PDA

View Full Version : Black Forest Rider Down... Hard!!!

Mac020
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Last Saturday 1/7/05 my good friend and riding partner went down hard trying to avoid a dog!

I didn't actually see him crash as I was in front but I know It was caused by a dog. I had to manuver to avoid it myself about 30 seconds earlier.

We had just left our houses and were still basically warming up the bikes and tires. Nothing crazy or different than a normal Saturday morning ride.

After stopping at an intersection, I continued ahead while he waited for the next car. He was a couple hundred yards behind as I crested this hill about 45mph. I kicked up to about 65-70 when I saw a dog start across the road in front of me. I hit the binders and tried to flash my brake light and stuck out my leg. I guess he didn't see anything.

By the time I got to the next intersection (1/4 mi) Matt was gone. I turned around and rode back. There he was lying in the road not moving. Meanwhile a car had stopped and were checking him out and trying to call 911. I was sure there was no cell service, but the firehouse was just down the road.

I told the people not to move him! And leave his helmet on! I turned around and went to the station. The paramedics got to him within 5 minutes. He still hadn't moved!

It looks like he grabbed too much front brake and flipped the bike (2003 999) over on top of himself.

He is pretty messed up. Broken neck (C2) exploded pelvis (Seven places), broken rib, and both hands are broken across the knuckles.

Thank God Matt always wears his gear. 1 piece leathers, Arai Helmet, back protector, gloves, and boots. I'm convinced he'd be dead if not for that. Good quality stuff also made a difference.

He is still in ICU and goes to the operating room today to repair his pelvis. Please give him a thought and or a prayer for a speedy recovery.

I don't blame the dog for the accident, It's the owners that are responsible for this one. People need to control their animals!

King Nothing
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Prayers for a quick and full recovery!

jermag24
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I was one of the Black Forest guys dispatched to that call, but we were diverted to another call on the way. That's really too bad, I'm really nervous about riding in such a wooded area myself. I had ridden my '04 GSXR750 to the station that day, so of course I got a rash of crap about "donor cycles".

I'll say a prayer for him, I hope he doesn't stop riding!

Mac020
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
First words out of his mouth: "How's the bike?"

Cleveland
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Best wishes for your friend.

Jenny
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
:(
I wish your friend a quick and full recovery.

sprtbkbabe
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I hope your friend gets better! :(

McVaaahhh
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I hope your friend has a quick and healthy recovery.

You said he had a broken C2, is their any concern about paralysis, or is he out of the woods on that?

Good thing nobody moved him, or took his helmet off!

Mac020
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
He has feeling and movement. Biggest problem is his pelvis.

Priller_Nate
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Dang..I ride through BF all the time! My prayers are with your friend for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Nathan

T-byrd
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Hate to hear about any rider going down. Good luck to your buddy, I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

Tanya

Mac020
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Matt just got out of surgery! Doc said things went well, but will need a hip replacement in a year or so.

He's still got a long road ahead of him. I'm just glad he's still alive and not paralized! He will get through this and I'm sure he'll ride again.

Looks like they will be able to fix his Duc and He has a couple of other bikes he needs to wear out.

NZ Darren
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Glad he is ok, sounds like some very painful injuries for him to deal with :(

rforsythe
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Glad your friend will be ok, that's a lot of broken bone to deal with. Hopefully he recovers 100%!

Also, good job on leaving him still with the lid on!

Dave
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Damn! Very sorry to learn about this Mac, I also hope for a full and speedy recovery. You really played it cool concerning the helmet and location of the emergency personnel.
Were you guys on the way to Pueblo for the track day?

KooLaid
Sat Jan 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Saw it in the news. I was wondering who it was....... I wish him a speedy recovery.

Seeing the bike in the back of the dodge dakota, it looks TOO bad from the side shots. They also mention something... not sure what... but some how I got the impression this guy is in late 50's? like 56?

Mista Black
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM
this sucks. i agree with you Mac that the owners of the dog should be held 100% responsible for this!!

BUT if any of you get in a situation like this with any animal smaller than a moose, please just hit the thing and kill it. you'll be a lot better off. I know people who've hit moose, elk, deer, etc and lived. most havent even fallen. so scrub off all the speed you can then get off the brakes and just hit it.

my .02... your milage my vary.

Get well soon Matt.

Bat
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Best of luck to your friend - I too hope for a full recovery for him.

Suz
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend Mac, thoughts and prayers are with him. Thanks for the update, too.. so glad that his surgery went well. Did anyone find out who the owners of the dog are? I totally agree, they should be held responsible for allowing their dog to roam around.

Lee
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM
What a bad accident. Thanks, Mac020, for posting about it. I am glad to read that Matt is alive, but personally distressed about the severity of his injuries.

My wife and I sincerely wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Lee

Mac020
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Damn! Very sorry to learn about this Mac, I also hope for a full and speedy recovery. You really played it cool concerning the helmet and location of the emergency personnel.
Were you guys on the way to Pueblo for the track day?

As a matter of fact we discussed going to the track that very morning. I was ready to load-up the bikes and go. Matt said he didn't want to spend all day at the track. I'm sure we would have had a better time! It woulda been cool seeing him blow by a few guys. Matt races vintage and is pretty fast especially on the 999. :(

S2RGRL
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend :( I wish him a full recovery.

~Barn~
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I'm happy to hear about the good news from the Doc's. Wish your friend our best, for a complete recovery.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
What a bad accident. Thanks, Mac020, for posting about it. I am glad to read that Matt is alive, but personally distressed about the severity of his injuries.

My wife and I sincerely wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Lee

:imwithstupid:

Hope he gets back at it soon.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Mac. Hope he recovers completely, and pls provide us with any updates on his condition.

Mac020
Sun Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Matt is still in ICU (2WKS) but he is getting better. They had to repair his pelvis and wired his neck C2 to C3. He is still in a lot of pain and has a long way to go, but I think he's going to make it through this and he will be able to ride again.

NZ Darren
Sun Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad he is getting better.
Sounds likie some horrible injuries.
I am on the north east side of town - so if he needs anything let me know.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
I hope Matt gets better soon. His injuries are very bad and will take a long time to heal. My thoughts are with him.

towneh
Mon Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Matt,
I am sorry to hear of your injuries. I pray for the needs of you and yours. Two-wheeled riding is a beautiful thing. I was recently humbled by road-incident myself but mine hung on some bad choices I made.

Keep on looking ahead, it'll get brighter.
Hayabago Henry

Shadowmaven
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 10:17 AM
My prayers are with your friend.

Mac020
Mon Jan 30th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Matt was released from ICU on Thursday (18 days). I saw him yesterday and he looks much better! He still has a long way to go. They are saying he will be in hospital for 6-8 more weeks. He has a pretty good attitude and is making jokes about the situation. He is glad to be alive and will work through this.

I haven't had a chance to ride since the accident. I think it may take awhile before I'm feeling comfortable again. Nobody thinks this stuff can happen to them. Really makes ya wanna keep the shiny side up.

Thank you all for the good word for Matt. I've been passing your messages along.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jan 30th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Great news! I hope he makes it through this as you say and rides again.

towneh
Mon Jan 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM
It is great to hear that Matt is outta ICU. From what you've said, he sounds positive and that is an important step to recovery! I think about the condition of my bike (and what i've got to do to fix it...) but we've got to make ourselves think about our own recovery first!
--Matt, give it the time it needs--
'Bago Henry

Mac020
Mon May 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Wanted to let ya'll know that Matt is almost back to his ole self. I wouldn't doubt if he starts riding here pretty soon. He looks like he may be able to start driving again shortly. It is truly amazing watching his recovery! It makes you realize the power of the human spirit! I can't wait till we can ride up to Woodland for breakfast again!

R1chie
Tue May 16th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Wanted to let ya'll know that Matt is almost back to his ole self. I wouldn't doubt if he starts riding here pretty soon. He looks like he may be able to start driving again shortly. It is truly amazing watching his recovery! It makes you realize the power of the human spirit! I can't wait till we can ride up to Woodland for breakfast again!

Glad to hear this. Hope to see him riding his bike soon.

Mac020
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well here it is 2 years later and Matt and I rode to Woodland Park Sunday!!!

I actually had to tell him to slow down a little! Geeze!

Amazing!!!

He holds the record for longest time spent in ICU @ Penrose.

mtnairlover
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Inspiring thread.

Aracheon
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
In the spirit of what's going on with Clarkie, this is absolutely amazing that your friend is back on the bike after that experience. Please give him a high five for me.

Wickid@$$Clown
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
Bravo..... :bananna:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM
:up:

FZRguy
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
I rode thru the Black Forest on Sunday and thought about this thread. Glad to hear that Matt has recovered and is riding again.

ChrisCBX
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Great news! :up:

bodhizafa
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
In the spirit of what's going on with Clarkie, this is absolutely amazing that your friend is back on the bike after that experience. Please give him a high five for me.

Didn't realize this thread was from 2006 until the end. Let's hope Clarkie takes a similar path and gets better.

pilot
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Matt you're a real trooper! Back in the saddle, too. This is great news.

Slo
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Didn't realize this thread was from 2006 until the end.

Same here, glad to hear things turned out well for your friend!!!

chad23
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
glad to hear he back in the saddle again

Moveman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Glad to hear he's back in action..

ghostrider_9
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing and coming back to update us all.

ihavealegohead
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
wow!!

Hope he gets well soon. He's in a lot worse shape then I was when I hit a full size deer at about the same speed -- That noted I sure can agree from personal experience that GEAR works!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
wow!!

Hope he gets well soon. He's in a lot worse shape then I was when I hit a full size deer at about the same speed -- That noted I sure can agree from personal experience that GEAR works!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=370483&postcount=36

ihavealegohead
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
dam old threads!!! Dam them straight to hell!! ! !

R1chie
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Glad he is back riding. It is amazing that just flipping your bike over the front could be so serious but even the smallest of accidents can have severe consiquences.

COS Mille
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Glad he's doing well, prayers are with him

Mac020
Thu Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
dam old threads!!! Dam them straight to hell!! ! !

Wow 7 years ago! If there's ever been an inspirational story about the love of riding.....

Matt's still kick'in and riding at 78! We plan on riding From Colorado to L.A. via Glacier next year. Hope I can keep up!

Patagonia and the Isle of Mann are still on the bucket list!

Hurray for the human spirit!

FZRguy
Thu Jan 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
Congrats to Matt! I can only hope to be walkin', talkin' at 78, much less still riding.