PDA

View Full Version : Garage Remodel

buddahson
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Hello Everyone,
I've been wanting to do a garage remodel since moving into my house last year. It's a three car garage, but the single and two car sections are separated by a wall. I'd like to remove the wall but I'm hoping someone can chime in on whether there is anything I need to watch out for, or if I'm stupid thinking this is something I could do myself.

Here is a link to some photos. Picasa is being crappy and not letting me link individual photos directly in this post.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112609752159577655175/albums/6136168660102349505

One shows the garage from the outside.

Two shows the wall from the two car side. The red line is to indicate what I believe is a load bearing beam that I will leave in place. The yellow sections are what I hope to remove.

Three shows the one car section. Colors indicate the same as above. There is power running down this wall from a sub breaker circled in orange. I believe I am capable of relocating this safely, but not sure if that is legal or requires a licensed electrician.

Four shows the sub breaker.

Five is the attic area above the one car garage. I don't see anything that would indicate structural issues if the wall is removed.

I've also been considering some sort of sliding door or partition option between the two bays. I like the separation when I have to do messy work like sanding or painting, but most of the time the wall is just a hindrance. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed, or pitfalls to look out for? Is this something I should really be hiring a contractor for?

Thanks,
Matt

WolFeYeZ
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Looks like a great idea. I just did this in my garage as the prior owner had installed a closet in the extra 1/2 car space in the garage. Pffft, need that room for my bikes.

As for a temporary divider, I have hung up this massive tarp from the rafters I bought at Costco as a separating wall and floor for painting. It was super easy and cheap.

teamextreme
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Before I looked at the pics, I assumed this was an addition, having a wall separating the bays, which means it would be a former exterior wall and be load bearing. Looking at the pics, I don't think that's the case. I think the PO walled off the 3rd bay to make a workshop, probably for woodworking to keep dust confined, which means it can just as easily be removed. I would consider retaining the small portion of wall that contains the subpanel, just to avoid some brain damage. It can be moved if you really want to, but it could result in a fair amount of re-wiring to re-pull all the homeruns to that panel. It was added to feed the workshop equipment so the majority of the wires from it probably go down the wall you are removing. There may not be much being fed out of it once you do that.

asp_125
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 05:04 PM
May also want to check the slab on either side of the wall, different heights or slope could be a pain in the ass to get equal or you'll have a step to deal with. Unless there's a foundation footer in which case you're going to be busting concrete anyway.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 05:57 PM
No way in hell would I consider this job without one of these HERE (http://Www.mo-door.com). :lol:

GMR
Fri Apr 10th, 2015, 09:37 PM
No way in hell would I consider this job without one of these HERE (http://Www.mo-door.com). :lol:

If I buy three, do we get the volume discount of having them set up for us? :bananna:

Ezzzzy1
Sat Apr 11th, 2015, 09:56 AM
If I buy three, do we get the volume discount of having them set up for us? :bananna:

We could totally get you setup! And we have a multiple discount so with your CSC discount and that you would be sitting pretty.

Shoot me me a message and we will go from there.

buddahson
Sat Apr 11th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad nobody sees major issues with this. I can confirm the floor slabs are even so there won't be any issue there. I think teamextreme is right and this was likely added after the original construction.

asp_125
Sat Apr 11th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad nobody sees major issues with this. I can confirm the floor slabs are even so there won't be any issue there. I think teamextreme is right and this was likely added after the original construction.

Actually probably the other way around, original construction would have a raised foundation footer designed into the dividing wall. I know of a friend in Louisville that has a 2+1 addition garage in an older home, his dividing wall has a foundation. The absence of one would indicate a plan change during construction before the foundation was poured. In any case, looks like you're free and clear to start swinging the sledgehammer.