PDA

View Full Version : The "secret" to fixing broken plastic and tabs

Airreed
Tue Dec 17th, 2002, 01:32 PM
I bought a product called PLASTEX off the 'net a few weeks ago, had a small crack on my upper cowling and ripped a tab off the same cowling taking the headlamp off.

Anyways the stuff worked like a charm, I paid 30 bucks versus buying new plastic.....

Im sure all of our wives or girlfriends get their nails done...well the arclylic material is the secret product(no joke).....you can probably go to the local beauty shop and get the stuff for half the price. Its a straight forward process to use, mix the powder and liquid and it hardens in minutes.

If anyone has some cracked or broken plastic, I'd be more than happy to fix it for you.

Laters

Jason
Airreed

Hoopty
Tue Dec 17th, 2002, 01:47 PM
I have a small crack on one of my fairings, I'd be interested in seeing how well it works for future use (as in I don't really care what happens to this fairing, but I wouldn't want to try it on a good fairing).

haywood jablome
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 02:05 PM
where did you get it from?

haywood jablome
Sat Dec 28th, 2002, 11:25 PM
what site did you get it off of? I would like to get some to try on my newly broken farring.

Airreed
Mon Dec 30th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Here you go,

www.plastex.net

haywood jablome
Mon Dec 30th, 2002, 10:11 PM
thank you ill have to take a look. How hard was it to use?

Airreed
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 10:14 AM
Its pretty easy to use. On the inside of the plastic you will want to file a small groove(i used a cheap nail file) then you fill the groove with the white powder followed by applying the liquid. In a few minutes it will harden.

My cracks are all filled and now getting a "custom paint" job, so if you want to use some, feel free to get a hold of me at jason.reed@co.ngb.army.mil (im in the metro area)

mikesf4i
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 02:16 AM
You should be sure to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep the crack from continuing to spread. Even if the crack is filled it may continue to crack because of the stress ( vibration ) on the part.

Big-J
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:39 AM
Thats a good point Mike! Does it work for big cracks or just minor ones. I have a friend who has a pretty big crack on his upper fairing where the miror is at.

mikesf4i
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:17 AM
It works for all cracks.There is a rule of thumb on the size of the hole you will need to drill but i dont know what it is. i do know it needs to be larger in diameter than the crack is wide. Ill ask one of the sheet metal guys at work what the deal is on hole size.

mikesf4i
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM
I asked one of the guys at work and he said that the official recommendation from the FAA is 1/4 inch. But he said it normally can vary according to material thickness. The thinner the material the smaller the hole. He said a 1/4 inch hole would work good in a fairing for a bike.