PDA

View Full Version : Elliot (Ragin' Cajun) purposely run off the road in Golden Gate canyon Mon 10/12/2015

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Some f#cktard in a black BMW (3 series maybe?) with tinted windows ran Elliot into a ditch on Monday morning about 6:30AM heading towards Golden on his way to work. Deliberate as hell, and the guy just drove off. He has a full AC shoulder separation, and a broken bone in his wrist. He was in the hospital Monday until Tuesday afternoon, he's home now. No internal injuries luckily but obviously he's in a lot of pain. He's got no health insurance, so this f#cktard BMW driver did a real financial number on him. Oh, and his bike is most likely totalled.

The cops and......"concerned citizens".....are looking for this guy. He lives in the canyon, drives it on his way to/from work at that time, and he's probably done this to other riders....and will again. Needless to say this attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, reckless driving, fleeing the scene, etc. behavior is totally unacceptable.

If you have Ellliots cell# or are friends with him on fb I'm sure he'd appreciate the well wishes.

Wrider
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Jesus... Well let's all head up there and let him know what we think of his fucktardery.

~Barn~
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Damn, that's crazy. I hope Elliot heals completely and they catch the person!

Slo
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah this sucks for Elliot, no time is good but this one is definitely not good timing.

Any more details on the scenario? Was the BMW following him down GG and there was an altercation and actual contact?

~Barn~
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I'm guessing he got bushwhacked. Elliot (I'm pretty certain) always rides with his roscoe at his side, so a preemptive altercation sounds unlikely. I would have thought he'd gotten off some shots. :dunno:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Elliot was following the f#cktard, who was sitting behind a slower truck coming down. The BMW wasn't making any move to pass the truck, so Elliot passed both. Next think he knows, the f#cktard had gotten around the truck and was inches off his back wheel, then passes him, and then brake-checks him. Elliot went into the other lane to get around him and put distance on him and the guy swerved completely into the other lane to put him in the ditch on the way, and then just drove off. Sadly, he was not able to get a shot off.

Sully
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Perhaps the driver of the truck saw what happened and can be a witness? Is that who stopped to help Elliot?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Perhaps the driver of the truck saw what happened and can be a witness? Is that who stopped to help Elliot?
The truck driver stopped to help, and Elliot was kind of foggy (understandably), and told the guy thanks but he was calling for help, and so the guy left. The driver didn't see the accident itself, but could probably give a better description of the BMW. Elliot just didn't think of that at the time. Hopefully we can find the truck driver to help find the f#cktard. Elliot can't be sure if he was actually hit or just forced into the ditch.

For a "lessons learned", In these cases, probably best to actually make contact with the car, no matter how you might want to try and avoid it, simply so there's actual evidence in the form of a damaged car. That way the cops can look for damage, and notify all the body shops to report it. Also, get all the contact info of anyone that even MIGHT have seen something. You never know what little bit might help the cops catch the guy.

~Barn~
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 02:25 PM
<Snip...> For a "lessons learned", In these cases, probably best to actually make contact with the car, no matter how you might want to try and avoid it, simply so there's actual evidence in the form of a damaged car.

That's actually the same take-away I had. As riders I think it's imperative that we start focusing on colliding with vehicles that we share the road with, who are acting aggressively, rather than doing what you can to avoid the incident. Physical evidence is crucial for there to be any hope of punitive action.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM
That's actually the same take-away I had. As riders I think it's imperative that we start focusing on colliding with vehicles that we share the road with, who are acting aggressively, rather than doing what you can to avoid the incident. Physical evidence is crucial for there to be any hope of punitive action.
LOLZ I don't mean to just run into the side of them (unless you LIKE to - Barn :) ) if you can avoid them AND the ditch, but if you know there's no way to save it, without a mark, and witnesses, it's just your word against theirs.....

~Barn~
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I know-I know... I'm mostly just fucking with you. I realize that it's nonsensical to get into an intentional wreck, and definitely please nobody takes my comments as any sort of indictment of how Elliot was riding. I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened but all that really matters is that he gets his injuries sorted and then hopefully justice will be served.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I know-I know... I'm mostly just fucking with you. I realize that it's nonsensical to get into an intentional wreck, and definitely please nobody takes my comments as any sort of indictment of how Elliot was riding. I wasn't there, so I have no idea what happened but all that really matters is that he gets his injuries sorted and then hopefully justice will be served.
I know, I just....ah....wanted to clarify what I meant. :) It's a sad situation we could very well find ourselves in. I've had people swerve at me, luckily I had a way out, and I don't think they actually really tried 100% to hit me. One guy definately put me on the sidewalk a couple times. Small town, I found him later..... ;)

Ph03niX
Wed Oct 14th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Sorry that happened to him.. That really sucks. Feel better Elliot! I'm always ready to put a boot into someones door but this makes me want steel toed boots.

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 15th, 2015, 08:53 AM
What an asshole (the BMW driver, I mean :) ). I'm beginning to think that a video camera (or two) should be thought of as required equipment these days. And when they catch these jackasses they need to be locked up for a long time.

Elliot, glad to hear that you came out relatively ok considering what happened.

Bueller
Thu Oct 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM
http://www.buymobius.com/

Probably a better idea than letting some one hit you for evidence.

These can be fitted with different lenses but out of the box it works pretty good for less than $100 and small and light enough I can carry it on a small RC aircraft. Even has motion detection capability.

Clovis
Thu Oct 15th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I run with 2 hard wired GoPros mounted forward and aft - not specifically for this reason but definitely one of the "plus's".

I'll upload the video of Golden Gate from last weekend's CSC ride... ;)

dirkterrell
Fri Oct 16th, 2015, 09:09 AM

That thing has all sorts of nifty features. I think I'll get one and try it out on the VFR.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Oct 16th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Probably a better idea than letting some one hit you for evidence.

These can be fitted with different lenses but out of the box it works pretty good for less than $100 and small and light enough I can carry it on a small RC aircraft. Even has motion detection capability.
Totally agree. Unfortunately, we don't all have cameras, and I know Elliot doesn't. Also, unfortunately, if there is no evidence, realistically, no crime was committed and it was a single-vehicle accident..... Thanks for the link though, I'm sure some of us will use it!

Sad that the world has come to this, but from the number of dashcam videos from Russia, maybe that's what we should do on the bike or in the car ALL the time.

Bueller
Fri Oct 16th, 2015, 12:31 PM
That thing has all sorts of nifty features. I think I'll get one and try it out on the VFR.
I usually just velcro it on to whatever, but if you get vibration (jello) in video you can dampen it with 2 sided electronic adhesive squares, or you can use a 1/4"-20 stud.

madvlad
Fri Oct 16th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Did the truck driver happen to catch the license plate? If so I may be able to look him up at work

FZRguy
Sun Oct 18th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Hope you're feeling better Elliot. If this BMW driver lives in the canyon and commutes to town around that time, perhaps a stakeout is in order.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 19th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Hope you're feeling better Elliot. If this BMW driver lives in the canyon and commutes to town around that time, perhaps a stakeout is in order.
It's thought that he does, as nobody else would be heading East on that road at that time..... ;)

FZRguy
Mon Oct 19th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Pretty sure Elliot could ID this same vehicle if he were to see it again. I'd go looking for it in the local neighborhoods asap if this happen to me. If he can get help from Jeffco in the form of BMW sedans registered in the canyon, it won't be that hard to find. Most folks living up GG drive SUVs and trucks, not black BMW sedans. Police won't bother with his case without solid proof. His only hope is to find the truck driver to collaborate his story and sue the BMW driver in Civil court for medical + pain and suffering. Two days at Holy Tony's with his injuries is going to be very expensive.

WolFeYeZ
Mon Oct 19th, 2015, 10:56 PM
I wonder if the local news would pick up this story after the same thing happening in Texas? Could help to find the guy, or at least make him feel like shit enough to not do it again.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Oct 19th, 2015, 11:24 PM
I wonder if the local news would pick up this story after the same thing happening in Texas? Could help to find the guy, or at least make him feel like shit enough to not do it again.

That right there is a good idea.

Wear your CSC shirt if they interview you Elliot! :lol:

Spooph
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Pretty sure Elliot could ID this same vehicle if he were to see it again. I'd go looking for it in the local neighborhoods asap if this happen to me. If he can get help from Jeffco in the form of BMW sedans registered in the canyon, it won't be that hard to find. Most folks living up GG drive SUVs and trucks, not black BMW sedans. Police won't bother with his case without solid proof. His only hope is to find the truck driver to collaborate his story and sue the BMW driver in Civil court for medical + pain and suffering. Two days at Holy Tony's with his injuries is going to be very expensive.

Somebody's just gotta sit at the bottom of the canyon and watch for the cars coming down, the same way cops can sting sport bikes. We know it happened around 6:30, so if somebody's at the bottom of the canyon by that time, grab the plates of every black BMW 3-series (and look for any damage) and start investigating... of course, the only option is for the guy to confess, unless there is damage to the car. The damage would be to the driver side rear quarter panel...

Now let me state the obvious. Who has time for that? And there lies the rub...

UHATEIT
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 04:07 PM

Working in insurance I can tell you that as far as Colorado law is concerned, you do not have to have physical contact with the other vehicle to be able to collect for an uninsured motorist claim. If someone swerves at you but they do not hit you there does not have to be physical contact evidence to collect on the claim. So if he has uninsured motorist coverage it will extend for his injuries and pain/suffering. ALSO, if he has that coverage on his automobile, it will also extend as excess coverage on top of whatever uninsured motorist coverage he has on the motorcycle. That's Colorado law.

As an example, if you have Uninsured Motorist coverage for $50,000 on your motorcycle, that would be used first for your medical bills. If you have say $250,000 Uninsured Motorist coverage on your automobile. It will extend (float) on top of the $50,000 you already have for a maximum total of $300,000 for your medical bills and pain/suffering.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM
"Holy Tony's" Bwahahaha! :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Working in insurance I can tell you that as far as Colorado law is concerned, you do not have to have physical contact with the other vehicle to be able to collect for an uninsured motorist claim. If someone swerves at you but they do not hit you there does not have to be physical contact evidence to collect on the claim. So if he has uninsured motorist coverage it will extend for his injuries and pain/suffering. ALSO, if he has that coverage on his automobile, it will also extend as excess coverage on top of whatever uninsured motorist coverage he has on the motorcycle. That's Colorado law.

As an example, if you have Uninsured Motorist coverage for $50,000 on your motorcycle, that would be used first for your medical bills. If you have say $250,000 Uninsured Motorist coverage on your automobile. It will extend (float) on top of the $50,000 you already have for a maximum total of $300,000 for your medical bills and pain/suffering.

Awesome info, I just sent it to him, thanks much! Hopefully he HAD Uninsured motorist coverage.....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Now let me state the obvious. Who has time for that? And there lies the rub...
Eliot can't work now, and I think his roomie has time..... ;)

UHATEIT
Tue Oct 20th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Awesome info, I just sent it to him, thanks much! Hopefully he HAD Uninsured motorist coverage.....

Good stuff! Uninsured motorist on motorcycles is a very expensive coverage. Since chances are if you go down you will be badly hurt and the state minimum liability limits in Colorado are only $25000. So chances are whoever hits you would not have enough coverages for severe injuries caused while on a bike. But to all who are reading this, carry good underinsured coverage on your automobile because it will carry over to your motorcycle if you are hit. And the coverage is much much cheaper on a car since you are less likely to be injured badly while in a car rather than while on your bike. Hopefully the information you pass along to him will be able to help him somewhat depending on how much coverage he has.

Spooph
Wed Oct 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
Good stuff! Uninsured motorist on motorcycles is a very expensive coverage. Since chances are if you go down you will be badly hurt and the state minimum liability limits in Colorado are only $25000. So chances are whoever hits you would not have enough coverages for severe injuries caused while on a bike. But to all who are reading this, carry good underinsured coverage on your automobile because it will carry over to your motorcycle if you are hit. And the coverage is much much cheaper on a car since you are less likely to be injured badly while in a car rather than while on your bike. Hopefully the information you pass along to him will be able to help him somewhat depending on how much coverage he has.

Great info! Is this still the case if the motorcycle policy is with a different company than the auto insurance policy?

UHATEIT
Wed Oct 21st, 2015, 10:32 AM
Great info! Is this still the case if the motorcycle policy is with a different company than the auto insurance policy?

I believe that is still the case even if you are with a different insurance carrier but not 100% certain, it is actually a Colorado statute that the UI/UM through your auto will extend to your motorcycle but as excess over whatever coverages you have with your motorcycle policy. I have handled cases for excess BIUI coverage when the initial liability policy has run out for a progressive motorcycle policy and we had the auto policy with nationwide so I am assuming that it would be the same for other carriers. You'd have to check the wording in the policy or ask your agent. But this is a common thing here in Colorado as it was put into law a while ago that underinsured motorist coverage would extend to a motorcycle policy.

Basically anything you have on your motorcycle policy is primary and then when that runs out your automobile will extend as excess and float on top of the motorcycle policy limits. I believe it only applies to uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages but may also apply to your medical payments coverage if you have that. In Colorado it is a requirement that medical payments be offered on an out policy and at a state minimum of $5000 and the only way not to have it is to sign a waiver that you do not want it. I am not sure if the auto medical payments also extends to the bike but it might and checking with the agent would be a good idea.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of garbled information, but some carriers are different than others but talking with the agent to confirm what you have on your bike vs you car and what will extend is a good conversation to have. As mentioned earlier, Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle is SUPER expensive as you are likely to be badly hurt on a motorcycle. But Underinsured coverage on a car is not as expensive since you are likely to be as hurt inside of a car. But since the coverages extend over to your motorcycle, it is BEST to get as high of UI/UM coverage as you can get on your automobile. medical Payments and Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle are the most expensive coverages to get since it is likely if you go down you will get hurt. Some companies are aware of this and all together do not even offer Medical Payments on their policies for motorcycles since there is a high probability of payout in an accident. In California where it is super high to have a crash on a motorcycle, companies do not even offer that type of coverage anymore since its basically a given that it will come into play in a crash and crashes in CA are so common.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 21st, 2015, 01:05 PM
I believe that is still the case even if you are with a different insurance carrier but not 100% certain, it is actually a Colorado statute that the UI/UM through your auto will extend to your motorcycle but as excess over whatever coverages you have with your motorcycle policy. I have handled cases for excess BIUI coverage when the initial liability policy has run out for a progressive motorcycle policy and we had the auto policy with nationwide so I am assuming that it would be the same for other carriers. You'd have to check the wording in the policy or ask your agent. But this is a common thing here in Colorado as it was put into law a while ago that underinsured motorist coverage would extend to a motorcycle policy.

Basically anything you have on your motorcycle policy is primary and then when that runs out your automobile will extend as excess and float on top of the motorcycle policy limits. I believe it only applies to uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages but may also apply to your medical payments coverage if you have that. In Colorado it is a requirement that medical payments be offered on an out policy and at a state minimum of $5000 and the only way not to have it is to sign a waiver that you do not want it. I am not sure if the auto medical payments also extends to the bike but it might and checking with the agent would be a good idea.

Sorry if this seems like a lot of garbled information, but some carriers are different than others but talking with the agent to confirm what you have on your bike vs you car and what will extend is a good conversation to have. As mentioned earlier, Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle is SUPER expensive as you are likely to be badly hurt on a motorcycle. But Underinsured coverage on a car is not as expensive since you are likely to be as hurt inside of a car. But since the coverages extend over to your motorcycle, it is BEST to get as high of UI/UM coverage as you can get on your automobile. medical Payments and Underinsured coverage on a motorcycle are the most expensive coverages to get since it is likely if you go down you will get hurt. Some companies are aware of this and all together do not even offer Medical Payments on their policies for motorcycles since there is a high probability of payout in an accident. In California where it is super high to have a crash on a motorcycle, companies do not even offer that type of coverage anymore since its basically a given that it will come into play in a crash and crashes in CA are so common.
EXCELLENT info, thanks! I'll forward this as well.

FZRguy
Wed Oct 21st, 2015, 02:23 PM
Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage extends to bicycle riders and pedestrians as well.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM
Uninsured and Under-Insured coverage extends to bicycle riders and pedestrians as well.
Damn! And here I was going to splatter a jaywalker tonight for an ATGATT(!!!) violation and for being a jaywalking piece of shit..... LOL