PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Insurance Providers?

BushyAR15
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Was wondering if anyone knows of a company that will insure a motorcycle for a trackday?

When I took my car out to a track day I was able to buy one day track insurance. It was pricey like 250 bucks plus a 1k deductible. But the peace of mind was worth it...

TIA!

tecknojoe
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 07:18 AM
most policies cover it by default as long as it's not a timed racing event

BushyAR15
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for something more concrete as my research on the subject has yielded varying success rates making a claim on something like this. In the majority of the cases I found, the Insurance company did ultimately pay, but it was a long drawn out battle with insurance companies stuck on words like "closed course" or just the name of the facility having "race" or a form of "race" in the name...

Yeah, I know.. if I'm that worried about it don't do it or get a dedicated track bike... I do appreciate the response!

most policies cover it by default as long as it's not a timed racing event

tecknojoe
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 08:06 AM
I'm not one bit surprised. Every time I open a new policy, I make a recorded phone call and specifically address certain issues. That way I have the recording to refer to if I ever need it. Most people's tone changes very quickly when you tell them it's a recorded call, I wonder why

Good luck to you

big_sur
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Just send your insurance agent an e-mail and then you have it in writing that it's covered. I mean that's their job is to answer questions about your insurance. Make sure you note that it's not a timed event and it's not competitive. I definitely wouldn't be taking the Super Duke to the track if I didn't have that e-mail from State Farm tucked away.

asp_125
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Some policies cover closed course "instruction" ie an instructor led session. But for open lapping? :dunno:

~Barn~
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I just had this very conversation with Dairyland yesterday. As long as I am not participating in any sort of sanctioned race event, or anything that is related to stunt demonstrations, I'm covered by my policy. :up:

madvlad
Thu Jul 16th, 2015, 07:34 PM
I just had this very conversation with Dairyland yesterday. As long as I am not participating in any sort of sanctioned race event, or anything that is related to stunt demonstrations, I'm covered by my policy. :up:

So does that mean the F3 is coming out to play? :devious: :D

GNGSXR
Sun Jul 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Just send your insurance agent an e-mail and then you have it in writing that it's covered. I mean that's their job is to answer questions about your insurance. Make sure you note that it's not a timed event and it's not competitive. I definitely wouldn't be taking the Super Duke to the track if I didn't have that e-mail from State Farm tucked away.

I asked state farm the same question. They stated they do not cover vehicles being used on a race track regardless if it is a competitive event or just an open track day.

BushyAR15
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 04:34 AM
So, in my search I found that Foremost Insurance will cover track days. I spoke to the rep and tried to "round about" ask by saying; "Am I covered if I'm improving skills on a closed course or taking a riding school on a closed course"?

She replied; "You mean a track day". "Yes you are covered. There are no exclusions".

AND the best part is; "I saved a bundle on motorcycle insurance"! With 1 not my fault accident and one speeding ticket 2 years ago I was paying 1350 a year with GEICO for two new motorcycles. Foremost - less than half 650.00!

madvlad
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 07:26 AM
Geico and Progressive can suck it, I'd never do policies with them

BushyAR15
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 10:54 AM
When I was looking at insurance 9 years ago, GEICO had the least expensive motorcycle insurance for me. Over the years it just kept going up and up with zero claims on my motorcycle policy... I have had to make a claim on my autos with GEICO and they were quick and vehicles were repaired to my satisfaction... What didn't you like about GEICO?

Geico and Progressive can suck it, I'd never do policies with them

madvlad
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
Prices are ridiculous just like progressive too. I have only 2 tickets on my record since I've been driving. One in a car and one on a bike, that's it and they wanted to charge me over $160/mo for full coverage and over $100 on a 13 yr old car :lol: .... Allstate got me in at $60/mo full coverage on the SF and about $40 for the car. I'm no insurance expert but the same coverage for half the money that seems to me like they're jacking people and bad

BushyAR15
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 02:29 PM
Gotcha.. yeah you can see that I switched too...half the price and I'm covered for "Track Days"...

Prices are ridiculous just like progressive too. I have only 2 tickets on my record since I've been driving. One in a car and one on a bike, that's it and they wanted to charge me over $160/mo for full coverage and over $100 on a 13 yr old car :lol: .... Allstate got me in at $60/mo full coverage on the SF and about $40 for the car. I'm no insurance expert but the same coverage for half the money that seems to me like they're jacking people and bad

madvlad
Tue Jul 21st, 2015, 03:18 PM
Yep, just found out from my agent that Allstate dropped the track day coverage so guess the S.S voucher I have may go to someone else cause the duc won't see any track time.

big_sur
Fri Jul 24th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I asked state farm the same question. They stated they do not cover vehicles being used on a race track regardless if it is a competitive event or just an open track day.

Confirmed (again) with my agent that it's covered by State Farm as long as it's not " any type of racing or racing related event"

GNGSXR
Sun Jul 26th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Confirmed (again) with my agent that it's covered by State Farm as long as it's not " any type of racing or racing related event"

Lucky. Not sure if you have some sort of grandfathered option on your policy.