PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tires online?

TurboGizzmo
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
so i stumbled onto Ron Ayers online and their tire prices seems to be cheaper than anyone locally. Is it a good idea to order from them or is there even better place online or should i stick to local?

~Barn~
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Ron Ayers is a good shop. They come highly recommended by several people here on the CSC.

If their tire price (including the shipping), is beating anything you're seeing locally, then I say run with it. :up:

So long as you don't mind the delay in getting them, of course.

Spiderman
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Be forewarned - some shops will charge more to mount & balance tires that weren't bought through them. You may still end out ahead, but not by much.

I've never ordered tires online, but I have ordered from Ron Ayers before and give them a :up: .

To the best of my knowledge, the cheapest place locally would be Performance Cycle, but they do not do any service, so you would have to have them mounted/balanced elsewhere. TK could do that for you, and they'd even be on the way home from Performance for you! :lol: Information for both of these vendors can be had by clicking on the image in my sig. 8)

ebazyl
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I would not let the tire mounting and balancing scare you. You can do all of that yourself (other then actualy putting on the tire, which should only cost you $10/per tire ... Talk to Dean Whittinger). If you need help getting the tires off let me know.

99GSXR750
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I got mine from here. http://www.imotorcyclestore.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart/enter.html?E+ims
And twin peaks mounted and balanced it for $20. Got the tire shipped for $130. Metzler Sportec M-1 rear.

kevplus2
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
have purchased 3 sets through swmoto tires (http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?) and haven't had a problem yet. tires were fresh and prices were great

Airreed
Tue Mar 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Give the guys at TFOG a call (near West Denver) I've been buying tires and gettting the mounting from them for years.

They have the best prices on Metzlers in town!

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I have found tires on-line slightly cheaper than Performance Cycle, but by the time you pay for shipping, it would have been cheaper to just pay the tax and get them at Performance.

As for mounting and balancing, I can do that for ya. Like ebazyl said, for $10 a wheel. I have the same type tire machine and static balancer that TK, Faster, and Mark Schellinger (VanMar Racing) use.

If you already know how to use the machine, then you can do it yourself, no charge. :D

Sully
Wed Mar 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I only know how to use machines that take batteries :?

:lol:.. just kidding.. !!

Dean - I'm going to be hitting you up for your servies here soon :eyebrows: ... I also need to do the pinstriping on my rims while you have my tires off... :yumyum:

NealJB
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Ive done a lot of looking around online and calling shops. Here is the comparison I got:

Michelin Pilot Power:
Performance Cycle price: $145
Lowest online price with shipping: $120 (+/-)
TK motorsports charge for mount/balance: $30

I think you can find some good deals, especially if you are going for a more expensive tire.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Dean - I'm going to be hitting you up for your servies here soon :eyebrows: ... I also need to do the pinstriping on my rims while you have my tires off... :yumyum:

I'll be more than happy to mount you... I mean, mount and balance your tires. I'm pretty sure you can do the pinstriping with the wheels on.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Michelin Pilot Power:
Performance Cycle price: $145
Lowest online price with shipping: $120 (+/-)
TK motorsports charge for mount/balance: $30

Last time I looked on-line, I was hunting Dunlop. Now, I'm on Michelin and that's a pretty damn good price!! What site did you find those on?

NealJB
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Well Dean looks like I was sort of duped. The site I checked out didnt give you the FINAL shipping price until after you registered. Looks like with actual shipping the price would be more like $135. But since you dont pay tax, you might actual still save about $15.

Sites I found are:
Southwest Moto Tires - on another forum, heard this place was good and had great customer service. Also, if you buy 2 or more tires, then shipping is FREE! Had some of the lowest prices I found too (Pilot Power for $122 plus shipping)

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SWMT

Indy Superbikes - just found this place while browsing. Good selection and seemed to be a good all around company. Had the lowest price on the tire ($119 plus shipping). Just be careful - they say "N/A" on shipping until you register!

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=22998

You do mounting and balancing? WOW! What side of town do you live on? If I could make it, Id give you $10 and a six pack in exchange for your "services" (you know what Im talking about :eyebrows: ) HAHAHAHA

NealJB
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM
OK here's another one! Ron Ayers has the best prices (Pilot Power $118) and only $10 shipping on all tires!!!

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/tires/parts.cfm?secid=1&type=43

DAMN!!! :o

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
You do mounting and balancing? WOW! What side of town do you live on? If I could make it, Id give you $10 and a six pack in exchange for your "services" (you know what Im talking about :eyebrows: ) HAHAHAHA

I'm in Aurora at Buckley and Hamden. I work at home, so I can pretty much meet anyone's schedule.

NealJB
Fri Mar 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sweet - thanks! Im probably gonna be getting a tire in the next few weeks so I'll PM you. Gotta get the cash for the tire first so might be a while. Thanks for your generous offer!

Neal

HDave
Sun Mar 26th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Kneedraggers was the cheapest I found today. I was looking for Diablos - $250 for the pair shipped.

Shadowmaven
Sun Mar 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I don't know what you guys think of Affordable motorcycle tires & acc. on Jackson and 40th but I priced metzler m3's there for around $230 for the pair. I didn't get them because mounting was $30 a tire. Way to much for me.

Mista Black
Mon Mar 27th, 2006, 01:46 AM
http://www.swmototires.com/

prices are about as good as you find anymore (and almost always better). and shipping is FREE if you order a set of tires (which i know a lot of you do). if you have a hook up mounting (which i do), online is the way to go. i may go through 4 to 7 sets of tires a year (depends on the year) so i like to save $$$ where i can.

all are sets of 120/180's:
M1s - $205.90 delivered
PilotPs - $231.90 delivered
208GPs - $306.90 delivered (soft or hard are the same $)
diablos - $244.90 delivered

they're pretty good across the board if you can get em mounted cheap

Mista Black
Mon Mar 27th, 2006, 02:00 AM
i have also used http://www.americanmototire.com/ a decent amount. every now and then i'll find a specific tire at a killer price here.

RocketJohn
Tue May 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
what the heck ever happened to Discount Motorcycle Tires...

Mel
Tue May 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Ummmm, there was an article about it somewhere...the gist of it was that there was a falling out between the two owners, one went in and repossessed all the stock from the other one, and, well, the story went from there.
I *believe* one of the two went on and started another similar company, I had his number around here somewhere....I will see what I can do to find it. When I purchased tires (3 weeks ago ish) I went through Performance Cycle after looking around at several options. From what I was able to find, they have very little mark up on tires down there, and pretty much can't be beat locally. Grand Prix also advertises that they do half price dunlops in the store, catch is you have to get them mounted there.

RocketJohn
Tue May 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
When I purchased tires (3 weeks ago ish) I went through Performance Cycle after looking around at several options. From what I was able to find, they have very little mark up on tires down there, and pretty much can't be beat locally.
agreed... I just picked up a set of BStone 014 from Performance... I call ahead, they hold them for me, great service, great prices... why on God's green earth did they do away with their service dept.?