PDA

View Full Version : So just almost died.....

madvlad
Fri Jul 31st, 2015, 10:20 PM
After being home all afternoon naping and debating on a ride or not, decided to go out for some food and a quick ride, bike has been in the garage all week, figured what the hell it's Friday and beautiful out. After some grub, headed to my friends house and some retard on Mississippi and Sheridan decides to pull a u turn right in the middle of the street without consequence and not like he can't hear the bike cause this thing isn't exactly quiet, there's no way out and the MSF training kicked in, miracle of God and that class saved my ass cause I would've been absolutely done. Take the MSF classes people, it worth every penny. Took mine 10 yrs ago and still saves my ass to this day from situations like this. Sad as I am to say this but I am done on the street and to the track permanently I go. Id rather go out racing than by the hand of some idiot who decided not to pay atrention. Riding here didn't use to be as bad but now with even more retards it is absolute suicide. I encourage you guys to take the courses and even an intermediate/advanced course. Just like gear, it is part of safety and shouldn't be questioned.

Jmetz
Fri Jul 31st, 2015, 11:21 PM
That sucks man. I say shake it off and start expanding your riding horizons. There's no time like the present to start taking trips. The further you get away from the metro area the better.

madvlad
Fri Jul 31st, 2015, 11:40 PM
I try not to ride on the city all that much anymore because of this, I've had shit calls but this is the closest I've ever been to be taken out in 10 yrs of riding, it beats the hell out of me how I managed to save this thing by literal millimeters. I shook it off but this crap isn't worth it

FZRguy
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 12:58 AM
Close don't count. Same happened to me as I was on I-25 ramp at AFA (headed to PPIR), see this Jeep off the road to my right, shifting from 2nd to 3rd, tard pulls a U right in front of me. Max front brake, lock rear, missed him by inches. Estimate I had less than 100 feet to haul her down from 50. Made me real glad that I always cover the front brake lever with a finger or two.

madvlad
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 01:10 AM
Oh yea, hands are always on the controls and ready for anything. I don't ride with a hand off the handlebar anymore. What saved me probably was the reaction time as I saw him move left and got on the brakes as soon as I could react.

Gramps
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 07:19 AM
Just like gear, it is part of safety and shouldn't be questioned.

wait.............

You are the guy who was giving the group of guys I ride with crap about "going stupid in our full leathers" on the street. I just thought this statement from you was funny, I actually laughed out loud this morning.:lol:

Glad you're still in one piece man. I agree the traffic around here is the suck nowadays.

madvlad
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 07:49 AM
Ummm apparently you didn't get the part of sarcasm on that post and as I stated after that fact but glad you had a good start to the day with a laugh... there were 3 guys with full leathers on that ride I posted, my mind works very randomly, again did not call you euro trash on purpose (hell I own one), I was just sarcastically quoting whoever had said that before on a post and then about the misconception of hooligans in full leathers... some members here can attest to how random and sarcastic I can be. Again, my most sincere apologies if that offended anyone here or your group. I'll try and put a filter on what I post next time and proof read.... Yes, traffic is too much and it's technically rush hour from 6 am to 7 pm now.

Gramps
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 08:53 AM
Just giving you crap man. :lol:

It was just too perfect to pass up.

madvlad
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 09:13 AM
My bad man, just still irked about last night but well played sir :lol:

Ezzzzy1
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 09:35 AM
Cars doing U turns are a bikes nightmare. I got pinched once by it and watched a buddy smash into the back of a car as a result of one.

Both times the person doing the U turn had no idea that they even caused the accidents. Both times the car directly behind the car doing the U turn swerved over to the next lane causing the motorcycle accident.

j0ker
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 09:37 AM
Glad you are ok! Don't give up on street, come out further from the metro!

BushyAR15
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 01:48 PM
Glad nothing happened. I too have noticed lately people are driving like 'hards. Last weekend over by Pleasant Park some dumbs pulls from behind this truck facing me and goes to the left which is head-on with me instead of going to the right. Thankfully I wasn't going fast or I'd have been a Tacoma hood ornament. But thats just one example. Seems like near-misses are indeed becoming more frequent...

Slo
Sat Aug 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM
Glad your ok Madvlad....

On another note, a rider almost took himself out. Was going down Harlan with the trailer, had to turn left into a driveway, about two seconds before turning, rider comes out of nowhere all impatient and decides to pass on the other oncoming lane. Same lane I was going to cross over to get into the driveway.

tecknojoe
Sun Aug 2nd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Glad ur in one piece

I'd really like to find time to develop an automatic, always on, motorcycle dash cam.

Spooph
Sun Aug 2nd, 2015, 08:59 PM
Madvlad, you obviously have your head on straight. Education, education, education. When I was transferring bikes Saturday I came up on a rider who was covering his controls so well, he was dragging the back brake. Pulled up next to him at a stop and pointed it out to him. He was obviously new, and riding with a more experienced rider, who wasn't teaching particularly good lane position, etc, etc. However, it's a free country.

I think this brings up the point that the public roads are just that, public, filled with moronic public of all types in all kinds of vehicles... On the same ride home I described above, I also saw a semi intentionally swerve into a car as the semi's lane was changing. Semi had his turn signal on, but oblivious driver from Cali didn't notice for miles, so, Semi woke the driver up. When I passed the driver I checked for a cell phone, there was none, just shook my head at him.

So, obviously your choice, and if you want to stay off the street that is your every right, however, I'm going the route of a slower bike.

No, a slower bike isn't safer, however, it will be less of a temptation to be the impatient sport biker and get myself into dangerous situations. Kicking back and relaxing on the public roads is the way to go, and I find it terribly difficult to do on a sport bike, affirmed once more, by riding a Daytona 675 and Ninja 250 back-to-back.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Aug 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Glad you're ok Damir! Yup, it pays to have education....and street experience. Me, I HATE living in or near the city, and avoid riding there at all if I can. I ride thru the city, usually on the freeways, ONLY to get to the mtn's. Sometimes it's unavoidable and extra vigilance can save your ass. After riding for over 30 years, I'm convinced that you as the rider can work to avoid almost all of the accidents, but not 100% of them. Some are so severe and unexpected, with zero escape routes, that all you can do is mitigate the result with gear and what avoidance you can take. Me, I love riding in the West and in the mtn's so much that I cannot ever give up riding on the "street", but simply avoid the crowded roads and idiots the best I can, with my gear on.

Be safe and best wishes out there folks!