PDA

View Full Version : DOT Reviews?

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 07:39 AM
I have been reading up on all the DOT race tire brands but they all claim theirs are the best...of course. And most people have their own preferences as well. I was wondering if anyone has read a good article or has a link to a non bias review of several brands?

Thanks

D

Hozerking
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 07:41 AM
check this out:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/

not that much on the dot race stuff but they did have more info in one of the issues this year? ... a long test of all of them, good luck.

-al

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Interesting article an "craming" a 190 on a 180 rim. Good point for those that try to stick those big freekin 200's on their bike.

mra828
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Sport Rider did a specific DOT Race Tire comparison a while back. They have complete data sheets at:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0302_tire/index.html

Select the links for each tire brand - print out the data sheets and compare.

geoff

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Perfect. Just what I was looking for. I totaled up the numbers for rank from that article and averaged tham out. Lowest being the best number.

Pirelli SC = 1.5
Metz RS = 3.0
Michelin = 3.25
Dunlop GP = 3.25
Bridgestone = 4

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Traction number average from articles

Out of 1 - 10 with 10 being the best

Pirelli SC = 9.25
Metz RS = 9.075
Michelin = 9.075
Dunlop GP = 8.75
Bridgestone = 8.375

mra828
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Funny how the Pirelli always beats out the Metzeler... esp. since they're (according to all accounts I've heard) exactly the same tire w/slighty different tread pattern only.

Weird... :?

g

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I wondered about that. The Metz are a bit cheeper as well.

scud
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Don't have an article, but I can throw in a data point from my own experience:

Michelins last longer, particularly in an endurance racing situation. Pirellis heat up quicker for the sprint races if you don't have tire warmers. The Michelins I ran always felt greasy on the first lap, whereas the Pirellis seemed ready to rock after a brisk warm-up lap. I thought the Michelins lacked some feel compared to the Pirellis, but slid a little bit more predictably when accellerating too hard out of a corner. The Pirellis communicated what the front was doing better under braking. It seemed like I could get one more weekend out of the Michelins than I could out of the Pirellis, but I'm not sure that was a good or smart thing to try.

Haven't tried Dunlops or the 'Stones yet, so no info there.

As for what I'd buy again, the answer is usually "Whatever's cheap." ;) But if money was no consideration, I'd probably stick with the Pirellis.

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Im riding the Mich M2/S2's now and I do ,like them. But they are a bit pricey and seem to take a bit longer to warm up. Since I dont have tire warmers and Im footin the bill out of my pocket Ill go for the best I can and save the most $$ I have ridden the Metz a few times and they seemed ok but I didnt get to run hard. It was not my bike so I took it easy. Think Ill give them a shot.

I was gonna give the Bridges a shot but they were ranked last. But they are by far the least expensive.

Hoopty
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 11:15 AM
I have never raced on the Bridgestones, but I ran them on the SV for alot of track days. They seemed to last pretty long, and overall grip was good. :)

12pointracing
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Well, although that was an attempt at a reasonably scientific test, I am not sure I concur with the findings and would like to warn anyone about taking someone elses opinion as a powerful influence...I generally stay out of these types of conversations, but as I have ridden all the stated brands throughout this season, possibly I can shed some light on this topic.

Probably the most understated item is bike set up, and each riders ability to determine where they need to go with their set up for a particular brand of tire. I have ridden Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli & the 'Stones DOTs, and I will laugh at anyone who says "just adjust the suspension to the differences between circumferences". Plain and simple - that will NOT work. Each tire has it own profile, its own sidewall construction and own compound tendency.

I do not like the Dunlops. Yes, I go plenty fast on them. Yes, they stick. Yes, I found the correct set up for them on my bike. No, I still didn't like them. Good price is probably in the $350-360 range??

I like the Michelins that little bit better. Yes, I go the same speed on them. Yes, they cost about the same. Possibly they heat cycle slightly better, but it is still a DOT and will put you on your head if you don't change them out often. I think they have a slighty higher upmost grip, and a better profile - but doesn't have the familiar Dunlop "feel" that some riders seem to need. Good price is probably in the $350-360 range??

I really like the Pirelli. Yes, I am just as fast and they cost alot less. They do come up to temp pretty quick, and the stiff carcass feels more like a slick front than a DOT front. The compound feels like a DOT tire however, and will squirm pretty bad with serious trail braking, but is extremely predictable much like the Dunlop. They don't seem to hold Nicky Wimbaer or Mike Applehans back any... They don't feel like they have the upmost traction of the Michelin, and possibly not the "feel" of the Dunlop - but still I think this tire suits me better. Good price is probably in the $310-330 range??

And last but not least - everything I ride I compare to the Bridgestone. Yes, I can go just as fast on them. Yes, I found a way to get the bike set up for them. They too have a stiff carcass like the Pirelli, and a really pointed profile which makes the bike really turn (which is good for our slow tight tracks in CO). The two of these things mean I have to drastically change my set up to get the most out of these tires, and it was not simply changing for the track or the tire circumference. (more front end weight than I thought would ever stick!). The feedback is alot like the Pirelli, with possibly less overall traction but more "feel" - much like the Dunlop. They turn in quicker, come up to temp fine, and last as long as the others when the suspension is correctly set up for them. These tires will do 1:08s - 1:10s all day on a current 600 supersport bike @ Second Creek with me on it - probably faster if I was faster. Good price is around $275 mounted. Yes, they are that much cheaper.

The 160 Bridgestone slicks are even better...(at the same price)

So, what does this mean to you? Absolutely nothing. My bike is set up for my style, and I know what I like and don't like. Even if I told you what my favorite trail number was, it probably wouldn't work for you as it suits my style and not yours.

The moral of this story is to try them all if you can!

Take in all the information available from the magazines, but at the end of the day realize that these are in most cases non-founded opinions from people who are only giving them to you because they are paid to do so. Have they ever raced @ Second Creek on a cold October morning? How about at La Junta at 104 degrees? This is the part of what makes racing so cool (and so challenging) - figuring out what works so that you can ride to your potential.

So, although I am slightly biased towards the 'Stones - would you prefer to do 1:XXs at Second creek on $350/set tires, or $275/set tires? Could you afford to change out your tires more often at $275, thus actually going faster on a regular basis since the tires are fresher? The choice is pretty simple for me as the tires are not whats holding me back...

My $.02

yakuza
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 04:43 PM
2 thumbs up Dave. :up: :up:

Bryce
Wed Oct 29th, 2003, 07:04 PM
I'll agre with Dave on the comments about the michlins and pirelli/metzlers but have not ridden on stones and have very little riding time on dunlop

BlueDevil
Thu Oct 30th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Well said Dave. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I absolutely agree. As many of the racers out there I am footin the bill myself and price is a huge concern. I will get on every tire I have the finances to try. Or that Visa will give me permission to ride on......haha I will also do my best to adjust the bike to meet each tire and my riding style. What I was looking for is some good oppinions and tests by folks that have been around a lot longer than I. As well as the unlimited finance to try all the brands at once and see what they do against eachother. Ill tell U what I have ridden on some cold days on Mich and they seem to take forever to heat up. Yet the Metz seem faster in that aspect. The variables are unlimited and thus I will agree its a challenge and exciting. Can be frustrating as well. All part of racing. I have ridden a lot of track time but never in a timed event. So Im sure its going to be quite a culture shock and I will take some time to grow my wings, but I love the sport and Im willing to put in the time, effort, and research to be compeditive.

Going into my first season I dont care if I win, I just want to get familiar with my skills, limits, and learn all I can. Right now I am looking at it from the sponge aspect. Tell me all and I will take it all in. Then work with that knowledge and see what works for me and the bike Im on. With out information such as this as well as tests articles I would have to do it all myself and Im sure U can agree its hard to learn everything and there is no way we can. Im sure racers that have been around for a long time still learn things every day. Thats part of the thrill for me. The things I have learned in that past few months blow my mind and I know I have only scratched the surface.

Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions, ideas, and just plain banter. I cant wait to get out there and put it all together.

yakuza
Thu Oct 30th, 2003, 09:51 AM
You'll be amazed how much you learn every single race weekend. I did all 10 races this year, and not one went by that I didn't learn something about my bike, my riding style, setup, or the track.

You've got a lot of questions right now and are obviously wanting to be as best prepared for next year as you can, it'll all come together next year once you actually get into the race enviroment. :up:

BlueDevil
Thu Oct 30th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Im sure U R right. Im so excited I can harldy stand it. :multi: