PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of the KTM duke 390 2016 ABS for canyon riding?

willc86
Mon Apr 23rd, 2018, 06:01 AM
twistys are fun, there is a small road near that has some twists and turns and I can probably hit 45 50 MPH...but feel I want to up my game now haha.
I am going to a dealership on thursday to see if I can finance this bad boy. I was hoping if it can take over traffic pretty easily or is it more of a slow steady bike?

i currently have a klx250 and i definitely dont feel comfortable on passing cars since I barely hit 70MPH haha...full throttle all the way!!

anyhow was hoping someone has experience on how this bike performs out in the canyons in twists and turns and if it has the power to even get up there

FZRguy
Mon Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:08 PM
I have a Duke 690 and it is a very capable canyon carver, and no problem dispensing city traffic. I suspect the 390 would make a fine lightweight city bike. There's no place to hide from the wind tho, so neither is a great on the highway.

j0ker
Mon Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:06 PM
My friend has the 1290 and that thing is an agile beast! His bike is amazing.

willc86
Tue Apr 24th, 2018, 12:22 PM
nice!! im hoping the 390 would do good. I am a bit worried about the wind. not sure if a wind screen or a better helmet would help. Picking out the 390 since ive seen a lot of people taking it offroads on youtube (light trails) and does fine since its 300 lbs!! im hoping maybe a windscreen would be some kind of help

teamextreme
Tue Apr 24th, 2018, 12:50 PM
If you're intent on doing some mild dirt use, I'm not sure the KTM is the right tool. BMW actually came out with the perfect mini-ADV machine for you, the G310GS.
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/g310gs.html
If you're ok spring for a pricey-ish KTM, then I would look seriously at the BMW.

j0ker
Tue Apr 24th, 2018, 02:03 PM
If you're intent on doing some mild dirt use, I'm not sure the KTM is the right tool. BMW actually came out with the perfect mini-ADV machine for you, the G310GS.
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/g310gs.html
If you're ok spring for a pricey-ish KTM, then I would look seriously at the BMW.

That thing looks fun!

FZRguy
Tue Apr 24th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Wind screen and quiet helmet will both help with wind blast. I don't think the 390 or any Duke will do well for off-road use. A short stint on a well-graded gravel road (like Rampart Range Rd) would be okay, but nothing like a 60/40 bike. The Duke is designed for pavement use.

troyn
Tue Apr 24th, 2018, 09:30 PM
I had an RC390 and it was very capable and great in the canyons, and would easily do highway speeds. Duke should be great too.

norcolmille
Mon Jun 11th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I lust for an rc390 with a turbo it would be a blast in colorado

madvlad
Mon Jun 11th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Lakewood G-force is having a KTM demo day tomorrow from noon to 4:30 and they’re having pretty much the full line up including the 1290 duke. May go in earlier to work tomorrow and go ride that 1290, thing is ridiculous

j0ker
Mon Jun 11th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Lakewood G-force is having a KTM demo day tomorrow from noon to 4:30 and they’re having pretty much the full line up including the 1290 duke. May go in earlier to work tomorrow and go ride that 1290, thing is ridiculous

Crazy fast!

DriverDave
Mon Jun 11th, 2018, 10:25 PM

The KTM demo will also be at Fay Myers on Thursday and Sun on Friday.

madvlad
Tue Jun 12th, 2018, 02:36 PM
The KTM demo will also be at Fay Myers on Thursday and Sun on Friday.

Oh nice I’ll just wait for the Fay Myers Thursday then since I’m doing work literally right next to the Broncos grounds, it would work best.

Mother Goose
Wed Jun 13th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Oh nice I’ll just wait for the Fay Myers Thursday then since I’m doing work literally right next to the Broncos grounds, it would work best.
Cheater. :no: :lol:

madvlad
Wed Jun 13th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Cheater. :no: :lol:

‘‘Tis what I do Holmes :lol:

FZRguy
Fri Jun 15th, 2018, 10:57 PM
I rode the Super Duke at the G-Force demo. Shame the route was lame. Out and back on Garrison and Kipling. I saw 4th gear for one block.

madvlad
Sat Jun 16th, 2018, 05:28 AM
I rode the Super Duke at the G-Force demo. Shame the route was lame. Out and back on Garrison and Kipling. I saw 4th gear for one block.

Same here but at Fays and didn’t get out of 3rd lol. Unfortunately that area of Lakewood doesn’t have any route options and super slow streets with no sweeps everywhere. Fun bike though through the switchbacks at centennial airport. I liked it a lot, very well balanced bike with plenty of torque and super comfy, wish some of the adventurers were open but all the FOGs took them lol

FZRguy
Sat Jun 16th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Yamaha demo went 6th, 470, Rooney, Colfax, 6th, which was shit ton better!