PDA

View Full Version : Fair price on Tire install/balance?

GNGSXR
Mon Jun 15th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Where does everyone in the Colorado Springs area go to get tires mounted and balanced?

I will always bring rims/tires off the bike and purchase the tires from someone else.

Pikes Peak Motorsports charges $40 (or maybe even $44) per wheel. I forgot to bring my rotors once. They are necessary to balance the wheel on most balancers. When I delivered the rotors to them they charged me an additional $50 to put the rotors onto the rims which to me is absurd. It was the afternoon before a track day so I was kind of stuck.

Apex is a handful of dollars cheaper but I am curious if there is anyone else in town that does it for even less.

I understand tire swaps are one of those things dealerships use as a cash cow. It's quick and easy for them but i go through 2-6 sets of tires every summer. I may consider buying my own machine if the above mentioned prices are the industry standard cost.

TFOGGuys
Mon Jun 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Off bike, I'm $13.99 each with tire purchase, $25.99 each if you bring your own. Unfortunately, I'm not in the Springs...

As an aside, rotors have minimal effect on balance, as they are concentric with the bearings, and rarely are they out by more than a couple of grams, on a much smaller rotational radius than the tire. So, balancing with or without the rotors is pretty much a non-issue.

GNGSXR
Mon Jun 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM
They told me the rotors were required for the rims to properly mount on their balance machine. Not for actual balancing purposes.

Ill try to bring some small tire business to you next time in the golden area.

Matt
Mon Jun 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Buy the tire changing equipment, then become the tire mounting guy in Colorado Springs. A friend of mine did just that. He charged $15 to change a tire with the wheel off the bike, plus a $2 disposal fee. He recouped the cost of the tire changer and balancer within months. His machine was a manual machine, but it got the job done.

I would do the same if I had the room and the time. Changing tires is easy.