PDA

View Full Version : Cop pull over protocol

UHATEIT
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:09 AM
I have never been pulled over by a cop on my motorcycle but I imagine plenty on the forums have been. I was riding on Alameda yesterday and noticed a bike pulled over by an offer and it got me thinking. I wanted to ask asbout the protocol of what you should do when pulled over.

When pulled over should you take off your helmet before the officer gets to you. Do you get off the bike and stand next to it before he gets to you. If asked "do you know why I pulled you over" do you admit it is you know it or say "No I don't know". What types of things do you say or don't say when talking with them.

Just gauging advice incase that time ever comes.

birchyboy
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
I've never been pulled over either. Personally, I'd shut the bike off and wait for them to ask/say something before I do anything. I keep my wallet in my inner jacket pocket. Reaching for it could easily be misconstrued.

#1Townie
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Pull over. Shut bike off. Remove lid. Wait for officer. Never admit to a crime. Its an instant confession.

JKOL
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
First off, I will never answer "do you know why I pulled you over" with anything other than NO. The officer knows why they pulled you over. There is no reason to offer up a reason to the officer, make them tell you. If you get pulled over for speeding but offer up that you forgot to signal when changing lanes, you just admitted to another traffic violation.

As far as what to do, birchboy suggested exactly what I have done in the past. Turn the bike off, put the kickstand down to show you aren't going anywhere as soon as the officer steps out of the car, and keep your hands out of your pockets, tank/tail bag, or backpack. I keep my hands on the tank until I am asked to provide something and then I will tell the officer exactly where my hands are going to retrieve the license/registration/insurance. No reason to make the officer more nervous by moving around a lot and putting your hands where they can't be seen.

Be POLITE. You won't ever improve your situation on the side of the road by being disrespectful or arguing regardless of the attitude of the officer.

Drano
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
After shutting off the engine I try to set up the proper environment for the officer by playing N.W.A. through my phone's speaker, and by making sure he/she is aware that I know my rights and have more knowledge of the law than they do. Usually they just say, "Good for you!" Then they walk back to their cruiser and leave. It works every time! ;)

GMR
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
"I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways"...shit, no wonder I have so many tickets. I think I stopped caring somewhere between my 3rd and 30th ticket... I've never been excessively harassed, so at least there's that.

I personally leave my lid on though. You're on the side of the road, vulnerable. Yeah, they should see the cop and move over but you never know... Why remove it unless they ask you to make sure you are who is on the license. I got pulled over on my way to a CSC wing night initiated by JMetz one night when I got popped on 104th Ave. SO many people we're rubbernecking me while I was just sitting there on my bike, it was ridiculous. Not many people in Westy know me anyways, but it's still annoying so I'll leave it on

#1Townie
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 02:52 PM
"I knew it was a crime, and I did it anyways"...shit, no wonder I have so many tickets. I think I stopped caring somewhere between my 3rd and 30th ticket... I've never been excessively harassed, so at least there's that.

I personally leave my lid on though. You're on the side of the road, vulnerable. Yeah, they should see the cop and move over but you never know... Why remove it unless they ask you to make sure you are who is on the license. I got pulled over on my way to a CSC wing night initiated by JMetz one night when I got popped on 104th Ave. SO many people we're rubbernecking me while I was just sitting there on my bike, it was ridiculous. Not many people in Westy know me anyways, but it's still annoying so I'll leave it on

Right up until the cop doesn't like something and cuffs you and throws your lid into the dirt.

GMR
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Right up until the cop doesn't like something and cuffs you and throws your lid into the dirt.

Well then that cop is a dick! I've never had a situation like that in all my times, so I find it highly unlikely

Jmetz
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
I'll recount my first and only ticket on the bike.

Come to a stop and turn off bike
Get off bike
Remove Helmet

Officer already yelling that I'm getting a ticket.

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: No I was watching you make an illegal u-turn behind me.
Officer: You were going 82mph any reason you're going that fast?
Me: The manual says the fun drive doesn't engage until 88mph.
Officer: I'll get your ticket.

Also so take pictures, cops love that. :D

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee511/jmetz9/7dad0941cbf72be6a2b55b4ed73c53b6.jpg

#1Townie
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
Well then that cop is a dick! I've never had a situation like that in all my times, so I find it highly unlikely

Took a trip to sac. Forgot all my stuff on my toolbox. Wallet reg and ins. Got busted doing a wheelie. Cop asks for info and I just out my head down and said I left it all in nv.

He grabbed me and threw me up against his hood. Got real aggressive. I just said sir I know I screwed up but I'm not resisting. He takes my helmet off and throws it in the dirt.

All in all the cop wasn't a total dick and just wrote me a ticket. But it does happen.

Aaron
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 08:18 PM
So I believe I'm one of the only Officers on the forum that actively posts, so when I speak of it, you should choose to listen (What movie?)

I don't stop bikes. But if I did. Pull over as far off the road as you safely can, and if on the highway, an exit ramp if you are close to one. Bike off. Kickstand UP, not down. Helmet off if it doesn't take long, and hands on the handlebars.

As far as the comments go, that's a lawyer talking, and lawyers have attitudes, which will irritate the cop. I don't ask if you know why I'm stopping you, but if I did, your answer is irrelevant. I wouldn't be stopping you if I didn't already have Probable Cause to write you a ticket for it. Answering "I was probably apeeding" won't hurt you at all, and I could argue it'd help you. I like honesty. I like people who can understand they did wrong, see why it's wrong, and drive a bit safer after the contact.

However, I don't ask people. My line is "Good evening Officer Aaron with the Police Department, the reason I'm contacting you is for your speed, I have you on laser at 62 in a posted 45 mile an hour zone. I need to see your license and insurance."

Cooperate, be polite, jokes are ok if not directed at the cop, and notify them if you're recording or have a large knife or gun. I don't mind you taking a picture if you want, but if you're going to get off your bike to, then ask and respect the answer.

Ph03niX
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
I don't stop bikes. But if I did. Pull over as far off the road as you safely can, and if on the highway, an exit ramp if you are close to one. Bike off. Kickstand UP, not down. Helmet off if it doesn't take long, and hands on the handlebars.

Is this because you want to make sure the person doesn't do anything suspicious/bad towards you? I'd feel like I was ignoring him If I did that. Good to know though!

Aaron
Mon Dec 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
Hands on the handlebars isn't a big deal, at least not after the initial contact. As an Officer I just want to see your hands because then I don't have to worry. So after I'm right up there with you on the tank is fine.

GMR
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 02:26 AM
Took a trip to sac. Forgot all my stuff on my toolbox. Wallet reg and ins. Got busted doing a wheelie. Cop asks for info and I just out my head down and said I left it all in nv.

He grabbed me and threw me up against his hood. Got real aggressive. I just said sir I know I screwed up but I'm not resisting. He takes my helmet off and throws it in the dirt.

All in all the cop wasn't a total dick and just wrote me a ticket. But it does happen.

Well that figures ;) a wheelie and no license/registration is a whole separate issue. He already decided he hated you at that point he saw you do a wheelie, and not having license/registration made it worse. They are so used to seeing speeders, when I got my ticket going to Quaker Steak I also didn't have my registration/insurance and left my helmet on and it wasn't an issue at all (except for further complicating things). I doubt he would have thrown your helmet in the dirt if he just pulled you over for speeding. I got pulled over in a GTR and the cop didn't even ask for license/registration, just said calm it down. What Aaron said, no hurt in admitting to speeding, no point in bullshitting. The times I've said I didn't know the speed limit was __ therefore didn't know I was speeding, it almost always ends in a ticket. When I admit I was speeding, I do still sometimes get off

#1Townie
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Well that figures ;) a wheelie and no license/registration is a whole separate issue. He already decided he hated you at that point he saw you do a wheelie, and not having license/registration made it worse. They are so used to seeing speeders, when I got my ticket going to Quaker Steak I also didn't have my registration/insurance and left my helmet on and it wasn't an issue at all (except for further complicating things). I doubt he would have thrown your helmet in the dirt if he just pulled you over for speeding. I got pulled over in a GTR and the cop didn't even ask for license/registration, just said calm it down. What Aaron said, no hurt in admitting to speeding, no point in bullshitting. The times I've said I didn't know the speed limit was __ therefore didn't know I was speeding, it almost always ends in a ticket. When I admit I was speeding, I do still sometimes get off

Oh I get it. Because I forgot to bring that with me on a trip and did a wheelie I deserved to have a very expensive helmet ruined.

Hahahaha yeah no hurt in admitting guilt on scene. But then again you could be dealing with a dick head on a power trip.

I would also like to point out according to Arron knowing your rights sounds like attitude. Attitude means more issues from cops. Why? Because you better do as the cop says. He is the law.

Fuck that. Admit to nothing. There is many ways to avoid that question. And no nothing you say can help you court. It can only hurt you. Period.

I am not saying when the cop comes up to be a dick to him. But at the same time you still have rights and you should use them. Cops should remember even at traffic stops they are public servants.

#1Townie
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:46 AM
http://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE
I love this video.

JKOL
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
http://youtu.be/d-7o9xYp7eE
I love this video.

I have seen that before, well worth watching.

Aaron
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
I would also like to point out according to Arron knowing your rights sounds like attitude. Attitude means more issues from cops. Why? Because you better do as the cop says. He is the law.

Fuck that. Admit to nothing. There is many ways to avoid that question. And no nothing you say can help you court. It can only hurt you. Period.

I am not saying when the cop comes up to be a dick to him. But at the same time you still have rights and you should use them.

I'm not saying knowing your rights means attitude, but often the two go hand in hand. Yes, you don't have to say anything and only have to roll down your window a few inches. Well if there was any chance of you getting a warning, it's gone now. And that burned out tail light I was going to just mention in addition to your speeding ticket? Well since you won't talk, neither will I. I'll just write it down after the speeding charge.

The supreme court has ruled a person's admission alone does not amount to probable cause for charges, the officer needs corroborating evidence. If you answer the why did I stop you question with because I didn't signal, I cannot charge you unless I saw you not signal. But then if I saw you not signal, your admitting it or not doesn't make any difference, I already have probable cause.

That video isn't bad, but it doesn't take into account that officers have discretion. Officers want to see your driving behavior change when stopping you for a traffic violation. What makes me think a simple warning will get you to change if you're not willing to apologize and admit fault? Jkol is right, you'll get a ticket every time. If that's what you want, so be it, but why read this thread at all? The entire point of this thread is etiquette so that one stands the highest chance of getting a warning.

UHATEIT
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
I handle car accident claims for a living and I am yet to see a police report that does not cite the party that is at fault (in colorado) wheras in California or other states I handle the cops find parties at fault but do not give tickets. What gives in CO??? It's bad enough that your day is ruined being in an accident, you have your deductible, and your rates will probably raise, but then the cops insists on giving a ticket.

When my wife was at fault for earending someone they made it worse by tacking on a ticket and the office told her it is STATE LAW that the at fault party needs a ticket. I call bullshit on that as other states even the extremely screwed up state of California they will not give citations (not all the time but most of the time)

Jmetz
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Good vid thanks for posting.

Aaron
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
It's not state law, it's just become common operating procedure with departments. There's no way to have an accident without one or more drivers violating a traffic law. And if your driving was bad enough today that it actually caused an accident, a ticket is believed to be in order.

I don't agree with the practice. My departments reasoning is how do we decide what drivers get tickets, and which ones don't? I see their point too, especially in today's world when people think it's all about race. It's becoming a world in which the Officer is losing discretion because there's always allegations. Won't be any allegations if everyone gets a ticket for everything.

I stopped a gangster a while back, and he had a restraining order and part of it says he can't drink. They are fairly common in RO's when a person has shown the courts they can't handle themselves when drinking. We arrest people all the time when they're causing problems because of their drinking. But the department has come to the conclusion that we HAVE to arrest because it's a judges order. So I stop this kid, and he says he's had a beer. He is respectful, and cooperative. Run him through roadsides and he passes without a signs of impairment. I check his record, semi ugly past but no felonies, and not even a traffic ticket in 2 years. Says he's been doing good, and working full time. Has to be at work at a machine shop at 8am, it's like 11pm now. An arrest means he's unemployed.

It's a crap situation, because an arrest will restart his criminal cycle. Our goal is to change criminal behavior, and by all accounts his was changing. But my department felt I should arrest him no matter what.

I ended up letting him go, and just prayed no one in my agency found out, and that my cover officers didn't rat me out. Luckily agency didn't find out, and my cover officers stayed quiet, but man I was worried for a long time over that, all because I did the right thing.

Woo_Who
Tue Dec 23rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
It's not state law, it's just become common operating procedure with departments. There's no way to have an accident without one or more drivers violating a traffic law. And if your driving was bad enough today that it actually caused an accident, a ticket is believed to be in order.

I don't agree with the practice. My departments reasoning is how do we decide what drivers get tickets, and which ones don't? I see their point too, especially in today's world when people think it's all about race. It's becoming a world in which the Officer is losing discretion because there's always allegations. Won't be any allegations if everyone gets a ticket for everything.

I stopped a gangster a while back, and he had a restraining order and part of it says he can't drink. They are fairly common in RO's when a person has shown the courts they can't handle themselves when drinking. We arrest people all the time when they're causing problems because of their drinking. But the department has come to the conclusion that we HAVE to arrest because it's a judges order. So I stop this kid, and he says he's had a beer. He is respectful, and cooperative. Run him through roadsides and he passes without a signs of impairment. I check his record, semi ugly past but no felonies, and not even a traffic ticket in 2 years. Says he's been doing good, and working full time. Has to be at work at a machine shop at 8am, it's like 11pm now. An arrest means he's unemployed.

It's a crap situation, because an arrest will restart his criminal cycle. Our goal is to change criminal behavior, and by all accounts his was changing. But my department felt I should arrest him no matter what.

I ended up letting him go, and just prayed no one in my agency found out, and that my cover officers didn't rat me out. Luckily agency didn't find out, and my cover officers stayed quiet, but man I was worried for a long time over that, all because I did the right thing.

Ya know, it's guys like you that give cops a GOOD name... lol
Seriously though, I feel that we need more Officers that understand the difference between the intent of the law and the letter of the law.

UHATEIT
Wed Dec 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM
That sounds like a good story of a good cop. I understand the reasoning at the beginning of the comment as well, but it really just sucks when it seems to be more common practice here than in other states. I've seen complete fatalities caused by blatant disregard and the cop does not give a ticket in the accident. Whereas my wife taps the rear of the car ahead and he gives a ticket about the cost of the damage caused and will stay on her record for 3 years. The other lady basically stopped at a yield sign thinking it was a stop and it wasn't and no traffic, icy in the morning and my wife slid. I would think a little slack could have been given.

#1Townie
Wed Dec 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm not saying knowing your rights means attitude, but often the two go hand in hand. Yes, you don't have to say anything and only have to roll down your window a few inches. Well if there was any chance of you getting a warning, it's gone now. And that burned out tail light I was going to just mention in addition to your speeding ticket? Well since you won't talk, neither will I. I'll just write it down after the speeding charge.

The supreme court has ruled a person's admission alone does not amount to probable cause for charges, the officer needs corroborating evidence. If you answer the why did I stop you question with because I didn't signal, I cannot charge you unless I saw you not signal. But then if I saw you not signal, your admitting it or not doesn't make any difference, I already have probable cause.

That video isn't bad, but it doesn't take into account that officers have discretion. Officers want to see your driving behavior change when stopping you for a traffic violation. What makes me think a simple warning will get you to change if you're not willing to apologize and admit fault? Jkol is right, you'll get a ticket every time. If that's what you want, so be it, but why read this thread at all? The entire point of this thread is etiquette so that one stands the highest chance of getting a warning.

I don't trust cops. Never have.. Never will. I will stick to my rights over cooperation all day every day.

They created the divide with their communities and now have to deal with it. While I was on the side of the cop with Ferguson doesn't mean i don't recognize a real problem with law enforcement.

I do respect you coming here and throwing out two cents from a officers point of view. I will just have to agree to disagree.

Oddibe
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I would like to ask if anyone has a suggestion on who I can talk to regarding a police misconduct / brutality incident. A CSP officer, in a state park, claimed I passed in a no passing lane, pursued me and performed a Pitt Maneuver while I was doing less than 10 mph pulling over to the side of the road. My bike was totaled, jacket, helmet, gloves and pants were damaged, and I lost my job as a result.

Email me at oddibe@gmail.com if you know of any attorneys you would recommend I talk to. Thanks.

koop
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 07:22 AM
This is just idle speculation without any empirical evidence and Aaron can tell me I'm wrong but....if a cop is set up and running radar, he's not doing it to give warnings. You're getting a ticket, so shut up and take the ticket. Don't admit to anything, don't engage. Now if the cop out driving around and you do something dumb in front of him, maybe you have a shot at a warning. Unlikely, but maybe.

Aaron
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I would like to ask if anyone has a suggestion on who I can talk to regarding a police misconduct / brutality incident. A CSP officer, in a state park, claimed I passed in a no passing lane, pursued me and performed a Pitt Maneuver while I was doing less than 10 mph pulling over to the side of the road. My bike was totaled, jacket, helmet, gloves and pants were damaged, and I lost my job as a result.

Email me at oddibe@gmail.com if you know of any attorneys you would recommend I talk to. Thanks.
As sure as I am that your actions played no part in what happened, CSP has an internal affairs process like any other agency. Call and ask them, and get a lawyer if you feel you need one. But remember, most CSP cars have dash cams now, so while you were a perfect little angel and stopped immediately with your hands in the air, the video footage may have been doctored to show quite a different story.

This is just idle speculation without any empirical evidence and Aaron can tell me I'm wrong but....if a cop is set up and running radar, he's not doing it to give warnings. You're getting a ticket, so shut up and take the ticket. Don't admit to anything, don't engage. Now if the cop out driving around and you do something dumb in front of him, maybe you have a shot at a warning. Unlikely, but maybe.
It depends on the Officer, completely. Personally, I rarely "set up" to run speed enforcement, but when I do, I go about 50/50 warnings vs tickets. It all depends on your attitude, the speed, etc. When you do something dumb in front of me, you're almost guaranteed a ticket. My theory on that is if you're paying so little attention that you didn't even see the police car, then a citation is warranted because you should be driving your best when the cops are watching.

However, CSP has a very different job than Municipal Police Departments, so you're much more likely to get a citation from a Trooper than you are from a Deputy or Officer.

One-ops
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Not to thread Jack completely but how does protocol work for groups of bikes speeding?

Slo
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Not to thread Jack completely but how does protocol work for groups of bikes speeding?

Not really the answer your looking for but for FYI....

Few years back on I25, group of us got pulled over by CSP, same one that everyone knows. We all got tickets for about 10 over. I was the only one that didn't fight it in court and paid the price. Everyone else went, fought it and won.

There were 6 or 7 of us I believe.

Aaron
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 12:06 PM
In a group of bikes, all should stop. Just like previous, just all pull off the road to the safest area immediately nearby, and stay on your respective bike.

One-ops
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM
So if bikes in frt get pulled over the bikes behind the cop stop? For instance group approaches cop he turns on lights and turns around. He goes past some of the bikes and idk how he choses who to get behind but he does. Everyone in frt of that bike and behind the cop should stop ? What happens if I dont? Or if I slow down and turn around ?

Aaron
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I personally would stop, I think that shows the most amount of respect and cooperation, however you're not expected to since he went around you but stayed behind the #1 bike. You won't have any problems if you slowly, quietly, and safely go around them once they stop.

Oddibe
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I never said I was faultless. The rookie trooper was not set up, was just pulling anyone & everyone over for anything, and him nearly killing me for an alleged passing violation is like chopping the hand off a kid for stealing a piece of candy.

I have the dash cam. There was no illegal pass. The stop was illegitimate. The officer is in the wrong for what he did. Excessive force. Pitt Maneuver on a motorcycle? I have police testimony that this is proper only in few, few scenarios. I'm not perfect, but I didn't deserve this. Cops are people, and people f up. This cop shouldn't be a cop. Wait till he kills the next biker.

RPMWFO
Wed Aug 5th, 2015, 10:14 PM
What is the protocol if a couple of bikes do a drag racing style launch to extra legal speeds from a stop light right in front of a state trooper?

Aaron
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:08 AM
So he alleges a passing violation, and then for no other reason just takes you out? I'm sure that's exactly what happened.

Why don't you share the video? Enlighten me. Show me how dangerous this cop really is.

There is no protocol in either one of these scenarios, we don't have policy telling us exactly how many sixteenths of a turn to turn the steering wheel when making a U-turn. I cannot answer every what-if scenario, I can merely tell you what I think I'd do given the most basic of information you provided.

In that case, if I was interested in contacting them, I'd probably just catch up to them and treat it like any other traffic stop. I'm guessing that didn't happen. But I also know you left out quite a bit of information that changes the circumstances.

I once tased a completely innocent guy who did nothing wrong, broke no law, was simply walking home with his groceries. And I tased him. Sounds pretty awful right? Think I could give you just a few more details that would change your thoughts completely?

Jmetz
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:16 PM

I deleted your same post in another thread as it will not get different results as your post here and there is no need to cross post. I'd also recommend making a new thread in the future vs. tagging onto an old one that's different from the information you are looking for.

Here is a thread on lawyer recommendations you may find helpful.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?53476-Lawyer-Recommendations

Oddibe
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Aaron if your goal is to cause me to respect police, you are failing miserably. I hope I meet the fresh cadet out of uniform someday. See how macho he is without his badge to hide behind.

Aaron
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM
No, because I've been doing this long enough to know you are incapable of changing your perception based beliefs. You continue to hate, cops will continue to PIT. We'll see who wins.

WolFeYeZ
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM
In a group of bikes, all should stop. Just like previous, just all pull off the road to the safest area immediately nearby, and stay on your respective bike.

Screw that man... Pull over one at a time every quarter mile so he has to choose one person. I have heard of way too many stories of a whole group of 10 getting tickets. Multiple bikes in one stop is just revenue generation bullshit.

madvlad
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:41 PM
That's what the fuck head cop at Morrison did to me. I pulled over for my friend as he signaled him to pull over and not me but out of courtesy I still did it, he gave us both tickets for the same thing.... ummm yea, how about never do that and pull over a bit ahead and wait for your friends. Opportunist pieces of shit

Oddibe
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I don't have a preconceived notion. My uncle is a Chief of Police in AZ. I have morning against good cops. I loathe bad ones that abuse the authority and cause the public to resent those who are there to protect and serve them.

madvlad
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I'd say about 5% of cops are worth having respect for, the rest can go fuck themselves for all I care. They overstep their authority just cause they know they can. Hell the ticket I got during that ride I came up with may cause me my job now and just cost me insanely (I am literally broke, I dk what I'm going to do to make bills now) and couldn't do payments cause they want even more fees per payment so I'd end up paying double the amount and also have to pay to serve community service (really?!?!?!) all this shit that just ruined me for the next few months and all cause he decided to overstep his power and fucking lie by pinning me with some exaggerated speed. I spoke with about 15 people outside the courtroom before they opened up (mostly cage drivers) and they all said the same thing and then I told them what also happened to me, so it's not like they said that shit cause of what happened to me. They weren't going over the limit all that much and that the cops that gave them the tickets definitely exaggerated the speed but weren't willing to show the gun cause the state allows them to say no, what kind of shit is that? Fuck that, so they can make up whatever speed and it's their word and that's the end of it... Yea, sounds legit.... I don't care who hates me for writing this but dealing with this type of shit numerous times would get to anyone.

Slo
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Funny how this all fits in with racism/resentment, couple of bad apples with beat cops and many hate the whole tree. I have seen the same against military personnel from a member that used to be on here.

I'd say about 5% of cops are worth having respect for

Society says the same regarding riders..... but probably less than even that 5%

Lets get back on topic before this gets outta hand. We don't need to turn this into why we like or don't like LEO's.... (coming from someone that went into the Marine Corps with 6 waivers haha).

madvlad
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I just read the last part of this thread when I came in but anyways carry on...

Spooph
Thu Aug 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Aaron, first and foremost, thanks for sticking your neck out. Also, pretty crazy how people change. I remember a time when you and I were at heavy odds on this subject, however, as experience sets in, it's funny how the roads start melding together again.

When I was young and dumb I got many, many tickets. I think I was 1 point away from losing my license for 5 years straight. I used to budget speeding ticket fines in with my insurance, tire and gas costs. I've carried an attitude with cops, I've been nice, blah blah. What it really comes down to is they are human, like we are human.

You think it sucks to get a ticket? They have to suffer with people with bad attitudes all day, to keep some semblance of civilization floating around. No, I'm not defending cops, I'm saying that as soon as you make universal statements about one group of people over the other, even with qualifiers, you are no better for it. There are good cops, there are bad cops, there are good people, there are bad people. The rest of us in the middle, we get to suffer whatever the previous person's consequences were.

I remember getting a ticket one time and thanking the officer "for doing business with him". He chose to smile at the jibe.

Another time I decided to try something new. No matter the ticket, I would make sure the officer left in a better mood than he did when he stopped me. I was courteous, polite and all that other jazz. I got a ticket. After being given the ticket I told the officer: "I'm sure you get a lot of people who hate you after getting a ticket, but I want you to know that I am not mad, and whatever shit comes your way today, I hope you can continue to have a good day. To show I'm sincere, can I buy you a cup of coffee, because I genuinely want you to have a good today, and feel good about who you are and what you do".

Some of you will think that silly, and very hippy dippy shit.

However, the officer declined the cup of coffee, but got into his cruiser with a smile. Even though I got another ticket, I felt good for the rest of the day as well. I decided I needed to find some side work to pay for the ticket. Which I did.

The moral of the story is: You choose your life path. You choose what upsets you, and who is responsible for your attitude. If it's everybody else, you are going to be one upset individual the majority of your life.

So, there is no set in stone rules of how to get out of a ticket. We all know the rules of the road. We all break them countless times. If you don't want to get burned, don't play with fire - there are many options around not to have to risk a ticket or worse on the road.