PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Design/Tech Book??

mra828
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 12:29 PM
For some reason my [admitedly questionable :? ] memory recalls that a few years ago a book was written by a bunch of Aprilia engineers. The book [at least as far as I remember... :dunno: ] was a detailed explanation of the principles used to design a motorcycle... everything from benifits of COG placement to chassis geometry design, etc.

Does anyone know if such a book exist or am I just making this up?

(if it does exist - Title and Author would be appreciated)

geoff

Nick_Ninja
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Here it is:

Motorcycle Design & Technology: How and Why
by Gaetano Cocco

A highly detailed and complex book that explains all of the physics involved in motorcycles. Mr. Cocco is involved in engineering at Aprilia motorcycles. The book contains explanations and mathematical formulae that explain all aspects of motorcycle functionality, including: How motorcycles balance; how they keep control when cornering; the forces acting upon motorcycles; how traction and braking forces are distributed; interaction of ground and motorcycle through the tires; motorcycle vibration issues; bodywork and dynamics; engines; the frame; and front and rear suspension dynamics. The book is well illustrated and although I skipped most of the mathematical formulae, the book provides a deep discussion of the complex engineering that is a motorcycle. Makes for fascinating reading and is an excellent resource.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/8879111892.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mra828
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 12:56 PM
:up:

Thanks!

Anonymous
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Here it is:

by Gaetano Cocco

Is there any motorcycle-related web-resource that you don't know about?!? :bow:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Spiderman wrote:

Is there any motorcycle-related web-resource that you don't know about?!?

Mine is more of an addiction than you will ever know. :D I think I need to say thanks here :?

Anonymous
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Mine is more of an addiction than you will ever know. :D I think I need to say thanks here :?No - it is us that need to to thank you! :D

Boy Scout
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Here it is:

by Gaetano Cocco

A highly detailed and complex book that explains all of the physics involved in motorcycles. Mr. Cocco is involved in engineering at Aprilia motorcycles. The book contains explanations and mathematical formulae that explain all aspects of motorcycle functionality, including: How motorcycles balance; how they keep control when cornering; the forces acting upon motorcycles; how traction and braking forces are distributed; interaction of ground and motorcycle through the tires; motorcycle vibration issues; bodywork and dynamics; engines; the frame; and front and rear suspension dynamics. The book is well illustrated and although I skipped most of the mathematical formulae, the book provides a deep discussion of the complex engineering that is a motorcycle. Makes for fascinating reading and is an excellent resource.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/8879111892.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

By any chance does it put to rest the countersteering dispute? :lol: :lol: :lol:

yakuza
Fri Nov 7th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Hey Geoff, Dave owns a copy of this book, and has some opinions about it as I recall. He liked it, but I think it went waaaay in-depth, which would be great if you were wanting to create your own bike. :up:

mra828
Sat Nov 8th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Hey Geoff, Dave owns a copy of this book, and has some opinions about it as I recall. He liked it, but I think it went waaaay in-depth, which would be great if you were wanting to create your own bike. :up:

Somehow I thought he might have it - if anyone did. I might have to bribe him into letting me borrow it - considering it seems to be out of print and VERY pricey.

Have I mentioned recently what a fine gentleman that Dave guy is?

:D

geoff

irdave
Sun Nov 9th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Whatever, there fruitcake.

Yeah, I got a copy. Yeah, it was expensive. The girl is writing a paper right now about how/why motorcycles/single track vehicles stay upright- some physics class (did I mention she was smart?)... As soon as she's done you are welcome to use it.

Building that thumper?