PDA

View Full Version : 2007 FZ1 - Hot Wired, Not Starting

FZ1Guy
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Hi Jim,

Well MC was stolen this Sunday and recovered today this Monday. The thieves were unable to hot wire the bike to start. They cut the ignition wires just below the key switch.

Can I just use connectors to join or solder the wire together to fix the broken connections? Who knows what these numb skulls did to electrical system?

Thanks

Jeff

TFOGGuys
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Hi Jim,

Well MC was stolen this Sunday and recovered today this Monday. The thieves were unable to hot wire the bike to start. They cut the ignition wires just below the key switch.

Can I just use connectors to join or solder the wire together to fix the broken connections? Who knows what these numb skulls did to electrical system?

Thanks

Jeff

Chances are pretty good that you can simply reconnect the wires and have the bike run again. If you reconnect everything and still get nothing, check the main fuse on the starter relay (should be a 30 amp fuse). If that doesn't pan out, call me and we'll schedule to get it in.

FZ1Guy
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info... will be going over and try using connectors... will disconnect battery first before any work... then will check main fuse under seat. Will let you know what happens.

Jeff

WolFeYeZ
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I had the same thing happen on my Yamaha. Reconnected the wires and would still not start. They had fried the starter relay. Replaced and worked great.

Wrider
Mon Jul 13th, 2015, 06:33 PM
I forget who it was, but someone here in the Springs had that happen too, also on an FZ1. They stuck a screwdriver in the ignition and he didn't feel like replacing the ignition. We cut the wires and ran a switch under the seat to where it was locked. Yeah you had to take off the seat to turn the bike on, but nobody ever figured that one out even when they tried to take his bike again.

FZ1Guy
Tue Jul 14th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the stories.... I went to bike with my trusty electrical connection kit. Connected the wire back together, wrapped up with tap... It started up with no problems. I guess I'm lucky that the thieves were stupid!!! Or maybe it because Yamaha a built in immobilizer for just such an occasion?

Just so happy to have my motorcycle back.. :headbang: