PDA

View Full Version : Racing 2 Save Lives

~Barn~
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Welp.... It's pre-reg' time for Racing 2 Save Lives and I want to put together a team.

Last year I was on "Team Pineapple" with Alex, 'Lou, Rick and others, and it was fantastic to be part of it. Outside of the invaluable mechanical help they offered, there was also the availability to everyone’s tools and chemicals, and a cooler or 3 to share some cold drinks or make an "off session" sandwich. Plus, it's just nice to occupy a garage or 2 with friendly faces for all the day-long bench racing that goes one. :D

So!... if anybody wants to be on a team with me, please let me know. The sooner that we can address this, the sooner we can pre-reg and get the sessions we want, as well as coordinate the road-trip to Utah!!!

I'm so excited, my ADD is kicking in!

:bananna:

*MV* #33
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Welp.... It's pre-reg' time for Racing 2 Save Lives and I want to put together a team.

Last year I was on "Team Pineapple" with Alex, 'Lou, Rick and others, and it was fantastic to be part of it. Outside of the invaluable mechanical help they offered, there was also the availability to everyone’s tools and chemicals, and a cooler or 3 to share some cold drinks or make an "off session" sandwich. Plus, it's just nice to occupy a garage or 2 with friendly faces for all the day-long bench racing that goes one. :D

So!... if anybody wants to be on a team with me, please let me know. The sooner that we can address this, the sooner we can pre-reg and get the sessions we want, as well as coordinate the road-trip to Utah!!!

I'm so excited, my ADD is kicking in!

:bananna:

Where can I find the dates for this again. So I can see if I can make. I might be interested in joining you Barn.

MV

rforsythe
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Everything you need is at http://www.racing2savelives.org!

April 13-16, Miller Motorsports Park.

This is an $80 MILLION track. I've seen recent pics of it, and you are going to be blown away at this place. There is not another track like it in the country, and believe me when I tell you that some of the things you'll be able to do this year will make it a once in a lifetime opportunity. PPIR was great, but this is going to be INSANE.

*MV* #33
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Everything you need is at http://www.racing2savelives.org!

April 13-16, Miller Motorsports Park.

This is an $80 MILLION track. I've seen recent pics of it, and you are going to be blown away at this place. There is not another track like it in the country, and believe me when I tell you that some of the things you'll be able to do this year will make it a once in a lifetime opportunity. PPIR was great, but this is going to be INSANE.

Are you running the whole track?

rforsythe
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Track configs are still being finalized, but it will most likely be at least the West track and the Kart track. Just for perspective, the Kart track alone is the size of Second Creek. The East track may not be available due to construction, though we're hoping for it.

We will not be running the 4+ mile outer track; first because the construction may not allow for it, and second because if we do in fact get the East track, we'd like to run them simultaneously to get more people riding at the same time (and support some other stuff we're doing).

~Barn~
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
<snip...> ...if I can make. I might be interested in joining you Barn.
MV

Sweet! :up:

Dan Audette
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm signed up!
You get up price break if you register for all days, all sessions.

Lurch
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Barn I'm interested...Are you planning on running all 4 days or what? I have that Friday off and would like to ride as much as possible with as few days off as possible. I can haul 3 bikes total if we know we have power and garages.

Lurch

Polar X
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I am interested as well. would try and take the RV to make it easier at the track.

Ray-Ray
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM
The really cool thing about this MMP is that you can leave your generator at home. They have power poles through out the pits. NO generators will be needed.

As far as the garages go, we will have to wait and see when it gets closer to April. They are still under construction and we are not sure they will be completed by April.

Ray

Lurch
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Will MMP allow pit camping? I have heard a rumor that they will not allow anyone inside the gates at night?

As far as the garages go, we will have to wait and see when it gets closer to April. They are still under construction and we are not sure they will be completed by April.

Ray

Then I guess the 12X20 canopy will have to get packed. I hope they don't have resricitions on loud offense music. :twisted:

Lurch

mra828
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'm planning on going too - probably ride Fri/Sat and maybe Sunday.

Need all the seat time I can get after not riding in 2005.

I'd be interested to know about pit camping too...

geoff

rforsythe
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I think pit camping is OK, but I will check on it with MMP and let you all know.

As Ray said, we'll have to wait and see on the garages. I'm heading out there twice before the event to see how things are progressing, so we'll make annoncements as we learn more. There is a good chance the garages will be done, but I can't guarantee it yet. For now, plan to bring your canopies.

~Barn~
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Awesome Doug, Christopher....

I don't know if I'll be able to ride all of the days, mostly due to funds availability, but I think I could certainly get out of town on Thursday evening at the earliest and start with Friday's sessions. I too want to keep "days off" to a minimum, seeing as how I've accured all-of zero at my new job. :lol:

Since you mentioned being able to tow bikes, allow me to be the first, to humbly ask for consideration for a spot. I was thinking that if somebody could do that for me, then maybe I could spring for some gas, or beer, or straight up cash. :dunno: Aside from that, I was going to take my car again. It worked out superbly last year, as my bed & breakfast.

Thanks for the heads-up also, Ray, about the garage progress. :up:

Polar X
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM
when I emailed them a couple of months ago, they said there would be RV parking in the pits. So I assume that would be for everyone????

Doug, I need to talk to you, I get back into town on the 23rd of Jan. Will call ya then.
Barn, I think I will have space in my trailer or perhaps someone with a BIGGER trailer will let me pull that instead. My plan would be to leave Thurs morn with the trailer.

rybo
Mon Jan 9th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I've just signed up for the whole event. Even if I can't make every day every session this is an awesome event that I've had the opportunity to contribute to in the past, but not been able to participate. I'm very excited about the new track, even though it's so far away.

Looking forward to it!

ebazyl
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM
perhaps someone with a BIGGER trailer will let me pull that instead.

Brilliant! I'm there.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Does this outlaw team have a name?

~Barn~
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Well... I guess lemme mull that one over, and throw a few out there, and we can just pick something.

~Barn~
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Proposed Team Names:

Team Hangover

TempTags Racing

Lowest Bid Racing

No Contest Racing

Camel Honda

Team Ad-Hoc

Ad-Hoc Racing

Sick Day Racing

Team Roadtrip

Roadtrip Racing

Cars Suck Racing

The Baltimore Orioles

Gross Misconduct Racing

Last Of Late Brakers

First Of Late Brakers

Which One's The Brake? Racing

Last Of The Mohicans

Pay Day Loan Racing

Here are some of the early names I could think of on short notice. If you like something, lemme know, or if you have another idea, put it out there.

Going into turn 1, I'm kinda partial to "Gross Misconduct Racing" and "First Of The Late Brakers".
:lol:

FZRguy
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Or you could be original and just call it Team CSC. 8)

~Barn~
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM
That's a little too inclusive, I'm thinking. :lol:

sprtbkbabe
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'll be pulling the trailer :P and my bike in it at this point. Since it's the same weekend as Deal's Gap, Lev won't be coming along and I'm not sure Alex's plans (first dibs)..... in that saying, I should have a trailer spot open and room for 4 people in the Jeep.

If you all hear nearby hotels, let it be known too. :doublefinger:

ebazyl
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Proposed Team Names:

Camel Honda

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Polar X
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Brilliant! I'm there. :up:

rforsythe
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM
FYI, we are working on discounted lodging for R2SL participants as we speak! We'll get an announcement out as soon as possible on this. The local community (motorcycling and otherwise) is pretty excited about what we're doing, so expect great things to happen. I've been known to talk a little bit of smack about Utah from time to time, but I have to say they are really stepping up for Racing 2 Save Lives!!

Major props to the USBA as well (Utah's equivalent of a mix between CSC and the MRA), as they're handling a lot of volunteer efforts and local coordination for us.

Lurch
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Nice names and all Barn but we are traveling to Utah.

So I think we should go with:

Three Wifes Racing
Has Anyone Seen a Liquor Store Racing
Whats with the Big Church Racing
Hey Didn't U Guys Host the Olympics Racing

This one is for Gene and has nothing to do with Utah.

Bush Trimmers Racing

Lurch

DarkKnight
Tue Jan 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Big Organ Racing?

No? - Just trying it on.

rforsythe
Thu Jan 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Update on the things I said I'd check on:

Camping in the pits is fine, and there are power hookups for your RV's and other things. There is a very small chance that we'll have to move the RV's across the street, but like I said - it should be fine.

Dogs in the pits are fine, as long as they're well behaved and leashed. Same with kids. (J/k, kids are ok but please keep an eye on them!)

The day garages (identical to what PPIR had) should be available. Of course these have power in them. We'll rent these out for an additional donation just like we did at PPIR, though we won't accept reservations until the day of the event (so, first come first served -- though a teammate will be able to snag a stall for your whole group).

There are 26 acres of paved paddock space at this facility, and it's all wired for power! If you just want to pit out of your trailer, that is perfectly fine and this place is designed to make your life easy when doing so.

I have a detailed facility map of this place, and you are going to be blown away when you see MMP for yourself! This place is a state of the art, GP-level facility, and you get to be a rider in the first-ever event there! Go sign up now!

~Barn~
Thu Jan 19th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the updates and the bump Ralph. I'll have a team name picked out by next week sometime, for everybody still interested in being onboard. :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jan 19th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Well, sounds like a blast, but I got no leathers........ :oops:

Dan Audette
Fri Jan 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
What size are you?
I got a set of Joe Rocket 2 piece size 48 (I think)
used to someone out last year @ PPIR.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jan 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Um, dunno. Never been fitted. I'm 6'1", 220, and pretty wide across the chest. I'd have to see. Thanks for the offer Dan. I was wondering if you could rent them at the event? Does anyone know?

~Barn~
Fri Jan 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Hello Brandon,

Thank you for signing up to ride in Racing 2 Save Lives! This email confirms you are signed up to participate.

The time slots you are registered for are:

Friday April 14th: 12pm-3pm, 3pm-6pm
Saturday April 15th: 9am-12pm, 12pm-3pm

TEAM NAME:
"First Of The Late Brakers"
:D

rforsythe
Fri Jan 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Um, dunno. Never been fitted. I'm 6'1", 220, and pretty wide across the chest. I'd have to see. Thanks for the offer Dan. I was wondering if you could rent them at the event? Does anyone know?

We are trying to set up some sort of gear rental, but haven't been able to yet. So, no guarantees on that one...

Drew 600r
Fri Jan 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
So the guys that went last year, was it pretty caotic racing or very well set up? I know they have seperate sessions for racers and non, but I would probably not exactly push it to the limit since I just got a new ZX-6r. So would I be in the way of others or pose a risk for them or me. Just some background on what the pace is like would be helpful. ANd if anyone has a suit I could use, for a session or two would be great, or are will probably have to buy one.

Also would anyone be willing to hook me up with a ride there, being I could pay my own way and help out with costs?

rforsythe
Sat Jan 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Drew,

Initially we had racers and street bikes together last year; that was bad. After splitting it, things got a lot better. Just ride your own pace! You'd be amazed how many riders will be just like you, and not flying through corners. We WILL have FREE beginner track instruction available (also available for people who have been on a track, but want that basic instruction because they're uncomfortable just going out on their own), and the entire event is structured such that everyone has a great time.

By splitting the sessions last year we were able to abate most of the "hey I can do that too" crashing that was happening the first morning; this year, we're taking that a big step forward by also teaching people what to do in a no-pressure environment. Our new-rider classes are even going to be taught on a separate track at Miller, so you can focus on learning. If you need help on the track, just ask us! We'll gladly put you in one of our "Learn the Basics" classes, so that when you go out on the big track you're more comfortable and confident.

Every event we do, we learn more and make the next one better; we learned a ton at PPIR, and have put all of that knowledge and energy into making this next event a once-in-a-lifetime event for all participants. I've been in constant communication with our staff and volunteers, rider coaches, and the folks at Miller, and can tell you that we are committed to doing it right.

We won't do advanced instruction for free, though we will be offering group and one-on-one advanced instruction with our celebrity pro riders for an additional donation. That means you can get taught how to really fly out there by guys like E-Boz, Freddie Spencer, the Hayden brothers, and a lot more!

~Barn~
Sat Jan 21st, 2006, 12:20 PM
For anybody who is not able to actually participate in R2SL, I'd like to graciously ask that you pledge to the event, and consider doing it on my behalf.

Internet Pledge Form (http://www.racing2savelives.org/pledge.php?a=66&b=Brandon&c=Muniz)

That link is to my personal page of course, but even if you'd rather not pledge towards my efforts, I encourage you to support another racer/rider, or just donate to the general fund.

:up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jan 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hey Barn, I've got a name for your "race" team:

Team Shrek...... :D