PDA

View Full Version : Tow lot release

sergio
Wed Dec 17th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Anybody know if there are any regulations which do not permit a tow lot to release a vehicle to a non owner? We were discussing towing in the office today and now I am curious.

TFOGGuys
Wed Dec 17th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I know when I had someone else pick up my vehicle from the tow lot, they had to have a notarized Power of Attorney to get it released.

rybo
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I had a rental car towed in Portland once. I was required to provide the rental contract stating that I had a right to claim the vehicle and proof of insurance along with my DL to release it.

Aaron
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 05:24 AM
I don't know if there are any official regulations if it's a private tow. I know if the vehicle was towed by Law Enforcement then it can only be released to a registered owner with license and insurance.

#1Townie
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Yes there is. Vehicle can only be release to the owner.

#1Townie
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Was having issues getting on the site today so I will get a little a deeper now.

As was said there is other ways of getting a car out but it is always a power of attorney. And even with that unless it was a company like a rental I wouldn't do it.

You deal with some strange situations with private tows and some very hostile ones. There is state laws that protect people from theft and even towing companies.

Getting your car towed can really suck. But trust me there is a boat load of laws and regulations that protect EVERYONE.

TFOGGuys
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Yeah, when I signed that PoA, I was in the ICU at DGH

sergio
Thu Dec 18th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys