PDA

View Full Version : Any Ducati mechanics in or around Colorado Springs?

Clovis
Sat May 30th, 2015, 08:26 PM
The dealerships in the Springs are telling me you have to go to Denver to service a Duck... does anyone have a mechanic they use?

Need to replace the front fork seals, left side blew out today.

madvlad
Sat May 30th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Those are common to blow out on those too... I heard there was some recall for it but not sure if it applies for yours. Check with the dealer

RandomTask
Sat May 30th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Yeah, either Erico Motorsports or Boulder Motorsports. But I have the tools if you wanna do it yourself

#1Townie
Sat May 30th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Those are common to blow out on those too... I heard there was some recall for it but not sure if it applies for yours. Check with the dealer

http://m.ducatiusa.com/services/recall_campaigns/index.do

FZRguy
Sun May 31st, 2015, 12:35 AM
Not Springs but I use Racers Edge in Lakewood for suspension work. You need to pull the forks yourself. Or Jim at TFOG for on the bike.

salsashark
Sun May 31st, 2015, 06:56 AM
Ahhhhh memories... :D

Fays was quick to take care of any issues I had w/ my strada. Including fork seals on the ohlins...

Recommendation: buy and keep an extra set of seals on hand. Mine only lasted around 5K.

Mac020
Sun May 31st, 2015, 08:38 AM
I think they will replace the seals at Rock Mountain.

Clovis
Sun May 31st, 2015, 12:36 PM
Randontask: Are you in close to the Springs?

I haven't called Rocky Mountain yet - will call them on Tuesday. This issue came up on a ride yesterday - noticed a small puddle of oil dropping from the front left fork while filling up.

Couldn't get to them before they closed but Apex and Pikes Peak were pretty insistant that none of the main dealerships in the Springs work on Ducati's -- Pikes Peak said they recently sent/sold their Ducati tools and sent them up to Boulder Motorsports.

From what I've read here and on the Ducati forums this is something I'll be doing fairly often. Fey Meyers (the only shop I could call that was still open) quoted $413 for the labor alone and said the seals were $120 to $170 typically. Granted, Fey is probably the more expensive option but I used it for a baseline. $600 for seals is about $200-300 more than I was expecting, even for a Ducati...

A few people recommended getting sealmate (www.sealmate.net) - as they claim the vast majority of "blown" seals are not actually blown but rather just have dirt in the seal, preventing a proper seal. Not sure if puddling indicates a leak or a blown seal. Anyhow, that's a $10 for the tool and shipping. Will try this too.

Taking the bike all the way to Denver from Colorado Springs to have this done, potentially 1-2 times annually doesn't sound all that practical so I'm thinking my options are:

1) Find a local mechanic - surely there's a Ducati tech out there who runs or works in a shop?
2) Get a trailer to trailer the bike up there so I can drop it off, pick it up later.
3) Get the tools, learn to do it myself. Doesn't look that hard.

I kind of like option #3 - that's why I bought a tire changer last year :) Too many expensive trips to the shop just to have tires put on.

Thanks!

Clovis

salsashark
Sun May 31st, 2015, 02:06 PM
:shock: that price went up a bit!

I had mine done twice. I paid for the first one, and then screamed until they warrantied the second set. I don't remember paying that much, but it was 5 years ago...

Bueller
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Oh those Ducati's are so sexy! LOL!!

Buy the tools and DIY. It shouldn't take a Ducati mechanic to do fork seals.

Aaron
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 12:42 PM
Ducatis don't need special tools, chances are you'll have everything you need if you have a decent spread of tools.

You will need a front triple stand that doesn't support from the forks but from the triple stem. You'll also have to make a seal driver, I use PVC and it works great.

It's an easy 1 day job if you have everything you need.

blaircsf
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 02:39 PM
Not sure about the Ducati part, but the Ohlins part does mean special tools.

Aaron
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 05:28 PM
Like what?

Wrider
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 06:05 PM
Inverted forks mean the you get to buy the extra long allen wrench to get in there and take them apart. No random spread of tools I've ever seen has that tool. Or a fork oil gauge.

#1Townie
Mon Jun 1st, 2015, 06:51 PM
https://youtu.be/cX7mASNcDVg

Aaron
Tue Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:01 AM
Inverted forks mean the you get to buy the extra long allen wrench to get in there and take them apart. No random spread of tools I've ever seen has that tool. Or a fork oil gauge.

I use a hex key socket adapter, so that solves that. And fork oil gauge is universal for any bike. After purchasing a bike, everyone should buy a hex and torx socket set, axle wrenches/keys, and locktite. Can do almost anything on a bike with these haha.

BadR6Man
Wed Jun 10th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Fork seals are fork seals. Buy the seals and fluid and diy.

rybo
Thu Jun 11th, 2015, 10:40 PM

There is nothing "special" about the forks because it's a Ducati. They are built and are serviced just like any other set of telescopic forks.

For the inverted fork you'll need some kind of spring compressor to get them apart - you can find a reasonably priced one for personal use here:

http://www.traxxion.com/Fork-Spring-Compressor-Kit-4017/

(there are other good, reasonably priced tools on here too

Also - I wouldn't spend the money for the special Ducati / Ohlins seals - Get these instead:

http://www.innteck-usa.com/products/fork_seals/

( I realize this is a general listing, but SKF for sure makes a part number to fit your bike)

blaircsf
Fri Jun 12th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Am I correct in thinking you need a special tool to get the cap off though (since it's Ohlins)?

RandomTask
Sat Jun 13th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Sorry for the late response. But yes, I am in northern C Springs.

Also, yes the forks do require a special tool to hold the spacer down while you separate the nut securing the cap (part #88713.0957). No you don't need a tool for the cap itself, standard hex nut. Of course you can make that tool yourself but much more work than it's worth if you ask me. (You cold always borrow mine)

RandomTask
Sat Jun 13th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Sorry, just caught that you said Ohiins caps. Yes there's a special tool for that. i'd get one from Dan Kyle USA. or you can use a set of pin pliers in a pinch

Bashed
Sun Jun 14th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Clovis,
Your bike is a 2010-2012 Multistrada S model correct?
If so those have a bit different bits in them than more normal type Ohlins forks.
First they have servo's inside to activate the valving on the fly.
The left is compression and the right is rebound, this is how they adjust to the different modes.
I would also be very careful as the electrical connectors on top are extremely fragile, so beware when disconnecting.
I would find a shop to take or send the forks to, removing & installing them my self.
The seals and or bushing aren't really the issue, it's the packaging that if assembled incorrectly, could not give the correct performance, or worse.
Just my thoughts on this matter.

BearcatRR
Tue Jun 16th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I didn't read through the entire thread, but I replaced the seals on my Streetfighter S last year (Ohlins) and it isn't too bad to do yourself. Order the seals from Kyle Racing (speak to Mike Wheeler)...I think that I paid about $60 bucks for the genuine Ohlins seals and oil. I have all of the tools in my garage if you want to swing by one day and we will tackle it together. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

rybo
Tue Jun 16th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I didn't even consider that they might have the electronic adjusters.

If that then the task is for sure more challenging. I've never personally worked on a set, so I have no good guidance to give.

Clovis,
Your bike is a 2010-2012 Multistrada S model correct?
If so those have a bit different bits in them than more normal type Ohlins forks.
First they have servo's inside to activate the valving on the fly.
The left is compression and the right is rebound, this is how they adjust to the different modes.
I would also be very careful as the electrical connectors on top are extremely fragile, so beware when disconnecting.
I would find a shop to take or send the forks to, removing & installing them my self.
The seals and or bushing aren't really the issue, it's the packaging that if assembled incorrectly, could not give the correct performance, or worse.
Just my thoughts on this matter.