PDA

View Full Version : Shop in the dirty South

birchyboy
Sun Mar 6th, 2016, 07:19 PM
I called the Phil Long service center down here. I asked for an oil change price and the guy asked which engine. I told him V-10 and he asked how many liters; I told him 6.8. He then said about $120 or $140. After I picked my jaw up I asked him why so much, and he said because of the volume of oil. After I told him it only takes 6 to 6.5 quarts, he said it would be $40ish. Yeah, I'm not going there.

Now that we're in the dirty South, I need a good, reputable auto mechanic. I want to start with some PM services - brake system flush, oil change, etc. It would be nice to have a shop that can do everything at a reasonable price. Any recommendations?

Captain Obvious
Sun Mar 6th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I took my Jeep to Steve Mills Racing. It needed a long list of items. They were very clear on the list and I agreed with the entire list (no BS fill blinker fluids, etc). The price for each item and discount on a bundle, as well as having no issue on which they could do and leave the rest for me. I thought the price was fair, the turn around time was reasonable. I also needed a location that had knowledge with a carbed motor, I am limited with carb tuning much less a full rebuild. They got my GW running very well so I would take a vehicle to them with no concerns.

Wrider
Sun Mar 6th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Hands down, the best general mechanic in town is Craig Auto Repair Service. Only place I'll take my vehicles when I don't have the tools/time to do them.

http://www.craigautorepair.com/

birchyboy
Sun Mar 6th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the tips.

BadR6Man
Thu Mar 17th, 2016, 06:45 PM
For cheap oil change and preventative maintenance, Al Serra chevy south store.
Im currently working there as a tech for now.
You need it fixed, it will. Minor to major. Just ask for me John

Captain Obvious
Thu Mar 17th, 2016, 10:04 PM
For cheap oil change and preventative maintenance, Al Serra chevy south store.

Even if I have a Dodge PU? :)