PDA

View Full Version : Coaltion for the Homeless Please Read!

MileHighABusa
Sun Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:11 PM
Hey obviously the holidays are upon us. Me and some friends are going to be trying to raise money and or support for the rescue mission. I chose the Denver Rescue Mission to volunteer because they help single people as well as FAMILIES. They are trying to get 4000 turkeys for the holidays. I am going to go buy two or three. I know it wont even dent their needs, but its a start. I am also going to try and serve meals to the displaced people during the week. I will find out more this week about how we can all help. Please let me know if you can help by sponsering a family. We all complain about the weather and how we can't ride, but we all have a roof over our heads. If you have any questions call me later in the week 720-404-3256. Lets try as a club to make an effort.

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays, Chris

E-mail me at chriscporter2004@yahoo.com

http://www.denverrescuemission.org/

Chanda
Sun Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
I want to help out! Give me any information you can to support a family, go serve meals, donations. What ever I can do to help out.

NineTwoFour
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Maybe this ought to be a CSC event?

Get some volunteers from the group to go and serve, few more to get food donations. Would be a great way to help out others, while building up our bank of good Karma.

Big-J
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:45 AM
Maybe this ought to be a CSC event?

Get some volunteers from the group to go and serve, few more to get food donations. Would be a great way to help out others, while building up our bank of good Karma.

:up:
I would like to join in on this!!!

Hoopty
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:27 AM
You need to dude, your kharma is pretty bad right now. :321: :lol:

MileHighABusa
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Think about this at the end of the year do you ever reflect on the good and bad thing you have done.

Dysco
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:06 AM
Turkey run? I bet I can fit a few on the GS.

MileHighABusa
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
My sled is wrecked, but my company might lend me the use of a panel truck. We could find a drop off point contact the media (except channel 4) I still have bad blood with them due to the news story. I think we can contact Excel, CO Powersports, Vickery, etc. and solicit them also. We could do a Turkey run to all of the sportbike retailers that would be awesome. Call me if you can help put this together, and thanks again.

Chris

Sully
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM
I would be interested in volunteering to serve food. Let me know if anyone is up for that and when.

~Barn~
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:15 AM
I would be interested in volunteering to eat food.

Okay, so seriously Chris. Lemme know how I can help. I'll do what I can.

Chanda
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM
Chris you know I'm in for helping out in anyway I can.

I was poor once and a family adopted our famliy, gave us a turkey. I want to help out in anyway I can...

Sully
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Chris you know I'm in for helping out in anyway I can.

I was poor once and a family adopted our famliy, gave us a turkey. I want to help out in anyway I can...

I'm poor.. still poor, will always be poor!
Can someone adopt me?? :santa:

Chanda
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:51 PM
I'll adopt you!! I'm not poor anymore

MileHighABusa
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
The mission is all filled for volunteers I am now in contact with the Coalition for the Homeless to see where we can help I am going to be putting a flyer together to drop off at the various motorcycle shops this week. I am also going to challange the "HOGS" to raise some support for the homeless. Thanks once again for all the support that everyone has posted. If you know of any other companies :idea: besides the sportbike shops that want to donate FOOD, CANNED GOODS, CLOTHING, MONEY please let me know also. Every bit helps. Once again contact me soon with what you can do. Oh I forgot then had to edit, but anyway Manny Isler from Diamond Cabaret is going to help us in anyway that he can too.

FZRguy
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
I’ve supported the Denver Rescue Mission for years...they do excellent work. If we do a club thing, I’m in.

Anonymous
Mon Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:59 PM
Team Skinny Racing would like to help with this. :)

MileHighABusa
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Ok I went to the Denver Rescue Mission and met with the lady in charge of volunteers, they are full and need food but not actual serving help. I decided to contact another place the Coalition for the Homeless. They are in desperate need of assistance and have several ideas that we can do as well as some of my ideas. First off me and several other members are going to be putting together a Flyer to put up at the bike shops as well as YOUR work. We are going to initiate a Sportbike Jacket and Canned Food Drive. Its getting damn cold out there and the kids need coats as well as food. I will be contacting all of the bike shops to try to place donation boxes at their various locations. I will need help! Please call me and let me know what you are capable of doing on your end asap. I am also going to contact motorcycle shows to have them add this club to the radio spots they are going to be doing for the 23rd Annual CYCLE WORLD Motorcycle Show. We are going to get $1.00 off admission passes to hand out to people that donate 3 or more canned goods. This should help out plus get our club local recognition, hell maybe even a post in the magazine. The show is from Dec. 19th thru the 21st, Kewl huh! Hey thanks again to everyone who is helping already.

Anonymous
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Stickifyin this thing.

Well, we can certainly donate food, also let us know the details on where/when.

Sully
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 02:39 PM
I bet Ralph will donate Peanut Butter! :yumyum:

Anonymous
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I will definately be willing to donate and help out. I have a pickup truck & would be willing to pick up the collected donations from a few locations (or something like that/whatever's needed). If you can't get the panel truck from your company, I'm sure there are others here who would be willing to do the same.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I can drive and help if you need. I live northwest of lodo (45 miles) http://www.topgoldenretrieversites.net/smiles/thanksgiving/plenty2.gif

Dysco
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I will definately be willing to donate and help out. I have a pickup truck & would be willing to pick up the collected donations from a few locations (or something like that/whatever's needed). If you can't get the panel truck from your company, I'm sure there are others here who would be willing to do the same.

I can get a pickup, too.

MileHighABusa
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I own a mobile disc-jockey company I am going to see what I can do to try and get a warehouse or building downtown to throw a Christmas party for the homeless families that we are going to be helping. It will probably be a potluck or something along that line. I will also be needing Barn's help during this party, because I need someone to play Santa Claus. He He I also asked my son(7) to start doing more chores and things around the house to earn money, because I want him to adopt a child for Christmas. I dont think he fully understands what he is being asked to do right now, but I think he will when he meets the child that he chose to donate to.

Since my accident I have been going to see two orthopedic doctors. I mentioned our drive and they said they are going to help also.

MileHighABusa
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Top 3 Most Dangerous States for People Experiencing Homelessness

1. California
2. Colorado
3. Washington State

Top 20 Most Dangerous Cities for People Experiencing Homelessness

1. Denver, CO
2. Las Vegas, NV
3. Rapid City, SD
4. Toledo, OH
5. New York City, NY
6. Chicago, IL
7. Kansas City, MO - Portland, OR - Seattle, WA
8. Baltimore, MD - Colorado Springs, CO - Fort Worth, TX - Jeffersonville, IN - Los Angeles, CA - Raleigh, NC - San Diego, CA - Santa Cruz, CA
9. Albany, NY - Anchorage, AK
10. Tacoma, WA

This is part of a 4 year study done by the coalition, notice both Denver and The Springs are listed, especially Denver, hell we are #1

Big-J
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 06:44 PM
I was reading an article today and a study showed that Denver has close to 10,000 homeless. :shock: :shock: Thats a whole lot of people, the more help the better. I will call you tomorrow HighaBusa for more details and what not.

Anonymous
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Why are we the most dangerous? Just curious what that is based on...

Big-J
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Why are we the most dangerous? Just curious what that is based on...

I would think the cold weather has something to do with it, but can't really think of anything else. I don't "Denver" is all that bad, I think Albuquerque is more dangerous then Denver!!

amazzon
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 09:55 PM
...I'd love to help...Please let me know wacha need. Had the pleasure of feeding the homeless with Daddy Bruce years ago...can't beat the feeling of doing something good and heartfelt for someone ..there are alot of good folks who have just had a string of bad luck. :(

MileHighABusa
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 10:45 PM
I just moved from Albuquerque the Feb. before last. I did some volunteer work for the Albuquerque Rescue mission 2 years ago. Alb. has far les homeless and far less fatal hit and runs of homeless people.

This article was from the 2000 Rocky Mountain News "A jury on Monday will begin deliberating the fate of Christopher Ball, who could face life in prison for the killing of a homeless man.

The Denver district attorney is prosecuting Ball, 16, and two other young men in the fatal beating of Melvin Washington, 47, on Sept. 8."

another clip from 2000 said
"Colorado Springs police and Denver detectives are trying to determine whether the assaults and slayings of homeless men in both cities are connected."

Wahooman
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 11:01 PM
This all sounds great. #1 helping the needy is cool, #2 what a great way to get the club involved and get name out that we do more than just tear up the streets as we see on the news!
I will be willing to help if we know some dates. I have trucks etc....to help out.
If flyers are being made let us know how we can get them. I would like to put them at my automotive service center....we usually get a lot of repsonse and donations for things like this.
If we can get a lot of us involved I think it would be cool, maybe we would even have our hoodies by then and look like we are an organized group.....let me know what I can do. :D

MileHighABusa
Tue Nov 4th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I am going to have Flyer made tomorrow call me and let me know how many you need. I will also need a list of locations so we can keep track of the donations. I will be contacting the local radio and TV stations soon. I want to also involve the MRA in this endeavor. We need some good publicity for a change. I am going to be meeting with the lady at the coalition hopefully this week. Thanks

Anonymous
Wed Nov 5th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Chris please send a PDF of your flyer, I'll just print out what I need.

How were you wanting to handle donations?

MileHighABusa
Wed Nov 5th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Call me for donations the checks should say

"Colorado Coalition for the Homeless"

Cash please put in an envelope seal it and put your name on the envelope.

MileHighABusa
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 11:15 AM
I am meeting with the coalition today for lunch. I will be contacting everyone this weekend with what I am going to need.

"Many hands make light work."
Last of the Mohicans, or something like that

Chanda
Sun Nov 9th, 2003, 12:02 PM
As you and I spoke at dinner the other night, my company is willing to put out boxes so the employees can bring canned food in and since you work so close to where I work it will bge easy for us to get them picked up. Also there are many people here that want to donante clothes.

The flyers look great and we'll get together so I can get some to pass out here at work...