PDA

View Full Version : Bike shipping

madvlad
Thu Jul 9th, 2015, 01:32 PM
My friend wants to ship 2 bikes back to FL from here and they're charging her $500 each, is that a good rate? Which companies have people used here for shipping that are good in price and service?

longrider
Thu Jul 9th, 2015, 03:34 PM
$500 is actually a good price for here to Florida. The company I would recommend is Federal Motorcycle Transport http://www.funtransport.com/ But they would be $600 - $700

spdu4ia
Thu Jul 9th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I've used haulbikes (very pleased with them) and that price sounds about right.

rybo
Thu Jul 9th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I've used forward air for a number of bikes with good results. They have reinforced steel containers, so you show up with bike, tie downs and a couple of good locks and load them up.

I also had a bike shipped to me once on United Van Lines, and that was a very good experience, although considerably more expensive.

$500 per bike is a very fair rate.

madvlad
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I offered to rent a trailer and truck from u-haul and take them down there myself :lol: need a road trip and just fly back... not sure if the $1000 would be worth it lol

DriverDave
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I've also used haulbikes.com....twice, with great success. Both were from the mid-south (MO/TN) and both cost around $500.

Gramps
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I offered to rent a trailer and truck from u-haul and take them down there myself :lol: need a road trip and just fly back... not sure if the $1000 would be worth it lol

I would say no. We moved back to CO about a year ago now from our house in SW Florida and that drive is a bitch. No good way that cuts out any time and you have to traverse several fly over states.

salsashark
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM

It'll cost a lot more than $1K to accomplish this plan...

When I moved from CO to MD, my uhaul trailer cost $300'sh. Add that into a truck rental, gas, food, lodging and airfare back... Yeah, have someone else do it and save your vacation time.

Gramps
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM
One note of advice.

When you call a vehicle shipping service bike/car doesn't matter usually, they are brokers who hire independent truck drivers to fill the trailers. So be careful with who you call and if the price is really low there is a reason. Pick a quote in the middle range and make sure to ask questions. When they show up to load the vehicle be very demanding on the condition and expectation.

madvlad
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Alright nvm then haha, would have been a cool trip to take cause I've never been to FL and could've stopped by Kansas for some BBQ :D... I'll let her know of this info before she commits to a shipper and go from there, danke schön!

DriverDave
Fri Jul 10th, 2015, 02:43 PM
FYI, Haulbikes is NOT a broker. They have their own big blue trucks and only ship motorcycles.

spdu4ia
Sun Jul 12th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Yep haulbikes brought their own truck and it's a big one!

Gramps
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 04:48 AM
FYI, Haulbikes is NOT a broker. They have their own big blue trucks and only ship motorcycles.

That's good to know.

White wings
Wed Jul 15th, 2015, 02:47 PM
This is an issue that will span life as we all know it. Forward air is what I like unless there is a similar company using frame shipping containers. How much do you like the bike is the question.