PDA

View Full Version : SAT Nov. 1st Nice weather and a track day @ HPR

Gramps
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Who's in?

A few of us old guys are thinking about it if the weather holds.

big_sur
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Was thinking about it until I got scared of winter and put anti-freeze back in the bike. :(

Bueller
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I have a punch card w/2 half days left and I am not sure I'll get back out this year, $160

ThorneM1
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I'm in!!! I desperately need a ride so i don't have to make the bike suffer a 140 mile round trip on i70.

My wife and I live in Westminster/Broomfield and are willing to meet at your place or in the middle. We've got one (my) bike, 2002 GSX-R 600 with tie down straps along with the usual rear stand, tools, gas cans, and a fold up chair + cooler.

I'm willing to throw down gas money or go halves on this guys punch card (so we get an $80 day! Saves $30-$40!

Please please please let me know asap. If it helps... we aren't crazies!

Gramps
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 04:09 PM
My trailer is full I think. I'll know more on Wed. I'll let you know if I have a spot.

ThorneM1
Mon Oct 27th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Hopefully you will! Thank you.

sbgixxer
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to make it out on Saturday (looks like it's going to be perfect weather!). My trailer is set-up for one bike so I can't help there but I could take all your stuff. My bike is in the shop having some recall work done. If they get the parts, I'll be there....and if they don't, obviously I'm screwed.

ThorneM1
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Anyone going Saturday want to go halves on Bueller's punch card?

Nolan
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 08:02 PM
If you don't mind dealing with an old guy/newb (2nd time out at hpr) I could haul two. But my better half plus two young heathens take up the room in the cab..... Get Buellers punch card.

ThorneM1
Tue Oct 28th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I have a punch card w/2 half days left and I am not sure I'll get back out this year, $160

@Bueller - I'll take the card, I'll PM you when I figure out how...

If you don't mind dealing with an old guy/newb (2nd time out at hpr) I could haul two. But my better half plus two young heathens take up the room in the cab..... Get Buellers punch card.

@Nolan - This will be my first track day ever, been on 2 wheels since I was on a PW80 20 years ago! I'll definitely take your offer, we'll follow in the car. I'll PM you to figure out logistics.

Gramps
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 06:19 AM
It sounds like you guys are getting the trailer arrangements figured out.

One of you needs to call the track or email Glenn and let him know you are planning on coming with a punch card. The reasoning for this is I am not sure how many people have registered but we need 10 people so they don't cancel the day.

See you guys at the track!

Nolan
Wed Oct 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
On it....

Gramps
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I'm worried about this one with no more interest than it seems to have. I called the hotline last night and as of 9 pm there was not enough sign ups to open the track.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nolan
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Well crap. Signed up last night around 8.

ThorneM1
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I registered around 7 last night too... hopefully some folks see our posts and sign up last minute.

Gshak
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I just registered. Weather looks 100% perfect. Lets hope we get enough sign-ups!

big_sur
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM
They posted on fb that they have enough people to run.

Nolan
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I look forward to being the slowest guy out there!

sbgixxer
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Anyone getting a "garage" (shade structure) or interested in sharing one? I think it's $25. Beats the hell outta trying to peel off the leathers after every session.

ThorneM1
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'll be there on a Blue/White Gixxer and will consider this... if Nolan chipped in its real cheap.

sbgixxer
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Right on. I'll be riding the black/maroon Gixxer.

Nolan
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'm sure I could. The kids will be hanging out and being kids.... As long as nobody minds too much.

Gramps
Thu Oct 30th, 2014, 03:48 PM
They posted on fb that they have enough people to run.

Awesome! I'm paid. See you guys out there. Black 07 ZX-6R

Nolan
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 04:27 PM
Do I need or should tape off all the lights? I can pull fuses and they won't work. Since nothing is glass am I good to go? Leave the fuses in? I don't really have a preference either way.

hcr25
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 05:48 PM
You don't need to tape lights. Pull fuses is fine but not mandatory.
Also guys don't forget the concessions trailer is closed for the winter so bring food and water.

Nolan
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks!

sbgixxer
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Ok, I'm 100% in. I'll be in the Maroon FJ Cruiser pulling my GSXR. I'll probably get a shade garage if anyone wants to share.

ThorneM1
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 08:51 PM
I have about 1200 street miles on my oil (mostly the twisties up into Blackhawk, Nederland, and Estes)... should I change it? I'm geared -1/+2 so I'm shifting a little more often as well...

madvlad
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 09:13 PM
I have about 1200 street miles on my oil (mostly the twisties up into Blackhawk, Nederland, and Estes)... should I change it? I'm geared -1/+2 so I'm shifting a little more often as well...

You should be okay but make sure to change it when you finish at the track

UHATEIT
Fri Oct 31st, 2014, 09:53 PM

Whoa -1/+2 isn't that a street setup for more low end torque. At the track you'll be in the higher rpm all the time I imagine with that setup. I went -1 in front on my ninja and that thing but s through gas and rides at higher rpm on the freeway its also obnoxiously loud. I dont know if I could go +2 in rear as well.

milehizx6r
Sat Nov 1st, 2014, 04:19 PM
Seriously UHATEIT, I just geared mine -1 +3 and that is great for track only riding. Yes it's some aggressive gearing, but o the track it's perfect. Not made for highway. But then again, I'm done on the streets. I'm building my bike for track only.

ThorneM1
Sat Nov 1st, 2014, 04:31 PM
First time to the track and I had an absolute blast! ~125 miles of pure fun!

Thanks for hauling my bike Nolan!

DriverDave
Sat Nov 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Seriously UHATEIT, I just geared mine -1 +3 and that is great for track only riding. Yes it's some aggressive gearing, but o the track it's perfect. Not made for highway. But then again, I'm done on the streets. I'm building my bike for track only.

That's too bad, me and Scott missed you on 77 today! That's such a fun road. Maybe someday I'll get a track bike and join you at the track.

UHATEIT
Sat Nov 1st, 2014, 05:05 PM

I guess that's good for track so you can keep it in the higher rpms. I still ride street all the time a -1 front is about as far as I will go. The rpms are about 1000 higher at freeway speeds which burns more gas for me and the exhaust blares. But for the track your setup is probably what people would want. I don't a desire to do track yet but when that time comes I'll keep in mind the -1/+3 for a track bike

Nolan
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:15 AM
My better half took some decent pictures of the day sometime this week I'll try and post up the album.

If you're looking for fuel economy on a sportbike, you're doing it wrong. With that my average on the street is 50mpg, out at hpr the computer said 35mpg.... and I suck. There's so much more that the bike can do than I can.

UHATEIT
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:43 AM
My better half took some decent pictures of the day sometime this week I'll try and post up the album.

If you're looking for fuel economy on a sportbike, you're doing it wrong. With that my average on the street is 50mpg, out at hpr the computer said 35mpg.... and I suck. There's so much more that the bike can do than I can.

My difference came from the SV to the ninja. I dont know how it did it but SV was sv was averaging 57-61 but she ninja is averaging 35-40. Yes it has more cylinders and I do have a power commander. The gearing did mess with it too. Its not that THAT'S what I care about on a sport bike. But I only ride street and commuting to the mountains and riding around it gets significantly less than the SV and I miss going 200 miles between fill ups. To each their own on what they want to do or get out of their bike. For me its not my time yet to be doing track riding. I enjoy the street and the mountains so I would like a little bit more mileage out of it.

The Black Knight
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 08:45 AM

35mpgs still isn't bad at the track. Last time I did a MPG check, I normally see around 24-25mpg's once I hit the track. Then again, I'm 1 down, 2 up for gearing on my 1000cc, which I know skews the mileage just a bit. However, I do burn a lot of fuel, way more than I ever did on the street. I can normally get four sessions and then my low fuel light comes on and that's about 35-40 laps worth of riding.

So just using easy math, 40 laps X 2.25 miles per lap(PMP) = 90 miles traveled, then divided by 3.5(gallons) = 25.714mpgs

Which is about right, as I put about 3 to 3.5 gallons of fuel in for lapping.

My difference came from the SV to the ninja. I dont know how it did it but SV was sv was averaging 57-61 but she ninja is averaging 35-40. Yes it has more cylinders and I do have a power commander. The gearing did mess with it too. Its not that THAT'S what I care about on a sport bike. But I only ride street and commuting to the mountains and riding around it gets significantly less than the SV and I miss going 200 miles between fill ups. To each their own on what they want to do or get out of their bike. For me its not my time yet to be doing track riding. I enjoy the street and the mountains so I would like a little bit more mileage out of it.
You have to remember that not only does your Ninja have two more cylinders it also makes about 40-50hp more than the SV. I don't care what anyone says, horsepower takes fuel and the more power you have the more fuel you will burn.

Case in point, look at a MotoGP bike. For 2014 we saw factory bikes being limited from 21 to 20 liters of fuel. 21 = 5.54 gallons, 20 = 5.28 gallons. Factory 2 Bikes 22 to 21 liters of fuel. 22 = 5.81 gallons, 21 = 5.54, and for Open Bikes - 24 liters = 6.34 gallons. So with almost a gallon of fuel difference between Factory and Open bikes, you can see how teams early in the season were concerned about fuel. Especially with these high horsepower bikes.

These are 250hp bikes that are expected to go race distance on one less liter of fuel and you can see why the teams started freaking out. Because, horsepower takes fuel and the more you make the more you'll burn. Which is why the factory teams are allowed to use their own software, it's the only way they can manage the fuel usage.

Sure gearing will affect your fuel usage but the fact you're making more horsepower with your new bike is also a big factor as well. Unless you're running one of those gigantic stunter sprockets, then you're not going to drastically change your fuel mileage.

Nolan
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Link to album. Currently uploading....

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/NolanL1/library/HPR%2011-1-14

Bueller
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Looked to be a perfect day!

Nolan
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Yes it was! Thanks for the lapping card.

ThorneM1
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Link to album. Currently uploading....

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/NolanL1/library/HPR%2011-1-14

Thanks for the great photos!

Nolan
Sun Nov 2nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
Upload complete.