PDA

View Full Version : well i did it ....

d2deluxe
Tue Jan 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I have my mra papers filled out, sealed up and in the mail. I am pretty excited for the class coming up in the next few months.

any tips any mra members can give me now would be really cool. I have my bike setup with a steering damper and frame sliders for the class it self, is there any thing else i should know of keep in mind.

:bananna:

Bueller
Tue Jan 24th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Keep an eye on the MRA Forum, right now there is much disscussion on the saftey wire and tech requirements for next year.
Read the rule book, then re-read the rule book and then read the rule book (including new changes), it will answer almost all the questions you'll have.

Oh, and when you flush the antifreeze out of your bike, flush it a few times to get it all. ;)

JOE!!!!!!
Tue Jan 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Be sure to have fresh tires. You won't need race tires, decent street/track tires (Michelin Pilot Power, Dunlop 208ZR-or the new Qualifier, Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Bridgestone BT014, etc, etc) will be fine for the class. If you have the slightest doubt about your rubber, get some new. If you do the class on brand new tires, make sure they get scrubbed in before you romp on 'em.

Lel
Tue Jan 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Grats!

Safety wire! dont go out on a track w/o doing it... not for others safety but your own.

Joe is right about tires; though I would recommend a set of trackday tires like the Dunlop US GPA's or the Michelin H2's... or go full out for the Dunlop GP or Michelin/Pirelli/Bridgestone Race tires. Its a lot cheaper to buy the right set of tires off the bat then to crash and have to pay for a broken bike or broken body. Tires are cheap in comparisson.

To give you an idea on price, a set of Dunlop 208 GPA's will run you 265+tax mounted and balanced from Faster; up to 385 a set for slicks.

Jason

Dan Audette
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Congrats!
Also here's a tip:
Check your tire pressure!

cu360r6
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
There are no awards for winning practice. Make sure you go slow your first few laps, get well adjusted to the track, and then step it up gradually and progressivly each session.

Don't leave anything to work on for the morning of a race/track day. Check everything over a few days ahead.

Commonly Forgot Items (for me)

Tire Pressure, Esp. When Changing Wheels
Gas Tank Filled
Ignition Key Left On
Transponder
Contingency Forms

Have a FRIGGEN BLAST this year. I'm going to miss being a novice.

Fly boy
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
n00b here.... Proper tire pressure I assume is based off of what the wheel says? or is there a set amount people usually shoot for?

cu360r6
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
It's based on each individual tire maker's recomendations. For example I ususally run 29 lbs front and 28 rear for Dunlop slicks.

Fly boy
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM
It's based on each individual tire maker's recomendations. For example I ususally run 29 lbs front and 28 rear for Dunlop slicks.

That seems low to me, is that what is suggested, or is it better to run more or less pressure?

I guess I am used to a car tire 35-50

Bueller
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM
That is for race tires on a race track.

Mel
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
That seems low to me, is that what is suggested, or is it better to run more or less pressure?

I guess I am used to a car tire 35-50

The wheel of you bike will not tell you anything about pressure. Car ties and bike tires are two different things, so I don't suggest going off what you know about car tires on the track.
And if you are running a GOOD set of tires (not just your basic street stuff) you can go with manufacturers specs...if you are running street/track tires (i.e. pilots) you are gonna run slightly less at the track than street (or so I have been told) but not less than 28/29 ish (I think I ran mine at 30 and 32 last time out).

cu360r6
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Car tire pressures are usually set when hot. These are COLD pressures, so keep in mind that they will rise substantially on the track. I think Dunlop recomends about 34lbs as a hot pressure in the tires I run.

Lurch
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM
You made the first step. ASK QUESTIONS and if you don't like the answer ASK SOMEONE ELSE. As a past MRA instructor I found that everyone teachs and learns differently. So when you get to the class and are assigned a teacher if you don't understand them or you think you can go faster or slower for that matter ask Mark S. to put you with a different instructor.

Also go to as many trackdays with current racers as you can and ask question. We will all give you a hand till you get faster then us then you can just eff off.

Lurch

ebazyl
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM
What tires do you have on there now?

JOE!!!!!!
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM
We will all give you a hand till you get faster then us then you can just eff off.

Lurch

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dizzy D
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
safety wire

safety wire

and some

safety wire

rforsythe
Wed Jan 25th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Consult your tire vendor (or the manufacturer's vendor if you're running street tires) on pressure.

For reference, Michelin Pilot Power (streeet) tires, 31psi front/rear is a good place to start. On the Mich Power Race DOT's I think I had 31 in the front, and the back was almost always at 22. (Yes, 22)

Even for a street tire, you will run lower pressure on the track! If you run Dunlops ask Faster, if you use Bridgestones ask TK, if you use Pirelli ask ... well, whoever does Pirelli (I don't know who that is). Don't ask the shop you bought them from, because unless they sell tires at the track they probably won't know.

FWIW all of these vendors will be at your school, and tire pressure selection and checking will be part of your class because it's that important.