PDA

View Full Version : CO Powersports Denver (off of 104th) service department

green_zx7r
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I have a flat rear tire (just bought the bastard too...), and am thinking of going to get it replaced at the closest bike dealer which is "CO Powersports Denver (off of 104th)".

Any reputation issues with their service department? It's just a simple rear tire change, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yusuke

UglyDogRacing
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Hello,

I have a flat rear tire (just bought the bastard too...), and am thinking of going to get it replaced at the closest bike dealer which is "CO Powersports Denver (off of 104th)".

Any reputation issues with their service department? It's just a simple rear tire change, but I wanted to make sure.

Yusuke

Not to take away business from my friends at CoPowersports, but you would get a better deal if you went to Discount Motorcycle Tire (http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com/)

Also, if you want Michelin, Pirelli, or Metzler, Mark at Vanmar Racing (http://www.vanmarracing.com/) has good prices.

green_zx7r
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Here is a follow up question. Is it ever possible to patch up a motorcycle tire instead of replacing it? Or once you have a flat, you should always replace it?

Yusuke

jontflesh
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Here is a follow up question. Is it ever possible to patch up a motorcycle tire instead of replacing it? Or once you have a flat, you should always replace it?

Yusuke
You will get many different answers for that.
I have had a tire patched in the past but I would not trust it for very long.

Another vote for Discount Motorcycle Tire on my side. They are really cheap and stand up guys in all my dealings :)

jontflesh

Nick_Ninja
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM
It depends on what the damage is -- where it is located -- how you intend to ride -- how much you value your presence on this earth -- and what your bank sez you can spend.

I'v run on a plug (x2) before but only from CO Springs back home (120 mi.) Most reputable dealerships will not plug a tire. You would have to get the kit and do-it-yerself. If you can, replace the tire. You will not regret it.

green_zx7r
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 04:50 PM
I didn't know Discount Motorcycle Tires was in Arvada. Great. That's not too far from my house.
I think I can make it there with my wife driving behind me with the air-compressor.

Thanks for your answers. Sounds like if I would like to keep my life, I should just buy another rear.

Thanks all for your quick answers.

Yusuke

haywood jablome
Thu Dec 19th, 2002, 11:12 PM
I would say discount motorcycle tire also. Cheep but good and they are good people. Some have attitudes but all in all they are great people.

Hoopty
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 08:14 AM
zx6r- though I have never used a plug on one of MY tires, I did plug a friends GSXR600 rear tire, and it has lasted more than 1500 miles since being plugged. It has seen over 120MPH and wheelies etc with no problems. If you do plug it, just remember to check the air pressure often. PS- I have plugs at my house if you're interested... Also, I would not suggest plugging a front tire, as I feel it's alot more dangerous to lose air in the front than in the rear.

*Edit*- For a new tire I would have to suggest Discount as well. 8)

Bigtime73
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Go with Vanmar..Mark is da man!! :)

green_zx7r
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

I just went to Discount Motorcycle Tires and they were great. Got my bike in and out in less than 45min. The tire was at least $40 cheaper than where I got the last one, so I saved some good money as well.

Thanks again. I know where to go now, and recommend tire replacement for other riders.

ZX6R_RED

haywood jablome
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 02:26 PM
discount RULES glad we could help

Hoopty
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Hell yeah, I recommend DMT to everyone I know. :up:

haywood jablome
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 03:26 PM
the only place i will go

BlueDevil
Thu Dec 26th, 2002, 10:33 AM
I know U have most likely already gotten this fixed. But I would agree with Discount Motorcycle Tire. They are fast and usually cheaper than any other shop. Its worth it to go there.

My last trip there I had new tires done. They said give it a half hour or so to be finished. About 15mins later it was ready to roll.

mikesf4i
Wed Feb 12th, 2003, 09:07 PM
just letting you guys know...... i picked up a small nail in my rear tire and couldnt see spending the dough for a new one since this one only had about 1500 miles on it and i seem to always get nails in my truck tires. I put a plug in it and checked my tire pressure everytime i stopped. It never leaked. I did pull the tire off the rim and put a patch on it about 500 miles later, which has also never leaked. the tire now has over 6000 miles on it and i still have had no problems.It has also seen the far side of 140 mph and many many lame attepts at wheelies and a burnout in my driveway for the kids.

Dysco
Thu Feb 13th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Hey Mike- How'd you plug your tire? I used the string kind to plug a hole caused by a drill bit in the studding process on my knobbies. It's worked great so far- tested to the near side of 80MPH- no wheelies, just snow and ice...

mikesf4i
Mon Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:48 PM
i bought a plug kit at performance, then i later pulled the tire and used a patch from NAPA.

Sorry it took so long to reply

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Guys Guys Guys........... No offense intended but Y the hell are CO Powersports so high on price? We all know the internet has some great deals but even other retail chains are killing CO Powersports on price in parts and access. I dont run a shop but I would think a more comp price would drive more biz and there for more revenue.

As an example: EBC 252HH pads sold on the net as low as 25.00.
Most retails stores 30.00 - 33.00
CO Powersports 40.00

Even with shipping and or taxes others are still cheaper than your price before all of that junk.

Other example: Head Bearings tightened up (Not replacing)
Other retail stores as low as 60.00 for the job
CO Powersports quoted me 120.00
*Ended up doing it myself in the garage in less than an hour and a buddies help getting it off the ground. 00.00 in parts needed.

I could see a few dollars +or- but such a dramatic increase? Im afraid Ive set down my last dollar in that store. Other than warranty work Im sure I will not need a single thing there I cant find somewhere else.

**Once again I know a few of you on this board work there and I mean no offense, just my own observations**

NineTwoFour
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
My experience at most shops, including CO powersports is that if you ask them for a better price you will usually get one.

Makes good buisness sense to have a high markup so that you make a lot of money off of your uneducated buyers. But have the flexibility that you can give deals to the educated consumer who asks, or to the regular that you would like to see in again.

I myself am not much of one for hagling. But I love convenience. So if I can go into a local shop and ask them to match a price I found and they will, I am happy as hell. Unfortunately none of the shops around here stock much of anything, so I usually just buy my stuff off the net.

BlueDevil
Tue Jun 24th, 2003, 03:34 PM
They did drop the price but unfortunately cant match from 40.00 to 25.0 cause its below their cost. So I did get some money off but I didnt feel any better about it or like I got a deal.

I see your point though. To bad I needed them right away or I would have just got them online. No brakes = I die!! haha

I wondeer if this way of biz really pays off considering how many customers dont come back instead of those who pay the full price? I know there are some like me who spend every extra buck on their bike and from now on will be doing it some where else. :(