PDA

View Full Version : GEARING QUESTION

Devil954
Sat Nov 1st, 2003, 08:56 PM
Alright I am preping my bike for next season this is the first 1000 I have owned I am getting ready to order my sprocket set up I know I am going down one in front I am not sure about the rear anyone with a 1000 have any tips I am just looking for feedback I dont want to over or under do it I just want more go out of 2nd gear for coming out of corners I never use first gear and just need a little more bottom end. The reason I ask is my last bike was a 750 and I went down 1 and up 3 and still wanted more bottom end not sure on the 1000 though

Anonymous
Sat Nov 1st, 2003, 10:10 PM
Try riding it first and see if you really need to change it up. ;) You have a bit more power than that 750...

Devil954
Sat Nov 1st, 2003, 11:33 PM
I raced it last season . thats when I noticed the need for more speed coming out of corners in 2nd gear when I had the bike on the dyno they told me to break out of corners in between 7 and 9 thousand rpm and the stock gearing is a litttle to tall on this bike to hit corners at that speed , you know 7 to 9k in 2nd gear on this bike is friggen haulin ass

Anonymous
Sat Nov 1st, 2003, 11:40 PM
Oh ok.. :) Well, dropping one in the front would be a good place to start. It couldn't hurt to have an assortment of sprockets anyway...

Devil954
Sun Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
yeah if I had an assortment of money I would get an assortment of sprockets :lol:

Anonymous
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:10 AM
If you want to figure out what sprocket setup you need to achieve your goal, hopefully you know the approximate speed of the corners in question (ie: Rats Nest on my R1 is about 35 mph on exit), you can use this Speed Calculato (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html) I added to the site a long time ago. You'll need the Primary Reduction Ratio and gear ratio for 2nd gear (since that's the one you're concentrating on), as well as your tire size. Final Reduction Ratio is what you'll play around with (that'll be rear teeth divided by fron teeth). Good luck.

BigE
Wed Nov 5th, 2003, 08:40 PM
yeah if I had an assortment of money I would get an assortment of sprockets :lol:

:imwithstupid: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ain't that the truth!