PDA

View Full Version : Need Mechanical Help

motaboy
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Hey riders,
I am new to riding and to this club but I need some help with a mechanical problem. I dropped my first bike and have been fixing it for the last two months but now I can't get it to start and I had the battery checked and it was full. Any of you gear heads have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Motaboy

Hoopty
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Try posting this in the bike tech forum, you may find a little more help there. :)

Hozerking
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Hey riders,
I am new to riding and to this club but I need some help with a mechanical problem. I dropped my first bike and have been fixing it for the last two months but now I can't get it to start and I had the battery checked and it was full. Any of you gear heads have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Motaboy

explain in more detail what is happening? ...

it it even turning over?
what happens when you hit the starter button!

-al

Anonymous
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Is the kill switch in the "on" position?

motaboy
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Hey riders,

Thanks,
Motaboy

explain in more detail what is happening? ...

it it even turning over?
what happens when you hit the starter button!

-al

Thanks for replying to my post, to answer your question, nothing happens when I hit the starter button. When the key is in the "on" position none of the lights come on and the motor won't even turn over even when I tried to jump the bike so I don't have any idea at what the problem may be.

Motaboy

motaboy
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Is the kill switch in the "on" position?

Thanks for the advice, and yes the kill switch is on any other thoughts?

Anonymous
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Check all wiring connectors you can find, check the battery cable -> to battery connection (i.e. bolted down?), check all fuses.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 05:15 PM
:imwithstupid: If the battery is charged (as you said it checked out to be) and no lights are coming on when you turn the key into the "on" position, the first thing I would check is the wires connected to the battery itself - make sure they are clean and tight. I had a problem with my first bike - engine died for no reason (after riding & at idle) - it turned out that the ground wire was just loose enough to cause it to lose the current. If that's not it, then continue checking the wiring & fuses (although I doubt you blew all the fuses).

Do the turn signals work? Horn? If they don't, then odds are it's the connection at the battery.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Don't know where you're at but if you need help, let me know. If you're somewhat nearby I can come by with a voltmeter and find the problem real quick. With what you've described the problem can only be a handful of things.

Ripper
Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Check the main fuse!! If ya need I can come look at it and get it running for ya 8)

Mon Oct 27th, 2003, 08:23 PM
From what you are describing. I think ripper may have this one right.

Just remember the main fuse is not in the fuse box. It is located on the starter realy.