barn~
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM
So I got my next one on the calendar for 4/30/11. Come join me if you can!

I'm assuming now that I'll be riding there, so if there's any interest in a post-donation ride to go have lunch somewhere [coughcoughTheAmeristar] , I'm down for that too. =)

Location: Highlands Ranch Bonfils (http://www.bonfils.org/index.cfm/contact-us/donor-center-directory/highlands-ranch-community-donor-center/)
Time: 11:00AM [call Bonfils to schedule around then]
Date: Saturday, April 30th 2011

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Apr 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Wish I could donate. Have to wait till they think I am all clean from those Iraq bugs.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Nobody, eh? Boooo.

Anybody at least want to catch a ride somewhere afterwards?

~Barn~
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Welp, I'm due for a donation again, so here is my open invite. I just got done reading the donation page for D. Camp's daughter, and it made me remember just how neat it is, to see people come together to help out others that they maybe never met, or ever would meet. It also made helped me to not slack on this!

If you down to join me, just let me know what time of day works best for you, and I'll try and make it work!

~Barn~
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM
And it probably goes without saying, but I'm down to go catch a ride and breakfast and/or lunch afterwards. Or a ride to Black Hawk. You know; Whatev'.

grim
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
And it probably goes without saying, but I'm down to go catch a ride and breakfast and/or lunch afterwards. Or a ride to Black Hawk. You know; Whatev'.

What day are you planning? i havent donated in too long i need to!!!

birchyboy
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I'm in too. They've been calling me lately but I've been too busy it seems. Tell me what day (weekend preferably) and I'll see if I can work it in.

salsashark
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I should be back by 7-30/31... If you're going then, I'm in

DolphinRider
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
We would be there if its around the First or Second of August, we are due also..... Thanks

bulldog
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
We would be there if its around the First or Second of August, we are due also..... Thanks We??? Your dolphin too :lol:

DolphinRider
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
We??? Your dolphin too :lol:

hahaha,,, no, DemonRider,,,,, Ramon,,,, aka: significant other:D

bulldog
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
hahaha,,, no, DemonRider,,,,, Ramon,,,, aka: significant other:D Darn I was hoping you had a dolphin; they are fun to ride :lol:

P.S. I am out for blood; got tattoed in last few months...stupid rule!

Zenshu
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I might be down depending on the day, I have finally broken the "been back from Iraq for more than 12 months" window so I can donate again.

JDK1962
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Welp, I'm due for a donation again, so here is my open invite. I just got done reading the donation page for D. Camp's daughter, and it made me remember just how neat it is, to see people come together to help out others that they maybe never met, or ever would meet. It also made helped me to not slack on this!

If you down to join me, just let me know what time of day works best for you, and I'll try and make it work!

To jump on ~Barn~'s bandwagon...if any of you Northies want to donate, but don't want to brave Denver Metro traffic, there's a perfectly serviceable Bonfils location on 28th (near Valmont) in Boulder.

I'll be there doing plasma/platelet donation 3-5 on Thursday, July 28...if you see a Honda 919 in the parking lot, say howdy.

~Barn~
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I know I haven't dusted this thread off in awhile, since my last few donations have been here at the office (they do periodic blood drives).... But I thought I'd give this a quick bump, to let you all know that we're having one a week from today on 6/29/12.

My office is one block South of the intersection of I-225 and Tamarac/DTC Blvd, and the building is called Stanford Place 1. So if it's something you're interested in, definitely sign up and let me know!

To make your appointment, you can call Bonfils at 303-363-2300 or register online at https://donors.bonfils.org/ (https://donors.bonfils.org/) using site code A293. It's promo season, so all donors will get a free T-Shirt out of it, and of course the usual snacks and bevies. My appointment is at 14:40, if you want to schedule near then. :up:

salsashark
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Just gave last week... The "skilled" phlebotonist stabbed me three times before he hit the vein :x A week later and the bruise is almost gone...

I'll be up for another on in August.

~Barn~
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Howdy folks. I'm due for another donation to Bonfils, and as usual I'm putting out this open invite to see who all from the CSC community would like to join me.

Depsite all of the recent political tension, this is a non-partisan event as I'm happy to contribute and bleed alongside Liberals and Conservatives alike for the greater good. I'm proud to say that this charitable effort of mine is now on the verge of 8 years running, and many many people have come out with me to donate.

Please post up if you're interested and we'll come up with a date and time to hopefully accommodate us all! :up:

madvlad
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Im diabetic or else I'd donate mayne

~Barn~
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Diabetics can still donate blood as long as the other medical requirements are met.

If you've used bovine-derived insulin, that may result in deferral, but if not you're in the clear! Again... assuming that all of the other medical requirements are met. ;)

madvlad
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Im clean in all other medical areas, I was told a few years ago I tried to donate and they told me bo cant do cause of my type 1.

~Barn~
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Well let me know if you ever want to come-with. The worst they can tell you is no, based on your answers to the questionnaire. They still will even let you have the give-away swag just for trying, even if you're deferred.

mdub
Wed Oct 24th, 2012, 04:18 PM
this is one thing i cannot ever do. I can barely keep concious when they draw a cpl tubes from me.......