PDA

View Full Version : The ZX12R is toast...

JOE!!!!!!
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 05:39 PM
Stopped in traffic on the highway in Kittredge, and I was about 6ft. behind an Explorer. A Dodge Ram PU didn't notice we were all stopped and locked em up, too late. The 12 was sandwiched, I was launched straight up, came down on the bike, the guys front tire was like 6" from my face. I'm unhurt. You know the ins co is gonna total this poor thing. It's wheelbase is now 2.3" shorter than it was.

Mel
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Oh man, OUCH!! Glad you are unhurt

Cleveland
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 05:52 PM
wow. that sucks. good to hear you made it out ok. what are you gonna get next?

Spiderman
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 06:06 PM
:shock: Dayumm! Glad you're okay, though!!!

JOE!!!!!!
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 06:07 PM
what are you gonna get next?

I won't spend ins money that I don't have yet, but another 12 would be fine with me. Although, I sat on every liter bike at the IM Show (and the new R6 looks really good under me, too), and I wouldn't mind having something that's 100lbs lighter.

konichd
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 06:11 PM
Poor 12! Glad to hear your OK Joe!

King Nothing
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM
YIKES! Glad to see you are ok!

Bueller
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear it, glad you came out ok!
I am always worried about that, and usually pull to one side or the other and watch the mirrors closely.

-PUCK-
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Damn....that sucks.
Now lemme have your tires.... :lol:
Just kiddin bro. Glad you came out alright. I too am always worried about that happening.

JOE!!!!!!
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 07:29 PM
I am always worried about that, and usually pull to one side or the other and watch the mirrors closely.

Usually, when I pull up to stopped traffic, I try to keep about one car length back from the car in front of me. This looks kinda wierd, and I've had people honk at me like, "Pull up!", but the reason is an old biker thing about just in case you get banged from behind you won't get sandwiched (maybe). If I had done that this time, maybe the front end wouldn't have got smashed (forks are bent, maybe the wheel, maybe the whole frame). Too many what-if's. You can't see it from this pic, but every piece of green plastic is broken.

FZRguy
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 07:42 PM
:shock: glad to hear you're okay

Connman
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Never fear............Joe broke out the Triumph and we went ridin' anyway!!
(Joe and I have, errr, HAD twin 12's)

Dave
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 07:45 PM
Shizer! Glad you’re OK Joe!

JOE!!!!!!
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Never fear............Joe broke out the Triumph and we went ridin' anyway!!
Gotta get back on that horse and ride. Proof that I have balls of steel:

mikesf4i
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 08:42 PM
Maybe next time you should get a more visible color... like maybe bright green. Oh wait a second. never mind.

-=LiQuiD=-
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 09:18 PM
My neighbor is looking to sell his ZX-12R. It has like 8,xxx miles on it. 2000 i think. Totally stock. PM if you'd like me to find more info. Not sure what he's asking. I know it's a red one.

Ghost Rider
Sat Dec 31st, 2005, 10:37 PM
Glad you came through it OK. You might feel it tomorrow tho-Ask me how I know. If I can help any way let me know.I have some current market surveys on 02 ZX-12r's if you need.

Nat

:guns:

Bashed
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM
Gotta get back on that horse and ride. Proof that I have balls of steel:

From my experience that crease in your tank is from your frame being bent,not your balls.You would not of walked away from the accident.Do not accept anything less than a new bike.
Late Bash

JOE!!!!!!
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Bashed, it was a joke. That's not the gas tank (the gas tank is mostly under the seat), it's a plastic cover. It was broken when the seat was shoved into it.
And I think I should get a new helmet out of this too, am I right? My Arai doesn't show a scratch, but do I have an argument for the "sustained a possible impact/can't be trusted" ploy?

-n8-
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Man, that sucks. Nothing you could do even if you had seen it coming. Same thing happenend to me and my roommate on our R6s on two separate occasions. Glad to hear you're okay, physically, I know mentally it's like you lost a close friend. Everybody else, remember that crap like this happens and watch your back! Keep riding Green. :x
Yes you should get a new helmet out of the deal, make sure it's included in your claim.

Mista Black
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
that really sucks joe!! i've been rear ended a couple times myself (and front ended once, too). dont let them talk you into anything less than a new bike. even though you felt ok yesterday, go to the doctor for a complete check up (including xrays) and make sure they reimburse you for that too. personally i'd get a lawyer. when that jackass backed into me in 2004 it made me realize the vast majority of insurance companies are out to screw us. i'll never NOT get a lawyer again after an accident.

on the bright side though, this will give you the perfect chance to get that Bemmer i know you really want :P

R1chie
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear you did not get crushed. Being rearended is one of the hardest things to guard against. Glad you are ok.

~Barn~
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM
Damn Joe... Glad you're not a sportwaffle!

Goodluck with it all, and I hope you get everything replaced (and everything that's coming to you) ASAP.

towneh
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Too many of these "cagers" are living in another world and distracted by any number of things (kids, shaving, cds, eye-liner, etc.).

-hope it all works out-
'bago henry

-aside-
sometimes they don't see school buses (i.e. big, yellow boxes) either :shock: :roll:

Sparker
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
just get the forks and you will be fine.....kinda looks like one of thoes Euro street fighters with the really high tail!

McVaaahhh
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Sucks bro! Glad that you're alright and get every penny you can.

NealH
Sun Jan 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM
its painful to look at that bike, wow.

Bugkiller1
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM
No shit Joe! Obviously glad to hear you were not hurt. You sure were'nt just doing 12 o'clock wheelies? ;)

JOE!!!!!!
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
You sure were'nt just doing 12 o'clock wheelies?

Allright, OK, the truth is out. The geared-down ZX12R is a monster wheelie machine. Bringing it down is a bitch, tho. After doing a Max Biaggi beyond-12 moon shot, I slammed it and went to the stoppie from hell:

Mista Black
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
OK Joe, I'm calling BS on that!! Your bike wasn't red....

RockMtnBusa
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Really sorry to hear about the accident Joe. Glad I got one last ride in with your Mean Green the other day. When the Busa went down I had the option of the newer bikes and couldn't be happier I stayed with the Busa.

Hope to see ya out there next weekend.

irdave
Mon Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
I, too, know someone with an "extra" 12 laying around. But it is as far from stock as you can get engine wise. I know that Muzzy has seriously breathed on the engine, full exhaust, PC3, etc. I'm not sure how much he wants for it, but it would be worth your while to check it out.

Get in touch with me if you're interested.

Oh, and this is why it's good to lane split. Glad you're ok.

Spiderman
Tue Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/files/stoppie.gif

:spit:

GrayGiraffe
Sun Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
dang

Mecha Hayai
Sun Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Sad day! Everybody I know that has one of those rams says they're way under braked. You seriously lucked out bro!

Stuart Little
Sun Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Why are we bringin this one back from the dead?

King Nothing
Sun Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
kinda wondering the same thing.

Lomax
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry to hear this Joe. I agree with you on staying back a ways after I got backed into by the Semi last summer. I am glad to hear that you are OK. Spooky shit. Everyone take care out there this spring as this happens to everyone. You may be next. :shock:

Marc

Mother Goose
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Holy dead thread batman!!

RAGrote
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Here's the tip for those who've never been told.

When stopping leave AT LEAST 1 car length between you and the car in front of you. You squids who stop right on the bumper of the car in front of you... this WILL happen to you because you have NO route of escape.
Stopping that close just shows your lack of experience.

When stopped on the road, regardless of why or where.... leave your bike in gear, sit off to one side of the lane to allow escape into the gap between cars. LEAVE YOUR BIKE IN GEAR and watch your rear until something stops behind you at a safe distance. If they're not at a safe distance roll into that 1 car length you've left in front of you. If they roll forward, glance back to let them know they're being stupid. Get away from them ASAP.

I'm glad your OK. This accident was avoidable.

and yes... I've avoided this accident 4 times in my life by using the escape route.

Still... glad your ok - this gives you a reason to shop for bikes, yes? Lucky bastard....

Mother Goose
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
I definetly wouldn't call JOE!!!!!!!!! a squid :lol:

RAGrote
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Nor did I....

They know who they are....

Here's a trick... when a bike pulls up right on your bumper, put your car in reverse and watch the look of horror on their faces when the backup lights come on. You should be able to see their faces because the helmet is strapped to the back of the bike.

c-ya

Mother Goose
Mon Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
I choose not to mess with the squids like that... wouldn't want them to fall over @ the light and mess up that pretty tail frame slider :lol: :up: