PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Grace on Weed Legalization; bad parenting or weed

bulldog
Wed Jan 14th, 2015, 01:30 PM
It's not everyday you get to hear HLN's resident overreactor Nancy Grace utter the words "Tity Boi": On Tuesday night's episode of Nancy Grace, the legal commentator engaged in a debate over the legalization of marijuana with rapper and pro-pot advocate 2 Chainz (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/2-chainz).

"I have two beautiful little girls and I'm a great father," the rapper said. "It's about governing your own household. It's about taking care of your own property. It's about having some kind of structure in anything, any drug."
In one of the rare moments where Grace allowed the rapper to get a word in, 2 Chainz added, "I'm not sure if you know, but everybody has the ability to get their hands on pot right now, whether it's legal or not. I just feel like if you legalize this particular drug you could cut out certain things in the criminal justice system as far as the overcrowding of prisons, as far as putting it on our criminal record to prevent us from getting loans, to prevent us from getting homes. Just the whole thing around recreational weed isn't making any sense to me."
Grace then grills 2 Chainz about the benefits legal marijuana would have on society. "We're in a deficit right now, we gotta try to find our ways on getting out," the rapper said. "So I figure if we got half of the states legalizing pot, if the rest of the community legalizes pot that frees up taxpayers' money. That allows us to do something with those extra funds as far as fixing everything from potholes in the street to a stadium, so I'm done with it."
Remarkably, 2 Chainz manages to silence Grace by relaying an incident (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/2-chainz-blasts-oklahoma-cops-20130904) where police stopped the rapper's tour bus after they smelled marijuana emanating from the vehicle. A miniscule amount of pot residue was found onboard, resulting in the police filing charges against the rapper's security team. The charges that were ultimately dropped, resulting in "a waste of taxpayers' time and money."
Ultimately, the highlight of the interview comes from the show's social media peanut gallery, with one person tweeting "How many marijuanas does it take to overdose? #Pot2Blame," a totally bogus question that HLN still put up on the screen alongside 2 Chainz.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/2-chainz-debate-weed-legalization-nancy-grace-20150114#ixzz3OpVf9ia5
EDIT: skip to 7:40ish for video of question on tot; weed or bad parenting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e25in2BNo48#t=351

bulldog
Wed Jan 14th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Now I know some people on this board are not in agreement with legalized Marijuana, but I'd like to get opinions if this is bad parenting or the drugs fault. I see a 2 year old being given pot by her mother and to me that is horrible parenting and not the drugs fault; easily could have been alcohol or even a cigarette and parents need to do their job!

P.S. In no way do I think a minor should be allowed to smoke Marijuana; I believe the age of consent is 18 or 21 here in CO.

Dasaxman6
Wed Jan 14th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Im all for legal pot everywhere, put that regulated money to use where it needs to instead of the black market. On the mom giving pot to their 2yo if it wasnt the oils or what not that help some young kiddos then yeah shame on them. And the legal age is 21 in CO.

bulldog
Wed Jan 14th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Im all for legal pot everywhere, put that regulated money to use where it needs to instead of the black market. On the mom giving pot to their 2yo if it wasnt the oils or what not that help some young kiddos then yeah shame on them. And the legal age is 21 in CO. I have watched the video a few times and I really cannot get Nancy Grace's point on this as all I see is bad parenting....granted like you said it was not a medical issue; but I know that is still very controversial, but I have read that certain kids have conditions they swear it works for....may have even been a Dr. Phil show :lol:

Aside from that, I don't see how this is any different than letting a kid drink alcohol, a kid handle a gun, or even a kid playing with a electrical outlet...parents need to do their job...period! Nancy Grace made no sense to me and I feel 2 Chainz had way more valid points

Drano
Wed Jan 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Now I know some people on this board are not in agreement with legalized Marijuana, but I'd like to get opinions if this is bad parenting or the drugs fault.

100% Bad Parenting. A person who chooses to blame the drugs is somebody looking to avoid taking accountability for his or her actions. Understandably, drugs can dramatically alter a person's state of mind to the extent that their decision-making skills are impaired, but that person had complete control over their decision-making prior to consuming the drug which negates any blame they can place on the substance. If they are an addict then that's a completely different can of worms. I can't say that I've encountered many addicts who felt compelled to get others high, mainly they are primarily concerned with satisfying their own addiction. At any rate, parents who are exposing their children to intoxicating/mind-altering substances are doing a great disservice to their child's development. In my opinion, marijuana is simply not something that should be consumed by children.

http://www.csam-asam.org/sites/default/files/impact_of_marijuana_on_children_and_adolescents.pd f

Five reasons exist for focusing on the impact that marijuana has on children and adolescents:

1. The brain continues to undergo important development up until the age of 25 (Giedd 2004).

2. Children and adolescents are at far greater risk of becoming dependent on marijuana, and dependence happens far more quickly.

3. Children and adolescents are more significantly affected by marijuana, even before dependence occurs.

4. Structural changes have been found in the brains of young marijuana users.

5. Subtle effects from marijuana on emotions and reasoning are increasingly being demonstrated in all marijuana users.