PDA

View Full Version : Title signing question

asp_125
Sat Apr 9th, 2016, 06:23 PM
We bought a trailer from party A last year, got the bill of sale and title. But never registered it since it sat in storage. Now we want to sell it. Do we sign the title as buyer and then undersign it as seller B, to new buyer C? Or do I have to get a new title in my name?

Nolan
Sat Apr 9th, 2016, 06:39 PM
Legally new title. Seller I bought from had previous title I just kept his address and number handy until I got it titled.

longrider
Sun Apr 10th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Only a dealer can transfer a title to a 3rd party. As an individual you must obtain title in your name and then sign that over to the buyer. If you and the buyer are both willing you can give a couple Motor Vehicle Powers of Attorney and let him do all the paperwork but a title must still be issued in your name and then signed over to the buyer

asp_125
Sun Apr 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Got it, thanks.

teamextreme
Sun Apr 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM
People sometimes do it, but it's not legal. It's called jumping title. You just hand over the title to the new buyer as it is, basically pretending you're the guy you bought it from with his signature on it. If there's a date on the signature though, you probably couldn't get away with it (if you were so inclined to be a law-breaker).