PDA

View Full Version : Roads marked 'Private Drive' or similar; okay to ride on?

LambeauXLIV
Sun Oct 19th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I recently got rid of my GSXR in favor of a DRZ400SM, and had a question regarding roads that have road signs, but also have lesser signs that say something like 'Private Drive.'

Ex: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6424225,-105.3091502,3a,78.7y,298.43h,82.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sA2aJMNz8H29lUjlA9wa4cw!2e0

Are those signs saying that the property on either side of the road is private, and to stay on the road, or is the road itself private? I'd like to go exploring, but don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Does anyone here know what constitutes a private road and when travel isn't allowed?

Thanks

birchyboy
Sun Oct 19th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Good question! My rule of thumb has always been to avoid roads with barriers (chain, gates, etc.). If there's no barrier, then avoid the land with a no trespassing sign.

Wrider
Sun Oct 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Technically those can be private as well. What a lot of rural-type developments will do is create their own road that services all of the driveways in the community. That road is paid for with the community dues and taken care of via private funds, so they can legally require you to leave as it is their property.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Oct 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM
'Private Road' means just that. Signs on either side of the road stating 'No Trespassing' means stay on the road, provided you didn't miss a "Private Road" sign. If you come up to a gate with no signs, you are okay to go through it. Just leave the gate in the state that it was in when you came upon it. The gates are usually there to control open grazing. Leave open if it's open or close it behind you if it was closed. This is very common and most hiking, 4X or climbing type guides will tell you that.