PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle lifts

RAGrote
Fri Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Comparison between Super Lift bike lift
Super Lift (http://www.superlifts.com/ml1000.html)
and Handy Industries
Very Handy Lift (http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=46&D=1&S=21)

Cost wise the both lifts are about $800 - the difference being that the SL comes with a vise and it's extra on the HI - about $110.

If I had to do it all over again I'd wait and get the HI model and here's why.

First I use my lift a lot - not near as much as MC shops would, however.

The SL track system got jacked sideways and one of the guides (a giant washer) caught one of the side molding pieces and almost dumped my ride onto the garage floor. Out comes the dremel and I cut off the welds and removed it- it was just a cosmetic piece anyway.

Then the tracks when compared to the cylinder (lifting mechanism) got a bit skewed and the lift wouldn't lift smoothly... VERY disconcerting when there's a 500 lb bike on the lift.

The comparison of the air cyclinder on the SL vs. HI is significantly different. The HI is 9 inches in circumference vs. 6-ish inches on the SL.

The vise on the SL isn't as strong as the HI. So I ordered a vise from HI - Gosh.. imagine my amazement when it fit exactly onto the SL lift - Hmmmmm.
The HI vise is MASSIVE.... The metal is 1/16 thicker. The ratio on the HI's crank is tighter so tightenting by hand is now possible. With the SL I had to kick the crank to get it to a comfortable tightness. By hand the HI crank can seriously squish a tire in it's grip and the tire visibly showed signs of over tightening. I never saw that with the SL.
The HI crank has a tire "stop" on it - the SL had a little plate that bent right over when the bike bumped it. I got good enough to just stop the bike before I hit the stop. Not a huge issue but a nice selling point for the HI.

The quality of the HI is noticeably different and I would have to believe it would run throughout the Handy Industry product. They've been doing this a bit longer as well.

Now... having said all that;
The SL has ALWAYS performed well - I've figured out the track issue and it's no longer an issue.
It is the best thing since sliced bread.... not having to lay down on the cold concrete floor to work on your bike is HEAVEN!!!!
I'm sure the product will perform for years to come....

Gone...