PDA

View Full Version : Fatter tire on an F2

Cap
Wed Dec 18th, 2002, 01:47 PM
OK, I'm going to get myself an old F2 racebike from someone in the MRA, and he mantioned that I might be able to put an F3 rear wheel on it, so I can use bigger (widder) rear tires. I've been doing a lot of checking, and the F3 came with a 5.0 inch wide rear wheel, while the F2 only came with a 4.5 inch wide rear. Now, I'd like to use the latest and greatest tires, but when I go to www.rockymountainracetire.com I see that they olny carry the D 208 GP in 150/60X17 or 180/55X17. I want to put a 170/60X17 on it, but the widest tire recomended for a 4.5 inch rim is a 160/60X17. So I got to thinking what about putting an early model 93 or so 900RR rim on it. That would let me run up to a 180/55, as long as there was room between the swingarm and the tire, and if it wouldn't put the chain to far out of whack. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Thanks, Cap

Hoopty
Wed Dec 18th, 2002, 02:07 PM
I dunno about the rim-swap, seems like a 180 is too big for an F2. I would suggest just using a different tire. I hear the Pilot Race H2's are great, and they have them in alot of sizes.
http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com/mich_s.html?mgiToken=1HHH0BDK59CF514F1KJF

Cap
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 07:25 PM
How did this turn into a tire brand question, I'm sorry if I implied that I was looking for advise about tire brands.

Anonymous
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 08:41 PM
It would seem to me his reply was in line with the thread... He was suggesting that a larger rim might not fit your bike, and to just get the best tires in your size... And recommended a brand in the process.

IMO a narrower tire will turn a lot quicker as well, but I'm sure you lose something in the process as well. Of course on an F2 you're not as worried about putting power down as say, a liter bike, so the width isn't as important in that regard... Dunno, just throwing this out there.

Hoopty
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 08:05 AM
How did this turn into a tire brand question

Because going through all the hassles and downsides of a bigger, heavier, wheel and tire just to have a certain tire brand seems rediculous to me, so I thought I would suggest an easier and most likely better option. :D :P

Burnout
Mon Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't go up .5 inches on a wheel because of the chain line thing. It might be a big pain to try to line everything up again. Why don't you buy that TLR?

Anonymous
Mon Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
FYI this was posted online, I think on the MRA site. Unsure if it was the same guy or not, but FYI:

Race Parts for Sale
91-94 Honda CBR600F2
Dec 4 2002: Parting out race bike. The following parts are in excellent
conditions and have 2 race weekends on them since purchased new or
professionally rebuilt. '94 F2 Forks, Full Racetech revalve w/0.90
springs (have valving info too), Fox TC Rear Shock, EBC Cast Iron Race
Rotors. Also have lot's of other used race/standard parts for sale
(Aftermarket Case Covers, Gearing, Wheels, lots of other stuff) so call
with needs.

Price: $
Geoff Snyder, 303-449-4767 gsnyder828@msn.com

Cap
Mon Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
The TLR(b bike) is being converted to a naked street racer. It looks pretty cool, so far. The other TLR(a bike) might be on the sale block next, as we found out at the show that Suzuki is most likely going to drop it from the production line next year(2004) and they are not going to be offering any contingencies for it in the 2003 season, either. So, I would imagine that you won't be seeing many more of them on the tracks. I don't have the $ for the TLR at this time, and I'm getting a really good deal on the old F2, so it should be fun. I just wanted to get some more rubber under the rear. After talking with my tire sponsor, he assured me that with the popularity of the SV650, Dunlop has a rear tire that will work on my narrow F2 wheel.

jwimbauer
Wed Jan 1st, 2003, 11:20 AM
The TLR(b bike) is being converted to a naked street racer. It looks pretty cool, so far. The other TLR(a bike) might be on the sale block next, as we found out at the show that Suzuki is most likely going to drop it from the production line next year(2004) and they are not going to be offering any contingencies for it in the 2003 season, either. So, I would imagine that you won't be seeing many more of them on the tracks. I don't have the $ for the TLR at this time, and I'm getting a really good deal on the old F2, so it should be fun. I just wanted to get some more rubber under the rear. After talking with my tire sponsor, he assured me that with the popularity of the SV650, Dunlop has a rear tire that will work on my narrow F2 wheel.

Hey Cap,

Since we've been racing SVs for several years now - it's finally time that the different manufacturers are coming out with decent, actually good tires for the 4.5 inch rim.

One of my friends, who also happened to win the Grand National Suzuki Finals at Road Atlanta runs the Pirelli/Metzeler 150 rear. Michelin is making a slick for the SV now and Bridgestone is also making a 160 rear for the 4.5 inch. I am not sure of the Dunlop lineup for 2002/2003.

These sticky tires (DOTs or Slicks) require a real good suspension setup since the F2 has much more frame flex than newer bikes. So, take your time and dial in the suspension to your liking.

Good luck

Jurgen

Hoopty
Thu Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM
Jurgen, I have an SV that I'm hoping to race the season after next (2004) and I could really use some help/info. Can you send me a PM or an email to djvandy21@yahoo.com ? Thanks, Dave :)

jwimbauer
Thu Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM
Jurgen, I have an SV that I'm hoping to race the season after next (2004) and I could really use some help/info. Can you send me a PM or an email to djvandy21@yahoo.com ? Thanks, Dave :)

check your email - I'll try answer all your questions.

Hoopty
Thu Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Cool, thanks. :)