PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti G35 - AC Works Sometimes

G35CO
Tue Aug 18th, 2015, 01:48 PM
The last couple days my Infiniti G35 AC start acting up. It works sometimes and when it doesn’t the compressor start and stop immediately. I think I have restriction somewhere or a bad compressor.

Anyone can help diagnosing/fixing the problem or have set of automotive AC gauges?

Slo
Tue Aug 18th, 2015, 06:53 PM
No help from me....but still good to see you around.

G35CO
Tue Aug 18th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Hey Slo

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 08:32 AM
I just went through a few issues with AC. The first problem was a series of relays failing, causing the battery to drain overnight. What a pain because I replaced the battery and started thinking electrical. Once I figured out (forum searches) that this was actually a common problem I simply ordered the correct relays and that worked. Unfortunately it also caused the system to overheat resulting in a complete dump of the refrigerant.

When I went to get the refrigerant filled the jack wagon that I spoke to arrogantly told me "its full, you have bigger problems. You can pay us to tell you what they are". HA. I have been taking my Hondas to the same Master Technician (top 20 in Honda) for 15 years. Basically, taking your car to get the AC refilled can be hit or miss. My guy doesnt have the equipment at his home shop to do AC fills and its kind of a technical process.

I thought all was good after that but 2 weeks later the system started working for a while and then it would stop, then a week after that it completely stopped working. Turns out the field coil (magnet that engages the clutch) failed. So, another $300 and now its all working.

This was my first go with AC problems but they can be a pain. Im not familiar with your car but looking to see if the clutch is engaging would be a good place to start. If the clutch isnt engaging then its probably the magnet. If it is engaging then it could be the clutch or the compressor.

Not sure if any of that will give you some direction. :dunno:

G35CO
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info. Before i take it to a shop i would like to see what's the high and low pressure. I want to see if the AC stops because of high or low pressure.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Is it working when the temperature is low and then when it heats up does it quit?

In other words, do you think its heat related?

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 09:44 AM
And, when the AC is not working but the system is on, is the AC clutch engaged?

G35CO
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 09:58 AM
It works fine in lower temps until it suddenly stops. When it stops I turn off the AC and turn it back on but it doesn’t trying to engage the compressor. If I turn off the car and restart it the compressor will engage for a split second and stop.

In very hot days the compressor will engage for a split second and stop.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 10:08 AM
It works fine in lower temps until it suddenly stops. When it stops I turn off the AC and turn it back on but it doesn’t trying to engage the compressor. If I turn off the car and restart it the compressor will engage for a split second and stop.

In very hot days the compressor will engage for a split second and stop.

I would bet its the coil. Purely a guess, but thats what my car was doing after I replaced the relays.

It could actually be a combo issue between the coil and the clutch plates. IE the coil is engaging partially but the clutch plats are worn down. Hence the system working when its cooler and then sporadically when its hot.

How old is the car? How many miles?

G35CO
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 10:19 AM
2003 with 114k

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Oddly enough, my car had 115k.

See if there is a way to have the coil tested. The coil, when powered, magnetically pulls on the clutch, engaging it.

G35CO
Wed Aug 19th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Sounds good. I hope it's something simple and cheap.

Thanks for your help so far!