PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Comcast :)

The Black Knight
Tue Dec 9th, 2014, 07:26 PM
:D

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/DNA_SWIRL_777/IMG_20141209_191817_1711_zpsce10cba0.jpg

Commercial speed yo!!!

#1Townie
Tue Dec 9th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Hey you have been silent about the new cod. What's your thoughts?

mdub
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I like comcast. Belly ache a bit then get HBO for a few months..

.... And Netflix .....love Netflix . Wish it has Taxi

bulldog
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Damn! How you getting these speeds? Do you just pay for their highest internet service or is there some trick? I have Comcast and get about 30-40mbs and pay like $60 a month.

The Black Knight
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Damn! How you getting these speeds? Do you just pay for their highest internet service or is there some trick? I have Comcast and get about 30-40mbs and pay like $60 a month.

You may want to check with them about your specific tier of internet you have and are paying for. 30-40mb is quick and about right for what you're paying. Before my upgrade yesterday I was at 55-60mb and paying $85 a month. Well since I bundled with cable TV and internet I got their 2-year price locked deal for $129 a month. That's all their channels(and I mean all of them) with their new dual band offered modem and boost in internet speed from 60 to 120+mb's.

Also FWIW, I've always had their highest offered speed which is basically their business class tier. Now it's just really cranked up :D

LambeauXLIV
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
with their new dual band offered modem

Is that the one that automatically offers a wifi-hotspot for other Comcast customers to use? http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/comcast-sued-by-customers-for-turning-routers-into-public-hotspots/

The Black Knight
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Is that the one that automatically offers a wifi-hotspot for other Comcast customers to use? http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/comcast-sued-by-customers-for-turning-routers-into-public-hotspots/

Not sure if it does or not. The tech didn't mention it. However I did have to go in and lock down all the Wi-Fi stuff. Being dual band I had to secure both bands so that no one could scavenge off my signal

TFOGGuys
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Also FWIW, I've always had their highest offered speed which is basically their business class tier. Now it's just not throttled as much :D

Fixed.

I'm going to come unstuck on them very soon. My so-called "business class" connection here at the shop averages 7mb down, and 2 up. My mid-tier connection at the house is 28 down, 11 up. WTF?

birchyboy
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I spoke with Comcast a little while ago and they are in the process of doubling the speeds for everyone that has speeds of 25+. No exact timeline, but hopefully soon.

For those with double or triple play - does the bill break out the cost? I need an Internet price for reimbursement from my work, and cannot bundle if that goes away. Well, I can bundle but will lose the reimbursement.

bulldog
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Not sure if it does or not. The tech didn't mention it. However I did have to go in and lock down all the Wi-Fi stuff. Being dual band I had to secure both bands so that no one could scavenge off my signal Thanks for reply; at least makes me feel better that I am pretty much getting what I paid for then, because I always figured I could pay more and get faster speeds. However not that fast as that is crazy speed….so jealous. Lol….jk

I thought I remember someone saying you can go online or call them and see if you qualify for a discount. I know they did away with a lot of them, but anyone know if they still offer one if you call and complain. Thought it was like once a year they allow now.

Clovis
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 11:52 AM
We hated Comcast when we had them for 10 years (or rather companies that eventually became Comcast... remember Adelphia?)

We canceled cable a couple years ago. Now we pay $50/mo for a 50mb fiber optic connection (it's always at 50mbs; each house in our neighbhorhood has a dedicated fiber line) and use Netflix/Hulu for most of our TV shows and PlayOn for anything not on Hulu/Netflix.

$50 for the internet and around $15 for Hulu/Netflix.

Need a seperate antenna to watch local TV/sports but that's free.

07D675CO
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 12:45 PM
We hated Comcast when we had them for 10 years (or rather companies that eventually became Comcast... remember Adelphia?)

We canceled cable a couple years ago. Now we pay $50/mo for a 50mb fiber optic connection (it's always at 50mbs; each house in our neighbhorhood has a dedicated fiber line) and use Netflix/Hulu for most of our TV shows and PlayOn for anything not on Hulu/Netflix.

$50 for the internet and around $15 for Hulu/Netflix.

Need a seperate antenna to watch local TV/sports but that's free.

I wish we had fiber here. I switched from CenturyLink to comcrap and while the service is better I have to monitor my bills like a hawk to make sure they don't try to screw me. I have had to contact them a number of times for billing issues. One time they told me they put the modem rental fee on everyones bill because they found they were not charging some folks for it when they should have been. Seriously??? You screwed up so you choose to charge everyone unless they catch it? They removed it but that right there says all you need to know about comcrap.

The Black Knight
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Hey you have been silent about the new cod. What's your thoughts?

To keep it simple, I still haven't formed a good solid opinion of the new Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Reason is, I've finally stepped up to the PS4 but also keep the PS3 around in order to still play with friends that haven't switched to the PS4 yet. On one hand with the PS3, the game is absolute junk!! Yet on the other with the PS4, the game is rather amazing.

I think the problem lies more with the platforms, rather than the game itself. I just got the PS4 a couple weeks ago, but have been playing Advanced Warfare on the PS3 since it dropped so I was pleasantly surprised by just how much better the game was on the PS4 compared to the PS3.

Main issues on the PS3: Spawns really suck, lag is very noticeable, weapons are stupid and ridiculous. The part about the weapons is that for some reason every gun I've used seems have to have a bent barrel. You can't hit the broadside of a barn with many of the guns on the PS3 platform. I don't know if it's all the jet pack shit that goes on during the multiplayer gaming or what but accuracy with these weapons is beyond terrible. Don't even get me started on that lame ass "laser" energy beam guns. As if camping wasn't prevalent enough, now people that plant their ass cheeks against a corner have the ultimate weapon that is way over powered. At least for "Hardcore" the laser guns are way to powerful. They only need to graze your guy and you're dead.

PS4: many of my complaints are considerably less severe on the PS4. Now having to pay for the PS4 network, the lag isn't bad and is almost non-existent. Especially when playing alone, I get matched with people of my own internet speed caliber. The weapons are great, everything I aim at I hit, no problems whatsoever. Laser guns on the PS4 are still cheesy(but that's to be expected). The only drawback on the PS4 would be the spawn system. It is the same as the PS3 and hopefully with some patches in the future will get better with time. I will say I've experienced zero connectivity issues on the PS4. On the PS3, I actually had two games in which I got stuck in "spectator mode" and never spawned in with my team. I had many instances of spawning in 30 to 60 seconds after everyone else on my team as well. I deduced that it had to be my internet and the people I played with. The connectivity issues only happened when I was in parties with people who have slower internet than I do. If I played alone, I never had problems and always was one of the first to spawn into the games. Playing in a group/party with people on DSL, I got lag comp'ed to the point of not being able to play or having to deal with very laggy game play.

All in all, I like Advanced Warfare to a degree. It is a giant leap better than Ghosts. Ghosts was just a utter flop and really disappointing. The whole mechanics of Ghosts were just terrible. The maps sucked and especially all of the map packs were crappy.

Give it a few more months and I'll have a better grasp on this game. The one great thing I do like about it is all the customization you can do with your character. Also the "Loot" you earn throughout the game either via challenges or supply drops is pretty cool. I've managed to earn a few of full outfits(KVA Assassin, KVA Mercenary). You can really make your character look bad ass so that's always cool.

#1Townie
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I will never understand why they went to that lag bullshit with mw3. It ruined gaming for me. Pay top dollar to have the best and be punished for it. Screw that.

I have really been turned off of fps. I only play here and there anymore and I never actually play. Just troll.

The Black Knight
Wed Dec 10th, 2014, 10:15 PM
I will never understand why they went to that lag bullshit with mw3. It ruined gaming for me. Pay top dollar to have the best and be punished for it. Screw that.

I have really been turned off of fps. I only play here and there anymore and I never actually play. Just troll.

I hear all that. I was thinking of getting rid of it altogether then snagged a great deal on the PS4. So I'll give it a little longer. What was irritating is I think they are starting to phase out the PS3. You can tell things just aren't as polished on the PS3 compared to the PS4. I firmly believe we are in the last days of seeing a Call of Duty for the older platforms. To be honest if the next COD drops on the older platforms I'd be surprised. I think both Sony and Xbox are moving away from the old in order to get more of the new out there.

Sooner or later they will shut down the networks for the older platforms and then you'll be forced to make the change over. Which sucks because I still love playing zombies on the PS3 and the PS4 doesn't have any game with zombies yet. The next COD should he a Treyarch game and we should see zombies but still a year out.

bulldog
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I am getting a PS4 for Xmas from my wife and the new Call of Duty! Can't wait!

Townie, you got a PS4 or playing on the PS3?

Black Knight: Yeah pissed me off too that when the new systems come out they phase out the old ones. Call of Duty MW3 was for sure made for the PS4, so I feel any new games that comes out are made for PS4 and then cheaply translated over to the PS3….I am sure in hopes of what you said; the PS3 versions will just not compare to the PS4's. I am also pissed the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3......so now all my old games can't be played on it...BS

07D675CO
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I am also pissed the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3......so now all my old games can't be played on it...BS

That is probably the biggest reason I don't have one. That and my wheel isn't compatible with the 4. So I will stick with my 3 and racing games.

bulldog
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 09:45 AM
That is probably the biggest reason I don't have one. That and my wheel isn't compatible with the 4. So I will stick with my 3 and racing games. What really pissed me off is I feel they have the technology to do this because the first set of PS3 were actually released to be backward compatible with PS and PS2 games (also came with SD card slots). Then suddenly they stopped making the PS3 that way. I am sure this is just another ploy to get people to totally start over.

07D675CO
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM
What really pissed me off is I feel they have the technology to do this because the first set of PS3 were actually released to be backward compatible with PS and PS2 games (also came with SD card slots). Then suddenly they stopped making the PS3 that way. I am sure this is just another ploy to get people to totally start over.

I think you are probably right. My Ps3 is one of the later ones that is not backwards compatible so I have to play my old PS2 games on an emulator on my PC. I have a number of downloaded games that I would lose if I currently got rid of the 3 and picked up the 4. That is just BS. So I am holding off for now.

LambeauXLIV
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 10:47 AM
What really pissed me off is I feel they have the technology to do this because the first set of PS3 were actually released to be backward compatible with PS and PS2 games (also came with SD card slots). Then suddenly they stopped making the PS3 that way. I am sure this is just another ploy to get people to totally start over.

With the PS4, they changed from PowerPC based chips to x86-64. It does make it a bit more complicated to provide backwards compatibility. It's like having a book (the game) written in English, which the PS3 understands; however, the PS4 only understands French. So you need to either translate the book from English to French (re-compile and re-release the game targeting the PS4), or teach the PS4 English (an emulator of sorts -- resource intensive).

birchyboy
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Somebody will come out with an emulator add-on to handle the PPC to X86/64 conversion. Apple did it with OS X for quite a while.

bulldog
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Somebody will come out with an emulator add-on to handle the PPC to X86/64 conversion. Apple did it with OS X for quite a while. My worry is would Sony allow it. I have had a heck of time with all the “updates” they put out that pretty much stops all hacks. They even messed up my movies because they teamed up with Cinavia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia)and now every movie I stream through he PS3 Media Server plays for about 10 mins then I lose the sound. Doesn’t matter if I own the movie and just ripped it on my PC or download it I get that error. Feels like every week PS network releases another “update” so they are always on top of this.

t_jolt
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:14 AM
You guys should check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/news/comcast-lawsuit-modem-xfinity-hotspt,28191.html

Also just so you know, after confirming with some comcast IT people its not happening yet in denver, but im sure its only a matter of time.

Generic
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM
You guys should check this out http://www.tomshardware.com/news/comcast-lawsuit-modem-xfinity-hotspt,28191.html

Also just so you know, after confirming with some comcast IT people its not happening yet in denver, but im sure its only a matter of time.

Just to follow up on this, you don't have the ability to modify it on the modem/router settings. It's in a service menu they have locked down, you can call and ask them to disable it or do what I did which is get a Zoom cable modem and a separate router, it's more stable and you get better speeds plus you don't have to pay for their rental charge.

birchyboy
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:26 AM

It is happening in Aurora. I called a while back and had it turned off for my house. The XFinity WiFi app shows other houses in my area with the service running.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz330/Birchy_Boy/Stupid%20stuff/XFinityWiFi_zps7f45c970.png

#1Townie
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Nate I'm still on ps3. My plan last year was to go to the 4 but man I never play anymore. Can't really justify spending the money on something a rarely touch anymore.

07D675CO
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Just to follow up on this, you don't have the ability to modify it on the modem/router settings. It's in a service menu they have locked down, you can call and ask them to disable it or do what I did which is get a Zoom cable modem and a separate router, it's more stable and you get better speeds plus you don't have to pay for their rental charge.

Yup I have my own modem so they will not be getting me on this one.

Clovis
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 12:12 PM
There's a lawsuit currently in process over comcast turning people's wifi into a public hotspot.

It's kind of a good idea but ethically questionable if you ask me.

On one hand the 'infrastructure' is already in place.

But on the other hand Comcast is effectively pushing off "Tens of millions" in electricity bills to their customers. The models consume 30-40% more electricity under heavy use than if it was just the customer's modem alone.

Then there's the whole network security concern.

Now if Comcast gave a discount to offset those costs and you had to OPT IN as opposed to being turned on by default (remember when Facebook set everyone's profile to PUBLIC?) then I would be OK with it.

But as implemented, it's kind of shady and at best a grey area.

Clovis
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Hey PS4 guys and XBox guys... question for you.

So the last console system I owned was a Super Nintendo back in 1991 when I was 10 years old. I've (exclusively) used computers for gaming since 1994.

The main advantage with computers (for gaming at least) is they're upgradeable so you're never forced into using a 5 year old system with the next gen coming out "next year" or whatever.

But am I missing out? I've been looking at getting a 4K TV now that they've come down in price so much... to the point of only costing around 50% more than a 1080 TV rather than 500% more.

My basement has this badass home theater room with surround sound. Or rather it will... basement is nearly completed but I had speaker wiring installed in the walls/ceiling. Future mancave.

Wiring for two subs too :)

So for those who have used both a PC and a console; which is better?

Drano
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM

So the last console system I owned was a Super Nintendo back in 1991 when I was 10 years old. I've (exclusively) used computers for gaming since 1994.

The main advantage with computers (for gaming at least) is they're upgradeable so you're never forced into using a 5 year old system with the next gen coming out "next year" or whatever.

But am I missing out? I've been looking at getting a 4K TV now that they've come down in price so much... to the point of only costing around 50% more than a 1080 TV rather than 500% more.

My basement has this badass home theater room with surround sound. Or rather it will... basement is nearly completed but I had speaker wiring installed in the walls/ceiling. Future mancave.

I use my PS3 for most of my multimedia needs. It can do media streaming like Netflix and Amazon prime. It plays Blu-Ray and DVD, it has 3d compatibility and so on. There are only a few times that I use the PC I built for my entertainment system, but you can build one to do everything a PS3-4 does except for play the console-specific games. As far as which one is better, it comes down to what you want to use it for.

07D675CO
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM

All depends on what kind of games you want to play. None of the consoles are going to be able to push 4K video games. Xbone currently struggles getting 1080p out of a number of games. Consoles are just easier to get into. I typically play more social games on the PC and more solo type games on the consoles.

#1Townie
Thu Dec 11th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Also with console you want to watch how big that TV is with some games. Rock band and that works okay but if you get into anything with high refresh rates like fps or racing its going to suck.

Snowman
Fri Dec 12th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Was using Comcast's 50mbps connection for 58$ a month up to the time I deployed. Never had a issue with it or them.

Dumped the TV package over 2 years ago and got a Radio Shack 35$ Antenna. Have full HD quality on the local channels with 60+ channels.
Got a Chromecast for 35$ and anything on my computer or phone can be played on it. Can watch anything on any network at anytime for free off their websites. Plus the stuff on things like YouTube are getting pretty high grade. (Look up Nightwing the Series)

Have a PS3 and an X51 PC now. Looked at a PS4 but for what I can do with the PC, saw it as a better deal. Was getting into Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous after dropping my EVE Online account. SC and ED are incredible looking games and SC is still just in alpha.

Was thinking about an Oculus Rift after I get back. They are coming up on their public release and have seen it played with ED. Blows anything any of the consoles can do away.

#1Townie
Fri Dec 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I have really been playing with the idea of getting a PC just for eve. Why did you bail?

~Barn~
Fri Dec 12th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Interesting info... I must have the world's best Comcast package it seems. Their 25Mbps internet (which consistently outperforms that downstream). HD cable with an upgraded sports package. HBO, Showtime & Cinemax. A 2nd HD box for my bedroom. Month to month billing. Less than $75.00 monthly. Which is to say $74.58 monthly. :lol:

Only thing I don't have is a DVR, but haven't felt like I'm missing out on anything terribly, without it.

Snowman
Fri Dec 12th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Mostly because in EVE you can only PI in wormholes for so long before falling asleep...

Then I saw what Star Citizen (https://robertsspaceindustries.com) was up to and is was easy to walk away. In EVE you fly by spreadsheet, in SC its about piloting skills. There are no levels just what you naturally bring to the table. in Arena Commander, even at this alpha stage, it has far better combat and now you can even race their ships. The designer, Chris Roberts is the guy that brought you Wing Commander and now he has a 65 million (and growing) crowd sourced budget without any investors telling him it should be like the next bad DOTA2 knock off. He is completely open to showing how they are making the game.

I liked EVE but it is over 10 years old now. Star Citizen will be the next generation.

FZRguy
Sat Jan 10th, 2015, 10:21 PM
What you peeps doing now for ISP? I'm looking to switch from CL to Skybeam next month. Any feedback on their service?

Rabbie303
Tue Jan 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM
http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/766003244.png

birchyboy
Tue Jan 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Dang. You work in their data center? :)

Rabbie303
Tue Jan 13th, 2015, 04:37 PM
lol no, that's just the office speed. I can't even imagine DC speeds. But I'm not complaining.

The Black Knight
Wed Feb 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM
:D Got a bit of a boost...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/DNA_SWIRL_777/Speedtest%202015_zpswee88r0z.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4117543642

And yeah man that's just sickening. :up:

Edit:

2/6/2015 - Broke 180 this morning!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4121654507.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4121654507)