PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Tail Light

broncsrule21
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Does anybody know if eliminating your rear blinkers are legal in Colorado. Thinking about going to an integrated tail light but don't know how LEOs feel about this. Legal or not...do the cops enforce?

birchyboy
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 11:52 AM
This is from a form used when converting an off-road bike to a road bike:

42-4-208 Stop Lamps—All motorcycles manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1958 shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp meeting the requirements of this section.

Form:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite%3Fblobcol=urldata%26blobheader=applicati on%252Fpdf%26blobkey=id%26blobtable=MungoBlobs%26b lobwhere=1251727670547%26ssbinary=true

Not sure if this pertains to your situation, though.

broncsrule21
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I will still have brake lights (and signals), it is just all one unit. I know some states require the blinkers being a minimum distance apart. I haven't been able to locate the Colorado code yet.

birchyboy
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM
This is a non-government website that says they're not:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=6

broncsrule21
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I have determined that signals are not required in Colorado. No signals...hand signals are required. Since and integrated tail light does have directionals, I am going with it is legal. I think a lot of people have done this mod, and I have not heard of any ramifications. There, I have talked myself into it!

Drano
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I had an integrated taillight on my SV and I was never hassled for it here.

birchyboy
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking of removing my blinkers as well. It's a bit of a safety concern for me, but I'm not sure how much people even notice them.

Aaron
Fri Sep 19th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Turn signals are not required in Colorado, you'll just need to use your arms to signal.

I've never been a fan of integrated signals/blinkers, mainly because I've never seen one that matched factory brightness, and the signals can be difficult to tell which side you are signaling. But it's your bike, and I doubt you'll get much trouble from Law Enforcement.