PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good RV body shop

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 07:02 AM
Had a blow-out on the fifth-wheel on the way back home from Montrose last week. Did some pretty good damage.

Anyone know a body shop that works on RVs?

asp_125
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 08:28 AM
Dang! that sucks.We had a blowout that did some minor damage to the skirting. I found that Lowes carries an embossed FRP sheet that is a dead ringer for the pebbly texture of the original.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 11:23 AM
I'll fix it myself if I can find parts...

The skirting is probably going to be the problem. It's diamond plate, but thin, stamped sheet metal. The metal band/channel that wraps the entire RV that connects the skirting to the fiberglass might be a problem, too.

Fender is completely disintegrated along with some bent frame members. Got some fiberglass damage, too.

Fortunately, I found some hi-speed rated trailer tires. Rated to 87mph. They cost three times as much as regular trailer tires, but I haul ass!!

bulldog
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 11:45 AM
I'm just happy you guys are ok. A few years back my mom's boyfriend was towing a trailer and had a blowout and it made him go off the side of a cliff and he died. Shit can be fixed, so could have been way worse.

asp_125
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 01:18 PM
I'll fix it myself if I can find parts...

The skirting is probably going to be the problem. It's diamond plate, but thin, stamped sheet metal. The metal band/channel that wraps the entire RV that connects the skirting to the fiberglass might be a problem, too.

Fender is completely disintegrated along with some bent frame members. Got some fiberglass damage, too.

Fortunately, I found some hi-speed rated trailer tires. Rated to 87mph. They cost three times as much as regular trailer tires, but I haul ass!!

Lowes also has thin diamond plate in 2'x4' pieces. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-24-in-x-4-ft-Aluminum-Sheet-Metal/3054573 Can't help with the other bits though.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Aug 22nd, 2017, 02:59 PM
I'm just happy you guys are ok. A few years back my mom's boyfriend was towing a trailer and had a blowout and it made him go off the side of a cliff and he died. Shit can be fixed, so could have been way worse.Except for the insanely loud explosion, I would never have known it blew up. Same with the first blow-out five years ago.

Lowes also has thin diamond plate in 2'x4' pieces. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steelworks-24-in-x-4-ft-Aluminum-Sheet-Metal/3054573 Can't help with the other bits though.Damn, that's real close. Mine is grey, though. Gives me hope...