PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk tire warmers/generators

BlueDevil
Thu Nov 20th, 2003, 06:28 AM
So the cold track days lately have really shown me the importance of having warm tires. I know when racing its not a must, but I also see very clear advantages to having them. For example getting off the line and into that first corner with confidence. So I have decided to work on getting a set. I found a set at a pretty good price but it appears Im gonna need some power to make em work. I have been looking around at generators and such for a few weeks now. Alex sent me some good links at a few to look at.

Just wondering if you all would give me a quick run down of the procedure for using tire warmers. Not how to put them on kinda stuff, but more like how long to U run them? When do U turn them on, off and such during a race day? Also, I see that most of them say 2.5 or 3 hrs, etc at half load. Well I know a full race day is more than that, so do U run them when ever U R not currently racing? or ? Also, do U all bring a little spare pump gas in case they run out? Give me the skinny...............

Thanks as always
D

Hoopty
Thu Nov 20th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I need to score some tire warmers and a generator too. Hook us up! :D

Anonymous
Thu Nov 20th, 2003, 09:56 AM
I thought somebody (Mark Schellinger maybe???) told me that you only needed to have the tire warmers on for about 45 min - 1 hr.

As for a generator, Alex posted once that he rents a generator and splits the cost with Bryce (when power is not available at the track). There's more discussion on tire warmers & generators in this thread:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=25020&highlight=#25020

yakuza
Thu Nov 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Yeah, what SpiderBob said. And you don't have to run the generator all the time, only when you're wanting to warm your ties. Yes, you'll need to bring pump gas to run the generator.

How long you keep the tire warmers on has many variables, depending on ambient temperature, tire brand, tire warmer brand, etc. From the research I've done (extensive reading on the WERA BBS, etc) it seems the Michelins like to be on warmers for 45min - 1hour. My experience with Metzeler/Pirelli is that they heat up very quickly, and only need 20-30min on the warmers. I've gone out with them only on warmers for 10 or 15 minutes when I've missed a call, and with the warmup lap they were fine to rail into turn 1.

Edit: One other thought -- 5 of our 10 races next year are at SCR, which has power available if you get there early enough. PPIR also has power, again if you get there early enough to get a garage. La Junta has limited power available (again, get there early), and Pueblo is talking about installing power like SCR sometime soon (next year or so?). This would leave limited times when you'd be without power, and you could then easily rent one and split the cost. This would be a cheaper alternative than a new $400+ generator.

BlueDevil
Sun Nov 23rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link Spiderman, That thread is what got me thinking about it. But our last track day at SCR got me really interested. I really dont want to play catch up in a race waiting for tires to heat up. Like Alex said in the last thread mentioned, "U need em if U want to go balls out into turn 1." Well I thought about that comment for a long time and decided ........well hell, its a race that I think everyone is there to win....... so yeah I want to go balls out into turn 1.

I am an early riser and will generally get to the races first thing, but I dont want to worry about not having power if I need it. Plus I love to go camping and such so the generator will have its value in the long run. Also, I have a ton of gift cert's so the price will be dramatically reduced out of pocket. 8)

So Im gonna go for it. Hell Im already nearing 9K invested in the first season and it hasnt even started yet, so whats another ~400? haha (9K includes race bike bought just for this purpose)

Anyway, thanks everyone. U R a big help.